Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, August 23, 2012 - Volume 367
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Stop By the New Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
Flying Blind, LLC is pleased to announce the launch of its new online store, specializing in proven adaptive technology solutions that you can trust. Just look for "Store" in our main menu at http://www.flying-blind.com or visit the store directly at https://www.toptechtidbits.com/store.html. We have several products still under review that may still be added upon approval. We will also be announcing the availability of a section devoted to all of the refurbished equipment sold by Flying Blind, LLC in the weeks to come. All products sold in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Flying Blind, LLC's founder, Larry L. Lewis, Jr., either personally uses, or publicly endorses. All Flying Blind, LLC Online Store transactions are encrypted and secure. For additional questions please email email@example.com.
1) Verizon wireless is making Mobile Accessibility Suite available to their visually impaired customers running at least version 2.2 of Android and who have a data plan. It bundles together ten apps to improve access to the touch screen.
2) Learn about the Accessible Digital TV Radio, VU Indicator and Auditory Oscilloscope Adaptation, available from Oehm electronics, on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday, 28 August at 00:00. Oehm electronics also repairs vintage Blazie engineering and Telesensory products and entertains ideas for new products.
3) Twitter has produced what is said to be an excellent small business guide for using twitter. This site contains a link to it as well as a simplified version of the guide.
4) NCH Software posts a guest article on its site, touting the fact that its transcription and business point of sale software are all fully accessible to the blind.
5) This VisionAware post, "A Top Eight List of My Favorite Blog Posts by Joe Strechay" offers people researching or coping with vision loss a variety of resources.
6) Ted, which offers "Riveting talks by remarkable people, free to the world."has compiled a list of its 20 most popular talks.
7) This PC World article is called "Three Ways Windows 8 Will Boost Accessibility":
8) The latest Tech Doctor podcast features Tonya Engst, co-founder of TidBITS (not related to this newsletter,) and editor-in-chief of Take Control Books.
9) Podcasts from AppleVis include:
Quicknav and the rotor, Giving VoiceOver users ways to Navigate web Content Effectively with Safari:
And Magic Guide, a brief demo of the Disneyland Resort App:
10) From DansTips newsletter we learn about Bleeping Computer, a community based site for novice users to learn the basics about computers and technology.
And a tutorial on The Basics of Making Advanced Searches With Wildcards and Filters in Windows:
11) Sendero GPS version 2012.5 for the Braillenote and Sense lines of products now comes with an EZ mode which costs 1/3 of the full price, hence $498.
Here is a podcast demonstrating some of the new features:
12) Employment opportunities: The Society for the blind in Sacramento, CA, is seeking an adaptive technology instructor. Email resume and cover letter to:
And Fidelity Investments seeks to contract a web Accessibility Specialist:
Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed at www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc. If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits. And finally, if audio / video is more your style then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (just make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits Archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the 2012 Tidbits Archive at https://www.toptechtidbits.com/tidbits2012.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by texting "FLYINGBLIND" to 22828. Either method will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.***************************************