Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, July 2, 2020 - Volume 762The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication
Top Tech Tidbits. The world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology.
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Happy 4th of July America!
How can you become part of a very special and unique global trend? Join Donna Jodhan! As her initiatives continue to help thousands of kids with disabilities around the world to realize their dreams! Each year, 90% of revenues from all Author Donna Jodhan sales and subscriptions go toward sending children with disabilities to mainstream and special camps. See how Donna Jodhan does it! Consider supporting one of her many initiatives today by purchasing from her audio mystery library, which is filled with drama, suspense, and intrigue! Or consider a simple annual donation at one of three levels and gain unlimited access to her entire audio mystery library, as well as a constantly updated Recipe Library and Home and Garden Library as well. Donna's many initiatives include The CCB Mysteries Chapter, Mystery Evening Events (skits and plays written and produced by Donna Jodhan), ongoing Subscription Libraries and Tele-Town Halls and Roundtables, just to name a few. Stay in touch to learn about the community's fears and concerns about COVID-19. Give Donna a call at (416) 491-7711 ☎ or contact her at email@example.com ✉ or firstname.lastname@example.org ✉. Visit to learn more or become an active supporter today.
1) A Not So Quick Technical Note About Zoom Meeting Links And A Free Course from LinkedIn LearningMany of you reached out to us regarding Zoom meeting links last week. If you were one of these people, or if you've experienced problems with Zoom meeting links in the past, we've put together the following information in an attempt to shed some light on these issues. Our current research indicates that Zoom Meeting links, specifically, will behave differently depending upon the configuration of the device upon which their links are clicked. If the device in question has the Zoom Meeting app installed, running and properly configured at the time of click, then the device will attempt to open the link within the Zoom Meeting app itself, which should recognize the Meeting ID within the link that you have clicked and present you with an in-app dialog box letting you know that the meeting hasn't started yet. (Or allowing you to join the meeting if it already has started.) If for any reason the app is not detected on the device in question upon click, then the link is instead opened as a Page Not Found (404) error in the default web browser for the device because the app itself was not detected and the device was therefore unable to identify the meeting ID at the time you clicked the link. Industry experience also leads us to believe that some of this functional complexity may be deliberate on the part of Zoom in order to bolster security outside of the app. As we await better default behavior from Zoom for native links (such as automatically generating a default landing page for each meeting) you can circumvent this behavior currently, on any device, by opening up the Zoom Meeting App directly (or visiting https://zoom.us/join), pasting in the Zoom Meeting ID number, and then clicking the "Join" button. The Meeting ID number should always be the series of numbers immediately following the letter "j" within the Zoom Meeting link that you've been provided. If you still have questions, this currently free one hour and twenty one minute course from LinkedIn Learning, which provides professional grade audio and video, as well as complete transcripts for each course, may provide answers:
2) Adaptive Technology Internet Radio StationDouble Tap Radio is on the air! Adaptive technology content from across the globe and mainstream technology events are covered as well:
3) AppleVis Unlimited: What's New and Noteworthy for June 2020This issue comes out very near the beginning of the month, so this month's AppleVis Unlimited just appeared:
4) Android 11 Beta 1.5 and the Rrevival of Oxygen on Anatad Podcast #40The new version promises some significant accessibility improvements:
5) Collection of SIRI ShortcutsThere are shortcuts here in many categories:
6) TalkBack on Peloton BikeThis high-end exercise bike is now much more accessible!
7) Request Files From Anyone Via DropboxThis is a handy post from Web Friendly Help, taking directions from Dropbox help and adapting them for screen reader users:
8) Upcoming Freedom Scientific WebinarsFour useful webinars are listed on the Upcoming Webinars page:
9) AppleVis Extra 75: Sarah Herrlinger and Dean Hudson from Apple AccessibilityThis is an in-depth interview with two Apple Accessibility staff members. Here is the audio:
And here is the transcript:
10) Aira Now Available in the UKThe popular Aira service now accepts explorers from the UK:
11) 1,000 Phrases That Incorrectly Trigger Alexa, Siri, and Google AssistantA little weekend fun, courtesy of Ars Technica:
12) JAWS Scripts and NVDA Add-Ons for SkypeDoug Lee has enhanced his scripts and add-ons for Skype, since they made some modifications and unified the versions:
13) In-Process 25 June 2020With support for a new braille display, support for 1Password and improved performance with Windows OneCore voices, NVAccess wants lots of testers for the forthcoming version 2020.2:
14) Picture This: Semi-Monthly Podcast About Audio Description and Accessible EntertainmentKeep up with developments in audio description and learn about it all at:
15) Blind Bargains Qast 211:Find lots of WWDC news here with many links to investigate:
16) Two WWDC-Focused Podcasts Featuring Shelly BrisbinOne is Maccessibility Round Table #197:
And the other is Parallel:
17) Tidbits Poll Results: Has your use of Assistive Technology increased or decreased during the COVID-19 Pandemic?Last week we asked Tidbits subscribers, "Which of the following statements would you say represents your use of Assistive Technology since the COVID-19 Pandemic began?" Options were: (A) My use of Assistive Technology has increased since the COVID-19 Pandemic began. (B) My use of Assistive Technology has decreased since the COVID-19 Pandemic began. (C) My use of Assistive Technology has remained the same since the COVID-19 Pandemic began. So far 36 readers have weighed in with 22 votes (61.1%) for (A), an increase, 0 votes (0%) for (B), a decrease, and 14 votes (38.9%) for (C) remaining the same. You can still weigh in, or review the breakdown here:
18) New Tidbits Poll: Do you use more than one screen reader?Share your opinion with us on this, and future AT-related polls, on the Top Tech Tidbits website where you can weigh in and view results:
19) Future Tidbits Polls: Do you have an intriguing AT-related question that you'd like to see posed to the Tidbits community?While we cannot guarantee that all submissions will be utilized, we promise to choose the very best of them to be included in future issues. Available Poll Types are: Multiple Choice, Checkboxes, Drop-Down List, Scale of 1 to 5, and Ranking in Order of Preference. You may send your AT-related questions to:
Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor Classified Ads:
Sponsor: Donna JodhanAuthor, Donna Jodhan Publications
➜ This Week's Classified Ad: Donna Jodhan! Much more than just an audio mysteries author! Now you can enjoy easy listening! For the family! Audio mysteries to enrich your days with excitement, intrigue, and suspense! Join author Donna Jodhan!
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
Website: https://www.donnajodhan.com/ 🌐
About: My name is Donna J. Jodhan and I have been blind all my life, but that has not prevented me from living independently as someone who takes care of my own home and garden, travels regularly for my job, and runs my own business. I am an entrepreneur, blogger, author, audio mystery writer, advocate, podcaster, and law student. I enjoy cooking, ice skating, playing chess, composing on my electronic keyboard, and communicating with nature.
Sponsor: Barry ScheurDirector, http://www.GuideLightsAndGadgets.us
➜ This Week's Classified Ad: GuideLights And Gadgets invites you to: Listen, Learn, and Buy from our selection of leather, electronics, and doggy products. Our Orbit Writer Braille Keyboard Bundle Sale Starts Now; Get the Braille keyboard, the sheath, our hands free leather neck pouch, and free shipping All For $120. Read about our 2020 Inventory Reduction Act with 18 convention specials at: http://www.GuideLightsAndGadgets.us. Listen on ACB Radio for our 5 different exhibit presentations. For more info: Call Barry: (617) 969-7500 ☎, or Kae: (781) 286-1696 ☎. Let Us Help Find Just The Right Products For You!
Sponsor Since: June 25th 2020
Website: http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/ 🌐
About: Our Scope of Products: We specialize in 3 lines of products, all intended to assist in access to adaptive electronics, enhance experiences for guide dog teams, and offer practical solutions for organization and travel with a variety of leather bags, pouches, and backpacks. Then there are the random products that are included, just for fun! We enjoy working with our customers 1-on-1 to their money is well spent and not wasted on something they may not use. In thinking about our customers and whether we will carry a product our guiding motto is that it must be: practical, affordable, simple, tested, and accessible (the pasta principle) and it seems to work very well.
What We Do: We bring our business either via zoom, phone, or to your conference or convention, to give each customer a chance for questions and where possible, "hands on" evaluation of the merchandise. Kae and I test and use each product as blind users before we put it in our catalog. In the case of products for guide and service dogs, our own three guides, Thor, Debra and Melody, are engaged in the process of evaluating the usefulness, durability, and/or fun of the product. We want each of our products to be useful, accessible, afforable, and, whenever possible, fun! Our inventory is constantly changing, so a visit to us is never the same experience twice!
Sponsor: John PanareseDirector, MacForTheBlind.com
➜ This Week's Classified Ad: John Panarese, world-renowned Apple Trainer has just completed a series of Tele-Mac courses for the blind that went worldwide! He even had to turn away some participants due to space limitations. Read more about John's courses and take advantage of his very affordable tutorials and recordings at:
Authorized Apple Business Affiliate
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
About: Macfortheblind.com is a place specifically for blind people who are either users or potential users of Macintosh computers or iOS devices, such as the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, iPod Nano, Apple Watch and Apple TV. I am a blind individual who has used the Mac ever since VoiceOver became available in OS 10.4 Tiger, and I own an iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Book Pro laptop computer, an iPhone 6S, an iPad Air, an Apple Watch and an Apple TV 4th Generation. In addition, I am an Authorized Apple Business Affiliate, and as an Apple Certified Support Professional and an Apple Certified Trainer, I offer training and technical support for individuals, agencies and organizations on the mac and all iDevices, as well as offering assistive technology consulting.
Sponsor: A. T. Guys
➜ This Week's Classified Ad: Now accepting preorders! A T Guys is pleased to be taking orders for the Orbit Writer, the new, compact $99 Bluetooth Braille keyboard that works with your smartphone or computer via Bluetooth and USB. Also available for preorder is the upgraded Orbit Reader 20 Plus and the just-announced Orbit Reader 40 Braille displays, now with built-in translation, clock, calendar, and calculator. To learn more, visit the link below or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
Sponsor Since: June 11th 2020
About: ATGuys.com. Your access technology experts, home for cool gadgets, accessories, and more. Our products are all tested to work great for blind and visually impaired users but also work just as well for anyone. If there's an item you're looking for, or if you have a question, please don't hesitate to send us a message or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
Sponsor: Dean MartineauEditor, Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter
➜ This Week's Classified Ad: A Message More Important Than Technology. At this time, when America's history of racial oppression can not be swept under the rug, I can do little better than to point you to the post made on the Blind Bargains site. One person who commented on that post suggested serious study of the book White Fragility by Robin DiAngelo. My wife Judi and I will soon begin conducting serious study groups of this book via Zoom. The book is available on Kindle, BARD and BookShare, and the study guide we'll be using is free online. There are sure to be lots of other books, and lots of other approaches to studying this one, but if you might be interested in being part of such a group, drop me a note at: email@example.com.
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
Website: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/ 🌐
About: Dean Martineau is the Founder and a Contributing Editor to the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter.
Sponsor: American Printing House (APH)
➜ This Week's Classified Ad: Introducing the Mantis Q40TM from APH: a feature-loaded refreshable braille display designed with you in mind. This revolutionary Bluetooth® keyboard and 40-cell refreshable braille display connects to multiple host devices, and includes a basic editor, book reader, calculator, clock, and file manager for standalone productivity. For more information, visit:
Sponsor Since: July 2nd 2020
Website: https://www.aph.org/ 🌐
About: Since 1858, the American Printing House for the Blind has operated in Louisville, Kentucky as the world's largest nonprofit organization, creating accessible learning experiences through educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are blind and visually impaired. APH believes that the future belongs to everyone. By offering innovative products and services, APH opens up a door of opportunities for lifelong independence and success.
About: Top Tech Tidbits. The world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology.
Top Tech Tidbits Supporters:
We couldn't do it without you! Thank for your support!
Tidbits Supporters (https://www.toptechtidbits.com/supporter-information.html) donate an amount of their choosing on an annual basis in order to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication.
If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/donate.html.
In tandem with Our Sponsors, these are the people that make the ongoing distribution of Tidbits possible:
1.) Gary Lee, Platinum Supporter since June 25, 2020.
1.) Howard Goldstein, Gold Supporter since June 4, 2020.
2.) David Goldstein, Gold Supporter since June 12, 2020.
1.) Your name here. Help support Tidbits today at:
1.) Your name here. Help support Tidbits today at:
Top Tech Tidbits Subscription Information:
RELEASE SCHEDULE:Top Tech Tidbits is released every Thursday morning at 4:00 AM ET.
SUBSCRIBE:Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter on the Top Tech Tidbits Website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com or by (SMS) texting "TOPTECHTIDBITS" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter. It's that easy.
DONATE:If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/donate.html.
WEBSITE:Visit the Top Tech Tidbits website online at https://www.toptechtidbits.com.
POLLS:Are you an experienced or proficient user of AT (Assistive Technology)? Do you represent a company or organization that serves and / or operates within the AT (Assistive Technology) space? If you are, or if you do, we would love to hear your opinions on any of our many AT-related Polls. Weigh in and view the results for any Top Tech Tidbits Poll on the Top Tech Tidbits website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/polls.html
FACEBOOK:Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Facebook News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/facebook.
TWITTER:Are you on Twitter? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Twitter News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/twitter.
RSS:Do you prefer RSS? Follow Top Tech Tidbits via RSS today to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology using your choice of news aggregator: https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits.
QUESTIONS:Tidbits are intentionally concise. As a result we know that some readers may not always understand all of the items listed because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVEVisit the Top Tech Tidbits Archive at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/archive.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT CONTRIBUTORS:Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be submitted online via our Top Tech Tidbit Submission Form at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/submit-tidbit or directed to our Editors at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information provided by: