Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, August 30, 2012 - Volume 368
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Stop By the New Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
Flying Blind, LLC is pleased to announce the launch of its new online store, specializing in proven adaptive technology solutions that you can trust. Just look for "Store" in our main menu at http://www.flying-blind.com or visit the store directly at https://www.toptechtidbits.com/store.html. We have several products still under review that may still be added upon approval. We will also be announcing the availability of a section devoted to all of the refurbished equipment sold by Flying Blind, LLC in the weeks to come. All products sold in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Flying Blind, LLC's founder, Larry L. Lewis, Jr., either personally uses, or publicly endorses. All Flying Blind, LLC Online Store transactions are encrypted and secure. For additional questions please email email@example.com.
1) This is a clear explanation of blog accessibility, with links to useful resources, from Below the Fold.
2) Knowbility claims to pay US access technology users for web site accessibility testing.
3) If you love working in shell windows and feel at home at the command line, Holly may be the to-do app for you:
4) CAVI will start its $150 ten-week audio editing course in mid-September.
5) Talking Scientific Calculator is a $4.95 iOS app that allows full calculator use with braille and Bluetooth keyboards, and gives the user the choice to receive feedback using the human voice or VoiceOver. This is an App Store link:
6) The people behind the Mac-cessibility Network have posted a page with listings of accessible iOS apps in 33 categories. The list is not exhaustive, but all the apps have been found to be accessible by blind users.
7) A presentation on audio games for the blind, discussing console gaming and Japanese role-playing games, is located on this page and is likely to contain some hitherto unknown gaming resources.
8) The Main Menu Show, first airing at 01:00 on GMT Saturday, 1 September, covers a lot of ground, with segments on OBI DAISY production software, The Swamp audio game, using iCloud with VoiceOver on the Mac, and more.
9) Recordings of the 2012 Job Seekers Seminar and an employment committee meeting which is said to have become another seminar, from the 2012 National Federation of the Blind convention, may be of interest.
10) Recent posts to the NFB Access Technology Blog include:
BrailleEdge 40: The Newest Offering by HIMS-Inc.
Robo Braille: Eenhancing the Accessibility of Documents
11) Recent iOS and Mac-related podcasts include:
AppShopper, a Guide and Walk-Through
Blogging on the GO: A Guide to the Wordpress iOS App:
Remap the Keys on your Mac's Keyboard to Enhance the VoiceOver Experience
12) EASI's $350 online course for September is "Creating and Repurposing More Accessible Documents"
13) This CNET article is called "Six Tips for Managing your iTunes Library"
14) This guide from AppleVis is called "Ringtones for Rookies: 11 Easy Steps to Getting all your Favorites onto your iPhone"
15) This Lifehacker piece, "Top 10 Tools That Are Better in the Command Line," is Linux-centric, but Mac users can run these from their terminals, and windows users can install a program to make these tips useful.
16) Some articles from HowTo Geek:
How To Switch Webmail Providers Without Losing All Your Email
How to Combine All Your Email Addresses into One Outlook.com Inbox
The Best Articles for Using and Customizing Windows 8
What is DNS?
Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed at www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc. If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits. And finally, if audio / video is more your style then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (just make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits Archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the 2012 Tidbits Archive at https://www.toptechtidbits.com/tidbits2012.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by texting "FLYINGBLIND" to 22828. Either method will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.***************************************