Top Tech Tidbits - Volume 314
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
Distributed by Flying Blind, LLC
This Issue's Featured Advertisement: Low-Cost Portable Refreshable Braille Is Here
Looking for a low-cost, Braille input / output device for your iPod, iPad, or iPhone? BraillePen12 and BraillePen Slim give you two affordable state-of -the-art solutions for using refreshable Braille to portably and efficiently access the applications on these, and many other mainstream devices. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 (216) 381-8107.
1) I actually updated the Tidbits RSS feed
I have created a new 32-minute podcast with various vignettes about life, healing, technology, radio, and adventures in Costa rica.
I have also updated and amplified a letter about the healing process we are going through, in rtf format. Feel free to correspond about any aspect of this that interests you.
2) The August 1, 2011 post to the NFB Access Technology Blog is entitled An Initial Reaction to OS X Lion, and includes several links for sources for information about Lion in particular and about using the Mac in general.
3) Another post to the same blog on the same day discusses Adobe Digital Editions
4) A series of four webinars, entitled Braille Transcriber and Teacher Training, is available on the American Printing House webinar site.
5) LouisPlus from APH apparently allows people to look for school-related instructional materials easily from one site
6) This Fred's Head post is called Chat with Your Facebook Contacts through AIM Instant Messenger
7) Another post discusses Braille Institute's VisionSim FREE App for iPhone, iPad and Android Devices
8) SpeedDots, makers of tactile screen protectors for i-devices, now has a web site.
9) Learn about Leader Dogs for the Blind, and more especially about the Kapten GPS system and their program to incorporate it into guide dog training, on Tek Talk on gMT Tuesday, August 9 at 00:00.
10) The Serotalk team continues rhythmically cranking out update podcasts that cover a wide range of topics, keeping up with all the news and providing useful links so we don't have to do it.
11) They also bring us Tech Chat 111: This Month in Access Tech, July 2011
12) FSCast 56 for July 2011 features demonstrations of the recording and playbac capabilities of the Plextalk Pocket.
13) Among the new and updated articles on the gizmo site, we find The Editors' Choice List: Our Selection of the Best PC Freeware
Best Free Trojan Scanner/Trojan Remover
Best Free HTML Editor
Best Free Partition Manager
Best Free Email Client
14) As a back-to-school promotion, you can buy Zoom-Twix for $2,495, saving $400.
For questions and comments regarding Tidbits, please e-mail Dean Martineau at email@example.com. Dean Martineau provides adaptive technology training by phone, online, and in person, with flexible arrangements, and at affordable prices.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of the Top Tech Tidbits and Adaptech Insider Newsletters? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this newly-available option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (but make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and I will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the Tidbits archive at https://www.toptechtidbits.com/tidbits2011.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can come to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can subscribe to Top Tech Tidbits on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com. Here you will find an accessibly friendly and secure form into which you can enter your email address, click submit, and begin receiving Tidbits weekly. It's that easy.
| Flying Blind, LLC | 955 Pembrook Road | Cleveland Heights, Ohio 44121 |