Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, November 15, 2012 - Volume 379
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Two Refurbished BrailleConnect 40 Cell Braille Displays For $1,995.00 USD Each!!!
That's right! Flying Blind, LLC is selling a couple of gently used BrailleConnect 40 Cell Braille Terminals for 1,995.00 USD each -- that's approximately $3,000.00 USD off of their suggested list prices!!! These Braille displays offer USB and Bluetooth connectivity to all of today's desktop and portable Windows and Apple computers and handheld devices. Its Braille input keys make wireless data entry into devices with a touch screen both effortless and efficient. These displays come with a one year warranty and will be sold on a first come, first serve basis. For more information, email email@example.com or call +1 (216) 381-8107 today. Act now before it's too late to score on this ridiculously fantastic bargain!!!
1) This is a Microsoft page documenting Narrator under Windows 8, with links to other Windows 8 information.
2) The Braille Plus 18 is now actually out. It is the first Android device designed specifically for students and adults who are Braille users. Learn about it on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday, 20 November at 01:00.
3) Belarc Advisor is a well-respected, fully accessible program that does a Free Personal PC Audit, for software, hardware, and security configuration information on your computer. A new version is out giving information about missing Adobe and Java security updates among other information.
4) Text Browser is a Google Script powered way to browse the web with only text.
5) Here are several posts on web accessibility from the Humanising Technology Blog.
6) NVDASR 2012.3 is here, with 30 new features and 50 fixes.
7) This article is entitled "A Guide to Making the Switch from Using a Windows Screen Reader to VoiceOver on a Mac".
8) Amazon Prime users can borrow one book per month for free reading. The Kindle is generally inaccessible, but Lisa Salinger outlines a way screen reader users can take advantage of this feature.
9) IDEAL Reader is a fully accessible eBook Reader for Android. The app is in beta now, and supports books in Epub2 and Epub3 format, with support for Daisy2 and Daisy3 coming.
10) The webinar "Out of Sight, Not Out of Mind: Advances in Vision Rehabilitation - A Multidisciplinary View" is available for $25 from the AFB E-Learning Center. It discusses the most recent information available about the causes and treatment of AMD (Age-related Macular Degeneration), concise and informational overviews of the effects of aging on vision, the emotional and psychological components of vision loss, and the integration of the individual's psychological recovery into low vision services delivery.
Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed at www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc. If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits. And finally, if audio / video is more your style then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
Shopping for accessible technology? Check out the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at www.flying-blind.com/store.html. All products offered in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Larry L. Lewis, Jr. either personally uses, or publicly endorses. Flying Blind, LLC is proud to offer free shipping & handling on all of our products, within the 48 continental United States.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (just make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits Archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the 2012 Tidbits Archive at https://www.toptechtidbits.com/tidbits2012.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by texting "FLYINGBLIND" to 22828. Either method will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.***************************************