Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, June 28, 2012 - Volume 359
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Come Check out BraillePen at This Year's Summer Conventions!
We're all charged up and ready to hit the road this weekend. We're most pleased to be showing off the BraillePen12 and BraillePen Slim in a series of four International Conferences, which presents us with a fantastic opportunity to bring the world's lowest cost, most versitile Braille input/output device to thousands of current and prospective customers. If you are attending any of the conferences listed below, please stop by the Aroga Technologies booth and check out this pocket-sized alternative that is also easy on your pocket book! Also, try out the newly released clipboard feature which allows users to jot down information on their BraillePen and effortlessly transfer it to their iPad or Mobile phone. Lastly, we'll be providing free shipping on all orders placed at the conference as well as entering customers into a drawing to receive a free BraillePen12 valued at $995.00 USD! So travel safe and be sure to stop by and pay us a visit if you're attending any of these conferences. You'll be glad you did!
National Federation of The Blind National Convention, Hilton Anatole Hotel, Dallas, July 1st -3rd. | American Council of the Blind, Galt House Hotel, Louisville, July 7th - 9th . | AHEAD Conference, Sheraton New Orleans Hotel, July 11th - 13th. | AER International Conference, Hyatt Regency, Bellevue, July 18th - 20th.
1) Alot of AppleVis podcasts have appeared:
CarTunes Music Player: Control the Music on Your iOS Device Using Simple Gestures
GJ Tuner: A Free iOS App to Make Guitar Tuning Easier
iTunes Match: What it is, How it Works, and Whether it's Worth it
AroundMe: Information on Nearby Businesses and Points of Interest
Podcasts: Introducing Apple&'s New Standalone Podcast App for iOS
2) While we're reviewing podcasts, we have two about the not-yet-released typing app for the iPhone that testers are excited about, called Fleksy: From The Tech Doctor Blog and Podcast, Touch Screen Typing: Easier and Faster with Fleksy.
And from Accessible Devices, Show 30 Fleksy
3) According to Serotalk, Triple-Click Home Episode 8 answers the question you've all been wanting to ask: Why Can't I Dictate My Password?
4) Episodes 32 and 33 of the Mystic Place Blog and Podcast deal with Becky Internet Email with screen readers. Episode 32 describes how to configure Becky for optimal accessibility and initial account set up. Episode 33 deals with the address book and sending / viewing attachments.
5) iOS6 isn't out yet, but accessibility improvements are promised. Here's a video explaining Guided Access in iOS6.
6) EASI gives us a free word document, ten tips for online teachers:
7) Kathy ann Murtha offers $75.00 textbooks on PowerPoint 2010 with either JAWS or window-eyes.
8) A growing number of plug-ins are available to enhance the functionality of NVDA.
9) This post, 50 Popular Voice Over Compatible iOS Apps, from the TechKnowMore Blog - RNIB mentioned some that you might not know of:
10) The Described Video (DV) Guide is a comprehensive list of most described television programming across Canada.
11) If you have Usher's Syndrome, register with the Usher's Syndrome Registry to learn about possible treatments and gain support.
12) The National Deaf-Blind Equipment Distribution Program will enable deaf-blind people to receive some significant adaptive technology at little or no cost. Perkins School is conducting outreach for the program. For information, email:
13) Seminars Hadley will present Tuning in with BookPort Plus, addressing the features made available by the device's wireless access, on Wednesday, 11 July at 16:00 TMT.
14) Here are some items from the Gizmo site:
Browse 600,000 Product Manuals Online
Learn How to Be a Google Power Searcher
Best Free Disk De-fragmenter
Create And Publish An Online Survey In Minutes
15) And from the HowToGeek site, we glean:
Week in Geek: Google Finds 9,500 New Malicious Websites Per Day
How to Find Your Computer's Private & Public IP Addresses
The Best Websites for Listening to Podcasts and Learning How to Create Your Own
How to Activate VLC's Web Interface, Control VLC From a Browser, & Use Any Smartphone as a Remote
Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed at www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc. If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using https://toptechtidbits.com/rss. And finally, if audio / video is more your style then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (just make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits Archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the 2012 Tidbits Archive at https://www.toptechtidbits.com/tidbits2012.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com. This method will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.***************************************