Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, October 2, 2014 - Volume 477
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: One Refurbished Brailliant BI 40 Cell Refreshable Braille Display for $2,100.00 USD !!!
We're back with another refurbished, top-of-the-line, wireless Braille display at a tremendous savings! This gently used new generation of Brailliant Refreshable Braille displays gives you desktop USB/Bluetooth access in a form factor conducive to use with your favorite portable tablet and/or smartphone. Ergonomic thumbkeys together with Braille input keys make entering Braille text and navigating through the most complex Apps a snap for Windows, iOS, and Android users. The Brailliant BI line of displays are Flying Blind, LLC's preferred and most-used desktop Braille displays in a variety of educational, vocational, and communal settings. This unit ships with approximately nine months remaining on its manufacturer's warranty, is in fantastic condition, and is listed here at over 30% off of its suggested retail price, giving you an approximate $1,000.00 USD savings! We'll even throw in an additional Executive Products carrying case, valued at $90.00 USD, to anyone wishing to add a splash of style and class to their Brailliant!!! Price includes shipping within the 48 Continental United States. This unit will be sold on a first come, first serve basis. To be the first to secure this unit please use the Buy Now link included below. For more information, or to order this product offline, email email@example.com or call +1 (216) 381-8107 today.Buy Now - One Refurbished Brailliant BI 40 Cell Refreshable Braille Display for $2,100.00 USD - Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
1) There's a Wikipedia article on screen readers, and it has received positive reviews:
2) This is the story of the creation of Voice Dream Reader by its developer:
3) From the AFB Bookstore, you can buy the $49.95 pre-recorded webinar with transcript and slides, "Teaching iPhone and iPad Basics to Seniors with Vision Loss":
4) Here are resources and Information from a professional for Developing a Great Podcasting Voice
5) Sight Enhancement Systems has launched two New Scientific Calculators For The Visually Impaired:
6) The next HIMS webinar will be entitled "Using EBot for Greater Independence at Home," and will take place on Tuesday, 14 October at 19:00 GMT. Register here:
7) Learn about "The Kyocera Verve Telephone For Blind Persons" from Sprint on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday, 7 October at 00:00:
8) Jonathan Mosen's book, iOS Without the Eye, is now available in many formats from National Braille Press for $19.95:
9) You can get phone training on ZoomText for $90/hour, except that until the end of the year it only costs $160 for two hours:
10) An update is available for the Qube twitter client used by many:
Please Note: We're not finishing with audio this week, so there's more to follow! But in the audio department:
11A) SeroTalk podcast 213 is out:
11B) Also from the SPN Network, we get That Android Show, Episode 32
11C) And High Contrast Episode 25:
11D) Elsewhere, learn about parenting a blind child on Eyes on Success #1440:
11E) This downloadable recording concerns Kindle for PC:
11F) The latest Tech Doctor podcast features part of the team creating CrowdViz, which seeks to use FaceTime to link blind iPhone users to volunteers who can assist them with specific visual tasks:
11G) Podcast 100 of Web Axe discusses Wordpress accessibility and includes a transcript:
And five podcasts from BGZ:
11H) YTD Video Downloader
11I) iPhone 5c:
11J) The Rode to Rage:
11K) Microsoft One Drive, Part One:
11L) KNFB Reader App for iPhone:
12) Among lots of other things, this site contains MP3 files designed to teach keyboarding to the blind:
13) This is an online tutorial on the Nemeth Code:
14) A series of six beginner and intermediate online iPhone classes will start soon. Each class costs $50:
15) Those seeking to use the new Braille input feature of iOS8 may want to study Apple's help page about the feature:
SUBSCRIBE: Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by (SMS) texting "TOPTECHTIDBITS" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your name and email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.
FACEBOOK: Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed: http://www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc.
YOUTUBE: If audio / video is more your style, then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
RSS FEED: If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using: https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits.
ONLINE STORE: Shopping for accessible technology? Check out the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/store.html. All products offered in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Larry L. Lewis, Jr. either personally uses, or publicly endorses. Flying Blind, LLC is proud to offer free shipping & handling on all orders over $100.00 USD within the 48 continental United States.
QUESTIONS: Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVE: Visit the 2014 Tidbits Archive at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/tidbits2014.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT: Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at: firstname.lastname@example.org.***************************************