Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, May 20, 2021 - Volume 807The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication
Top Tech Tidbits. The world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology.
This Week's Featured Advertisement: GuideLights And Gadgets Invites You To Listen, Learn, Like and Buy From Our Diverse Selection of Leather, Electronics, and Dog Products!
New And Popular: Aluminum telescopic cane that does not collapse; 6 sections, any length up to 59 inches. Non-Contact Infrared Talking Thermometer; accurate and easy to use. Our tough cowhide leather on-the-go neck pouch or cross-body bag with 5 pockets to hold your essentials; 5x7x3, ideal for AIRA. Soundbox amplifiers; 5 models, from $30 to $75. Orbit Writer "go-case"; tutorial. Our convenient "squeezy" pouches for sorting and storage. Convention season is upon us, and we promise a bag full of specials! Go to: https://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/. For more info call Barry at: (617) 969-7500 ☎, BScheur.GadgetsAndTech@gmail.com ✉ or Kae at: (781) 286-1696 ☎ GuideLightDogs@gmail.com ✉. We love our customers - let us help find just the right products for you!
Dear Tidbits Subscriber,
1) Top 5 Most Clicked Tidbits From Last WeekA.) Windows 10 Keyboard Shortcuts Cheatsheet: (9.3% of all clicks.)
B.) Guide Dog on Wheels Detects Obstacles and Traffic Light Signals: (7.4% of all clicks.)
C.) Smartphone App Helps Blind People Stand in Socially Distanced Lines: (5.1% of all clicks.)
D.) Bose Debuts $850 SoundControl Hearing Aids: (4.2% of all clicks.)
E.) Brailliant BI 20X Braille Display Review: (4.0% of all clicks.)
2) Today is 10th Annual Global Accessibility Awareness DayRecognized on the 3rd Thursday in May of each year, today we celebrate Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD). GAAD is a day to bring awareness to, and educate people globally on, the importance of digital accessibility for people with disabilities and impairments, including the more than one billion people who are blind or visually impaired, hard of hearing, or have motor and/or cognitive disabilities:
3) One Top Tech Tidbits Sponsorship Package Available as of June 4th 2021If you are on our waiting list you have already been notified of this availability. As of this writing this sponsorship package is still available. If you would like to join us in supporting Tidbits while enjoying some really incredible marketing benefits please reach out to our publisher today at: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉. Or learn more at:
4) Chicago Lighthouse Celebrates GAAD with Accessibility 101 Crash Course WebsiteIn celebration of 2021 Global Accessibility Awareness Day The Chicago Lighthouse has launched a #GAAD website. The site is filled with fun facts and interactive experiences like the Mouse Trap Challenge. In this activity people have to attempt to navigate their favorite website without using a mouse. The idea is that they will get a feel for how those of us who are blind navigate websites with only our keyboard. Additionally, they will be interviewing Joe Devon, the creator of #GAAD in a couple of weeks:
5) WebAIM Million - 2021 UpdateThe 2021 WebAIM Million Report is now available. This annual accessibility analysis of the home pages of the top one million web sites provides insight into the current state of and trends for web accessibility. The report provides details into technical aspects of accessibility and comparisons for many types of home page categories, such as by TLD, document language, site sector, and technologies in use. The WAVE web accessibility testing tool was used to analyze the 1,000,000 home pages:
6) 'Today at Apple' Celebrates Global Accessibility Awareness Day With Sessions Presented in American Sign LanguageApple will offer Getting Started with iPhone and Getting Started with iPad sessions presented live in American Sign Language and using VoiceOver. Getting Started sessions cover the fundamentals of iOS and iPadOS, customization, and favorite tips. Learn more at:
7) Microsoft Kicks Off The Rollout of Windows 10 21H1Microsoft is starting to roll out its Windows 10 21H1 feature update. Here's how and where you can get it:
8) Apple Previews Powerful Software Updates Designed for People with DisabilitiesApple has announced powerful software features designed for people with mobility, vision, hearing, and cognitive disabilities. These next-generation technologies showcase Apple's belief that accessibility is a human right and advance the company's long history of delivering industry-leading features that make Apple products customizable for all users. Apple is also launching a new service on Thursday, May 20th 2021, called SignTime. This enables customers to communicate with AppleCare and Retail Customer Care by using American Sign Language (ASL) in the US, British Sign Language (BSL) in the UK, or French Sign Language (LSF) in France, right in their web browsers:
9) A Chance to Get Some High Quality TrainingCourtesy of Caroline Toews of Hartgen Consultancy. Learn more today at:
10) NV Access In-Process for May 14th 2021: Customising Shortcut Keys in Wordhttps://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-14th-may-2021/
11) PenFriend 3 Voice Labeling SystemIndividuals with visual impairments often require assistance finding specific items around their home or office. The PenFriend 3 Voice Labeling System is one potential solution. According to MaxiAids, the PenFriend 3 is a "best-selling, affordable audio labeler for users who are blind or visually impaired:"
12) A Detailed Demo of Clubhouse on AndroidCourtesy of Blind Android Users. At this time Clubhouse is only available in some regions of the world and some features are not available in all regions:
