Top Tech Tidbits - Volume 312
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
Distributed by Flying Blind, LLC
This Issue's Featured Advertisement: Unveiling ALVA USB! The latest 40-Cell Braille Display for Less Than USD $3,000!
This latest ALVA offering provides instant plug-and-play access to all Windows, Macintosh, and Linux computers. It is a true "plug-and-play" device, meaning that no third party drivers are required to set up the device on your computer. Install your favorite screenreader and you will quickly realize how easy and efficient ALVA USB is to use, both in the competitive, employment environment as well as the classroom setting. ALVA USB makes for an affordable companion to your home computer, performing countless tasks both independently and efficiently. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 (216) 381-8107.
1) Serotalk Podcast 71 is out with the latest tech and adaptive tech news and a bit ore besides.
2) On Tek Talk, GMT tuesday, 19 July at 00:00, you can learn about the Victor Reader Stratus, a portable device that plays cd's, mp3's and digital books and includes a high-quality voice for playing text-based DAISY books. The Stratus product page is
and you can join the Tek Talk session as usual at
3) EASI has just created a short pamphlet to help computer support staff who work, at least periodically, with students with disabilities. Frequently these staff have little experience working with this population, and this 7-page pamphlet strives to make the interaction less stressful for the staff and more helpful for the students.
has just created a short pamphlet to help computer support staff who work, at least periodically, with students with disabilities. Frequently these staff have little experience working with this population, and this 7-page pamphlet strives to make the interaction less stressful for the staff and more helpful for the students.
4) On GMT Saturday, July 16 at 01:00, Mark Taylor will be discussing and taking live calls from those using Apple iOS devices including iPhones, iPads, etc via VoiceOver, on his Secret Life of Mark Marcus talk show. To listen to or participate in the conversation, during show time call (724) 898-1193. To learn more about the Secret Life of Mark Marcus including how you can sign up for text message alerts and how you can listen online, go to
5) This Fred's Head post is entitled Change the Background Color in Adobe Reader
6) Here are some of the recent additions and updates to the Gizmo site: Birdsong Free Online
How To Locate The Best Free Radio Stations Streaming Classical Music
Cut Your PC's Energy Usage By Up To 35%
Best Free Word Processor
Some Useful Free Windows Programs for Backing Up Your Files
For questions and comments regarding Tidbits, please e-mail Dean Martineau at email@example.com. Dean Martineau provides adaptive technology training by phone, online, and in person, with flexible arrangements, and at affordable prices.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of the Top Tech Tidbits and Adaptech Insider Newsletters? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this newly-available option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (but make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and I will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the Tidbits archive at https://www.toptechtidbits.com/tidbits2011.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can come to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can subscribe to Top Tech Tidbits on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com. Here you will find an accessibly friendly and secure form into which you can enter your email address, click submit, and begin receiving Tidbits weekly. It's that easy.
| Flying Blind, LLC | 955 Pembrook Road | Cleveland Heights, Ohio 44121 |