Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, August 27, 2020 - Volume 770The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication
The Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter is your #1 online resource for current news and trends in Adaptive Technology.
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Top Tech Tidbits Launches Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Advertisements. Reach Over 6,500 Adaptive Technology Professionals, Educators and Enthusiasts For Just $25
Are you interested in buying, selling or trading new, gently used or refurbished adaptive technology equipment, disability equipment and/or electronics?
In keeping with our continued commitment to better serve the readers of the Tidbits community, while at the same time seeking new ways to generate additional support for the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits Publication, we are pleased to announce the launch of Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Advertisements.
You asked. We listened. Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Advertisements may be purchased by anyone at a cost of only $25. You can secure one in just 10 steps using a single form which includes paying securely using any major bank or credit card. Use cases include: (A) Buy, sell or trade a new or used product. (B) Buy, sell or trade a service. (C) Advertise an available job or open position. The Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Advertisements section will follow the Sponsor Classified Advertisements section within the flow of the newsletter each week.
In addition, all Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Advertisements will also be listed within the new Buy, Sell or Trade section of the Top Tech Tidbits website, where your Classified Advertisement will remain until your product or service is sold, or until you request that your listing be closed. It is our sincerest hope that many of you that we have spoken to will find value in this new and cost-effective way to reach the Tidbits audience. So if you're interested in buying, selling or trading new, gently used or refurbished adaptive technology equipment, disability equipment and/or electronics, learn more today and secure your ad at:
1) How to Improve Your Audio in a Zoom MeetingTech Republic helps us answer this question important to many nowadays:
2) A Run-Through of the iPad Pro 11 Inch, Magic Keyboard with Trackpad, and VoiceOverDavid Woodbridge discusses this possible laptop replacement package:
3) Will I Melt My Brain? Facts About Listening to Audiobooks in Your SleepI have so wished for sleep learning, given the number of audio books I have slept through over the years. Here's that notion and many more discussed:
4) Laundry Lens Now Accessible for VoiceOver UsersThere are now so many ways to get laundry instructions independently, and here's a dedicated free one:
5) OCR Screen Reader App Making it Possible to Use Mac Apps That Were Previously InaccessibleThis Mac app available for English and Chinese gives keyboard access and text labels to graphic controls:
6) FS Open LineThe next global talk show from Freedom Scientific will take place on Thursday, 27 August 2020 at 19:00 GMT:
7) FSCast #187Dan Clark, veteran training director and others appear on this month's episode:
8) BBQ In Review:Here is a large collection of tech tips from the BBQ team to keep us going until the next Qast:
9) Talking Score Feature of Dancing Dots Now Works with NVDA and OthersSince 2002, the talking score feature of Dancing Dots interactive music notation editor has required the JAWS for Windows screen reader. Now it also works with NVDA and other screen readers. In this new video, a college music major shows us how:
10) Digital Accessibility on Eyes on SuccessLucy Greco talks about the present and future of accessibility in this episode #2035:
11) Accessible Gaming DiscussionA 90-minute Zoom discussion will take place on GMT Friday, 28 August 2020 at 01:00 from the New York Public Library:
12) Browsing Securely On Your TermsThis will be the next Mystic Access free event, on Sagurday, 29 August 2020 at 01:00 GMT:
13) ACBRadio on Tek TalkWe hear about the history and future of this Internet station on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday, 1 September 2020 at 00:00:
14) Tidbits Opinion Poll Results: Last week a reader asked, "I've always wondered if other blind cane users could recommend any device that I could use that would compliment my cane in which it could be alerted to any objects in front of me that the cane itself could not physically pick up. For example, something that could alert me to items such as tree branches or stuff from waist height and up."So far we've received 6 recommendations. Since these were actual recommendations you can read the actual responses themselves by clicking the "Results" button on the poll itself. The best recommendation so far appears to be the Sunu Band. The Sunu Band is a smartwatch designed to detect obstacles. It is intended to be used as a supplement to a cane or guide dog. The band vibrates to tell you the distance of objects or people in your surroundings, helping you navigate safely. For more information, please visit: https://lowvisionsource.com/product/sunu-band. Share your opinion with us on this, and future AT-related polls, on the Top Tech Tidbits website where you can weigh in and view results:
15) New Tidbits Opinion Poll: A Reader Asks, "I'd like to find out who is using what kind of robotic vacuum these days. I know Roomba gets a lot of press but there are a lot of other good ones too like the Roborock, Shark IQ, etc. Of course accessibility is important, but I would also like to know how good a job each does cleaning since many of us cannot verify this without sighted assistance."https://poll.app.do/best-robo-vac
16) Future Tidbits Polls: Do you have an intriguing AT-related question that you'd like to see posed to the Tidbits community?Send your AT-related questions to:
Answer past Poll questions you may have missed at:
Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor Classified Ads:
Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:Would you like to learn to control your computer with your voice, or to create documents using your voice rather than the keyboard? There are several tools to accomplish these objectives. I can provide training in their use. Write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
Website: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/ 🌐
About: Dean Martineau is the Founder and Editor of the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:Blast Through Braille Barriers with PageBlasterTM and PixBlasterTM: Two New Embossers from APH! Easily emboss the documents you need for work or school with PageBlaster and PixBlaster. These embossers use APH's free braille transcription program, BrailleBlaster, to produce high-quality interpoint braille and tactile graphics. Learn more and order today at:
Sponsor Since: July 2nd 2020
Website: https://www.aph.org/ 🌐
About: Since 1858, the American Printing House for the Blind has operated in Louisville, Kentucky as the world's largest nonprofit organization, creating accessible learning experiences through educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are blind and visually impaired. APH believes that the future belongs to everyone. By offering innovative products and services, APH opens up a door of opportunities for lifelong independence and success.
Donna Jodhan Publications
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:This week's call to action from author Donna Jodhan! Become a supporter of my initiatives to help kids with special needs to stay active during COVID-19! They must not be forgotten! Visit me at https://www.donnajodhan.com/donate.html and take advantage of some very exciting and affordable subscriptions!
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
Website: https://www.donnajodhan.com/ 🌐
About: My name is Donna J. Jodhan and I have been blind all my life, but that has not prevented me from living independently as someone who takes care of my own home and garden, travels regularly for my job, and runs my own business. I am an entrepreneur, blogger, author, audio mystery writer, advocate, podcaster, and law student. I enjoy cooking, ice skating, playing chess, composing on my electronic keyboard, and communicating with nature.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:GuideLights And Gadgets: Great Buys, Great Choices! Orbit Writer Bundle: Writer, case, neck pouch, and tutorial by Lisa Salinger: $140, just a couple left. Leather Bags and Protective Travel Cases for your computers, iPads, notetakers and Braille displays! Protect your investment! Our Soundbox Amplifiers: Listening on the go; No Wires; Great Sound; 5 Models to choose from! We Love Our Customers, Answer Our Phone, And Give Great Advice: Not What To Buy, But What Will Work, And At The Best Price! Call Barry at (617) 969-7500 ☎. http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/.
Sponsor Since: June 25th 2020
Website: http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/ 🌐
About: Our Scope of Products: We specialize in 3 lines of products, all intended to assist in access to adaptive electronics, enhance experiences for guide dog teams, and offer practical solutions for organization and travel with a variety of leather bags, pouches, and backpacks. Then there are the random products that are included, just for fun! We enjoy working with our customers 1-on-1 to their money is well spent and not wasted on something they may not use. In thinking about our customers and whether we will carry a product our guiding motto is that it must be: practical, affordable, simple, tested, and accessible (the pasta principle) and it seems to work very well.
What We Do: We bring our business either via zoom, phone, or to your conference or convention, to give each customer a chance for questions and where possible, "hands on" evaluation of the merchandise. Kae and I test and use each product as blind users before we put it in our catalog. In the case of products for guide and service dogs, our own three guides, Thor, Debra and Melody, are engaged in the process of evaluating the usefulness, durability, and/or fun of the product. We want each of our products to be useful, accessible, afforable, and, whenever possible, fun! Our inventory is constantly changing, so a visit to us is never the same experience twice!
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:No longer a dream! Now it is real!John Panarese uses his years of experience as an Apple trainer andconsultant to teach blind students around the world! Visit https://www.macfortheblind.com to learn more.
Authorized Apple Business Affiliate
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
About: Macfortheblind.com is a place specifically for blind people who are either users or potential users of Macintosh computers or iOS devices, such as the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, iPod Nano, Apple Watch and Apple TV. I am a blind individual who has used the Mac ever since VoiceOver became available in OS 10.4 Tiger, and I own an iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Book Pro laptop computer, an iPhone 6S, an iPad Air, an Apple Watch and an Apple TV 4th Generation. In addition, I am an Authorized Apple Business Affiliate, and as an Apple Certified Support Professional and an Apple Certified Trainer, I offer training and technical support for individuals, agencies and organizations on the mac and all iDevices, as well as offering assistive technology consulting.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:We want to help you sound better on your next Zoom meeting. Check out our affordable, V7, on-ear USB headset microphone for just $39.95. We also have Orbit Writer keyboards and Orbit Reader 20 braille displays in stock and ready to ship. Visit https://www.atguys.com/ for these and other great back-to-school products.