13) Fellow Tidbits Reader Seeks Fellow Police Scanner Enthusiasts To Trade Tips and TricksThis Tidbits reader writes, "I've enjoyed listening to fire, police, and airport communications using a police scanner since they started making digital radios back in the 80's. As communication technology has evolved over time, these scanners have become more and more difficult to use by blind or low vision folks because they are now controlled by inaccessible menus. What's worse is that, although there is PC-based software available to get around using the menus, just about all of these paid programs don't work with screen readers like JAWS or NVDA. There's a web site called scannerschool.com that has a lot of information about the scanner hobby including podcasts and online courses. I contacted the owner of that site with a question I had, and he became very interested in learning about how I used my scanners without being able to read the menus. He even went so far as to feature me in one of his weekly podcasts! Do you enjoy listening to all the action going on in your area, and are you frustrated because it's too hard to use the newer scanners that have come out lately? If so, come join me in a user group I've set up on groups.io where we can all get together and share ideas and maybe some tips and tricks to actually get even more enjoyment out of these radios. Also, I did find one free and open-source program that does partially work with both JAWS and NVDA, and I use this program all the time. One of my other hopes is that perhaps a developer who knows the language that this free program is written in might discover us, and then be interested in taking a look to see if anything can be done to improve accessibility. To learn more go to: https://groups.io/g/bdigitalscan. To subscribe, send a blank message to:
14) How To Turn On (and Off) Windows Startup Sound In Windows 10 ComputersCourtesy of Wccftech:
15) Portable Podcasting with PodTrakThis is a podcast from the Tech Doctors about the Zoom PodTrak P4 unit, which is gaining some popularity:
16) Another Zoom PodTrak podcastThis one comes from David Woodbridge down under:
17) Desmos Accessible Graphing CalendarThis is a recording of a presentation on an accessible scientific and graphing calculator app for windows, iOS and Mac:
18) Accessible Purchase of CCleanerSome people use CCleaner to help their computer run efficiently. A user reports that it was difficult to purchase the program, but he was given a link to a more accessible purchasing process:
19) May 2021 Braille MonitorArticles relevant to Tidbits include "Overreliance on Overlays is Counter to Enculturation of Accessibility," "A Simple Resume Format," and "The MiniVision2: A Solid Basic Cell Phone:"
20) New Features in JAWS, ZoomText, and FusionA lot is new in the May 2021 Update: Quick Access Bar for navigation programs, ability to navigate through message threads in Outlook, a braille math editor, Voice Assistant improvements, download notifications in Edge, and more:
21) Spanish Podcast Episode About New Versions of Mantis Q and Chameleon DisplaysThis episode of the Tiflo audio podcast is here:
And here are the show notes:
And finally, a text transcript:
22) Microsoft Teams JAWS ScriptsThese are paid scripts offering efficient access to Teams:
And a written transcript:
23) Reaping the Benefits! Using Reaper Audio Workstation, OSARA and JAWS for Windows:This updated $120 course starts on June 30th 2021:
24) 3 Updates on the Spotify Mobile Experience to Help Improve AccessibilityPositive progress:
25) Additions to Nathan Tech's Software PageWe have updates to Luna RSS, Network Utilities and Scientific Calculator:
26) Internet Explorer 11 (IE11) Desktop Application Retires on Windows 10 on June 15, 2022Today Microsoft announced that the future of Internet Explorer on Windows 10 is in Microsoft Edge. Internet Explorer mode (IE mode) provides legacy browser support within Microsoft Edge. Because of this, the IE11 desktop application will be retired on June 15, 2022. This means that the IE11 desktop application will no longer be supported and afterwards will redirect to Microsoft Edge if a user tries to access it:
27) HumanWare is Seeking Private Beta TestersIf you use a BrailleNote Touch Plus notetaker or Brailliant BI X braille display, and would be interested in testing new software before it's released to the general public, we encourage you to read the below message from Andrew Flatres, Product Manager - Braille Products, HumanWare:
28) iOS 14.6 Release Date, Features and What We Know About So FariOS 14.6 could land soon with at least five new features:
29) LibreOffice 7.0.6 Has Been Releasedhttps://blog.documentfoundation.org/blog/2021/05/13/libreoffice-706/
30) IBM Unveils App to Help Visually Impaired Users Maintain Distance in LinesThe app is designed to help blind or visually impaired people find the end of the line and continuously report the distance and direction of the last person in line so the user can follow them easily. The app uses the RGB camera integrated into the smartphone and detects nearby pedestrians. It also leverages the integrated infrared depth sensor to estimate their position:
31) New Braille Book Swap Email ListTim Pennick, a member of the Braillists Forum, has set up an experimental list for the exchange of information about braille books available for passing on to future readers. The list is called BrailleBookSwap@groups.io. The description of the group which he has initially set up is as follows: "This group has been set up to facilitate the exchange of hard-copy braille books primarily in the UK. The RNIB has recently withdrawn braille library facilities, replacing them with single use production of books which can be retained or recycled but not returned. The Braille Book Swap list is available to reduce the destruction of books which might be read several times, thus reducing the consumption of paper, and the energy required to emboss a new copy. The method for transporting books is left to individuals though surviving RNIB canvas book bags would be ideal. Members wishing to make a book available are encouraged to post a short review of the book and the number of braille pamphlets it consists of. You should be able to send a subscription request simply by sending an email message to BrailleBookSwapemail@example.com ✉ however, Tim has found in the past that there are some issues with this mechanism, e.g. some email clients won't allow you to send a message without adding a word or two in the subject line and message body. If you don't manage to set things up using this method, drop a line to firstname.lastname@example.org ✉, and Tim will send you a personal invitation:
➜ Press Releases and Other News
1) Computer Science Senior Creates Tech to Help Students with Visual Impairments Learn to CodeSamuel Alex Atcheson developed a 3D-printed system to teach coding syntax to people with visual impairments using the sense of touch:
2) How to Create Accessible Posts on InstagramInstagram isn't only popular among sighted users. There are many legally blind people with active Instagram accounts. In fact, according to the Royal National Institute of Blind People, 93% of blind people have some level of partial vision. When you also include deaf users - images are silent after all - the number of disabled people who may be accessing your Instagram content may be higher than you think. That's why the accessibility of your posts is so immensely important - even if the impact on you may be nothing at all. The following tips and advice can help you to develop processes and plan your visual content so that all of your followers - whatever their situation - can enjoy your Instagram account:
