Home: Top Tech Tidbtits News: Top Tech Tidbtits Sign Up: Top Tech Tidbits Donate: Top Tech Tidbtits Search: Top Tech Tidbtits Facebook: Top Tech Tidbits Twitter: Top Tech Tidbits LinkedIn: Top Tech Tidbits YouTube: Top Tech Tidbits RSS: Top Tech Tidbits Back to Top
Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, May 27, 2021 - Volume 808The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication
Top Tech Tidbits. The world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology.
This Week's Featured Advertisement: One Sponsorship Package Currently Available! Join These Top Tech Tidbits Sponsors Today And Learn What Tidbits Can Do For You!
This issue made possible by sponsorship support from: Dean Martineau @ TopTechTidbits.com, John Panarese @ MacForTheBlind.com, A.T. Guys @ ATGuys.com, Barry Scheur @ GuideLightsAndGadgets.us, American Printing House @ APH.org, LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired Adaptations Online Store @ Adaptations.org, Be My Eyes @ BeMyEyes.com, Dolphin Computer Access @ YourDolphin.com, HumanWare @ HumanWare.com, APH ConnectCenter @ APHConnectCenter.org, Freedom Scientific @ FreedomScientific.com and Commtech USA @ CommtechUSA.net.
Dear Tidbits Subscriber,
1) Top 5 Most Clicked Tidbits From Last WeekA.) iOS 14.6 Release Date, Features and What We Know About So Far: (8.8% of all clicks.)
B.) Apple Previews Powerful Software Updates Designed for People with Disabilities: (6.1% of all clicks.)
C.) Microsoft Kicks Off The Rollout of Windows 10 21H1: (5.8% of all clicks.)
D.) New Features in JAWS, ZoomText, and Fusion: (4.3% of all clicks.)
E.) How To Turn On (and Off) Windows Startup Sound In Windows 10 Computers: (4.0% of all clicks.)
2) Top Tech Tidbits Says Thank You And Farewell To Sponsor John Panarese of MacForTheBlind.comPlease join all of us here at Tidbits in wishing a fine farewell to John Panarese of MacForTheBlind.com who has so very graciously supported the distribution of Top Tech Tibdits via sponsorship since we began offering them one year ago. If you look forward to Tidbits every week, it's people like John that make that possible. If you would like to join us in supporting Tidbits while enjoying some really incredible marketing benefits please reach out to our publisher today at: email@example.com ✉. Or learn more at:
3) You'll Soon be Able to Use Your Apple Watch Without Touching the ScreenCompanies like Apple and Spotify are making it easier for people with disabilities to use their products. Accessibility advocates hope more follow suit:
4) Google Phone Gains Caller ID Announcement Feature to Help You Manually Screen CallsTo help you screen unwanted calls, the Google Phone app is rolling out the Caller ID Announcement feature that will announce the name and number of any incoming calls:
5) Learn Keyboard Shortcuts for Popular Programs and Practice the Combinations with KeyCombinerKeyCombiner is a free desktop program and website that can help you learn the keyboard shortcuts for popular programs, and also practice them. Please note that you'll need to sign up for a free account before using the website or the desktop program which is available for Windows, Linux and macOS:
6) May 2021 AccessWorldThis month, we choose among "A New Day for TalkBack: Android Screen Reader Gets a Major Update," "Lookout App for Android: Google's AI Swiss Army Knife," "Streaming Audio Services Part 2: The Accessibility of Apple Music," "Untold RPG for iOS: Playability and Accessibility," and "The Power of LiDAR Comes to an iPhone Near You:"
7) 6 Command Prompt Commands You Should KnowAccording to PC World, the venerable command prompt still serves a purpose:
8) Free JAWS Training BundleHere is a downloadable version of the JAWS Basic Training folder for use on a phone or portable device:
9) Thorium Reader for Reading EPUB Files on PC, Mac and LinuxThis program is free and said to be accessible:
10) What is everybody's favorite accessible game on iOS?Maybe you'll find a new game by reading through this AppleVis discussion forum topic:
11) NVDA 2021.1 Beta 1 Available for TestingLots of changes and fixes:
12) Soundscape Beacons and Audio MarkersThis page has a recent story about navigating with SoundScape as well as older articles:
13) Fulll Description and Demo of Zoom Podtrack P4Another in a series of podcasts about this device by David Woodbridge:
14) JAWS Scripts for OutlookBrian Hartgen provides a demo (MP3):
And a transcript:
15) NVDA Remote for iOS Being DevelopedYou're encouraged to test this:
16) Accessible Writing With UlyssesA review of a powerful and accessible tool for writing in iOS:
17) FSCast #199Glenn Gordan speaks to the National Coding Symposium, and we learn about localizing JAWS for Spanish:
