Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, September 5, 2013 - Volume 421
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: One (1) Gently Used BrailleNote Apex 32 Cell Notetaker with Perkins Style Braille Keyboard for $2,995.00 USD !!!
Flying Blind, LLC is very excited to have One (1) Refurbished BrailleNote Apex32 Notetaker with Perkins Style Braille Keyboard available for $2,995.00 USD, which is approximately $2,600.00 USD off of its suggested list price!!! For the past 13 years the BrailleNote name has been synonymous with excellence and innovation and the Apex continues to set standards that other notetakers have yet to meet. This unit is in pristine condition and is begging for a new home with a responsible user. This exceptionally priced gem will give you the time you need to have the time of your life! That, and its robust yet intuitive functionality will offer limitless options to whomever is first to receive it. This is a single unit that will be sold on a first come, first serve basis. Price includes shipping within the Continental United States. To be the first to secure this unit please use the Buy Now link included below. For more information or to order this product offline, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 (216) 381-8107 today!
Buy Now - One (1) Gently Used BrailleNote Apex 32 Cell Notetaker with Perkins Style Braille Keyboard for $2,995.00 USD:
1) This page, from the How to be Blind site, offers a listing of accessible apps for iOS and Android with brief descriptions:
2) This is a pretty clear review by Walt Mossberg of Wall Street Journal of the Jitterbug Touch 2, a smartphone intended for the senior market:
3) Accessibility.TV seems to strive to be a one-stop site to view adaptive technology demonstration and training videos made by different companies.
4) The BTBL Computer Club in Michigan will be holding a demo of the soon-to-be-released BARD App for iOS, and you can listen in via computer using the Talking Commmunities program. The session will run from GMT 14:30-16:30 on Saturday 21 September. To connect, use this link:
5) Learn about Prodigi: The groundbreaking, touch-controlled 2-in-1 Personal Vision Assistant from Humanware on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday, 10 September at 00:00:
6) Courtesy of the NFB AT blog comes "The Braille Edge: New firmware, new case, almost like having a new device."
7) SBB BART Group will present a three-part webinar series on electronic document accessibility, Accessible Documents in the Enterprise - PDF, Office and Beyond. The 45-minute sessions will take place on Thursdays 12 and 19 September and 3 October starting at 18:00 GMT:
8) The International Academy Of Low Vision Specialists has launched a New Website for Patients and Caregivers:
9) Here are some articles of potential interest from HowToGeek:
RAM Disks Explained: What They Are and Why You Probably Shouldn't Use One:
How to Send Large Files Over Email:
How to Install Microsoft Office on Linux:
10) BookShare offers free webinars for parents and special education personnel:
11) Accessibility reviews of LevTec Speaking Clock version 6.05, Replay Music 5 version 5.55 and Video Padlock version 1.2 have been added to theAccessWatch Review System:
Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed at www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc. If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits. And finally, if audio / video is more your style then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
Shopping for accessible technology? Check out the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at www.flying-blind.com/store.html. All products offered in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Larry L. Lewis, Jr. either personally uses, or publicly endorses. Flying Blind, LLC is proud to offer free shipping & handling on all orders over $100.00 USD within the 48 continental United States.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (just make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits Archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the 2013 Tidbits Archive at https://www.toptechtidbits.com/tidbits2013.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at email@example.com.
You can subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by texting "FLYINGBLIND" to 22828. Either method will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.***************************************