Home: Top Tech Tidbtits News: Top Tech Tidbtits Sign Up: Top Tech Tidbits Donate: Top Tech Tidbtits Search: Top Tech Tidbtits Facebook: Top Tech Tidbits Twitter: Top Tech Tidbits LinkedIn: Top Tech Tidbits YouTube: Top Tech Tidbits RSS: Top Tech Tidbits Back to Top
Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, September 3, 2020 - Volume 771The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication
Top Tech Tidbits. The world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology.
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Learn From World-Renowned Apple Trainer and Consultant John Panarese, ACT, ACSP Certified
It's the perfect time for us to start thinking about how we can improve our technology along with our technical skills. Not that we need to think too much because John Panarese is ready to show you how you can get started. John Panarese is a world-renowned Apple Trainer and Consultant with credentials as an ACT-Certified Educator and an Apple-Certified Support Professional (ACSP). John has specifically designed online tutorials and courses to go along with his one-on-one training and has more than 11 years of experience working in the Apple environment, which enables him to reach out to blind and vision-impaired persons worldwide. John is extremely flexible when it comes to how he delivers his courses and tutorials. He can do it via Zoom, online, or by phone. John is very unique in that he can customize and construct courses to suit your individual needs. Get started now! Become technically enabled! Increase your employment opportunities! Stay in touch with the rest of the world and learn how to communicate with friends, family, and more! And most importantly, do it the affordable way! Let John Panarese show you how! Visit https://www.macfortheblind.com to learn more today!
1) An Introduction to Mozilla ThunderbirdThis Zoom workshop will take place on GMT Saturday, 12 September at 00:00. Here is the link to participate:
2) Non-Visual Access ConferenceThis two-day conference for technology trainers from the National Federation of the Blind will take place 24-25 September 2020. It is free and virtual. Register here:
3) Demonstration of BlindShell PhoneThis Maryland Library for the Blind audio presentation will be held on Saturday, 12 September 2020 at 14:00 GMT:
4) Catching Up With JAWSBrian Hartgen offers a 90-minute course covering new features in JAWS 2020 and the very new features, not announced yet, for JAWS 2021:
5) BBQ In Review:The Blind Bargains Qast crew puts a lot of former interviews together to keep us informed until their next podcast:
6) Orbit Writer on Talking TechThe little Bluetooth writing device is the topic for this Vision Australia podcast:
7) JAWS Training for Teachers and AT InstructorsFreedom Scientific is producing monthly lessons with exercises and resources:
8) Using Microsoft Office with Assistive Technology Mailing ListA mailing list for blind or visually impaired users to ask questions and provide support covering using Microsoft Office with Assistive Technology has been formed. To subscribe, send a blank message to:
9) The Veil, Audio Game for Windows and XBoxThis podcast features an interview with the game developer:
10) New Features in JAWS, ZoomText, and FusionWe've had an update, so the Web Friendly Help is ready to tell us what's new:
11) What's New and Noteworthy for August from AppleVisIt's the first of the month, so we know to expect a review of what has gone on in Apple accessibility last month:
12) Top Tech Tidbits Receives Its First Sponsor TestimonialSince the transition of Top Tech Tidbits to a not-for-profit publication intent on utilizing sponsorships and donations to support its distribution there have been many questions. One of the most pressing of these questions has been, "Will Sponsors see a worthwhile return on investment for their Sponsorship dollars?" And the answer, initially at least, appears to be positive. Please read what Sponsor Barry Scheur of GuideLightsAndGadgets.us had to say about his first quarter experience as a Top Tech Tidbits sponsor within the new Testimonials section of the Top Tech Tidbits website. While only Sponsor Testimonials will be highlighted within the newsletter, whether you're a Sponsor, a long time Tidbits reader, or you just received your first issue last week, we'd love to hear from you:
13) Tidbits Opinion Poll Results: Last week a reader asked, "I'd like to find out who is using what kind of robotic vacuum these days. I know Roomba gets a lot of press but there are a lot of other good ones too like the Roborock, Shark IQ, etc. Of course accessibility is important, but I would also like to know how good a job each does cleaning since many of us cannot verify this without sighted assistance."So far we've received only 1 recommendation, which was, "We have been using the Roomba vacuum for many years. My sighted wife says it does a good job for what it is. That's good enough for me. Also, when we had a service issue, they were very helpful. I hope that helps." Share your opinion with us on this, and future AT-related polls, on the Top Tech Tidbits website where you can weigh in and view results:
14) New Tidbits Opinion Poll: A Reader Asks, "In this age of COVID, I have been looking for alternative ways to provide remote training for ZoomText. Does anyone have any program suggestions similar to JAWS tandem that they use with ZoomText to see what the user sees at the same time without being in the same room? Free to low cost suggestions please."https://poll.app.do/zoomtext-remote-training-options
15) Future Tidbits Polls: Do you have an intriguing AT-related question that you'd like to see posed to the Tidbits community?Send your AT-related questions to:
Answer past Poll questions you may have missed at:
Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor Classified Ads:
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:We want to help you sound better on your next Zoom meeting. Check out our affordable, V7, on-ear USB headset microphone for just $39.95. We also have Orbit Writer keyboards and Orbit Reader 20 braille displays in stock and ready to ship. Visit https://www.atguys.com/ for these and other great back-to-school products.
