Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, July 26, 2012 - Volume 363
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: One Refurbished Juliette 60 Pro for $2,595.00 USD!!!
This sturdily designed workhorse manufactured by Enabling Technologies is a fantastic bargain for the Braille user in need of a heavy duty, yet affordable Braille embosser to produce hardcopy Braille! It's capable of producing large quantities of Braille at a speed of 60 characters per second either on one or both sides of the Braille page. It's speech output functionality serves as the perfect companion for a user wishing to Braille a quick document, or for the individual wishing to produce copious amounts of text on either 8-1/2 by 11 or 11 by 11-1/2 sized paper. Price includes shipping within the 48 Continental United States which means that one lucky Braillist will be saving approximately $2,000.00 on this embosser which has been used for less than 10 hours! This embosser will be sold on a first come, first serve basis, so act now before it's too late! For more information, email email@example.com or call +1 (216) 381-8107 today.
1) The latest Mac operating system, Mountain Lion, was released this week, and David Woodbridge has produced a series of podcasts about it.
Mountain Lion will also be the topic for Main Menu, airing first at 01:00 GMT on Saturday, 28 July and repeating throughout the day.
2) Talk about the Fleksy iPhone App remains plentiful. The creators were interviewed on Blind Access Journal.
And Fleksy is featured among other topics on Program #121 of Talking vision from Australia.
3) The National Federation of the Blind held a "Train the Trainers" event in May. A 14 MB ZIP file of handouts is available on this site:
4) There are several technology-related presentations here:
Audio from the 2012 NFB National Convention is now available at:
5) "Jelly Bean Accessibility Explained: Touch Exploration Augmented By Gestures" is the 24 July post to the Eyes-Free Android blog:
6) Accessing Windows Live Mail with Window-Eyes will be a free online webinar to take place Wednesday, 8 August at 18:00 GMT. Archives will be available.
7) As Windows 8's October release approaches, this blog post, "Using your feedback to make Narrator work better with touch." begins to take on importance.
8) The SeroTalk site contains material on windows 8 Accessibility from the recent conventions as well as interview packages from those conventions.
9) Exact Contact, a free online contact management system with an emphasis on accessibility, is free for consumer use.
10) EASI will offer a free webinar, The DIAGRAM Center: Making Digital Images Accessible, on Wednesday, 8 August at 18:00 GMT.
11) Learn a perspective on the future of assistive and information technology, universal design and more on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday 31 August at 01:00:
Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed at www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc. If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits. And finally, if audio / video is more your style then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (just make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits Archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the 2012 Tidbits Archive at https://www.toptechtidbits.com/tidbits2012.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by texting "FLYINGBLIND" to 22828. Either method will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.***************************************