3) Accessibility And Outdoor Socialising: 'I Feel Unwelcome in My Own City'There's probably quite a nice vibe on your high street at the moment, with tables outside restaurants and bars as people catch up with each other face-to-face for the first time in months. People are enjoying a little bit of normality again by making the most of the UK's pavements and pedestrianised areas, since lockdown rules eased to allow people to socialise outdoors. But it's not been great news for everyone. Some disabled people, especially wheelchair users, have seen reduced access to certain streets and parts of their hometown. Earlier this month, accessibility campaigner Katie Pennick shared her experiences of trying to get through the streets of Soho, London - and received thousands of responses:
4) Xbox Introduces Party Chat Text-To-Speech TranscriptsXbox has added new accessibility features for Xbox Insiders via new text-to-speech and speech-to-text options, with a wide roll out coming soon:
5) Seattle Nonprofit Empowers Blind People to Access Job Training and EmploymentThe Lighthouse for the Blind is 103 years strong. It's now the largest employer for blind individuals on the West Coast:
6) Helen Keller Barbie Joins Mattel's "Inspiring Women" LineThis week Mattel announced its newest addition to its Inspiring Women line: Helen Keller. The company says Keller's lifetime achievements as a renowned author, speaker, educator and advocate make her an extraordinary role model. Keller was the first deaf and blind person to earn a Bachelor of Arts degree:
7) Accessible Birding for Every BodyFounded in 2016 by Virginia Rose, who lost her ability to walk after an accident at age 14, and co-led by occupational therapist and avid birder Freya McGregor, Birdability partnered with National Audubon and has accomplished the following:
8) Guide Dogs for the Blind and The Seeing Eye Create Video to Help Airlines and Airports Assist Travelers Who Are Visually ImpairedThe video includes best practices and tips for helping travelers who are blind or visually impaired:
9) Deep Dive: Can Anyone Be Truly Anonymous Online?If this topic interests you, the title is no exaggeration. This articles offers an incredibly deep and detailed dive into the topic of online anonymity:
➜ Featured Podcast Episodes
1) Hadley Presents: Tips from a Low Vision DoctorMay 14th 2021 | In this episode, we chat with low vision optometrist Dr. Mark Wilkinson from the University of Iowa. Dr. Wilkinson answers common questions and shares his advice for getting the most out of low vision optometry appointments:
2) That Real Blind Tech Show 33 | Amazon Prime Video Demo of Audio Description and AppMay 18th 2021
Because it was a slow work day, Brian decided to do a demo of Amazon Prime Video. Amazon Prime Video has recently exploded with the amount of Audio Described content in their collection:
3) Blind Tech Guys 85 | Listen To Music While Managing Your FilesMay 18th 2021 | On this episode of the pod, we compare the web apps of Dropbox and Google Drive, Nimer demonstrates Spotify on the web and Marco runs us through sound settings on a Samsung S21 Ultra:
4) Eyes on Success 2121 | 2121 Louie Voice ControlMay 19th 2021
Imagine being able to fully control popular smartphone apps and functionality with just voice commands! That is what the Louie Voice Control system enables. Hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey talk with Pramit Bhargava whose own vision loss inspired the concept and led to its development. Hear the system in action and how it can be used to perform everyday tasks:
5) Blind Android Users 24 | Comments on Google IO Keynote And What's New in Android 12 Beta 1May 19th 2021
6) Mosen At Large 123May 19th 2021 Brian Hartgen of Hartgen Consultancy:
➜ Featured Webinars and Training Courses
1) ACB Global Accessibility Awareness Day EventMay 20th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | Join the American Council of the Blind on Thursday, May 20th, at 1pm EST for a special 10th-anniversary celebration of Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD) as ACB's Executive Director Eric Bridges leads a conversation with digital accessibility leaders Jennison Asuncion and Mike Shebanek. Together, Eric, Jennison and Mike will look back at the growth taken place over the past decade in digital accessibility and forecast what new challenges and opportunities rest just beyond the horizon. Co-founder of Global Accessibility awareness Day, Jennison Asuncion currently serves as the head of accessibility for LinkedIn. GAAD is an annual, grassroots effort inviting the broader, high-tech community around the world to participate in in-person and virtual activities intended to raise awareness of digital accessibility issues that people with different disabilities encounter. A long-time pioneer in the space of digital accessibility, Mike Shebanek currently leads Accessibility for Facebook. A co-founder of the Teach-Access movement while at Yahoo, Mike revolutionized the field earlier when he introduced while at Apple the Voiceover text-to-speech application, which was included for free in Mac OS and IOS devices. The event will be streamed over ACB's social media channels and on ACB Radio. To access the live stream you can also visit:
2) University of Phoenix Diversity Webcast Panel on Global Accessibility Awareness DayMay 20th 2021 | 11AM PT, 12PM MT, 1PM CT, 2PM ET, 6PM GMT | The University of Phoenix will host a diversity webcast panel on Global Accessibility Awareness Day (GAAD). The panel will examine leading practices on accessibility as part of diversity, equity and inclusion and what steps employers need to take within their companies to create a culture of accessibility that supports employees and customers. To learn more or to register for the panel:
3) The Impact of Digital Accessibility on People who are Blind or Visually Impaired | GAAD Webinar by the Carroll Center for the BlindMay 20th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | Today marks the tenth annual Global Accessibility Awareness Day. To get everyone thinking and talking about what inclusion and accessibility means, and how we can all make a difference, the experts from the Accessibility Services team at the Carroll Center for the Blind will be hosting a conversation with three panelists who are blind. They will discuss how they utilize various devices to access digital content for education, employment, and daily living tasks. Learn about their triumphs and frustrations with digital accessibility by joining us for this free webinar, The Impact of Digital Accessibility on People who are Blind or Visually Impaired. Register at:
