Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, August 13, 2020 - Volume 768The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication
The Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter is your #1 online resource for current news and trends in Adaptive Technology.
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Your Ad Here. Quarterly Sponsorships Now Available. Only $325.00 USD.
The Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter is a leading, not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 6,500 Adaptive Technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week. Over the last 12 months our 100% legally-compliant opt-in subscriber list has had an Average Open Rate of 37%, an Average Click-Through Rate of 42% and an Average Bounce Rate of 2.8%.
We now offer 12 Annual Sponsorship Packages which are used to support the ongoing distribution of the publication. There are currently 6 of these 12 packages still available. Secure one of these remaining packages today for only $325.00 USD for the next 3 months, or save $100.00 USD and join us for the year. All Sponsorship Packages are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Please help us to support the ongoing distribution of this publication. Consider showing your support for Adaptive Technology over the next 3-12 months while enjoying these incredible benefits:
Sponsorship Package Benefits:
➜ 1.) 4 "This Week's Featured Advertisement" Spots Over The Next 12 Months: (Just like this one.) Each Annual Sponsor may choose (from those dates still available within the Top Tech Tidbits Sponsorship Calendar) up to FOUR (4) "This Week's Featured Advertisement" dates within the calendar year of their sponsorship. That's 4 Issue dates reaching 6,500+ Adaptive Technology subscribers each.
➜ 2.) 48 Classified Ad Spots Over The Next 12 Months: Each Sponsor is also allocated ONE (1) Sponsor Classified Advertisement in every issue of Tidbits (each week) for the full year of their sponsorship. That's 48 Issues reaching 6,500+ Adaptive Technology subscribers each.And that's not all. If you'd like to learn more, please head on over to the Sponsorship Information section of the Top Tech Tidbits website at https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html. If you're ready to secure your Sponsorship today please contact Aaron Di Blasi of Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
1) Goodbye Vertiginous Logo. Top Tech Tidbits Redesigns Its Logo at the Request of Low Vision ReadersShortly after last week's issue was released we received an email from a reader. Her message was two part. The first was that she loved Tidbits, and after reading it for a couple of months began looking forward to it each Thursday. The second was that she also dreaded this very same practice, as she was now trending toward low vision and the mere sight of the Top Tech Tidbits logo made her dizzy. She went on to add that she avoided the Top Tech Tidbits website entirely because of the number of times the logo appeared across it. This was, therefore, not something that we felt could wait to be acted upon. And so, with the help of this very same reader (thank you) in tandem with feedback from other low vision subscribers we set to work redesigning the Top Tech Tidbits logo. What we have for you today atop the newsletter and across the website is the result of our combined efforts. If you are unable to review the new design visually, please be sure to check out both the short and long form of the alternative textual description that accompanies the new logo. The long form (LONGDESC) was written by the Tidbits team. The short form (ALT) was written by our star reader, and taken from recommendations provided by the POET Training Tool, which she recommends for anyone wishing to learn more about writing effective image descriptions. Learn more at:
2) Google Expands Lookout App for People Who are Blind or Vision-ImpairedThis app is now available on more Android phones and has more capabilities. People have been reporting overcoming some amazing accessibility hurdles with it:
3) Android vs iPhone, The Battle BeginsStill focusing on Android, the latest episode of the ANATAD podcast compares various apps across platforms:
4) Talk Description to Me, Describing Modern HappeningsThis podcast has provided thorough descriptions of the Beirut explosion, the Portland protests and other modern scenes, a great marriage of podcasting and audio description:
5) Jumping Into MarkdownThis Mac Power Users podcast talks about the popular writing tool and covers some of its more advanced capabilities:
6) Write With Your Voice: Use Microsoft Dictation on Your PCThis Web Friendly Help article discusses the basic Microsoft Dictation which is part of Windows 10:
7) Bookshare on Tek TalkHear about the present and future of this ever-growing service, including the future of reading with smart speakers, on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday, 18 August 2020 at 00:00:
8) Never, Ever Pay Full Price for These Tech Items, According to The CheapSkateThis CNET podcast suggests that some items are on sale very often:
9) Four Questions About Using Microsoft Teams with JAWSFreedom Scientific's blog brings us the answers:
10) Free Course Offerings By Date From the Tech JuggernautRegistration for this large number of free courses starts on 14 August 2020, but here you can view the schedule and range of offerings:
11) Orbit Writer: Bluetooth / USB Braille Keyboard, on The Tech DoctorThe Tech Doctor podcast tends to appear when there is a new product, so this episode covers the new Orbit Writer:
12) Mosen At Large #55Meanwhile this two-hour audience-participation podcast covers favorite GPS apps, podcasting techniques, and other topics:
13) Amazon and Accessibility for All on Eyes on SuccessEpisode #2033 features the range of Amazon products for the disabled:
14) NV Access In-Process 6th August 2020We get more information about the latest version of NVDA, a note on troubleshooting, and other news:
15) Accessible COVID-19 Statistics TrackerThis site continues to be updated with information hard to read in other places:
16) Tidbits Poll Results: Last week we asked Tidbits readers, "Voice Assistants. Which of the following Natural Language Processing (NLP) agents do you believe currently provides the best Conversational User Interface (CUI) experience?"So far we've received 10 votes, with 5 of them for Amazon Echo, 3 for Apple Siri, 1 for Google Home and 1 for Chatbots. Share your opinion with us on this, and future AT-related polls, on the Top Tech Tidbits Facebook Page where you can weigh in and view results:
17) New Tidbits Opinion Poll: What product would you recommend and/or what advice would you give to a blind user looking for the most accessible smart thermostat today?https://poll.app.do/smart-thermo-for-the-blind
18) Future Tidbits Polls: Do you have an intriguing AT-related question that you'd like to see posed to the Tidbits community?Send your AT-related questions to:
Answer past Poll questions you may have missed at:
Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor Classified Ads:
Donna Jodhan Publications
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:This week's featured audio mystery from Donna's online store! The cell phone call! See how the murderer used his cell phone to lur his victim to his death! The crime was committed under the eyes of everyone in a busy university cafeteria! To buy and learn much more Visit http://www.donnajodhan.com/store.html to discover lots more!
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
Website: http://www.donnajodhan.com/ 🌐
About: My name is Donna J. Jodhan and I have been blind all my life, but that has not prevented me from living independently as someone who takes care of my own home and garden, travels regularly for my job, and runs my own business. I am an entrepreneur, blogger, author, audio mystery writer, advocate, podcaster, and law student. I enjoy cooking, ice skating, playing chess, composing on my electronic keyboard, and communicating with nature.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:GuideLights And Gadgets: Great Buys, Great Choices! Orbit Writer Bundle: Writer, case, neck pouch, and tutorial by Lisa Salinger: $140, just a couple left. Leather Bags and Protective Travel Cases for your computers, iPads, notetakers and Braille displays! Protect your investment! Our Soundbox Amplifiers: Listening on the go; No Wires; Great Sound; 5 Models to choose from! We Love Our Customers, Answer Our Phone, And Give Great Advice: Not What To Buy, But What Will Work, And At The Best Price! Call Barry at (617) 969-7500 ☎. http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/.
Sponsor Since: June 25th 2020
Website: http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/ 🌐
About: Our Scope of Products: We specialize in 3 lines of products, all intended to assist in access to adaptive electronics, enhance experiences for guide dog teams, and offer practical solutions for organization and travel with a variety of leather bags, pouches, and backpacks. Then there are the random products that are included, just for fun! We enjoy working with our customers 1-on-1 to their money is well spent and not wasted on something they may not use. In thinking about our customers and whether we will carry a product our guiding motto is that it must be: practical, affordable, simple, tested, and accessible (the pasta principle) and it seems to work very well.
What We Do: We bring our business either via zoom, phone, or to your conference or convention, to give each customer a chance for questions and where possible, "hands on" evaluation of the merchandise. Kae and I test and use each product as blind users before we put it in our catalog. In the case of products for guide and service dogs, our own three guides, Thor, Debra and Melody, are engaged in the process of evaluating the usefulness, durability, and/or fun of the product. We want each of our products to be useful, accessible, afforable, and, whenever possible, fun! Our inventory is constantly changing, so a visit to us is never the same experience twice!
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:No more barriers for blind persons when it comes to learning how to use a Mac or IOS device! John Panarese world renowned Apple trainer and consultant! Read what he has to offer! You won't be disappointed! Visit:
Authorized Apple Business Affiliate
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
About: Macfortheblind.com is a place specifically for blind people who are either users or potential users of Macintosh computers or iOS devices, such as the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, iPod Nano, Apple Watch and Apple TV. I am a blind individual who has used the Mac ever since VoiceOver became available in OS 10.4 Tiger, and I own an iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Book Pro laptop computer, an iPhone 6S, an iPad Air, an Apple Watch and an Apple TV 4th Generation. In addition, I am an Authorized Apple Business Affiliate, and as an Apple Certified Support Professional and an Apple Certified Trainer, I offer training and technical support for individuals, agencies and organizations on the mac and all iDevices, as well as offering assistive technology consulting.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:Now accepting preorders! A T Guys is pleased to be taking orders for the Orbit Writer, the new, compact $99 Bluetooth Braille keyboard that works with your smartphone or computer via Bluetooth and USB. Also available for preorder is the upgraded Orbit Reader 20 Plus and the just-announced Orbit Reader 40 Braille displays, now with built-in translation, clock, calendar, and calculator. To learn more, visit the link below or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
Sponsor Since: June 11th 2020
About: ATGuys.com. Your access technology experts, home for cool gadgets, accessories, and more. Our products are all tested to work great for blind and visually impaired users but also work just as well for anyone. If there's an item you're looking for, or if you have a question, please don't hesitate to send us a message or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:Would you like to learn to control your computer with your voice, or to create documents using your voice rather than the keyboard? There are several tools to accomplish these objectives. I can provide training in their use. Write to me at email@example.com if interested.
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
Website: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/ 🌐
About: Dean Martineau is the Founder and Editor of the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:Blast Through Braille Barriers with PageBlasterTM and PixBlasterTM: Two New Embossers from APH! Easily emboss the documents you need for work or school with PageBlaster and PixBlaster. These embossers use APH's free braille transcription program, BrailleBlaster, to produce high-quality interpoint braille and tactile graphics. Learn more and order today at:
Sponsor Since: July 2nd 2020
Website: https://www.aph.org/ 🌐
About: Since 1858, the American Printing House for the Blind has operated in Louisville, Kentucky as the world's largest nonprofit organization, creating accessible learning experiences through educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are blind and visually impaired. APH believes that the future belongs to everyone. By offering innovative products and services, APH opens up a door of opportunities for lifelong independence and success.
About: The Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter is your #1 online resource for current news and trends in Adaptive Technology.
Top Tech Tidbits Supporters:
We couldn't do it without you! Thank for your support!
Tidbits Supporters (https://www.toptechtidbits.com/supporter-information.html) donate an amount of their choosing on an annual basis in order to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication.
If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/donate.html.
In tandem with Our Sponsors, these are the people that make the ongoing distribution of Tidbits possible:
1.) Gary Lee, Platinum Supporter since June 25, 2020.
2.) Anonymous Donation, Platinum Supporter since July 9, 2020.
1.) Howard Goldstein, Gold Supporter since June 4, 2020.
2.) David Goldstein, Gold Supporter since June 12, 2020.
1.) Your name here. Help support Tidbits today at:
1.) Steven Wettlaufer, Bronze Supporter since July 16, 2020.
Top Tech Tidbits Subscription Information:
RELEASE SCHEDULE:The Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter is sent out every Thursday morning at 4:00 AM EST.
SUBSCRIBE:Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter on the Top Tech Tidbits Website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com or by (SMS) texting "TOPTECHTIDBITS" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter. It's that easy.
DONATE:If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/donate.html.
WEBSITE:Visit the Top Tech Tidbits website online at https://www.toptechtidbits.com.
POLLS:Answering Questions: Are you an experienced or proficient user of AT (Assistive Technology)? Do you represent a company or organization that serves and / or operates within the AT (Assistive Technology) space? If you are, or if you do, we would love to hear your opinions on any of our many AT-related Polls. Weigh in and view the results for any Top Tech Tidbits Poll on the Top Tech Tidbits website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/polls.html.
Asking Questions: Do you have an intriguing AT-related question that you'd like to see posed to the Tidbits community? While we cannot guarantee that all submissions will be utilized, we promise to choose the very best of them to be included in future issues. Available Poll Types are: Multiple Choice, Checkboxes, Drop-Down List, Scale of 1 to 5, and Ranking in Order of Preference. You may send your AT-related questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
FACEBOOK:Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Facebook News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/facebook.
TWITTER:Are you on Twitter? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Twitter News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/twitter.
RSS:Do you prefer RSS? Follow Top Tech Tidbits via RSS today to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology using your choice of news aggregator: https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits.
QUESTIONS:Tidbits are intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVEVisit the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter Archive at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/archive.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT CONTRIBUTORS:Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be directed to our Editor, Dean Martineau, at: email@example.com.
Information provided by: