Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, October 23, 2014 - Volume 480
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: One Practically New Focus 40 Blue Refreshable Braille Display for $2,195.00 USD!!!
Flying Blind, LLC is pleased to offer one fortunate user a gently used Focus 40 Blue Refreshable Braille Display manufactured by Freedom Scientific. This unit has approximately 9 months left on its manufacturer's warranty, and is in fantastic shape! This is a fantastic solution for JAWS users also wishing to access tablets and smartphones. This Focus is just waiting to be given a new home with a responsible user who is looking for an amazing bargain on a responsive display which touts both versatility and efficiency. Price includes shipping within the 48 Continental United States, giving you a 25% discount off of its standard list price. This is a single unit that will be sold on a first come, first serve basis. To be the first to secure this Focus as a key player in your AdapTech journey, please use the Buy Now link included below. For more information, or to order this product offline, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 (216) 381-8107 today!
Buy Now - One Practically New Focus 40 Blue Refreshable Braille Display for $2,195.00 USD - Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
1) Let's begin with a series on the new Mac operating system, Yosemite. Read about "17 Things You Can Do in OS X Yosemite That You Couldn't Do in Mavericks"
2) BlindPodcaster tells us about "OS X Yosemite for the Low Vision User"
3) iMore brings us "OS X Yosemite in 6 minutes: Everything You Need to Know"
4) From MacWorld comes "OK, Mac: Using Automator's Dictation Commands, New in Yosemite":
5) Finally on this topic, we learn from 9to5Mac "Yosemite & iOS 8 How-to: Set up and use Handoff":
6) It's back to iMore to learn "How to use Camera for iPhone and iPad: The Ultimate Guide":
7) Here is a compendium of "6 iPhone Apps That Use TouchID to Make Your Life Easier":
8) You can take part in a 30-minute webinar about Bookshare's new site:
9) Learn about the new features in NVDA for use in Microsoft Office, and get a preview of using NVDA with Windows 10, on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday, 28 October at 00:00:
10) Here is an in-depth article about the Disk Cleanup utility found in Windows 7 and 8:
11) Learn about iCloud Drive for Windows from PcWorld:
12) Not sure this will help much with accessibility in the desired transition, but we see that "Google publishes guide to help iPhone users switch to Android":
And below we include a few of the week's podcasts before we hit the deadline:
13A) Since we were touting Android, here's "That Android Show, Podcast 33":
13B) And there's SeroTalk podcast 215:
From AppleVis come:
13C) New in OS X Yosemite: Easily Navigate Web Content with the Arrow Keys:
13D) New In OS X Yosemite: Making And Receiving Phone Calls On Your Mac
13E) Perform OCR Directly From Your Photos Or Camera App Using Prizmo On iOS 8
13F) And Quick Tip: Setting Up Your iPhone For Use With Apple Pay:
13G) And this Eyes on Success podcast is the companion show of the last one: #1443, Partner of One Losing Vision Early in the Relationship:
SUBSCRIBE: Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: http://bit.ly/1irUr9E. You can also subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by (SMS) texting "FLYINGBLIND" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your name and email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.
FACEBOOK: Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed: http://www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc.
YOUTUBE: If audio / video is more your style, then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
RSS FEED: If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using: https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits.
ONLINE STORE: Shopping for accessible technology? Check out the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/store.html. All products offered in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Larry L. Lewis, Jr. either personally uses, or publicly endorses. Flying Blind, LLC is proud to offer free shipping & handling on all orders over $100.00 USD within the 48 continental United States.
QUESTIONS: Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVE: Visit the 2014 Tidbits Archive at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/tidbits2014.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT: Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at: email@example.com.***************************************