Home: Top Tech Tidbtits News: Top Tech Tidbtits Sign Up: Top Tech Tidbits Donate: Top Tech Tidbtits Search: Top Tech Tidbtits Facebook: Top Tech Tidbits Twitter: Top Tech Tidbits LinkedIn: Top Tech Tidbits YouTube: Top Tech Tidbits RSS: Top Tech Tidbits Back to Top
Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, July 30, 2020 - Volume 766The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication
Top Tech Tidbits. The world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology.
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Your Ad Here. Quarterly Sponsorships Now Available. Only $325.00 USD.
Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday is a leading, not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over6,500 Adaptive Technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week. Over the last 12 months our 100% legally-compliant opt-in subscriber list has had an Average Open Rate of 37%, an Average Click-Through Rate of 42% and an Average Bounce Rate of 2.8%.
We now offer 12 Annual Sponsorship Packages which are used to support the ongoing distribution of the publication. There are currently 6 of these 12 packages still available. Secure one of these remaining packages today for only $325.00 USD for the next 3 months, or save $100.00 USD and join us for the year. All Sponsorship Packages are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Please help us to support the ongoing distribution of this publication. Consider showing your support for Adaptive Technology over the next 3-12 months while enjoying these incredible benefits:
Sponsorship Package Benefits:
➜ 1.) 4 "This Week's Featured Advertisement" Spots Over The Next 12 Months: (Just like this one.) Each Annual Sponsor may choose (from those dates still available within the Top Tech Tidbits Sponsorship Calendar) up to FOUR (4) "This Week's Featured Advertisement" dates within the calendar year of their sponsorship. That's 4 Issue dates reaching 6,500+ Adaptive Technology subscribers each.
➜ 2.) 48 Classified Ad Spots Over The Next 12 Months: Each Sponsor is also allocated ONE (1) Sponsor Classified Advertisement in every issue of Tidbits (each week) for the full year of their sponsorship. That's 48 Issues reaching 6,500+ Adaptive Technology subscribers each.And that's not all. If you'd like to learn more, please head on over to the Sponsorship Information section of the Top Tech Tidbits website at https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html. If you're ready to secure your Sponsorship today please contact Aaron Di Blasi of Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) Free Webinar Series on Accessible Publishing and ReadingThe DAISY Consortium along with leaders in the accessible publishing and reading ecosystem has been presenting on a diverse range of topics. 18 webinars are available with audio and captions. They'll take a break and restart the series, and the page contains a link to join their mailing list for announcements:
2) Hadley Institute New LookThe Hadley Institute continues to evolve, giving people the means to live with visual impairment. Their new site features hundreds of workshops and podcasts, many of which relate to technology, others on a variety of subjects:
3) Chrome 85 Will Export Tagged PDFs That Aid AccessibilityThis could be a big boon for us!
4) Envision Glass "Let the Glasses Speak to You! A Look Through the Envision Glasses and the Envision AI App:"This Blind Abilities podcast covers this energetic company and their Summer sale:
5) Miele WDD 131 Guideline Accessible Washing MachineThis rarity is the topic of EbuAccessCast 24:
6) The Mantis Q40 Is HereHere's a favorable blog post about this display, sold in the US by APH:
7) Don't panic! The iPhone SE is Still a Great ChoiceThe DoubleTap Online crew explains that the iPhone SE will get the important accessibility features coming in iOS 14:
8) The Simple Talking Smart Phone for Visually Impaired People"In Your Pocket" is a revolutionary device that lets you access RNIB Talking Books, podcasts, internet radio and more just by using your voice. Here is a podcast about it:
9) Firefox Accessibility / RoadmapHere Mozilla states the present and future of the accessibility of FireFox:
10) Alexa Accessibility HubAmazon recently launched the Alexa Accessibility Hub, a new website that serves as a central resource for customers to learn more about Alexa Accessibility features, how-tos, and customer stories:
11) OrCam Presentation from MarylandThis takes place on Saturday, 8 August 2020 at 14:00 GMT. To participate, call (319) 527-4994 ☎. Schedules of upcoming presentations and recordings of those from the past are here:
12) Course on ElBraille from Hartgen ConsultancyThis five-session, $62 course is called "It's El-ectrifying", starts on 5 August 2020, so be sure to register before then:
13) Two Free Webinars from the Paciello GroupPanel Discussion on Accessible Education, Thursday, 13 August 2020 at 16:00 GMT
Using Screen Readers and Testing Tools to Evaluate the Accessibility of a User Journey, Wednesday 19 August 2020 at 16:00:
14) Orbit Research on Tech TimeTech Time happens on the second Wednesday of the month at 20:00 GMT. It usually focuses on smartphone use, but on 12 August 2020 representatives from Orbit Research will discuss the Orbit Writer and Orbit Reader. Call in on (515) 604-9767 ☎ Access code: 457234. For information, email:
15) Tidbits Poll Results: As an AT-user in search of the most accessible experience, are you more likely to use a mobile app or a website for tasks such as online shopping or banking?Last week we asked Tidbits subscribers, "As an AT-user in search of the most accessible experience, are you more likely to use a mobile app or a website for tasks such as online shopping or banking?" It's been nearly a dead heat. So far 28 readers have weighed in with 10 votes for (A) Mobile app, 10 votes for (B) Website and 8 votes for (C) It depends. You can still weigh in, or review the breakdown here:
16) New Tidbits Poll: Do you have an intriguing AT-related question that you'd like to see posed to the Tidbits community?Send your AT-related questions to:
Answer past Poll questions you may have missed at:
Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor Classified Ads:
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:If you're seeking ways to enhance your Apple learning then look no further! John Panarese offers you very affordable Mac and iOS courses along with his personal tutelage! To learn more, visit:
Authorized Apple Business Affiliate
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
About: Macfortheblind.com is a place specifically for blind people who are either users or potential users of Macintosh computers or iOS devices, such as the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, iPod Nano, Apple Watch and Apple TV. I am a blind individual who has used the Mac ever since VoiceOver became available in OS 10.4 Tiger, and I own an iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Book Pro laptop computer, an iPhone 6S, an iPad Air, an Apple Watch and an Apple TV 4th Generation. In addition, I am an Authorized Apple Business Affiliate, and as an Apple Certified Support Professional and an Apple Certified Trainer, I offer training and technical support for individuals, agencies and organizations on the mac and all iDevices, as well as offering assistive technology consulting.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:Now accepting preorders! A T Guys is pleased to be taking orders for the Orbit Writer, the new, compact $99 Bluetooth Braille keyboard that works with your smartphone or computer via Bluetooth and USB. Also available for preorder is the upgraded Orbit Reader 20 Plus and the just-announced Orbit Reader 40 Braille displays, now with built-in translation, clock, calendar, and calculator. To learn more, visit the link below or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
Sponsor Since: June 11th 2020
About: ATGuys.com. Your access technology experts, home for cool gadgets, accessories, and more. Our products are all tested to work great for blind and visually impaired users but also work just as well for anyone. If there's an item you're looking for, or if you have a question, please don't hesitate to send us a message or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:Summer Special: Four training sessions for the price of five, $100: Windows, J-Say, iOS, many applications. Write to me and we can evaluate how well we can work together:
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
Website: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/ 🌐
About: Dean Martineau is the Founder and a Contributing Editor to the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:Introducing APH's NEW Chameleon 20TM: A sleek, 20-cell refreshable braille display with Perkins-style keyboard, designed especially for students. Chameleon connects to multiple devices via Bluetooth®, and includes an editor, book reader, calculator, clock, and file manager - enhancing student engagement and productivity in and out of the classroom. Learn more about Chameleon's full suite of features at: https://www.aph.org/product/chameleon-20/.
Sponsor Since: July 2nd 2020
Website: https://www.aph.org/ 🌐
About: Since 1858, the American Printing House for the Blind has operated in Louisville, Kentucky as the world's largest nonprofit organization, creating accessible learning experiences through educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are blind and visually impaired. APH believes that the future belongs to everyone. By offering innovative products and services, APH opens up a door of opportunities for lifelong independence and success.
Donna Jodhan Publications
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:Donna Jodhan! Author! Blogger! Dinner mysteries host! And there's more! She has a lot to share and a lot to say!
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
Website: https://www.donnajodhan.com/ 🌐
About: My name is Donna J. Jodhan and I have been blind all my life, but that has not prevented me from living independently as someone who takes care of my own home and garden, travels regularly for my job, and runs my own business. I am an entrepreneur, blogger, author, audio mystery writer, advocate, podcaster, and law student. I enjoy cooking, ice skating, playing chess, composing on my electronic keyboard, and communicating with nature.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:GuideLights And Gadgets: Great Buys, Great Choices! Orbit Writer Bundle: Writer, case, neck pouch, and tutorial by Lisa Salinger: $140, just a couple left. Leather Bags and Protective Travel Cases for your computers, iPads, notetakers and Braille displays! Protect your investment! Our Soundbox Amplifiers: Listening on the go; No Wires; Great Sound; 5 Models to choose from! We Love Our Customers, Answer Our Phone, And Give Great Advice: Not What To Buy, But What Will Work, And At The Best Price! Call Barry at (617) 969-7500 ☎. http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/.
Sponsor Since: June 25th 2020
Website: http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/ 🌐
About: Our Scope of Products: We specialize in 3 lines of products, all intended to assist in access to adaptive electronics, enhance experiences for guide dog teams, and offer practical solutions for organization and travel with a variety of leather bags, pouches, and backpacks. Then there are the random products that are included, just for fun! We enjoy working with our customers 1-on-1 to their money is well spent and not wasted on something they may not use. In thinking about our customers and whether we will carry a product our guiding motto is that it must be: practical, affordable, simple, tested, and accessible (the pasta principle) and it seems to work very well.
What We Do: We bring our business either via zoom, phone, or to your conference or convention, to give each customer a chance for questions and where possible, "hands on" evaluation of the merchandise. Kae and I test and use each product as blind users before we put it in our catalog. In the case of products for guide and service dogs, our own three guides, Thor, Debra and Melody, are engaged in the process of evaluating the usefulness, durability, and/or fun of the product. We want each of our products to be useful, accessible, afforable, and, whenever possible, fun! Our inventory is constantly changing, so a visit to us is never the same experience twice!
About: Top Tech Tidbits. The world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology.
Top Tech Tidbits Supporters:
We couldn't do it without you! Thank for your support!
Tidbits Supporters (https://www.toptechtidbits.com/supporter-information.html) donate an amount of their choosing on an annual basis in order to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication.
If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/donate.html.
In tandem with Our Sponsors, these are the people that make the ongoing distribution of Tidbits possible:
1.) Gary Lee, Platinum Supporter since June 25, 2020.
2.) Anonymous Donation, Platinum Supporter since July 9, 2020.
1.) Howard Goldstein, Gold Supporter since June 4, 2020.
2.) David Goldstein, Gold Supporter since June 12, 2020.
1.) Your name here. Help support Tidbits today at:
1.) Steven Wettlaufer, Bronze Supporter since July 16, 2020.
Top Tech Tidbits Subscription Information:
RELEASE SCHEDULE:The Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter is sent out every Thursday morning at 4:00 AM EST.
SUBSCRIBE:Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter on the Top Tech Tidbits Website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com or by (SMS) texting "TOPTECHTIDBITS" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter. It's that easy.
DONATE:If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/donate.html.
WEBSITE:Visit the Top Tech Tidbits website online at https://www.toptechtidbits.com.
POLLS:Answering Questions: Are you an experienced or proficient user of AT (Assistive Technology)? Do you represent a company or organization that serves and / or operates within the AT (Assistive Technology) space? If you are, or if you do, we would love to hear your opinions on any of our many AT-related Polls. Weigh in and view the results for any Top Tech Tidbits Poll on the Top Tech Tidbits website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/polls.html.
Asking Questions: Do you have an intriguing AT-related question that you'd like to see posed to the Tidbits community? While we cannot guarantee that all submissions will be utilized, we promise to choose the very best of them to be included in future issues. Available Poll Types are: Multiple Choice, Checkboxes, Drop-Down List, Scale of 1 to 5, and Ranking in Order of Preference. You may send your AT-related questions to: email@example.com.
FACEBOOK:Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Facebook News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/facebook.
TWITTER:Are you on Twitter? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Twitter News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/twitter.
RSS:Do you prefer RSS? Follow Top Tech Tidbits via RSS today to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology using your choice of news aggregator: https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits.
QUESTIONS:Tidbits are intentionally concise. As a result we know that some readers may not always understand all of the items listed because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVEVisit the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter Archive at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/archive.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT CONTRIBUTORS:Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be directed to our Editors at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information provided by: