Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, August 30, 2018 - Volume 673
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Introducing Your One-Stop Shop for All of Your Accessibility Consulting and Training Needs!
Struggling to manage the adverse risk posed to your organization by the deployment of inaccessible content?
Seeking guidance on building accessibility best practices into your development cycle?
We offer a comprehensive range of services to address your accessibility needs - from accessibility testing of your websites, web applications and mobile apps to identify accessibility issues and assist in their repair, to conducting research and usability testing to share insights into how people with disabilities experience your products, to providing strategic guidance or accessibility training to help you build accessibility capacity within your organization.
When it comes to accessibility, we have the expertise to help you succeed on countless fronts!
Service Offerings We Provide:
- Comprehensive Audit: The best way to gain a thorough understanding of the accessibility level of your website, web application or native app.
- UX Services: Offers an opportunity to discover how people with disabilities and people who use assistive technologies engage with your brand.
- Training: Our onsite or virtual Training options are an effective way to embed accessibility knowledge within your team.
- Help Desk: Our Help Desk Services provides ongoing accessibility support for your team via a ticket-based system that makes it easy for stakeholders to ask questions and get responses back with quick turnaround.
- Strategy & Program Development: Our Strategy & Program Development services offer the expertise to perform strategic consulting on accessibility processes or to help you develop your Accessibility Program so that accessibility is being addressed across systems, processes, and people within your organization.
For more information, or to ask questions not answered here, please email firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ or call +1 (216) 381-8107 ☎ today. We're standing by to assist!
1) A brief edition of In-Process from NVAccess tells us about the Beta version of NVDA 2018.3, and their new CEO:
2) Aimed at librarians in countries that have joined the Marrakesh Treaty, and where national implementation is completed or advanced, "Getting Started. Implementing the Marrakesh Treaty for Persons with Print Disabilities. A Practical Guide for Librarians", is available in four languages:
3) The EnVision team invites everybody to a Facebook Live event where you can learn about their Scan & Find feature, and ask questions. This takes place on GMT Sunday, 2 September 2018 at 17:00:
4) The National Federation of the Blind is adding a number of guides and articles to its Accessibility Switchboard site:
5) You may get a useful tip or two from "13 Brilliant Ways to Fix Your iPhone or Mac with Common Household Items:"
6A) A couple of resources related to youth: "A Transition Guide to Postsecondary Education and Employment for Students and Youth with Disabilities:"
6B) And the Office of Disability Employment Policy from the United States Department of Labor:
7) If you'd like to tell your story about how a Google product or accessibility feature has helped you in your daily life and possibly be featured in a video, sign up here, and a Google representative may be in touch with you:
8) Learn from this Freedom Scientific tech support notice about "Answering Calls with Skype 8:"
9) Freedom Scientific will be launching a regular talk show. The first episode will be held via Zoom on GMT Friday, 31 August 2018 at 00:00:
10) You can hear more about these last two items, and other features, on FSCast #156 [MP3]:
11) A chance to improve your Google search strategy: "14 Hacks to Improve Your Google Searches," courtesy of Mental Floss:
12) We hear from HumanWare about the Brailliant 40 on the Mystic Access podcast:
13) NASA has just released 19,000 hours of audio from the Apollo 11 mission, available to the public on the Internet Archive:
14) Presumably in the next month or so, iOS 12 will be released. Mosen Consulting isn't taking orders yet, but you can read the "iOS 12 Without the Eye" book which will become available when the new version is released:
15) The Blind Side podcast launches its second hundred episodes, with the first of two focusing on home automation [MP3]:
16) Version 3.1 of the iOS edition of KNfBReader brings better file management, more effective handling of PDF documents and other fixes:
17) As the Assessible World events will begin in September 2018 to be conducted using the Zoom platform, this Dropbox file explains how attendees in those programs can use the system:
18) And finally, Eyes on Success #1835 concludes its two-part series on audio description by looking at audio description in the theater:
Flying Blind, LLC Highlights:
1.) JAWS Inspect - Your Visual Resource for Accessibility Testing - Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
If you are employed by, or lead an Organization committed to providing manual, accessibility test services for web content using the JAWS screenreader, but your testing and developer teams have individuals who are not JAWS users, then the newly released JAWS Inspect Solution is your missing ingredient for optimizing your test processes while maximizing your accessibility efforts ...
2.) Introducing TPG Tutor - Your eLearning, One Stop Shop for Accessibility Training - Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
Have you been directed to make a website or mobile app 'accessible', but have no idea where to begin? Or perhaps you know a bit about accessibility and really want to immerse yourself in the field, but you can't afford to have you or your ...
3.) Introducing ARC, Your Agile and Affordable Path to Accessibility - Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
Whether you are a novice to accessibility or a seasoned pro, sometimes your best start to accessibility is to let technology do some of the heavy lifting. Designers, developers and testers dealing with an accessibility project or program are looking ...
4.) Welcome to OWAC! Operating Within A Cloud! 'OWAC: Where The Sky's The Limit!' - Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
OWAC Onsite = $1,000.00 USD + Pre-approved travel expenses. | OWAC Remote = $500.00 USD
The OWAC Professional Development Workshop marries decades of assistive technology know-how with the fast-paced expectations of a predominantly sighted world. Are you serving students ...
5.) 'iOS in the Classroom: A Guide for Teaching Students with Visual Impairments, iOS 9 Edition' Authored By Larry L. Lewis, Jr., President, Flying Blind LLC, and Published by AFB Press - AFB Online Store
Paperback: $29.95 | Online: $17.95 | ePUB: $20.95 | Kindle: $20.95
This book represents a 'must have' for any direct service provider working with vision impaired consumers who are using iOS technology within their educational or pre-vocational settings ...
6.) Silver Indoor Outdoor Talking Thermometer for $16.95 USD - Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
Indoor and outdoor temperature spoken at the touch of a button, Fahrenheit or Celsius, volume control and on/off switch. LCD visual display can show either indoor or outdoor temperature ...
7.) Large Print Address Book for $16.00 USD - Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
Spiral bound book. Holds up to 500 address listings. Three address listings per page. Includes 20/20 pen. Durable covers with inside front and back pockets. Alphabetical tabs and ample room ...
8.) Large Print Check Register for $8.75 USD - Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
Spiral bound register helps keep better control of check recording. Contains spaces for 14 entries per full page. Size: 5" x 9" ...
Flying Blind, LLC Subscription Information:
Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by (SMS) texting "TOPTECHTIDBITS" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your name and email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.
Visit Flying Blind, LLC online at http://www.flying-blind.com.
Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications as part of your Facebook News Feed: http://www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc.
If audio / video is more your style, you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
Shopping for accessible technology? Check out the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/store.html. All products offered in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Larry L. Lewis, Jr. either personally uses, or publicly endorses. Flying Blind, LLC is proud to offer free Shipping & Handling on all orders over $100.00 USD within the 48 continental United States.
Tidbits are intentionally concise. As a result we know that some readers may not always understand all of the items listed because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Archive at: http://bit.ly/tidbitsarchive where you can grab back issues.
Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at: email@example.com.