Sponsor Since: June 11th 2020
About: ATGuys.com. Your access technology experts, home for cool gadgets, accessories, and more. Our products are all tested to work great for blind and visually impaired users but also work just as well for anyone. If there's an item you're looking for, or if you have a question, please don't hesitate to send us a message or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
The Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter is a leading, not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 6,500 Adaptive Technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week. Over the last 12 months our 100% legally-compliant opt-in subscriber list has had an Average Open Rate of 37%, an Average Click-Through Rate of 42% and an Average Bounce Rate of 2.8%.
We now offer 12 Annual Sponsorship Packages which are used to support the ongoing distribution of the publication. There are currently 6 of these 12 packages still available. Secure one of these remaining packages today for only $325.00 USD for the next 3 months, or save $100.00 USD and join us for the year. All Sponsorship Packages are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Please help us to support the ongoing distribution of this publication. Consider showing your support for Adaptive Technology over the next 3-12 months while enjoying these incredible benefits:
Sponsorship Package Benefits:
➜ 1.) 4 "This Week's Featured Advertisement" Spots Over The Next 12 Months: Each Annual Sponsor may choose (from those dates still available within the Top Tech Tidbits Sponsorship Calendar) up to FOUR (4) "This Week's Featured Advertisement" dates within the calendar year of their sponsorship. That's 4 Issue dates reaching 6,500+ Adaptive Technology subscribers each.
➜ 2.) 48 Classified Ad Spots Over The Next 12 Months: Each Sponsor is also allocated ONE (1) Sponsor Classified Advertisement in every issue of Tidbits (each week) for the full year of their sponsorship. That's 48 Issues reaching 6,500+ Adaptive Technology subscribers each.And that's not all. If you'd like to learn more, please head on over to the Sponsorship Information section of the Top Tech Tidbits website at https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html. If you're ready to secure your Sponsorship today please contact Aaron Di Blasi of Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. at: email@example.com.
Top Tech Tidbits Supporters:
We couldn't do it without you! Thank for your support!
Tidbits Supporters (https://www.toptechtidbits.com/supporter-information.html) donate an amount of their choosing on an annual basis in order to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication.
If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/donate.html.
In tandem with Our Sponsors, these are the people that make the ongoing distribution of Tidbits possible:
1.) Gary Lee, Platinum Supporter since June 25, 2020.
2.) Anonymous Donation, Platinum Supporter since July 9, 2020.
1.) Howard Goldstein, Gold Supporter since June 4, 2020.
2.) David Goldstein, Gold Supporter since June 12, 2020.
1.) Your name here. Help support Tidbits today at:
1.) Steven Wettlaufer, Bronze Supporter since July 16, 2020.
Top Tech Tidbits Subscription Information:
RELEASE SCHEDULE:The Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter is sent out every Thursday morning at 4:00 AM EST.
SUBSCRIBE:Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter on the Top Tech Tidbits Website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com or by (SMS) texting "TOPTECHTIDBITS" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter. It's that easy.
DONATE:If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/donate.html.
WEBSITE:Visit the Top Tech Tidbits website online at https://www.toptechtidbits.com.
POLLS:Answering Questions: Are you an experienced or proficient user of AT (Assistive Technology)? Do you represent a company or organization that serves and / or operates within the AT (Assistive Technology) space? If you are, or if you do, we would love to hear your opinions on any of our many AT-related Polls. Weigh in and view the results for any Top Tech Tidbits Poll on the Top Tech Tidbits website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/polls.html.
Asking Questions: Do you have an intriguing AT-related question that you'd like to see posed to the Tidbits community? While we cannot guarantee that all submissions will be utilized, we promise to choose the very best of them to be included in future issues. Available Poll Types are: Multiple Choice, Checkboxes, Drop-Down List, Scale of 1 to 5, and Ranking in Order of Preference. You may send your AT-related questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
FACEBOOK:Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Facebook News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/facebook.
TWITTER:Are you on Twitter? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Twitter News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/twitter.
RSS:Do you prefer RSS? Follow Top Tech Tidbits via RSS today to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology using your choice of news aggregator: https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits.
QUESTIONS:Tidbits are intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVEVisit the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter Archive at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/archive.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT CONTRIBUTORS:Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be directed to our Editor, Dean Martineau, at: email@example.com.
Information provided by: