Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, November 8, 2012 - Volume 378
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: 3 BrailleSense Notetakers for $1,695.00 USD each!!!
Flying Blind, LLC is currently offering 3 BrailleSense notetakers manufactured by Hims for the unbeatable price of $1,695.00 USD each! Each device comes with a 90-day manufacturer warranty. We currently have 1 (One) BrailleSense Classic with Braille Keyboard, and 2 (Two) BrailleSense Plus with a QWERTY keyboard. These gently-used robust solutions are the perfect companion for the Braille user wishing to organize their life at a most affordable price, which also includes shipping within the Continental United States. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 (216) 381-8107 today. All units will be sold on a first-come, first-serve basis, so act now while supplies last!
1) We'll put the listing of recent podcasts first this time around:
An Introduction to the New Apple Maps App in iOS
Demonstration of the iPad Mini
Pandora Radio: Create Your Own Personalized Radio Station
iTunes Tutorial #6: Manually Transferring a Podcast File to your iDevice
iTunes Tutorial #7: Connecting Your iDevice and Synchronize for the First Time
iTunes Tutorial #8: Updating to the Latest Version of iOS Via your Computer
iTunes Tutorial #9: Transferring iOS Apps Between Libraries
FSCast #71, Interview with a Blind Travel Agent
New Tech Doctor podcast "Amazon Kindle Accessibility"
SeroTalk Podcast #131
2) The November, 2012 issue of AccessWorld includes reviews of the Plextalk PTN2 and the Fleksy App, an article on Navigating Online Shopping Websites with a Screen Reader, The AccessWorld Holiday Gift Guide 2012, Tips for navigating airports as a blind person, Results of a survey on the accessibility of travel sites, and more.
3) If you were planning to buy a BrailleNote or BrailleSense product, and you buy it through Sendero by the end of the year, you get their GPS free.
4) The American Foundation for the Blind has been offering the free online course, Bridging the Gap: Best Practices for Instructing Adults Who Are Visually Impaired and Have Low Literacy Skills, for the past eight years. They will discontinue it for revision at the end of the year. If you want to take it before this happens, you need to register by December 1.
5) AFB offers a four-part series of low-vision technology webinars. They can be purchased for $25 each or $65 for the series.
6) A textbook on JAWS 14 and Internet Explorer 9 is now available for $80.
7) Those living in Europe, India, Australia or New Zealand who meet the qualifications may be able to become a certified trainer for Kathy Ann Murtha's organization. She is expanding into offering training in those regions. Send a resume to:
And fill out the application located at:
8) The second installment of Stocking Stuffers, holiday gift-giving ideas, will air on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday, 13 November at 01:00.
9) Here is a series of webinars on web accessibility from the University of Hawaii:
10) Blogs of Joe Orozco and the NFB Technology Center contain reviews of the Microsoft Surface RT running Narrator, and both come to very similar conclusions. Here is Joe's review:
And the AT Blog:
11) The AT Blog also offers a brief dismissal of the Kindle Paper White:
And a more lengthy dismissal of the Nook HD:
Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed at www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc. If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits. And finally, if audio / video is more your style then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
Shopping for accessible technology? Check out the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at www.flying-blind.com/store.html. All products offered in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Larry L. Lewis, Jr. either personally uses, or publicly endorses. Flying Blind, LLC is proud to offer free shipping & handling on all of our products, within the 48 continental United States.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (just make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits Archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the 2012 Tidbits Archive at https://www.toptechtidbits.com/tidbits2012.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at email@example.com.
You can subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by texting "FLYINGBLIND" to 22828. Either method will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.***************************************