18) FS Open Line on ClubhouseLearn about math on braille displays with JAWS and get other questions answered on GMT Friday, 28 May at 00:00. The program willl be recorded and become the next FSCast:
19) IndentBeeper, for Coding on the MacNow you can get notifications of indentations when writing on the Mac:
20) Quick Accessibility TestsTen accessible tests anybody can perform, created for GAAD:
21) GoodMaps ExploreConsiderable enhancements to indoor navigation for this iOS app:
22) Recording: Hartgen Consultancy and Florida Outreach Center for the Blind Workshop: May 20th 2021Below is a link where you can listen to and download the Hartgen Consultancy workshop that took place over Zoom from the florida outreach center for the blind on Thursday May 20, 2021:
23) Microsoft Edge Keyboard Shortcutshttps://www.maketecheasier.com/cheatsheet/microsoft-edge-keyboard-shortcuts/
24) Voting is Now Open for the 2021 Inductees Into the AppleVis iOS App Hall of FameNow in its tenth year, our Hall of Fame is one of the ways in which the AppleVis community seeks to recognize developers of accessible iOS applications. Apps in the Hall of Fame can be liberating; empowering; life-changing; provide access to information that sighted users take for granted; or, in some cases, they can just be good fun:
25) HumanWare YouTube Video: A Deeper Look into the Use of Screen Readers with the New Brailliant BI X DisplaysIn this webinar, Andrew Flatres and Peter Tucic of HumanWare will demonstrate how to connect BI X Series Braille displays to JAWS, NVDA and VoiceOver on iOS, present a series of tips and tricks to make navigation with each screen reader easier, and discuss the benefits of using a refreshable Braille display in conjunction with, or in contrast to, a Braille note taker:
26) SuperNova with Magnification with Speech Training VideoIrie AT has recently uploaded a training video covering SuperNova with Magnification with speech. This video is over five hours long:
27) VLC Open Source Media Player Keyboard Shortcuts Cheatsheethttps://www.maketecheasier.com/cheatsheet/vlc-keyboard-shortcuts/
28) Apple Unveils New Accessibility Features Including Ggesture Controls and Eye TrackingApple has unveiled a slew of features designed to make their products more accessible for people with disabilities, ranging from one-handed gesture controls for the Apple Watch to eye-tracking support for the iPad:
➜ Press Releases and Other News
1) Braille Institute Offers 110 Free Online Spring/Summer Courses Including Laughing Yoga and Making Technology Work For YouThe Spring/Summer semester runs from May 3rd 2021 through August 13th 2021. Participants can join anytime throughout the semester:
2) Facebook's Latest AI Can Learn Speech Without Human TranscriptionsAccording to Facebook, its novel system can now unshackle the tech from its reliance upon text-to-speech input. The time consuming task involves humans listening to and transcribing hours of audio, a monotonous process that has to be repeated for each language. Whereas Facebook's "unsupervised" system learns purely from speech audio and unpaired text to give it a better sense of what human communication sounds like:
3) Alexa Trust Boss Beatrice Geoffrin Talks Accessibility At Amazon And How It Is 'Everyone's Responsibility'https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenaquino/2021/05/19/alexa-trust-boss-beatrice-geoffrin-talks-accessibility-at-amazon-and-how-it-is-everyones-responsibility/?sh=f2ada5f3c843
4) Meet the Disabled Streamers Who Are Transforming the Gaming IndustryGamers with disabilities aren't waiting for big companies to catch up: They're forming their own communities and making gameplay more accessible than ever:
5) RNIB Partners Google and The Guardian to Launch Accessible Storytelling WebsiteAuditorial, an experimental storytelling experience launched last week, aims to make the web a more inclusive place for blind and low-vision readers. R/GA's London and Sao Paulo offices were creative partners for the project, which was set up by the Royal National Institute of Blind People, The Guardian and Google:
6) Greek Students Invent Revolutionary Device to Help Blind SwimmersA wearable assistance system for swimmers with total or partial blindness was developed by a group of students, as part of the 7th Student Innovation and Entrepreneurship Competition of Junior Achievement Greece (JA Greece). The revolutionary assistance system consists of a swimming cap with glasses, and is intended to help swimmers with their orientation in a swimming pool. The device, which is located on the cap, has a set of sensors that notify the swimmer wearing it about his or her orientation in the pool, the arrival at the end of the swimming route for the turn or the finish:
7) Smart Shoes Alert Blind and Visually Impaired People of ObstaclesAustrian company Tec-Innovation has produced an intelligent shoe, dubbed "InnoMake," that warns blind and visually impaired people of obstacles in their path:
8) Cooking Without Looking TV Show Featuring Visually Impaired Cooks Conveys a Powerful Message About InclusionThe COVID-19 lockdown has seen a flood of shows on cooking all around the world but there’s one show that stands heads and shoulders above the rest. That's the iconic Cooking Without Looking TV Show, the first live TV show which shows blind and visually people cooking. It is now available as a podcast:
9) Psychonauts 2 Accessibility Options Range from Gameplay Adjustments to Colorblind ModesDouble Fine has revealed the many accessibility options that will be available for Psychonauts 2. The upcoming action-adventure game will have options ranging from gameplay choices to sound and graphics adjustments such as colorblind modes. All of these have been explained in a 30 minute accessibility feature Q&A video, which was released yesterday as part of GAAD (Global Accessibility Awareness Day):
➜ Featured Podcast Episodes
1) Blind Tech Guys 86 | ClubHouse And ClubDeck Are They Really What They Proclaim To BeMay 18th 2021 | On this episode, Marco spoke with accessibility specialist and all-round great guy Neil McCullough, who walked our listeners through how to use ClubHouse, and the developers of ClubDeck, Pierre Stanislas and Philippe Breuils:
2) That Real Blind Tech Show 34 | The Definitive Robert Klein Interview Part OneMay 23rd 2021
Brian and Ed welcome Legendary Comedian, actor, singer, and 13 time performer at Laugh For Sight Robert Klein in to the That Real Blind Tech show podcast bunker:
3) Eyes on Success 2122 | Life and Career of Larry SkutchanMay 26th 2021
Larry Skutchan has been a key contributor and driver behind many of the access technologies that are familiar names to us these days. This includes the Studio Recorder audio editing program, the Bookport Reader, the Mantis braille display, and much more. Hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey talk with Larry about his life and career now that he is newly retired:
5) Mosen At Large 125May 26th 2021 Record remote interviews from your iPhone with Backpack Live:
➜ Featured Webinars and Training Courses
1) American Foundation for the Blind Presents "The Power of Gratitude and Joy: A Conversation with Rebecca Alexander"May 27th 2021 | 11AM PT, 12PM MT, 1PM CT, 2PM ET, 6PM GMT | American Foundation for the Blind (AFB), in celebration of 100 years of creating a more inclusive world for people who are blind or visually impaired, has created a series of "Centennial Conversations"—curated webinars focused on the pressing issues and topics affecting people who are blind or have low vision, pairing prominent speakers with younger voices. Rebecca Alexander is an award-winning author, psychotherapist, keynote speaker, disability advocate, and extreme athlete who is almost completely blind and deaf due to Usher syndrome type III. This live event, guided by AFB's Chief Program Officer Megan Aragon is free with required registration. As with all AFB centennial events, this conversation will be accessible, with captions, American Sign Language, audio description, and transcripts made available:
2) 2021 Braille Literacy Canada SymposiumJune 4th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | Braille Literacy Canada (BLC) will be holding a virtual braille symposium. This event will be of interest to braille readers, educators, transcribers, parents and anyone else who is passionate about the empowerment that braille literacy brings. Learn more at:
3) Zoom Webinar | Florida Vision Technology | Florida Assistive Technology PresentationJune 7th 2021 | 7AM PT, 8AM MT, 9AM CT, 10AM ET, 2PM GMT | Join Florida Vision Technology for a virtual presentation of the latest and greatest in Assistive Technology including the brand new Envision Glasses and other wearables Check out our most updated catalog of products: https://floridareading.com/downloads. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar. Register in advance for this webinar:
4) National Federation of the Blind 2021 National ConventionJuly 6th 2021 through July 10th 2021 | Register for free to attend the largest gathering of blind people and take advantage of the opportunity to network with thousands of blind role models, connect with leaders in the field of blindness, attend presentations on a variety of empowering topics, and learn about the latest in technology and innovation. Learn more and register here:
5) Amazon Prime - More Than Just a Delivery Service | Technology User Group (TUG)June 12th 2021 | 7AM PT, 8AM MT, 9AM CT, 10AM ET, 2PM GMT | Many components are included in Amazon Prime, such as Prime Video, Prime Music, Prime Books, Prime Games and many more. Many of these skills can work with Alexa. There are many tips, tricks and secrets to learn to take full advantage of these services. The presentation will be virtual and may be joined by calling the number below. You do not have to RSVP for this event. The presentation will last about 90 minutes:
+1 (319) 527-4994 ☎
1) Vispero Video Magnifier SurveyClose Date: May 31st 2021 | Do you use our low vision hardware products? If so, we need your help! We want to make changes that ensure a hassle-free experience for you when using our products. Please take our three-minute survey to tell us what is most important to you. In appreciation of your feedback, you will be entered to win one of five Amazon gift cards. The grand prize is a $100 gift card, and the other four gift cards are $25 each. Take the Vispero Video Magnifier Survey today. The survey ends May 31. You must be 18 years of age or older to win the gift card. Vispero employees are not eligible to win.
2) WebAIM Screen Reader User Survey #9Close Date: June 15th 2021 | The following survey is a follow-up to previous WebAIM Screen Reader User Surveys. This survey is primarily intended to collect new information and track updates/trends from previous surveys. By completing this survey you will help inform development choices for those creating accessible web content and web standards. All screen reader users, even those who use screen readers only for evaluation and testing, are invited to participate:
3) NVDA Satisfaction Survey 2021Close Date: June 25th 2021 | NV Access are pleased to invite you to participate in the NVDA Satisfaction Survey 2021. As in previous years, this is a simple, three-question survey, open to NVDA users and testers around the world:
4) PolyPad Braille Display Needs AssessmentClose Date: July 1st 2021 | Participants must be 18 years or older to participate and able to read braille. We hope that our research will lead to a high quality multi-lined braille display that can be used with a smartphone. Researchers will investigate the quality and usefulness of the product and use the information to improve the development of the device:
5) Paid Opportunity to Participate in a Research Study: Studying Tools to Manage and Share PicturesClose Date: July 16th 2021 | We are a group of researchers at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. We are conducting research to help blind people and people with visual impairments (BVI people) share pictures to social media free of private and sensitive information. We have designed a mobile App to let BVI users screen private and sensitive information of their about-to-share pictures using artificial intelligence (AI) and human effort. Participants must be 18 years of age or older to participate in this research study. Those who complete the study will receive a $20 compensation and $10 for exit interview. Learn more here:
1) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Listserv Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-listserv-directory.html
2) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Podcast Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-podcast-directory.html
➜ Buy, Sell or Trade
1) FOR SALE: One Braillenote Touch Plus in Excellent ConditionListing Date: 5/20/2021 | Price: $2,000.00 USD | Condition: Gently Used. | Description: One Braillenote Touch Plus in Excellent Condition. | Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ or (817) 293-2156 ☎ |
2) FOR SALE: One HIMS QBraille XL 40-Cell Smart DisplayListing Date: 5/20/2021 | Price: $1,600.00 USD | Condition: Gently Used. | Description: Two years old. Onboard applications such as Notepad, DAISY reader, alarm clock, calculator, calendar. Full function keys and modifier keys. Will support up to six bluetooth connections and one USB connection simultaneously. Carrying case included. | Contact: email@example.com ✉ or (941) 218-9090 ☎ |
3) FOR SALE: One Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Ad (Just like this one.)Price: $5.00 USD | Description: List your new, gently-used or refurbished item in FOUR (4) consecutive issues of Top Tech Tidbits for just $5.00 USD. | Buy an Ad: Fill out this short 10-step form ✔ to secure your Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Advertisement today. | Learn more at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/buy-sell-trade.html 🌐 |
Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor Classified Ads:
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
BRAILLIANT Renewed! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series is here!
The wait is over! A redefined family of Brailliant refreshable Braille displays has arrived! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series will help you stay connected, download books from many participating online libraries and share information easily with your peers. You will enjoy the intuitive, seamless user experience of KeySoft Lite, the HumanWare flagship accessibility suite designed to make you more productive. Including the Brailliant BI 40X and the Brailliant BI 20X, this is the Brailliant idea you need!
Sponsor Since: February 4th 2021
Website: http://humanware.com/ 🌐
Phone (Asia): +61 2 9686 2600 ☎
YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRWVYiggn-w 🎥
About: HumanWare is the global leader in assistive technology for people who are blind or have low vision. HumanWare offers a wide range of innovative products, including the BrailleNote Touch, first Google certified braille tablet, the iOS compatible Brailliant braille displays, Victor Reader®, the world's leading family of digital audiobook players, the unique Prodigi® family of desktop and portable vision and reading systems, and the ultra-portable explore line of electronic handheld magnifier.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Everyone Can Have an Amazing Customer Experience with SuperNova Kiosks!
Dolphin creates customized kiosk solutions for every type of service kiosk and every level of vision loss--and that's a win for your service or brand! If you're a business owner or someone who's struggling to access a service via a kiosk, spread the word! Check out this introductory audio/video demonstration highlighting the benefits of Dolphin SuperNova Kiosks!
Sponsor Since: January 28th 2021
Website: https://yourdolphin.com/ 🌐
Phone (USA & Canada): +1 (866) 797-5921 ☎
Phone (UK, Europe & Asia): +44 01905 754577 ☎
Phone (Nordic & Baltic Contries): +46 0515 82175 ☎
Download a FREE 30-Day Trial of GuideConnect
Download a FREE 30-Day Trial of SuperNova
About: Dolphin Computer Access offers a wide array of solutions for students, people in the workforce, and at home who are blind, visually impaired or have dyslexia. Each product is purposefully designed to help users, with varying levels of technology experience, do everyday things EASILY on computers and tablets. Founded in 1986 and located in Worcester England, Dolphin has grown to become a global market leader worldwide.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Accessible Pharmacy Joins Be My Eyes
Accessible Pharmacy, the new, home delivery pharmacy with a blind founder, is bringing its full range of support and services to Be My Eyes. Users of the Be My Eyes app can now call Accessible Pharmacy directly to get support with medication, medical devices, and even home delivery COVID testing. With a fully trained and discreet pharmacy staff on call from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM Pacific, Accessible Pharmacy is the new way for blind and low vision consumers to get an easy, frictionless pharmacy experience. Call today — and you'll never have to take an Uber to the drugstore again.
Lead Contact: Will Butler, VP of Community
Sponsor Since: November 5th 2020
Website: https://www.bemyeyes.com/ 🌐
Download The App (iOS):
Download The App (Android):
About: Be My Eyes is a free mobile app that allows anyone who needs video support to get assistance from a dynamic range of volunteers and company customer support professionals from around the world. With more than 4 million volunteers and dozens of companies offering on-demand visual interpretation and support, Be My Eyes is a free, unlimited way to bridge gaps and get access to whatever information you need — 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in any language. Download the app today from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired Adaptations Online Store Featured Products
Revolution Cane Tip: Standard Roller Tip: $14.50 | Locator Dots: Small Pack of 6 (Clear or Orange): $2.00 | NFB Metal Cane Tip: $3.00 | TMAP - On Demand Tactile Street | Map (set of two maps): $25.00 | Ambutech Aluminum Folding Cane: $35.00 | NFB Chris Park Telescoping Cane: $45.00 | BoldWriter 20 Pen (Individual or 6-pack): $2.00 | Bump Dots: Mixed (50 count): $7.00 | Braille Apple Catalina VoiceOver Guide OSX 10.15 (3 volumes) - Latest Manual: $52.00 | SpeedDots iPhone Tactile Screen Protector, Phone Layout: $12.00 | NFB Chris Park 7-Piece Folding Cane: $50.00 | Visit https://adaptations.org/ to learn more today!
Sponsor Since: October 1, 2020
Website: https://adaptations.org/ 🌐
Toll Free: (888) 400-8933 ☎
Local: (415) 694-7301 ☎
About: Founded in 1902, San Francisco's LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired promotes the independence, equality and self-reliance of people who are blind or have low vision. Adaptations is your online go-to for tools, technology, and accessible solutions for blind and visually impaired people.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Build a foundational understanding of construction and electronics with BRIC: Structures® Access Kit from APH - an adapted version of an educational Elenco® product for students who are blind and visually impaired!
The BRIC: Structures® Access Kit combines ordinary building bricks with Snap Circuits® to create 26 projects, such as circuits and real-world structures, that run on electricity. Visit https://www.aph.org/product/bric-structures-access-kit/ to learn more.
Sponsor Since: July 2nd 2020
Website: https://www.aph.org/ 🌐
Toll Free and Customer Support: (800) 223-1839 ☎
Phone: (512) 895-2405 ☎
Fax: (512) 899-2284 ░
YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/WENRlCNDsxQ 🎥
Free Apps & Actions from APH: https://www.aph.org/free-apps-from-aph/ 📱
About: Since 1858, the American Printing House for the Blind has operated in Louisville, Kentucky as the world's largest nonprofit organization, creating accessible learning experiences through educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are blind and visually impaired. APH believes that the future belongs to everyone. By offering innovative products and services, APH opens up a door of opportunities for lifelong independence and success.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
GuideLights and Gadgets Invites You to Listen, Learn and Buy from our Selection of Leather, Gadgets, and Dog Products
We have a new hands free 5 pocket rugged cowhide leather neck pouch that will fit any phone. It can go on your belt or carry it crossbody; $40.00. We have a unique leather case to protect your 20 cell Braille display. It feels like a thick book with a zipper down the middle. It's actually a concealed weapons case with carrying straps; no Braille display has ever been more secure. Call Barry: (617) 969-7500 ☎ or Kae: (781) 286-1696 ☎.
Sponsor Since: June 25th 2020
Website: http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/ 🌐
About: Our Scope of Products: We specialize in 3 lines of products, all intended to assist in access to adaptive electronics, enhance experiences for guide dog teams, and offer practical solutions for organization and travel with a variety of leather bags, pouches, and backpacks. Then there are the random products that are included, just for fun! We enjoy working with our customers 1-on-1 to their money is well spent and not wasted on something they may not use. In thinking about our customers and whether we will carry a product our guiding motto is that it must be: practical, affordable, simple, tested, and accessible (the pasta principle) and it seems to work very well.
What We Do: We bring our business either via zoom, phone, or to your conference or convention, to give each customer a chance for questions and where possible, "hands on" evaluation of the merchandise. Kae and I test and use each product as blind users before we put it in our catalog. In the case of products for guide and service dogs, our own three guides, Thor, Debra and Melody, are engaged in the process of evaluating the usefulness, durability, and/or fun of the product. We want each of our products to be useful, accessible, afforable, and, whenever possible, fun! Our inventory is constantly changing, so a visit to us is never the same experience twice!
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Plugable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub
If you're like me, you probably have more things to plug into your computer than available ports. That's why we've now added the Plugable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub. Plug it into your laptop and you will get 3 USB ports, SD and Micro SD card slots, a USBC charging port, and an HDMI video port. It's available now for just $29.95:
Sponsor Since: June 11th 2020
Website: https://www.atguys.com/ 🌐
Phone: (269) 216-4798 ☎
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
Skype: atguys ✆
Twitter: https://twitter.com/atguys (@atguys) ✍
Facebook: https://facebook.com/atguys ✍
About: ATGuys.com. Your access technology experts, home for cool gadgets, accessories, and more. Our products are all tested to work great for blind and visually impaired users but also work just as well for anyone. If there's an item you're looking for, or if you have a question, please don't hesitate to send us a message or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
May 22nd 2021: Zoom Webinar by World-Renowned Apple Trainer and Consultant John Panarese and Apple Certified Support Professional (ACSP) Donna Jodhan
High profile Apple Trainer and Consultant John Panarese is teaming up with Apple Certified Support Professional Donna Jodhan to offer you a very rare and unique opportunity! Yes! An opportunity for you to say what is on your mind! Coming on May 22nd 2021! Your chance to provide feedback to Apple about their iOS devices and Mac Computers! To register please send an email to email@example.com ✉. There are a few spaces left! To learn more about John and his incredible work visit him at:
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
Website: https://www.macfortheblind.com/ 🌐
Donate Course Time: https://donorbox.org/macfortheblind ❤
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
About: Macfortheblind.com is a place specifically for blind people who are either users or potential users of Macintosh computers or iOS devices, such as the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, iPod Nano, Apple Watch and Apple TV. I am a blind individual who has used the Mac ever since VoiceOver became available in OS 10.4 Tiger, and I own an iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Book Pro laptop computer, an iPhone 6S, an iPad Air, an Apple Watch and an Apple TV 4th Generation. In addition, I am an Authorized Apple Business Affiliate, and as an Apple Certified Support Professional and an Apple Certified Trainer, I offer training and technical support for individuals, agencies and organizations on the mac and all iDevices, as well as offering assistive technology consulting.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Would you like to learn to control your computer with your voice, or to create documents using your voice rather than the keyboard? There are several tools to accomplish these objectives. I can provide training in their use. Write to me if interested at:
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
Website: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/ 🌐
About: Dean Martineau is the Founder and a Contributing Editor to the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Training to Fit Your Needs Do you have a device you just don't understand? Do you want to advance your skills on a certain platform? Let Commtech help you out! From phones to note takers to computers and everything in between, let Commtech give you the skills you need to succeed. For more information, call (833) 345-8324 ☎ EXT 700 or visit our website:
Sponsor Since: April 22nd 2021
Website: https://commtechusa.net/ 🌐
Phone: (833) 345-8324 ☎
About: Commtech USA, a division of Commtech LLC is a Phoenix based national assistive technology company, with locations in Bakersfield CA. We deliver unmatched information technology and assistive technology consultations, training and support. Founded in 2005 as a government vendor fulfilling a vast range of technology needs of federal and state government clients, Commtech USA has expanded to meet the needs of businesses as well as individuals, with office locations across the nation. No issue is too large or too small for our staff, Commtech USA is the on call technology staff you call when you have tried the rest but need the best!
Download The App (iOS):
Download The App (Android):
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Freedom Scientific Focus Blue 5th Generation Refreshable Braille Displays
Our world-class refreshable Braille displays deliver efficient Braille input and outstanding output for your PC or mobile device. The robust Bluetooth® connectivity provides seamless use with Windows®, Mac®, iPhones®, iPads®, and AndroidTM smartphones and tablets. Ergonomic navigation features allow quick, natural hand movements for greater productivity. When used with JAWS® screen reading software, they support our popular Braille Study Mode, an interactive tool for teaching and learning Braille. Learn more today:
Sponsor Since: April 15th 2021
Website: https://www.freedomscientific.com/ 🌐
Email: email@example.com ✉
Phone: (800) 444-4443 ☎
About: Freedom Scientific, a Vispero brand, is a leading worldwide brand of assistive technology products for those with vision impairments. We offer products designed to promote independence, allowing blind and low vision individuals the same access to information as their sighted peers. World-renowned JAWS (Job Access With Speech) screen reading software and ZoomText screen magnification software provide users the independence and ability to seek education and obtain or maintain a career after vision loss. Our expansive product line includes both low vision and blindness technology for all aspects of daily living. The wide range of RUBY, TOPAZ, and ONYX desktop and portable video magnifiers are designed for their ease of use and assist with daily activities. Our impressive line of blindness hardware products include refreshable Braille displays and scanning and reading devices, offering many options tailored to fit individual needs.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
VisionAware Resources: Low Vision Exam. What is it? Who Needs it? What Comes Next?
Join Dr. Alexis G. Malkin of the New England College of Optometry and David Bradburn of HumanWare on June 15th 2021 at 12:30 PM ET for an overview of assistive technology and services that help people with low vision perform everyday tasks. Presenters will illustrate the needs, available services, and funding for 3 different groups: a low vision student, a professional working remotely, and a patient with multiple disabilities. Different funding options will be discussed including federal funding for students in K-12 education at:
Sponsor Since: March 4th 2021
Website: https://aphconnectcenter.org/ 🌐
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
APH ConnectCenter Information and Referral Line:
Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM ET
About: The APH ConnectCenter offers curated advice and resources to assist children, parents, adults, and job seekers who are blind or visually impaired, and their associated professionals, leading to greater independence and success in their lives.
Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday is a leading, not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 6,500 Adaptive Technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week.
Top Tech Tidbits offers a total of 12 Sponsorship Packages which are used to support the ongoing distribution of the publication.
There are currently 1 of 12 packages available.
If you would like to become a Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor, but there are no sponsorship packages currently available, we encourage you to join our waiting list by sending an email to: email@example.com ✉.
Once you have joined our waiting list we will notify you the next time a current sponsor decides not to renew. You will then have 72 hours to secure your sponsorship before it is offered to the next sponsor on the list.
When available you can secure one of these packages for just $325.00 USD for the next 3 months, or save $100.00 USD and join us for the year. All Sponsorship Packages are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Please help us to support the ongoing distribution of this publication. Consider showing your support for the world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology while enjoying these incredible benefits. Learn more today at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
Top Tech Tidbits Supporters:
We couldn't do it without you! Thank for your support!
Tidbits Supporters donate an amount of their choosing on an annual basis in order to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication.
If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support.
In tandem with Our Sponsors, these are the people that make the ongoing distribution of Tidbits possible:
1.) Gary Lee
2.) Anonymous Donation
3.) Pshon Barrett
1.) Howard Goldstein
2.) David Goldstein
3.) Katherine Crohan
1.) Your name here. Help support Tidbits today.
1.) Steven Wettlaufer
2.) Shaun Everiss
Top Tech Tidbits Subscription Information:
ABOUT:Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday is a leading not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches 6,500+ Adaptive Technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week. Sign up here. Review the archive here. Adaptive Technology refers to items that are specifically designed for people with disabilities. Adaptive Technology is a subset of Assistive Technology. Adaptive Technology often refers specifically to electronic and information technology access. The Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter is a Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication. Publisher: Aaron Di Blasi. Contributing Editors: Dean Martineau, Jenna Lang, John Hanlin. Top Tech Tidbits is a sponsor and reader supported publication.
RELEASE SCHEDULE:The Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter is sent out every Thursday morning at 4:00 AM EST.
SUBSCRIBE:Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter on the Top Tech Tidbits Website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com or by (SMS) texting "TOPTECHTIDBITS" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter. It's that easy.
SPONSOR:If you would like to become 1 of only 12 Tidbits Sponsors whose annual support makes the distribution of Top Tech Tidbits possible, we offer you the following benefits, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
SUPPORT:If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/donate.html.
WEBSITE:Visit the Top Tech Tidbits website online at https://www.toptechtidbits.com.
FACEBOOK:Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Facebook News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/facebook.
TWITTER:Are you on Twitter? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Twitter News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/twitter.
LINKEDIN:Are you on LinkedIn? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your LinkedIn News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/linkedin.
YOUTUBE:Are you on YouTube? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your YouTube Video Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/youtube.
RSS:Do you prefer RSS? Follow Top Tech Tidbits via RSS today to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology using your choice of news aggregator: https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits.
QUESTIONS:Tidbits are intentionally concise. As a result we know that some readers may not always understand all of the items listed because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVEVisit the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter Archive at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/archive.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT CONTRIBUTORS:Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be directed to our Editors at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information provided by: