Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, August 29, 2013 - Volume 420
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: One (1) Gently Used BrailleNote Apex 32 Cell Notetaker with Perkins Style Braille Keyboard for $2,995.00 USD !!!
Flying Blind, LLC is very excited to have One (1) Refurbished BrailleNote Apex32 Notetaker with Perkins Style Braille Keyboard available for $2,995.00 USD, which is approximately $2,600.00 USD off of its suggested list price!!! For the past 13 years the BrailleNote name has been synonymous with excellence and innovation and the Apex continues to set standards that other notetakers have yet to meet. This unit is in pristine condition and is begging for a new home with a responsible user. This exceptionally priced gem will give you the time you need to have the time of your life! That, and its robust yet intuitive functionality will offer limitless options to whomever is first to receive it. This is a single unit that will be sold on a first come, first serve basis. Price includes shipping within the Continental United States. To be the first to secure this unit please use the Buy Now link included below. For more information or to order this product offline, email email@example.com or call +1 (216) 381-8107 today!
Buy Now - One (1) Gently Used BrailleNote Apex 32 Cell Notetaker with Perkins Style Braille Keyboard for $2,995.00 USD:
1) This article by David Pogue, which hopefully everybody can access, compares speech input features on iOS and Android:
2) Twitter has launched a blog on Improving the accessibility of Twitter:
3) A beta version of a Learning Ally app is now to be found for Android:
4) Learn about Prodigi, the "Touch-Controlled 2-in-1 Personal Vision Assistant" from HumanWare, on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday, 10 September at 00:00:
5) GW Micro willl hold a free training webinar, "Accessing Dropbox, Google Drive and Microsoft SkyDrive with Window-Eyes" on Wednesday, 11 September at 18:00 GMT. As always the webinar will be available for later download, and worksheets are available to assist with learning:
6) CAVI will hold a three-hour, $30 workshop, "Getting Productive and Organized With Dropbox", via TeamTalk, in two timeslots to accommodate people throughout the world on Sunday, 8 September at 18:00 GMT, and Monday, 9 September at 00:00 GMT. Perhaps the easiest way to get more information is to email:
7) Jonathan Mosen has been testing the forthcoming iOS upgrade, iOS 7, which might come out for general use sometime in September. While he was at it, he wrote an e-book, iOS 7 Without the Eye, and if you buy it before the iOS7 release, you'll get the book the same day iOS7 is released and pay half price, $9.95.
8) Meanwhile, Sarah K. Alawami will be preparing a tutorial on Mavericks, the forthcoming Mac OS. She's conducting a survey about this tutorial, open until about a week before the OS is released:
9) Here are two blog posts of a tour of American Printing House for the Blind:
10) Cathy Ann Murtha will offer a $125 webinar, "An Introduction to Outlook 2013", on Saturday, 7 September at 23:00 GMT:
11) Here is a post about the digital divide and people with disabilities:
12) Development continues on JAWS scripts for Skype, with updates covering up to version 6.7:
13) One Foundation is an iOS solitaire game that works with VoiceOver:
14) The people at BCAB, British Computer Association for the Blind, recommend NCH Software as a good source for CD Burning programs and others:
15) The HowToGeek people give us "5 Ways to Run Linux Software on Windows"
16) AFB offers a $29.95 webinar, "iPad and Communication for Students with Visual and Multiple Disabilities"
17) Looking at the various new audio content available, documentation for the new generation Victor Reader Stream is available including an audio tutorial:
Eyes on Success joins the legions that have recorded podcasts regarding the TI-84 Plus scientific programmable graphing calculator:
Learn what's in the upcoming NVDA 2013.2 release and about the company's new release process in NVAccess Podcast #6:
The Physics Central podcast features an interview with John Gardner, creator of View Plus:
We've mentioned these tutorials on using Garage Band before, but here they are in one place:
Our Place podcast, with a direct link to the file, Demystifying Android, Part 4:
Audio from many sessions of the Visions 2013 conference can be found here:
Episode #21 of the iOS-related podcast Triple Click Home is out:
Also from the SPN network, SeroTalk Podcast 165:
And SeroTalk Podcast 166:
Episode 6 of The Fedora Outlier's Delivering Access Podcast focuses on Michael Hansen of the AppleVis team:
Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed at www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc. If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits. And finally, if audio / video is more your style then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
Shopping for accessible technology? Check out the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at www.flying-blind.com/store.html. All products offered in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Larry L. Lewis, Jr. either personally uses, or publicly endorses. Flying Blind, LLC is proud to offer free shipping & handling on all orders over $100.00 USD within the 48 continental United States.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (just make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits Archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the 2013 Tidbits Archive at https://www.toptechtidbits.com/tidbits2013.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by texting "FLYINGBLIND" to 22828. Either method will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.***************************************