Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, November 6, 2014 - Volume 482
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: One Refurbished Brailliant BI 40 Cell Refreshable Braille Display for $1,995.00 USD !!!
We're back with another refurbished, top-of-the-line, wireless Braille display at a tremendous savings! This gently used new generation of Brailliant Refreshable Braille displays gives you desktop USB/Bluetooth access in a form factor conducive to use with your favorite portable tablet and/or smartphone. Ergonomic thumbkeys together with Braille input keys make entering Braille text and navigating through the most complex Apps a snap for Windows, iOS, and Android users. The Brailliant BI line of displays are Flying Blind, LLC's preferred and most-used desktop Braille displays in a variety of educational, vocational, and communal settings. This unit ships with approximately nine months remaining on its manufacturer's warranty, is in fantastic condition, and is listed here at over 33% off of its suggested retail price, giving you an approximate $1,000.00 USD savings! We'll even throw in an additional Executive Products carrying case, valued at $90.00 USD, to anyone wishing to add a splash of style and class to their Brailliant!!! Price includes shipping within the 48 Continental United States. This unit will be sold on a first come, first serve basis. To be the first to secure this unit please use the Buy Now link included below. For more information, or to order this product offline, email email@example.com or call +1 (216) 381-8107 today.Buy Now - One Refurbished Brailliant BI 40 Cell Refreshable Braille Display for $1,995.00 USD - Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
1A) The vi-cs mailing list is for blind computer science students. To join, send a blank message to:
1B) Or visit this page:
2) While we're on the topic of mailing lists, the SightExchange2 List on YahooGroups is where you can give away and receive blindness-related items. To join, send a blank message to:
3) With the new iPhones comes the ability to use Apple Pay to check out at stores and restaurants, but not all retailers are excited about this prospect:
4) This page gives a wealth of information about Accessible media player resources and demos:
5) Here is an Inclusive Android post about switching from iOS to Android, and unlike other posts on the topic, this one includes accessibility information:
Upcoming installments in the Hadley Seminars Series include the following two entries. Pre-registration is required, but archives are always available afterward:
6A) "The Value of Braille in the Educational Toolbox," on Wednesday, 12 November at 16:00 GMT:
6B) And "What's New in iOS 8," on Wednesday, 19 November at 17:00 GMT:
7) The next HIMS webinar will be entitled "Easy to Learn and Use Technology for Seniors and Tech Novices", and will take place on Tuesday, 12 November at 20:00 GMT. Register here to take part live or receive a link to the recording:
8) This is a short introduction to the VoiceOver screen reader for Mac OS X, particularly geared toward sighted developers or instructors who never had any exposure to assistive technology software for users who are blind:
9) Hear about how Vision Australia created their DAISY online 3G player:
10) Hear about "Suggested Accessibility Changes on Samsung Galaxy S5" on this BGZ podcast:
11) "Fitness, Massage and the Blind Cafe" is the topic for this week's Eyes on Success podcast:
12) SeroTalk Podcast 218 gives its usual, unique take on the week in technology:
13) Blogger Joe Orozco is not entirely pleased with the feature set of the JAWS Version 16 release:
SUBSCRIBE: Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by (SMS) texting "TOPTECHTIDBITS" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your name and email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.
FACEBOOK: Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday as part of your Facebook News Feed: http://www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc.
YOUTUBE: If audio / video is more your style, then you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
RSS FEED: If you prefer an RSS Feed, you can access Flying Blind, LLC Publications as they become available using: https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits.
ONLINE STORE: Shopping for accessible technology? Check out the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/store.html. All products offered in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Larry L. Lewis, Jr. either personally uses, or publicly endorses. Flying Blind, LLC is proud to offer free shipping & handling on all orders over $100.00 USD within the 48 continental United States.
QUESTIONS: Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVE: Visit the 2014 Tidbits Archive at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/tidbits2014.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT: Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at: firstname.lastname@example.org.***************************************