4) Outlook, Tips and Tricks from Power Users | Freedom Scientific WebinarMay 20th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | Are you looking for ways to navigate your email faster? Want tips to increase productivity? Join us for this live webinar. We will show you valuable tasks that will help you use Outlook more efficiently. Topics include how to add items to the Access Bar, how to use the search feature to quickly locate items in the Ribbon, and how to create an email signature. *ACVREP credits will be available for those who attend the live webinar. Register here:
5) Zoom Webinar from Florida Outreach Center for the Blind: Meet Brian Hartgen of Hartgen ConsultancyMay 20th 2021 | 8AM PT, 9AM MT, 10AM CT, 11AM ET, 3PM GMT | Hartgen Consultancy offers a wide variety of applications for the Jaws screen reader as well as for the combination of JAWS and Zoomtext known as Fusion from Freedom Scientific. In addition, Hartgen Consultancy offers unparallel tutorials on many popular programs Along with a range of training services, scripting, and products to support the JAWS screen-reader and ZoomText Fusion product from Vispero. With a portfolio of products being used by people in many countries, together with delivering individual and group training in a range of computing applications, the company also carries out JAWS programming for a wide range of corporate organizations and companies to ensure blind people stay in employment. Ease of use, efficiency and high-quality documentation is at the heart of everything they do. Brian Hartgen has worked within the Assistive Technology space for 25 years. He regularly trains people who are blind and who may also have additional disabilities to use computer technology. Brian is totally blind and is a user of JAWS. He has been a beta tester for JAWS for many years and creates script files which are part of the screen-reader used by people all around the world. | One tap mobile: +13126266799,,#,# | Direct Dial: +1 (312) 626-6799 | Meeting ID: 561 642 0005 | If the system prompts you to enter a participant code, press the pound key. Please join using the following link:
6) Zoom Webinar by World-Renowned Apple Trainer and Consultant John Panarese and Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP) Donna JodhanMay 22nd 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | Share your thoughts and suggestions as to how Apple can further enhance and improve its products to meet the requirements of blind and vision impaired persons. Share your dreams and visions as to how we can foster more collaboration with Apple. To register, please send an email to the following address no later than 12:00 Noon EST on Friday May 21st 2021:
7) American Foundation for the Blind Presents "The Power of Gratitude and Joy: A Conversation with Rebecca Alexander"May 27th 2021 | 11AM PT, 12PM MT, 1PM CT, 2PM ET, 6PM GMT | American Foundation for the Blind (AFB), in celebration of 100 years of creating a more inclusive world for people who are blind or visually impaired, has created a series of "Centennial Conversations"—curated webinars focused on the pressing issues and topics affecting people who are blind or have low vision, pairing prominent speakers with younger voices. Rebecca Alexander is an award-winning author, psychotherapist, keynote speaker, disability advocate, and extreme athlete who is almost completely blind and deaf due to Usher syndrome type III. This live event, guided by AFB's Chief Program Officer Megan Aragon is free with required registration. As with all AFB centennial events, this conversation will be accessible, with captions, American Sign Language, audio description, and transcripts made available:
8) 2021 Braille Literacy Canada SymposiumJune 4th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | Braille Literacy Canada (BLC) will be holding a virtual braille symposium. This event will be of interest to braille readers, educators, transcribers, parents and anyone else who is passionate about the empowerment that braille literacy brings. Learn more at:
9) Zoom Webinar | Florida Vision Technology | Florida Assistive Technology PresentationJune 7th 2021 | 7AM PT, 8AM MT, 9AM CT, 10AM ET, 2PM GMT | Join Florida Vision Technology for a virtual presentation of the latest and greatest in Assistive Technology including the brand new Envision Glasses and other wearables Check out our most updated catalog of products: https://floridareading.com/downloads. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar. Register in advance for this webinar:
10) National Federation of the Blind 2021 National ConventionJuly 6th 2021 through July 10th 2021 | Register for free to attend the largest gathering of blind people and take advantage of the opportunity to network with thousands of blind role models, connect with leaders in the field of blindness, attend presentations on a variety of empowering topics, and learn about the latest in technology and innovation. Learn more and register here:
11) Amazon Prime - More Than Just a Delivery Service | Technology User Group (TUG)June 12th 2021 | 7AM PT, 8AM MT, 9AM CT, 10AM ET, 2PM GMT | Many components are included in Amazon Prime, such as Prime Video, Prime Music, Prime Books, Prime Games and many more. Many of these skills can work with Alexa. There are many tips, tricks and secrets to learn to take full advantage of these services. The presentation will be virtual and may be joined by calling the number below. You do not have to RSVP for this event. The presentation will last about 90 minutes:
+1 (319) 527-4994 ☎
1) Vispero Video Magnifier SurveyClose Date: May 31st 2021 | Do you use our low vision hardware products? If so, we need your help! We want to make changes that ensure a hassle-free experience for you when using our products. Please take our three-minute survey to tell us what is most important to you. In appreciation of your feedback, you will be entered to win one of five Amazon gift cards. The grand prize is a $100 gift card, and the other four gift cards are $25 each. Take the Vispero Video Magnifier Survey today. The survey ends May 31. You must be 18 years of age or older to win the gift card. Vispero employees are not eligible to win.
2) WebAIM Screen Reader User Survey #9Close Date: June 15th 2021 | The following survey is a follow-up to previous WebAIM Screen Reader User Surveys. This survey is primarily intended to collect new information and track updates/trends from previous surveys. By completing this survey you will help inform development choices for those creating accessible web content and web standards. All screen reader users, even those who use screen readers only for evaluation and testing, are invited to participate:
3) PolyPad Braille Display Needs AssessmentClose Date: July 1st 2021 | Participants must be 18 years or older to participate and able to read braille. We hope that our research will lead to a high quality multi-lined braille display that can be used with a smartphone. Researchers will investigate the quality and usefulness of the product and use the information to improve the development of the device:
4) Paid Opportunity to Participate in a Research Study: Studying Tools to Manage and Share PicturesClose Date: July 16th 2021 | We are a group of researchers at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. We are conducting research to help blind people and people with visual impairments (BVI people) share pictures to social media free of private and sensitive information. We have designed a mobile App to let BVI users screen private and sensitive information of their about-to-share pictures using artificial intelligence (AI) and human effort. Participants must be 18 years of age or older to participate in this research study. Those who complete the study will receive a $20 compensation and $10 for exit interview. Learn more here:
1) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Listserv Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-listserv-directory.html
2) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Podcast Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-podcast-directory.html
➜ Buy, Sell or Trade
1) FOR SALE: One Braillenote Touch Plus in Excellent ConditionListing Date: 5/20/2021 | Price: $2,000.00 USD | Condition: Gently Used. | Description: One Braillenote Touch Plus in Excellent Condition. | Contact: email@example.com ✉ or (817) 293-2156 ☎ |
2) FOR SALE: One HIMS QBraille XL 40-Cell Smart DisplayListing Date: 5/20/2021 | Price: $1,600.00 USD | Condition: Gently Used. | Description: Two years old. Onboard applications such as Notepad, DAISY reader, alarm clock, calculator, calendar. Full function keys and modifier keys. Will support up to six bluetooth connections and one USB connection simultaneously. Carrying case included. | Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ or (941) 218-9090 ☎ |
3) FOR SALE: One Eye Scan Reading MachineListing Date: 4/29/2021 | Price: $900.00 USD | Condition: Gently Used. | Description: Scan text and hear it read back to you. Offers storage capability of up to 20 pages in memory. Includes: Reader with Eye-Scan software installed, Flatbed Scanner, Custom Oversized Tactile Eye-Scan Keypad and internal speakers. | Contact: email@example.com ✉ or (510) 851-3716 ☎ |
4) FOR SALE: One HIMS QBraille XL 40 Smart DisplayListing Date: 4/22/2021 | Price: $2,500.00 USD | Condition: New. | Description: A 40 cell display that has all the control keys found on PC/Mac. You can read/type in braille with the Perkins but not have to learn specific screen reader commands. USB/bluetooth, and it can take standalone notes, has a calendar etc. Reasonable offers OK. | Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ or (269) 358-8853 ☎ |
5) FOR SALE: One Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Ad (Just like this one.)Price: $5.00 USD | Description: List your new, gently-used or refurbished item in FOUR (4) consecutive issues of Top Tech Tidbits for just $5.00 USD. | Buy an Ad: Fill out this short 10-step form ✔ to secure your Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Advertisement today. | Learn more at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/buy-sell-trade.html 🌐 |
Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor Classified Ads:
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Everyone Can Have an Amazing Customer Experience with SuperNova Kiosks!
Dolphin creates customized kiosk solutions for every type of service kiosk and every level of vision loss--and that's a win for your service or brand! If you're a business owner or someone who's struggling to access a service via a kiosk, spread the word! Check out this introductory audio/video demonstration highlighting the benefits of Dolphin SuperNova Kiosks!
Sponsor Since: January 28th 2021
Website: https://yourdolphin.com/ 🌐
Phone (USA & Canada): +1 (866) 797-5921 ☎
Phone (UK, Europe & Asia): +44 01905 754577 ☎
Phone (Nordic & Baltic Contries): +46 0515 82175 ☎
Download a FREE 30-Day Trial of GuideConnect
Download a FREE 30-Day Trial of SuperNova
About: Dolphin Computer Access offers a wide array of solutions for students, people in the workforce, and at home who are blind, visually impaired or have dyslexia. Each product is purposefully designed to help users, with varying levels of technology experience, do everyday things EASILY on computers and tablets. Founded in 1986 and located in Worcester England, Dolphin has grown to become a global market leader worldwide.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Accessible Pharmacy Joins Be My Eyes
Accessible Pharmacy, the new, home delivery pharmacy with a blind founder, is bringing its full range of support and services to Be My Eyes. Users of the Be My Eyes app can now call Accessible Pharmacy directly to get support with medication, medical devices, and even home delivery COVID testing. With a fully trained and discreet pharmacy staff on call from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM Pacific, Accessible Pharmacy is the new way for blind and low vision consumers to get an easy, frictionless pharmacy experience. Call today — and you'll never have to take an Uber to the drugstore again.
Lead Contact: Will Butler, VP of Community
Sponsor Since: November 5th 2020
Website: https://www.bemyeyes.com/ 🌐
Download The App (iOS):
Download The App (Android):
About: Be My Eyes is a free mobile app that allows anyone who needs video support to get assistance from a dynamic range of volunteers and company customer support professionals from around the world. With more than 4 million volunteers and dozens of companies offering on-demand visual interpretation and support, Be My Eyes is a free, unlimited way to bridge gaps and get access to whatever information you need — 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in any language. Download the app today from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired Adaptations Online Store Featured Products
Revolution Cane Tip: Standard Roller Tip: $14.50 | Locator Dots: Small Pack of 6 (Clear or Orange): $2.00 | NFB Metal Cane Tip: $3.00 | TMAP - On Demand Tactile Street | Map (set of two maps): $25.00 | Ambutech Aluminum Folding Cane: $35.00 | NFB Chris Park Telescoping Cane: $45.00 | BoldWriter 20 Pen (Individual or 6-pack): $2.00 | Bump Dots: Mixed (50 count): $7.00 | Braille Apple Catalina VoiceOver Guide OSX 10.15 (3 volumes) - Latest Manual: $52.00 | SpeedDots iPhone Tactile Screen Protector, Phone Layout: $12.00 | NFB Chris Park 7-Piece Folding Cane: $50.00 | Visit https://adaptations.org/ to learn more today!
Sponsor Since: October 1, 2020
Website: https://adaptations.org/ 🌐
Toll Free: (888) 400-8933 ☎
Local: (415) 694-7301 ☎
About: Founded in 1902, San Francisco's LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired promotes the independence, equality and self-reliance of people who are blind or have low vision. Adaptations is your online go-to for tools, technology, and accessible solutions for blind and visually impaired people.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Build a foundational understanding of construction and electronics with BRIC: Structures® Access Kit from APH - an adapted version of an educational Elenco® product for students who are blind and visually impaired!
The BRIC: Structures® Access Kit combines ordinary building bricks with Snap Circuits® to create 26 projects, such as circuits and real-world structures, that run on electricity. Visit https://www.aph.org/product/bric-structures-access-kit/ to learn more.
Sponsor Since: July 2nd 2020
Website: https://www.aph.org/ 🌐
Toll Free and Customer Support: (800) 223-1839 ☎
Phone: (512) 895-2405 ☎
Fax: (512) 899-2284 ░
YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/WENRlCNDsxQ 🎥
Free Apps & Actions from APH: https://www.aph.org/free-apps-from-aph/ 📱
About: Since 1858, the American Printing House for the Blind has operated in Louisville, Kentucky as the world's largest nonprofit organization, creating accessible learning experiences through educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are blind and visually impaired. APH believes that the future belongs to everyone. By offering innovative products and services, APH opens up a door of opportunities for lifelong independence and success.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
GuideLights And Gadgets:
Non-Contact Infrared Talking Thermometer, and talking BP meter; Accurate, easy to use, clear voice; one cuff fits all, $50 each. New! Our tough cowhide leather on-the-go case with 5 pockets to hold your essentials, 5x7x3; wear as neck pouch or crossbody $40. New! Protect your 20 cell Braille display investment with a hollow padded book size leather folio case. It's truly unique, both for its style and function, $55. Conventions are just around the corner, with lots of specials on leather bags, electronics, and dog products. Call Barry: (617) 969-7500 ☎ or Kae: (781) 286-1696 ☎.
Sponsor Since: June 25th 2020
Website: http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/ 🌐
About: Our Scope of Products: We specialize in 3 lines of products, all intended to assist in access to adaptive electronics, enhance experiences for guide dog teams, and offer practical solutions for organization and travel with a variety of leather bags, pouches, and backpacks. Then there are the random products that are included, just for fun! We enjoy working with our customers 1-on-1 to their money is well spent and not wasted on something they may not use. In thinking about our customers and whether we will carry a product our guiding motto is that it must be: practical, affordable, simple, tested, and accessible (the pasta principle) and it seems to work very well.
What We Do: We bring our business either via zoom, phone, or to your conference or convention, to give each customer a chance for questions and where possible, "hands on" evaluation of the merchandise. Kae and I test and use each product as blind users before we put it in our catalog. In the case of products for guide and service dogs, our own three guides, Thor, Debra and Melody, are engaged in the process of evaluating the usefulness, durability, and/or fun of the product. We want each of our products to be useful, accessible, afforable, and, whenever possible, fun! Our inventory is constantly changing, so a visit to us is never the same experience twice!
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub
If you're like me, you probably have more things to plug into your computer than available ports. That's why we've now added the Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub. Plug it into your laptop and you will get 3 USB ports, SD and Micro SD card slots, a USBC charging port, and an HDMI video port. It's available now for just $29.95:
Sponsor Since: June 11th 2020
Website: https://www.atguys.com/ 🌐
Phone: (269) 216-4798 ☎
Email: email@example.com ✉
Skype: atguys ✆
Twitter: https://twitter.com/atguys (@atguys) ✍
Facebook: https://facebook.com/atguys ✍
About: ATGuys.com. Your access technology experts, home for cool gadgets, accessories, and more. Our products are all tested to work great for blind and visually impaired users but also work just as well for anyone. If there's an item you're looking for, or if you have a question, please don't hesitate to send us a message or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
May 22nd 2021: Zoom Webinar by World-Renowned Apple Trainer and Consultant John Panarese and Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP) Donna Jodhan
High profile Apple Trainer and Consultant John Panarese is teaming up with Apple Certified Support Professional Donna Jodhan to offer you a very rare and unique opportunity! Yes! An opportunity for you to say what is on your mind! Coming on May 22nd 2021! Your chance to provide feedback to Apple about their iOS devices and Mac Computers! To register please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org ✉. There are a few spaces left! To learn more about John and his incredible work visit him at:
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
Website: https://www.macfortheblind.com/ 🌐
Donate Course Time: https://donorbox.org/macfortheblind ❤
Email: email@example.com ✉
About: Macfortheblind.com is a place specifically for blind people who are either users or potential users of Macintosh computers or iOS devices, such as the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, iPod Nano, Apple Watch and Apple TV. I am a blind individual who has used the Mac ever since VoiceOver became available in OS 10.4 Tiger, and I own an iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Book Pro laptop computer, an iPhone 6S, an iPad Air, an Apple Watch and an Apple TV 4th Generation. In addition, I am an Authorized Apple Business Affiliate, and as an Apple Certified Support Professional and an Apple Certified Trainer, I offer training and technical support for individuals, agencies and organizations on the mac and all iDevices, as well as offering assistive technology consulting.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Would you like to learn to control your computer with your voice, or to create documents using your voice rather than the keyboard? There are several tools to accomplish these objectives. I can provide training in their use. Write to me if interested at:
Editor, Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
Website: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/ 🌐
About: Dean Martineau is the Founder and a Contributing Editor to the Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Training to Fit Your Needs Do you have a device you just don't understand? Do you want to advance your skills on a certain platform? Let Commtech help you out! From phones to note takers to computers and everything in between, let Commtech give you the skills you need to succeed. For more information, call (833) 345-8324 ☎ EXT 700 or visit our website:
Sponsor Since: April 22nd 2021
Website: https://commtechusa.net/ 🌐
Phone: (833) 345-8324 ☎
About: Commtech USA, a division of Commtech LLC is a Phoenix based national assistive technology company, with locations in Bakersfield CA. We deliver unmatched information technology and assistive technology consultations, training and support. Founded in 2005 as a government vendor fulfilling a vast range of technology needs of federal and state government clients, Commtech USA has expanded to meet the needs of businesses as well as individuals, with office locations across the nation. No issue is too large or too small for our staff, Commtech USA is the on call technology staff you call when you have tried the rest but need the best!
Download The App (iOS):
Download The App (Android):
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Freedom Scientific Focus Blue 5th Generation Refreshable Braille Displays
Our world-class refreshable Braille displays deliver efficient Braille input and outstanding output for your PC or mobile device. The robust Bluetooth® connectivity provides seamless use with Windows®, Mac®, iPhones®, iPads®, and AndroidTM smartphones and tablets. Ergonomic navigation features allow quick, natural hand movements for greater productivity. When used with JAWS® screen reading software, they support our popular Braille Study Mode, an interactive tool for teaching and learning Braille. Learn more today:
Sponsor Since: April 15th 2021
Website: https://www.freedomscientific.com/ 🌐
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
Phone: (800) 444-4443 ☎
About: Freedom Scientific, a Vispero brand, is a leading worldwide brand of assistive technology products for those with vision impairments. We offer products designed to promote independence, allowing blind and low vision individuals the same access to information as their sighted peers. World-renowned JAWS (Job Access With Speech) screen reading software and ZoomText screen magnification software provide users the independence and ability to seek education and obtain or maintain a career after vision loss. Our expansive product line includes both low vision and blindness technology for all aspects of daily living. The wide range of RUBY, TOPAZ, and ONYX desktop and portable video magnifiers are designed for their ease of use and assist with daily activities. Our impressive line of blindness hardware products include refreshable Braille displays and scanning and reading devices, offering many options tailored to fit individual needs.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
VisionAware Resources Including the Information and Referral Line APH ConnectCenter has resources to help blind and low vision people thrive. In addition to the Reader's Digest Getting Started with Vision Loss Guide You can also call the Information and Referral Line with your questions about resources and living with blindness and low vision.
Sponsor Since: March 4th 2021
Website: https://aphconnectcenter.org/ 🌐
Email: email@example.com ✉
APH ConnectCenter Information and Referral Line:
Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM ET
About: The APH ConnectCenter offers curated advice and resources to assist children, parents, adults, and job seekers who are blind or visually impaired, and their associated professionals, leading to greater independence and success in their lives.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
BRAILLIANT Renewed! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series is here!
The wait is over! A redefined family of Brailliant refreshable Braille displays has arrived! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series will help you stay connected, download books from many participating online libraries and share information easily with your peers. You will enjoy the intuitive, seamless user experience of KeySoft Lite, the HumanWare flagship accessibility suite designed to make you more productive. Including the Brailliant BI 40X and the Brailliant BI 20X, this is the Brailliant idea you need!
Sponsor Since: February 4th 2021
Website: http://humanware.com/ 🌐
Phone (Asia): +61 2 9686 2600 ☎
YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRWVYiggn-w 🎥
About: HumanWare is the global leader in assistive technology for people who are blind or have low vision. HumanWare offers a wide range of innovative products, including the BrailleNote Touch, first Google certified braille tablet, the iOS compatible Brailliant braille displays, Victor Reader®, the world's leading family of digital audiobook players, the unique Prodigi® family of desktop and portable vision and reading systems, and the ultra-portable explore line of electronic handheld magnifier.
Top Tech Tidbits is a leading, not-for-profit adaptive technology publication that reaches over 7,000 adaptive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts, all over the world, each week.
Top Tech Tidbits offers a total of 12 Sponsorship Packages which are used to support the ongoing distribution of the publication.
There are currently 0 of these 12 packages available.
If you would like to show your support for Tidbits by becoming a Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor we encourage you to join our waiting list by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉.
Once you have joined our waiting list we will notify you the next time a current sponsor decides not to renew. You will then be given 72 hours to secure your sponsorship before it is offered to the next sponsor on the list.
When available you can secure one of these packages for just $325.00 USD for the next 3 months, or save $100.00 USD and join us for the year. All Sponsorship Packages are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Please help us to support the ongoing distribution of this publication. Consider showing your support for the world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology while enjoying these incredible benefits. Learn more today at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html
Top Tech Tidbits Supporters:
We couldn't do it without you! Thank you for your support!
Tidbits Supporters donate an amount of their choosing on an annual basis in order to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication.
If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support.
In tandem with Our Sponsors, these are the people that make the ongoing distribution of Tidbits possible:
1.) Gary Lee
2.) Anonymous Donation
3.) Pshon Barrett
1.) Howard Goldstein
2.) David Goldstein
3.) Katherine Crohan
1.) Your name here. Help support Tidbits today.
1.) Steven Wettlaufer
2.) Shaun Everiss
Top Tech Tidbits Subscription Information:
ABOUT:Founded in 2004, Top Tech Tidbits is a leading not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 7,000 assistive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week. Sign up here. Review the archive here. Adaptive Technology refers to items that are specifically designed for people with disabilities. Adaptive Technology is a subset of Assistive Technology. Adaptive Technology often refers specifically to electronic and information technology access. Top Tech Tidbits is a Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication. Publisher: Aaron Di Blasi. Contributing Editors: John Hanlin, Jenna Lang. Top Tech Tidbits is a sponsor and reader supported publication.
RELEASE SCHEDULE:Top Tech Tidbits is released every Thursday morning at 4:00 AM ET.
SUBSCRIBE:Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive the Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to receive the Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter on the Top Tech Tidbits Website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com or by (SMS) texting "TOPTECHTIDBITS" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving the Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter. It's that easy.
SPONSOR:If you would like to become 1 of only 18 Top Tech Tidbits Sponsors whose annual support makes the distribution of Top Tech Tidbits possible, we offer you the following benefits, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
SUPPORT:If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/donate.html.
WEBSITE:Visit the Top Tech Tidbits website online at https://www.toptechtidbits.com.
FACEBOOK:Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Facebook News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/facebook.
TWITTER:Are you on Twitter? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Twitter News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/twitter.
LINKEDIN:Are you on LinkedIn? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your LinkedIn News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/linkedin.
YOUTUBE:Are you on YouTube? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your YouTube Video Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/youtube.
RSS:Do you prefer RSS? Follow Top Tech Tidbits via RSS today to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology using your choice of news aggregator: https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits.
QUESTIONS:Tidbits are intentionally concise. As a result we know that some readers may not always understand all of the items listed because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVEVisit the Top Tech Tidbits Archive at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/archive.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT CONTRIBUTORS:Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be submitted online via our Top Tech Tidbit Submission Form at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/submit-tidbit or directed to our Editors at: email@example.com.
|Home: Top Tech Tidbits||News: Top Tech Tidbits||Subscribe: Top Tech Tidbits||Donate: Top Tech Tidbits||Search: Top Tech Tidbits||Facebook: Top Tech Tidbits||Twitter: Top Tech Tidbits||LinkedIn: Top Tech Tidbits||YouTube: Top Tech Tidbits||RSS: Top Tech Tidbits||Back to Top|
Information provided by: