Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, March 21, 2013 - Volume 397
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Two Refurbished BraillePen 12's for $895.00 USD!!!
Flying Blind, LLC is pleased to announce the availability of two gently used BraillePen 12 cell refreshable Braille displays with 90 day warranties for $895.00 USD each. These inexpensive, portable, refreshable Braille options are the perfect, pocket-sized companion for your iPhone or Android handset, touting excellent, responsive refreshable Braille cells coupled with a Perkins-style Braille keyboard designed for efficient Braille input. BraillePen12 is a Flying Blind, LLC Endorsed Product and both units are priced at $200.00 USD off of their current suggested list price, not to mention the additional $30 you save on shipping for customers within the 48 continental United States! For more information, email email@example.com or call +1 (216) 381-8107. Units will be sold on a first come, first serve basis, so act now while they last!
Happy Naw-Ruz (New Year) to all the Baha'is and Persians who are celebrating today!
1) ZoomText ImageReader is a new PC / Camera-Based OCR system from Ai Squared. The cost is $749.00 or $849.00 depending on which camera you buy, and owners of ZoomText get a discount.
2) RNIB offers Getting Interested in Technology videos, covering a variety of topics, and each with written transcript and subtitled edition.
3) National Braille Press offers iPhone iOS6 Updates to Getting Started with the iPhone for Blind Users By Anna Dresner, In Braille, eBraille, Word, ASCII text, DAISY: for $9:
4) "Handling Erratic Behavior with AT" is an article that gives systematic ideas for dealing with JAWS quirks:
5) The March, 2013 issue of AccessWorld contains "Series: Mac, PC, or Both: Choices for Blind and Visually Impaired Computer Users, Part I," "CSUN 2013 Wrap-up: What's New from The 28th Annual International Technology and Persons with Disabilities Conference", "A Collection of Accessible Apps for Your Android Device", and more:
6) An accessibility evaluation of the MFJ 1786 Magnetic Loop antenna for Ham Radio operators has been posted on the Active Elements website.
7) Learn about the newest features of Bookshare, and some familiar ones, on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday, 26 March at 00:00.
8) This article is called "Exploring Accessible Publishing for the Print Disabled":
9) From Marco's Accessibility Blog comes "Review: Dell Latitude 10 inch tablet with Windows 8":
Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed at www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc. If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits. And finally, if audio / video is more your style then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
Shopping for accessible technology? Check out the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at www.flying-blind.com/store.html. All products offered in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Larry L. Lewis, Jr. either personally uses, or publicly endorses. Flying Blind, LLC is proud to offer free shipping & handling on all orders over $100.00 USD within the 48 continental United States.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (just make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits Archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the 2013 Tidbits Archive at https://www.toptechtidbits.com/tidbits2013.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by texting "FLYINGBLIND" to 22828. Either method will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.***************************************