Sponsor Since: June 11th 2020
About: ATGuys.com. Your access technology experts, home for cool gadgets, accessories, and more. Our products are all tested to work great for blind and visually impaired users but also work just as well for anyone. If there's an item you're looking for, or if you have a question, please don't hesitate to send us a message or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:Would you like to learn to control your computer with your voice, or to create documents using your voice rather than the keyboard? There are several tools to accomplish these objectives. I can provide training in their use. Write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
Website: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/ 🌐
About: Dean Martineau is the Founder and a Contributing Editor to the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:Magnify the world around you with APH's selection of desktop, portable magnifiers. From simple, user-friendly features, to high-tech and tablet-based functionality, Jupiter and MATT Connect magnifiers will help you see the world in high definition! Whether in the classroom, workplace, or home; Jupiter and Matt Connect are designed for users of all ages to continue the activities that bring joy to everyday life, while also exploring opportunities for lifelong education. Visit https://www.aph.org/ to learn more.
Sponsor Since: July 2nd 2020
Website: https://www.aph.org/ 🌐
About: Since 1858, the American Printing House for the Blind has operated in Louisville, Kentucky as the world's largest nonprofit organization, creating accessible learning experiences through educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are blind and visually impaired. APH believes that the future belongs to everyone. By offering innovative products and services, APH opens up a door of opportunities for lifelong independence and success.
Donna Jodhan Publications
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:This week's call to action from author Donna Jodhan! Become a supporter of my initiatives to help kids with special needs to stay active during Covid19! They must not be forgotten! Visit me at https://www.donnajodhan.com/donate.html and take advantage of some very exciting and affordable subscriptions!
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
Website: https://www.donnajodhan.com/ 🌐
About: My name is Donna J. Jodhan and I have been blind all my life, but that has not prevented me from living independently as someone who takes care of my own home and garden, travels regularly for my job, and runs my own business. I am an entrepreneur, blogger, author, audio mystery writer, advocate, podcaster, and law student. I enjoy cooking, ice skating, playing chess, composing on my electronic keyboard, and communicating with nature.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:GuideLights And Gadgets: Great Buys, Choices, Service! New Class: Go Into Orbit with Mystic Access: https://www.mysticaccess.com/go/3hqh5s. Let's Go Shopping! Fri - Sat, 9/4-5, Listen to Kae & Barry! Nnew Deals: Our own Orbit Writer & Phone Leather Case: tough enough for a biker, $20; Orbit Writer Tutorial by Lisa Salinger, $30 DualScan Infrared Talking Thermometer, $70; Get 3 Multi-Pocket Leather Cross-Body Bags $36 & free shipping! Soundbox Amplifiers: Listen on the go; No Wires; Great Sound; 5 Models; $30 - $75. Call Barry at (617) 969-7500 ☎.
Sponsor Since: June 25th 2020
Website: http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/ 🌐
About: Our Scope of Products: We specialize in 3 lines of products, all intended to assist in access to adaptive electronics, enhance experiences for guide dog teams, and offer practical solutions for organization and travel with a variety of leather bags, pouches, and backpacks. Then there are the random products that are included, just for fun! We enjoy working with our customers 1-on-1 to their money is well spent and not wasted on something they may not use. In thinking about our customers and whether we will carry a product our guiding motto is that it must be: practical, affordable, simple, tested, and accessible (the pasta principle) and it seems to work very well.
What We Do: We bring our business either via zoom, phone, or to your conference or convention, to give each customer a chance for questions and where possible, "hands on" evaluation of the merchandise. Kae and I test and use each product as blind users before we put it in our catalog. In the case of products for guide and service dogs, our own three guides, Thor, Debra and Melody, are engaged in the process of evaluating the usefulness, durability, and/or fun of the product. We want each of our products to be useful, accessible, afforable, and, whenever possible, fun! Our inventory is constantly changing, so a visit to us is never the same experience twice!
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:It's the perfect time to choose your next online tutorial! Why not look at some iOS tutorials? John Panarese has some exciting ones to share with you! Take advantage of learning from a world class tutor! https://www.macfortheblind.com
Authorized Apple Business Affiliate
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
About: Macfortheblind.com is a place specifically for blind people who are either users or potential users of Macintosh computers or iOS devices, such as the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, iPod Nano, Apple Watch and Apple TV. I am a blind individual who has used the Mac ever since VoiceOver became available in OS 10.4 Tiger, and I own an iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Book Pro laptop computer, an iPhone 6S, an iPad Air, an Apple Watch and an Apple TV 4th Generation. In addition, I am an Authorized Apple Business Affiliate, and as an Apple Certified Support Professional and an Apple Certified Trainer, I offer training and technical support for individuals, agencies and organizations on the mac and all iDevices, as well as offering assistive technology consulting.
Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday is a leading, not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over6,500 Adaptive Technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week. Over the last 12 months our 100% legally-compliant opt-in subscriber list has had an Average Open Rate of 37%, an Average Click-Through Rate of 42% and an Average Bounce Rate of 2.8%.
We now offer 12 Annual Sponsorship Packages which are used to support the ongoing distribution of the publication. There are currently 6 of these 12 packages still available. Secure one of these remaining packages today for only $325.00 USD for the next 3 months, or save $100.00 USD and join us for the year. All Sponsorship Packages are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Please help us to support the ongoing distribution of this publication. Consider showing your support for Adaptive Technology over the next 3-12 months while enjoying these incredible benefits:
Sponsorship Package Benefits:
➜ 1.) 4 "This Week's Featured Advertisement" Spots Over The Next 12 Months: Each Annual Sponsor may choose (from those dates still available within the Top Tech Tidbits Sponsorship Calendar) up to FOUR (4) "This Week's Featured Advertisement" dates within the calendar year of their sponsorship. That's 4 Issue dates reaching 6,500+ Adaptive Technology subscribers each.
➜ 2.) 48 Classified Ad Spots Over The Next 12 Months: Each Sponsor is also allocated ONE (1) Sponsor Classified Advertisement in every issue of Tidbits (each week) for the full year of their sponsorship. That's 48 Issues reaching 6,500+ Adaptive Technology subscribers each.And that's not all. If you'd like to learn more, please head on over to the Sponsorship Information section of the Top Tech Tidbits website at https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html. If you're ready to secure your Sponsorship today please contact Aaron Di Blasi of Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. at: email@example.com.
Top Tech Tidbits Supporters:
We couldn't do it without you! Thank for your support!
Tidbits Supporters (https://www.toptechtidbits.com/supporter-information.html) donate an amount of their choosing on an annual basis in order to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication.
If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/donate.html.
In tandem with Our Sponsors, these are the people that make the ongoing distribution of Tidbits possible:
1.) Gary Lee, Platinum Supporter since June 25, 2020.
2.) Anonymous Donation, Platinum Supporter since July 9, 2020.
1.) Howard Goldstein, Gold Supporter since June 4, 2020.
2.) David Goldstein, Gold Supporter since June 12, 2020.
1.) Your name here. Help support Tidbits today at:
1.) Steven Wettlaufer, Bronze Supporter since July 16, 2020.
Top Tech Tidbits Subscription Information:
RELEASE SCHEDULE:The Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter is sent out every Thursday morning at 4:00 AM EST.
SUBSCRIBE:Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter on the Top Tech Tidbits Website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com or by (SMS) texting "TOPTECHTIDBITS" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter. It's that easy.
DONATE:If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/donate.html.
WEBSITE:Visit the Top Tech Tidbits website online at https://www.toptechtidbits.com.
POLLS:Answering Questions: Are you an experienced or proficient user of AT (Assistive Technology)? Do you represent a company or organization that serves and / or operates within the AT (Assistive Technology) space? If you are, or if you do, we would love to hear your opinions on any of our many AT-related Polls. Weigh in and view the results for any Top Tech Tidbits Poll on the Top Tech Tidbits website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/polls.html.
Asking Questions: Do you have an intriguing AT-related question that you'd like to see posed to the Tidbits community? While we cannot guarantee that all submissions will be utilized, we promise to choose the very best of them to be included in future issues. Available Poll Types are: Multiple Choice, Checkboxes, Drop-Down List, Scale of 1 to 5, and Ranking in Order of Preference. You may send your AT-related questions to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
FACEBOOK:Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Facebook News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/facebook.
TWITTER:Are you on Twitter? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Twitter News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/twitter.
RSS:Do you prefer RSS? Follow Top Tech Tidbits via RSS today to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology using your choice of news aggregator: https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits.
QUESTIONS:Tidbits are intentionally concise. As a result we know that some readers may not always understand all of the items listed because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVEVisit the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter Archive at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/archive.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT CONTRIBUTORS:Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be submitted online via our Top Tech Tidbit Submission Form at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/submit-tidbit or directed to our Editors at: email@example.com.
Information provided by: