Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, September 6, 2018 - Volume 674
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Flying Blind, LLC Publication
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Introducing Your One-Stop Shop for All of Your Accessibility Consulting and Training Needs!
Struggling to manage the adverse risk posed to your organization by the deployment of inaccessible content?
Seeking guidance on building accessibility best practices into your development cycle?
We offer a comprehensive range of services to address your accessibility needs - from accessibility testing of your websites, web applications and mobile apps to identify accessibility issues and assist in their repair, to conducting research and usability testing to share insights into how people with disabilities experience your products, to providing strategic guidance or accessibility training to help you build accessibility capacity within your organization.
When it comes to accessibility, we have the expertise to help you succeed on countless fronts!
Service Offerings We Provide:
- Comprehensive Audit: The best way to gain a thorough understanding of the accessibility level of your website, web application or native app.
- UX Services: Offers an opportunity to discover how people with disabilities and people who use assistive technologies engage with your brand.
- Training: Our onsite or virtual Training options are an effective way to embed accessibility knowledge within your team.
- Help Desk: Our Help Desk Services provides ongoing accessibility support for your team via a ticket-based system that makes it easy for stakeholders to ask questions and get responses back with quick turnaround.
- Strategy & Program Development: Our Strategy & Program Development services offer the expertise to perform strategic consulting on accessibility processes or to help you develop your Accessibility Program so that accessibility is being addressed across systems, processes, and people within your organization.
For more information, or to ask questions not answered here, please email firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ or call +1 (216) 381-8107 ☎ today. We're standing by to assist!
1) Here is an updated version of a document entitled "How Does a Blind Person Use a Computer or Smartphone, Anyway?"
2) We have an audio file describing a new free OCR program for the Mac, VOCR [MP3]:
3) WebAIM conducted its first survey of users with low vision in 2013. The second survey is available for completion by 30 September 2018. By completing this survey you will help inform development choices for those creating accessible web content and web standards:
4) The AppleVis team is punctual as usual with "What's New and Noteworthy for August 2018:"
5) Freedom Scientific held its first talk show, and here is the recording on FSCast [MP3]:
6A) Until now, Skype users had to use third-party programs if they wanted to record Skype conversations. Now, with Skype 8, we can do this from within Skype:
6B) Brian Hartgen is building support for Skype version 8 into the Leasey app. Here is an audio file demonstrating what will soon be available [MP3]:
7A) Since Tek Talk is switching to the Zoom platform for its events, they offer a two-hour training on its use on GMT Tuesday, 11 September 2018 at 00:00. As always, recordings are available shortly after, and as always, if you need help translating GMT into your time zone, just ask us:
7B) Brian Hartgen has updated his free JAWS scripts for the Zoom platform:
8) By using its screenshot reader feature, the makers of Equatio for Google say you can turn any equation across the web into accessible, editable math:
9A) Mystic Access offers six modules, around six hours of training on iOS for $75 as a digital download:
9B) And they're offering six more modules via live weekly trainings for $15 each:
10) For $19.95, the San Francisco Lighthouse for the Blind offers a personalized tactile map of the surroundings of any address:
11) We published a link for the SmartVision2 which didn't work in Internet Explorer. This link should work in that browser:
12) The WCAG (Web Content Accessibility Guidelines) 2.1 is replacing WCAG 2.0. What does this mean?
13) This post discusses the importance of text accessibility, and the IBM Content Clarifier:
14) David Woodbridge demonstrates the Repeat Timer app for iPhone and Apple Watch, useful for radio production and doubtless other life activities [MP3]:
15) Blind Bargains Qast #155 appeared around the US on Labor Day, so here it is:
16) Nancy and Peter worked as research physicists before retirement, and they discuss many aspects of their careers in Eyes On Success Episode #1836:
Flying Blind, LLC Highlights:
1.) JAWS Inspect - Your Visual Resource for Accessibility Testing - Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
If you are employed by, or lead an Organization committed to providing manual, accessibility test services for web content using the JAWS screenreader, but your testing and developer teams have individuals who are not JAWS users, then the newly released JAWS Inspect Solution is your missing ingredient for optimizing your test processes while maximizing your accessibility efforts ...
2.) Introducing TPG Tutor - Your eLearning, One Stop Shop for Accessibility Training - Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
Have you been directed to make a website or mobile app 'accessible', but have no idea where to begin? Or perhaps you know a bit about accessibility and really want to immerse yourself in the field, but you can't afford to have you or your ...
3.) Introducing ARC, Your Agile and Affordable Path to Accessibility - Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
Whether you are a novice to accessibility or a seasoned pro, sometimes your best start to accessibility is to let technology do some of the heavy lifting. Designers, developers and testers dealing with an accessibility project or program are looking ...
4.) Welcome to OWAC! Operating Within A Cloud! 'OWAC: Where The Sky's The Limit!' - Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
OWAC Onsite = $1,000.00 USD + Pre-approved travel expenses. | OWAC Remote = $500.00 USD
The OWAC Professional Development Workshop marries decades of assistive technology know-how with the fast-paced expectations of a predominantly sighted world. Are you serving students ...
5.) 'iOS in the Classroom: A Guide for Teaching Students with Visual Impairments, iOS 9 Edition' Authored By Larry L. Lewis, Jr., President, Flying Blind LLC, and Published by AFB Press - AFB Online Store
Paperback: $29.95 | Online: $17.95 | ePUB: $20.95 | Kindle: $20.95
This book represents a 'must have' for any direct service provider working with vision impaired consumers who are using iOS technology within their educational or pre-vocational settings ...
6.) Silver Indoor Outdoor Talking Thermometer for $16.95 USD - Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
Indoor and outdoor temperature spoken at the touch of a button, Fahrenheit or Celsius, volume control and on/off switch. LCD visual display can show either indoor or outdoor temperature ...
7.) Large Print Address Book for $16.00 USD - Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
Spiral bound book. Holds up to 500 address listings. Three address listings per page. Includes 20/20 pen. Durable covers with inside front and back pockets. Alphabetical tabs and ample room ...
8.) Large Print Check Register for $8.75 USD - Flying Blind, LLC Online Store
Spiral bound register helps keep better control of check recording. Contains spaces for 14 entries per full page. Size: 5" x 9" ...
Flying Blind, LLC Subscription Information:
Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive Flying Blind, LLC Publications? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: http://bit.ly/1irUr9E. You can also subscribe to Flying Blind, LLC Publications on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com or by (SMS) texting "FLYINGBLIND" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your name and email address, click send, and begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications. It's that easy.
Visit Flying Blind, LLC online at http://www.flying-blind.com.
Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Flying Blind, LLC to begin receiving Flying Blind, LLC Publications as part of your Facebook News Feed: http://www.facebook.com/flyingblindllc.
If audio / video is more your style, you can follow Flying Blind, LLC on YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/flyingblindllc.
Shopping for accessible technology? Check out the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/store.html. All products offered in the Flying Blind, LLC Online Store are products that Larry L. Lewis, Jr. either personally uses, or publicly endorses. Flying Blind, LLC is proud to offer free Shipping & Handling on all orders over $100.00 USD within the 48 continental United States.
Tidbits are intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Archive at: http://bit.ly/tidbitsarchive where you can grab back issues.
Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be directed to our editor, Dean Martineau, at: email@example.com.