Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, December 17, 2020 - Volume 786The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication
Top Tech Tidbits. The world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology.
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays Everyone!
Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone! There is still time for you to buy that very special gift for someone very special and Donna Jodhan world renowned audio mysteries writer, and Apple tutor, trainer, and consultant has made it very easy for you to finish your shopping on time. Donna and her team have come together to create a very exciting gift list to choose from. One that will ensure that some very special people are not left out, left behind or forgotten. Because she believes that at especially this time of the year, we need to take that extra step to make sure that everyone can celebrate, share, give, and receive. And even more so to think of those families with parents and Children with disabilities who are facing great hardships because of Covid challenges. At this time of the year we need to remember to bring joy, warmth, and good will into the hearts and homes of those families with parents and/or children with disabilities. For these are the families who are too often forgotten, left behind, or simply ignored. Donna and her team offer gift certificates that you can use to purchase any item on this gift list! Providing virtual meals to families with parents and/or Children who are disabled. Bedtime stories where the heroes are both adults and/or children with disabilities. One hour of tutoring to families with parents and/or Children who are disabled. Tips on scams and privacy to parents and Children who are disabled. Email support to families with parents and/or Children who are disabled. Mystery games and mind bending puzzles to families with parents and/or Children who are disabled. Take advantage of these unique and exciting gifts! Help Donna and her team to ensure that these very special families will enjoy a very merry Christmas and happy holidays! In return for purchasing any one of these gift certificates, you will have full access to any one or all of Donna's subscription libraries at no cost. Recipes, home and garden, audio mysteries. Visit https://donnajodhan.com/donorbox.
Dear Tidbits Subscriber,
Sincerest thanks to everyone that has written in with positive feedback regarding the new "Last Week's Most Clicked Tidbit" section. Due to its popularity we have agreed to expand this into a "Top 3 Most Clicked Tidbits From Last Week" section in order to provide readers with even more metrics on their actual clicks. Here's what you voted most informative last week. - Aaron Di Blasi, Publisher
1) Top 3 Most Clicked Tidbits From Last WeekA.) 14 Essential Siri Time-Savers You May Have Overlooked: (15.9% of all clicks.)
B.) Be My Eyes Recommends Hands-Free Accessories and Wearables: (12.2% of all clicks.)
C.) How iPhone 12's Lidar and AI Help Me navigate the Street as a Blind Person: (10.1% of all clicks.)
2) NVDA 2020.4 Beta 1 Available for TestingThis week a lot of new features are coming to NVDA 2020.4, we can test the beta:
3) VoiceOver Preview for MacOSThe latest FireFox Beta appears to work very well on the Mac:
4) The AppleVis Community Names Weather Gods and Untold RPG as Its Golden Apples of 2020A popular weather app and a role-playing game win this year's AppleVis awards:
5) Locate Deals with Microsoft EdgeThis Microsoft blog post is enhanced by screen reader navigation information:
6) Keyboard Navigation in DiscordThis program's keyboard navigation has recently been enhanced:
7) Accessible COVID-19 Statistics TrackerThis has been around for several months, but the author makes enhancements, and shares info via social media and a newsletter:
8) Skype for the Blind Mailing ListIf you want to join, put the word subscribe in the subject field of an otherwise empty message and send it to:
9) Android 'Voice Access' Natural Language Features Expand to Older Versions in BetaBlind Android users might find this feature of use, and it is now available on phones running older versions of the operating system. When activated, Voice Access allows near-full control of your smartphone using only voice commands. This is traditionally accomplished using numbers on the screen, but Android 11 added the ability for natural language to be used. For example, a user can say 'open Twitter and tweet [insert tweet]' and Voice Access will know what to do. Demos from earlier this year showed just how powerful the functionality could be:
10) Accessibility Improvements in iOS 14 on Eyes on SuccessEpisode #2051, the next-to-last one of the year, features an interview with Shelly Brisbin, whose comprehensive book on iOS accessibility should be out soon:
11) EBUAccessCast 27It's the last podcast of the year from the European Blind Union:
12) Birth of a Universal Translator? How Alexa's New Live Translation for Conversation WorksA couple days ago Amazon launched Alexa's new Live Translation feature, which allows individuals speaking in two different languages to converse with each other, with Alexa acting as an interpreter and translating both sides of the conversation:
13) Vision Australia Free Webinar: Digital Accessibility - Your Questions AnsweredJoin the Digital Access team and special guests, David Woodbridge, Bruce Maguire and partners TaggedPDF, for a free webinar tailored to answering all of the questions you want to ask relating to digital accessibility. Takes place today Thursday, December 17th 2020 at 17:30 GMT. That's 12:30 PM EST:
14) Envision Announces Official Launch of AI-Powered Smart Glasses for The Blind and Visually ImpairedEnvision's software uses artificial intelligence (AI) to extract information from images and then speaks the images out loud so the user has a greater understanding of the environment around them:
15) Xbox Is Exploring Accessibility Options For Gamers With EpilepsyAs we usher in the next generation of consoles, the debuting hardware of the PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X currently offers two of the most powerful gaming experiences ever released. With rapid-loading SSD's, haptic feedback, and Smart Delivery already part of the next-gen lexicon, console technology is unquestionably at its peak of capability and it appears Xbox is aiming to utilize these new resources with the rollout of all-new accessibility options:
16) For Apple, Accessibility Starts Early in the Product Development ProcessSpeaking at the Sight Tech Global conference Apple executives Chris Fleizach and Sarah Herrlinger went deep on the company's efforts to make its products accessible to users with disabilities:
17) Does Auto Captioning Effectively Accomodate Deaf People?In this recent YouTube video from the National Deaf Center Stephanie Zito and Zainab Alkebsi tackle this question:
18) Overview of the BlindShell Classic Smartphone:According to the developer's website, the BlindShell Classic is the "most accessible cell phone for people who are blind or have visual impairments." Unlike most smartphones on the market today, this one features a physical keyboard which consists of large, tactile buttons:
19) Blue Apron Accessibility ReviewThis review comes to us courtesy of BlindBargains:
20) Top Tech Tidbits Buy, Sell or TradeWe have two products for sale this week. Review them below or on the Tidbits website at:
Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor Classified Ads:
Sponsor: Dean Martineau
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:Would you like to learn to control your computer with your voice, or to create documents using your voice rather than the keyboard? There are several tools to accomplish these objectives. I can provide training in their use. Write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org if interested.
Editor, Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
Website: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/ 🌐
About: Dean Martineau is the Founder and a Contributing Editor to the Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter.
Sponsor: Be My Eyes
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:Accessible Pharmacy, the new, home delivery pharmacy with a blind founder, is bringing its full range of support and services to Be My Eyes. Users of the Be My Eyes app can now call Accessible Pharmacy directly to get support with medication, medical devices, and even home delivery COVID testing. With a fully trained and discreet pharmacy staff on call from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM Pacific, Accessible Pharmacy is the new way for blind and low vision consumers to get an easy, frictionless pharmacy experience. Call today — and you'll never have to take an Uber to the drugstore again. https://www.bemyeyes.com/blog/accessible-pharmacy-joins-be-my-eyes.
Lead Contact: Will Butler, VP of Community
Sponsor Since: November 5th 2020
Website: https://www.bemyeyes.com/ 🌐
Download The App (iOS):
Download The App (Android):
About: Be My Eyes is a free mobile app that allows anyone who needs video support to get assistance from a dynamic range of volunteers and company customer support professionals from around the world. With more than 4 million volunteers and dozens of companies offering on-demand visual interpretation and support, Be My Eyes is a free, unlimited way to bridge gaps and get access to whatever information you need — 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in any language. Download the app today from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
Sponsor: Sprint IP Relay
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:One challenge someone with a combined vision and hearing loss must address is accessing the phone system without adequate vision or hearing. Individuals with no hearing but vision can access the phone system using a videophone. Those with no vision, but who have hearing can use the phone as it was intended. How would someone with vision and hearing loss continue to call doctors, contact emergency services such as 911, arrange for medical appointments, contact businesses, or friends and family who do not text? One solution, for those living in the U.S. with a form of hearing loss, is Sprint IP Relay. Come learn more at our webinars, specialized for the DeafBlind community. 11/10 at 10 AM EST, 11/12 at 4:30 PM EST, 11/17 at 1:00 PM EST, or 11/19 at 1:00 PM EST. RSVP by November 6th 2020 to email@example.com. CART and ASL interpretation will be provided.
Sponsor Since: October 22nd 2020
Website: https://www.sprintip.com/ 🌐
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
Download The App (iOS):
Download The App (Android):
Accessibility Customer Care: (800) 676-3777 ☎
About: Sprint IP Relay allows people who are Deaf, Hard of Hearing, DeafBlind or with a Speech Disability to make or receive phone calls using an internet connection, a computer, tablet or smartphone. Simply type what you want to say to the operator, the operator relays the message to the person you called and then types the caller's response back to you. This process is all done through text, so a user with a braille display, for example, would not need to see the screen or use their voice to communicate with the hearing caller. The Sprint IP Relay service is available at no charge for those who are eligible. Registration is required to verify an individual's identity and residency. If you are a person who is deaf, hard of hearing, DeafBlind or have a speech disability, you will qualify to register for the Sprint IP Relay Service. The user can call anyone at any time within the United States and its territories. Email email@example.com with any questions.
Sponsor: LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired Adaptations Online Store
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:Featured Products: Revolution Cane Tip: Standard Roller Tip: $14.50 | Locator Dots: Small Pack of 6 (Clear or Orange): $2.00 | NFB Metal Cane Tip: $3.00 | TMAP - On Demand Tactile Street | Map (set of two maps): $25.00 | Ambutech Aluminum Folding Cane: $35.00 | NFB Chris Park Telescoping Cane: $45.00 | BoldWriter 20 Pen (Individual or 6-pack): $2.00 | Bump Dots: Mixed (50 count): $7.00 | Braille Apple Catalina VoiceOver Guide OSX 10.15 (3 volumes) - Latest Manual: $52.00 | SpeedDots iPhone Tactile Screen Protector, Phone Layout: $12.00 | NFB Chris Park 7-Piece Folding Cane: $50.00 | Visit https://adaptations.org/ to learn more today!
Sponsor Since: October 1, 2020
Website: https://adaptations.org/ 🌐
Toll Free: (888) 400-8933 ☎
Local: (415) 694-7301 ☎
About: Founded in 1902, San Francisco's LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired promotes the independence, equality and self-reliance of people who are blind or have low vision. Adaptations is your online go-to for tools, technology, and accessible solutions for blind and visually impaired people.
Sponsor: American Printing House (APH)
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:APH's Braille Trail Reader LE refreshable braille display will start your students' braille journey with a positive technology experience that allows them to discover the joys of reading and writing. This 14-cell braille display features a Windows app for easy file transfer between teachers and students. Also perfect for the working adult: users can take notes, and create, edit and read text and braille files. Learn more at https://www.aph.org/product/braille-trail-reader-le/.
Website: https://www.aph.org/ 🌐
Toll Free and Customer Support: (800) 223-1839 ☎
Phone: (512) 895-2405 ☎
Fax: (512) 899-2284 ░
YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/WENRlCNDsxQ 🎥
Free Apps & Actions from APH: https://www.aph.org/free-apps-from-aph/ 📱
About: Since 1858, the American Printing House for the Blind has operated in Louisville, Kentucky as the world's largest nonprofit organization, creating accessible learning experiences through educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are blind and visually impaired. APH believes that the future belongs to everyone. By offering innovative products and services, APH opens up a door of opportunities for lifelong independence and success.
Sponsor: GuideLights and Gadgets
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:GuideLights And Gadgets: End of Year Pricing. New! BN Touch Plus Form Fitting Leather Case; $60. Inquire about half price and closeout bag deals! Mystery Gadget and Doggie bags; Through Dec. 31, we will double your choice of $25 or $50 gadgets-leather or "all-things-dog" grab bags; minimum $50 or $100 of items. New! Evo 10 Portable Daisy Player with Internet Radio, Podcatcher, timer, lots more; Ivona Joey and Sally; Mystic Access tutorial, leather case, SD card; $225! Leather Orbit Writer case; Braille on the go; $30. Accurate Non-Contact Talking Infrared Thermometer; $55 w/shipping. Call Barry: (617) 969-7500 ☎; firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
Sponsor Since: June 25th 2020
Website: http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/ 🌐
For Gadgets and Leather Contact Barry at:
For All Things Dog Contact Kae at:
About: Our Scope of Products: We specialize in 3 lines of products, all intended to assist in access to adaptive electronics, enhance experiences for guide dog teams, and offer practical solutions for organization and travel with a variety of leather bags, pouches, and backpacks. Then there are the random products that are included, just for fun! We enjoy working with our customers 1-on-1 to their money is well spent and not wasted on something they may not use. In thinking about our customers and whether we will carry a product our guiding motto is that it must be: practical, affordable, simple, tested, and accessible (the pasta principle) and it seems to work very well.
What We Do: We bring our business either via zoom, phone, or to your conference or convention, to give each customer a chance for questions and where possible, "hands on" evaluation of the merchandise. Kae and I test and use each product as blind users before we put it in our catalog. In the case of products for guide and service dogs, our own three guides, Thor, Debra and Melody, are engaged in the process of evaluating the usefulness, durability, and/or fun of the product. We want each of our products to be useful, accessible, afforable, and, whenever possible, fun! Our inventory is constantly changing, so a visit to us is never the same experience twice!
Sponsor: A. T. Guys
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:If you're like me, you probably have more things to plug into your computer than available ports. That's why we've now added the Plugable USBC 7-in-1 Hub. Plug it into your laptop and you will get 3 USB ports, SD and Micro SD card slots, a USBC charging port, and an HDMI video port. It's available now for just $29.95:
Sponsor Since: June 11th 2020
Website: https://www.atguys.com/ 🌐
Phone: (269) 216-4798 ☎
Email: email@example.com ✉
Skype: atguys ✆
Twitter: https://twitter.com/atguys (@atguys) ✍
Facebook: https://facebook.com/atguys ✍
About: ATGuys.com. Your access technology experts, home for cool gadgets, accessories, and more. Our products are all tested to work great for blind and visually impaired users but also work just as well for anyone. If there's an item you're looking for, or if you have a question, please don't hesitate to send us a message or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
Sponsor: John Panarese
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:Now John Panarese is offering you the opportunity to purchase very affordable gift certificates! Guaranteed to brighten up the faces of families with parents and kids with a disability! You see! John has come up with a very unique way to bring knowledge into the homes of these families! Visit https://donorbox.org/macfortheblind.
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
Website: https://www.macfortheblind.com/ 🌐
Donate Course Time: https://donorbox.org/macfortheblind ❤
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
About: Macfortheblind.com is a place specifically for blind people who are either users or potential users of Macintosh computers or iOS devices, such as the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, iPod Nano, Apple Watch and Apple TV. I am a blind individual who has used the Mac ever since VoiceOver became available in OS 10.4 Tiger, and I own an iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Book Pro laptop computer, an iPhone 6S, an iPad Air, an Apple Watch and an Apple TV 4th Generation. In addition, I am an Authorized Apple Business Affiliate, and as an Apple Certified Support Professional and an Apple Certified Trainer, I offer training and technical support for individuals, agencies and organizations on the mac and all iDevices, as well as offering assistive technology consulting.
Sponsor: Donna Jodhan
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:Just in time for the holidays! Let's help those in need to cope with those Covid challenges! Donna Jodhan is a world renowned audio mysteries writer and producer! With over 10 years of writing and producing, her audio mysteries continue to be enjoyed worldwide! The President's Super Christmas Plane! Imaginative, and a must have! Mystery all the way until the very last moment! Visit Donna at https://donorbox.org/author-donna-jodhan. Your donations will be used to create virtual mystery games and mind bending puzzles for parents and children with disabilities.
Author, Donna Jodhan Publications
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
Website: https://donnajodhan.com/ 🌐
Donate: https://donorbox.org/author-donna-jodhan ❤
About: My name is Donna J. Jodhan and I have been blind all my life, but that has not prevented me from living independently as someone who takes care of my own home and garden, travels regularly for my job, and runs my own business. I am an entrepreneur, blogger, author, audio mystery writer, advocate, podcaster, and law student. I enjoy cooking, ice skating, playing chess, composing on my electronic keyboard, and communicating with nature.
Your Name Here
|Home: Top Tech Tidbits||News: Top Tech Tidbits||Subscribe: Top Tech Tidbits||Donate: Top Tech Tidbits||Search: Top Tech Tidbits||Facebook: Top Tech Tidbits||Twitter: Top Tech Tidbits||LinkedIn: Top Tech Tidbits||YouTube: Top Tech Tidbits||RSS: Top Tech Tidbits||Back to Top|
Information provided by: