Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, January 10, 2013 - Volume 387
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: One Refurbished Classic Focus 40 Refreshable Braille Terminal for USD $995.00!!!
We start off the new year with a fantastic deal on an original Focus 40 Braille Terminal. This is a fantastic bargain for the desktop/laptop PC user looking for a 40-Cell USB Braille display for less than 1K! This unit is in pristine condition and works seamlessly with the globally acclaimed JAWS For Windows Screen Reader, along with all other commercial screen reading solutions. Price includes shipping within the 48 Continental United States and this unit will be sold on a first come, first serve basis. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 (216) 381-8107 today.
1) This post is entitled "5 Apps: The Best Camera Aapps for Blind and Visually Impaired iPhone Users":
2) SixthSense is a new 3D sound horror shooting game for iOS which is reported to be quite accessible.
3) CAVI is offering the "Building Websites With HTML 5", "Audio Editing Fundamentals", "Computers 101 with Mac or PC", and other courses starting in February. Individuals generally pay $150.00 USD per course.
4) Fleksy is quite a popular iOS app among the blind. Here is a mainstream review of the App from the Consumer Electronics Show.
5) "Adventures In Android" is a budding blog chronicling one blind user's experiences exploring this operating system.
6) Learn how to burn CD's and DVD's with Express Burn on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday, 15 January at 01:00.
7) National Braille Press has launched its own blog.
8) This fun article, focusing on the experience of browsing the web, carries the title "Things I learned by Pretending to be Blind for a Week":
9) The entire hour of Main Menu this week is devoted to the new BARD web site from NLS.
10) LevelUp, a mobile payment platform for Android and IOS, has been made accessible to blind users. With LevelUp, a customer receives a discount upon initial use at a participating merchant, can earn loyalty discounts, can independently enter in a tip percentage, and can receive a digital receipt in app and by email. LevelUp is accepted at over 4,000 US merchant locations, and has 500,000 users. You can sign up for LevelUp and receive an extra $5 off at:
Read the official LevelUp Accessibility Press Release:
11) Ian Humphreys of Spoonbill Software has outdone himself and produced six new free self-voicing games for the PC: BG Poker Solitaire, BG Cribbage Solitaire, BG Spider Solitaire, BG Pyramid Solitaire, BG Nomination Whist, BG Mine Sweeper. Read about these and the other 20 accessible games and see how to email your order at:
12) Turning to podcasts:
In episode 46 of the Mystic Place Podcast, Chris demonstrates, on the Nexus 7 and the iPad, and discusses Shiprack, a Package Tracking App for both Android and iOS:
Robert Carter was part of a National Geographic expedition to Antarctica, and he gives us Sounds of Antarctica:
From AppleVis, we have "A Guide for VoiceOver Users on Enabling and Using Multitasking Gestures on the iPad":
And "A Guide for VoiceOver Users on Finding and Downloading Books from the iBook Store":
Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed at www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc. If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits. And finally, if audio / video is more your style then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
Shopping for accessible technology? Check out the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at www.flying-blind.com/store.html. All products offered in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Larry L. Lewis, Jr. either personally uses, or publicly endorses. Flying Blind, LLC is proud to offer free shipping & handling on all orders over $100.00 USD within the 48 continental United States.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (just make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits Archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the 2012 Tidbits Archive at https://www.toptechtidbits.com/tidbits2012.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at email@example.com.
You can subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by texting "FLYINGBLIND" to 22828. Either method will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.***************************************