Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, December 5, 2013 - Volume 434
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Flying Blind, LLC Online Store Offers Great Deals on All of Your Holiday Shopping High Tech and Low Tech Blind / Low-Vision Needs!!!
Stop by the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at https://www.toptechtidbits.com/store.html for great deals on all of your high tech and low tech blind / low-vision needs. We offer a variety of products to assist you with everything from sophisticated technology tasks to those day-to-day items that just make living a little more convenient for us. We're offering the new BraillePen12 Touch for $100.00 USD off of its suggested list price through the end of the year, as well as free shipping on all orders $50.00 USD or more. Lastly, we're providing a free audio copy of the book 'Out of the Whirlpool', authored and narrated by Sue W. Martin, on all orders $100.00 USD or more. Making this book the perfect companion for those of you in the market for a new Victor Reader Stream as well. You may also order the book by itself, in your preferred format (PDF, MP3, or Print) for $17.95 USD. For more information on any of these products, or to place your order offline, give us a call at +1 (216) 381-8107. We're standing by to assist you with all of your holiday shopping needs!
1) Check out the November 2013 DAISY Planet Newsletter:
2) Learn about the new Braille Sense U2 Mini, which is due to start shipping in late December, on Tek Talk for GMT Tuesday, 10 December at 01:00:
3A) Meanwhile, Executive Products has begun to sell customized cases for the Braille Sense U2:
3B) And U2 Mini:
4) This schedule of audio-described TV programs in the US is updated weekly:
5) Audiobooks HQ is reputed to be the most popular audiobook app for iOS, with a collection of 7,500 books from several sources. Now this $1.95 App has been made VoiceOver accessible. The creator, Inkstone Mobile, says it is adding VoiceOver support to its other apps, which include one for French audiobooks, one for audio bibles, and one for eBook searching:
6) This LifeHacker article is called 'Navigate Files Like a Pro with These Windows Explorer Tips and Tricks':
7) GW Micro has added several Microsoft Office-related articles to its Knowledgebase:
7A) Accessing Attachments in Outlook:
7B) Window-Eyes Does Not Read A Microsoft Word Document:
7C) Exit Protected View In Microsoft Office:
7D) And if you missed Part Two of using iTunes with Window-Eyes, you can now stream or download the audio from this episode of the free monthly training webinar, as well as access the study guides from:
8A) Astec has released SayMagic, which brings advanced support for using Dragon Naturally Speaking Pro with MAGic. The program costs 275 pounds. Readers in the UK and elsewhere can contact Astec:
8B) And users in the US can contact Next Generation Technology:
9) From the HowToGeek comes 'Wireless Printing Explained: AirPrint, Google Cloud Print, iPrint, ePrint, and More':
10) The American Thermoform Corporation (ATC) has established the 3D Tactile Graphics Products Division. This newly created division will focus on 3D printers and milling machines for creating tactile materials. More information is available at:
11) If you buy the SenderoMaps and Sense Navigation audio tutorial bundle, it will cost you $44 instead of $59 for the individual tutorials:
12) Read a transcript of an interview with Sina Bahram about his life and about creating accessible web sites:
13) NV Access Announces the release of NVDASR 2013.3, with its improvements to touch screen access and Microsoft Office functionality:
14) QRead 2.31 has been released, including Removal of bookshare page numbers during read-all and more reading improvements:
15) I had some trouble getting this to play, but maybe you won't, and it's worth the listen: Have you been iritated lately by the repeated 'Screen locked' messages in iOS 7? Well, you aren't alone, and here's a song about it:
16) In audio content:
16A) AppleVis Brings Us LaunchBar for OS X: Quickly Start Applications, Open Documents, Play Music, Compose Emails, Navigate the Web, and Much More:
16B) UK Bus Checker for iOS: Real-Time Arrival and Route Information:
16C) Using Siri to Set More Specific Times in the iOS Clock and Reminders Apps:
16D) Cribbage Pro: Play this Classic Card Game on your iOS Device:
16E) Radium: Perfect Internet Radio for your iOS Device:
16F) And the latest shows from Eyes on Success include one on the MBraille App and one on overcoming challenges:
Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed at www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc. If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits. And finally, if audio / video is more your style then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
Shopping for accessible technology? Check out the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at www.flying-blind.com/store.html. All products offered in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Larry L. Lewis, Jr. either personally uses, or publicly endorses. Flying Blind, LLC is proud to offer free shipping & handling on all orders over $100.00 USD within the 48 continental United States.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (just make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits Archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the 2013 Tidbits Archive at https://www.toptechtidbits.com/tidbits2013.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by texting "FLYINGBLIND" to 22828. Either method will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.***************************************