Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, April 24, 2014 - Volume 454
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: One Refurbished Brailliant BI 40 Cell Refreshable Braille Display for $2,395.00 USD !!!
This gently used new generation of Brailliant refreshable Braille displays gives you desktop USB/Bluetooth access in a form factor conducive for use with your favorite portable tablet/smartphone. Ergonomic thumbkeys together with Braille input keys make entering Braille text and navigating through the most complex Apps a snap for Windows, iOS, or Android users. The Brailliant BI line of displays are Flying Blind, LLC's preferred and most-used desktop Braille displays in a variety of settings. This unit ships with close to one year remaining on its manufacturer's warranty and is listed here at over 20% off of its suggested retail price! We'll even throw in an additional Brailliant carrying case, valued at $90.00 USD, to anyone wishing to add a splash of style and class to their Brailliant!!! Price includes shipping within the 48 Continental United States. This unit will be sold on a first come, first serve basis. To be the first to secure this unit please use the Buy Now link included below. For more information, or to order this product offline, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 (216) 381-8107 today.
Buy Now - One Refurbished Brailliant BI 40 Cell Refreshable Braille Display for $2,395.00 USD - Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
1) On May 1 and 2 Freedom Scientific will conduct a free, two-part webinar on PDF reading and strategies using JAWS and MAGic.
2) Window-Eyes is now available in Japanese, both the free version for Office users and the retail version:
3) GW Micro has upgraded the JAWS Quick Key App to version 1.2:
4) Learn about the Odin cell phone for the blind, produced by Perkins Products, on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday, 29 April at 00:00:
5) From an Australian viewpoint, this post is entitled "A How-To Guide to Navigating Geo-Blocking - Circumventing Geo-Blocking and Online Price Discrimination":
6) For JAWS Scripters: How to Compile Against JAWS 11 Etc. Under Windows 8.1:
7) Apple Has Opened Up OS X Beta Testing to All Users:
8) From the MSDN blog, this new story explores "Braille's Role and Use in Accessible Technology and the Digital Age":
9) Learn about "How To Supercharge Siri On iPhone - No Jailbreak Required" [VIDEO]:
10) From CNET, get one columnist's view on the "Long-Term Take: Surface Pro 2 vs. iPad Air":
11) The Human Resources Social Network offers us the article "Hiring Blind: The Misconceptions Facing America's Visually Impaired Workforce":
12) A third-party snapshot for NVDA which improves usage of Microsoft Outlook Calendar is now available for testing:
There are a couple new Guide articles on the AppleVis site:
13A) Getting Started with OS X Safari:
13B) And Understanding and Using VoiceOver's Commanders:
14) Legendary British News Agency Path's 85,000-Video Archive, with news items from 1896-1976, Is Now on YouTube:
15) Read about the iOS weight-loss app MyFitnessPal thanks to Horizons for the Blind:
15) You may well want to check out "7-128 Software - Top 25 Sites for Gamers Who Are Blind - 2014":
And turning to audio for the week:
16A) We start with a SoundCloud posting, Six iPhone microphones, and a look at iOS noise reduction:
16B) Tips on working with your Blindness Rehab Councelor:
16C) The latest Tech Doctor podcast is called Global Perspective:
16D) Eyes On Success #1417 is called "Services from the National Federation of the Blind":
Finally, from BgZ, come:
16E) Olympus DM620 Demonstration:
16F) An Overview of Scottevest Clothing:
SUBSCRIBE: Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com. Either of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your name and email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.
FACEBOOK: Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed: http://www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc.
YOUTUBE: If audio / video is more your style, then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
RSS FEED: If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using: https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits.
ONLINE STORE: Shopping for accessible technology? Check out the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/store.html. All products offered in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Larry L. Lewis, Jr. either personally uses, or publicly endorses. Flying Blind, LLC is proud to offer free shipping & handling on all orders over $100.00 USD within the 48 continental United States.
QUESTIONS: Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVE: Visit the 2014 Tidbits Archive at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/tidbits2014.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT: Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at: email@example.com.***************************************