Home: Top Tech Tidbtits News: Top Tech Tidbtits Sign Up: Top Tech Tidbits Donate: Top Tech Tidbtits Search: Top Tech Tidbtits Facebook: Top Tech Tidbits Twitter: Top Tech Tidbits LinkedIn: Top Tech Tidbits YouTube: Top Tech Tidbits RSS: Top Tech Tidbits Back to Top
Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, June 10, 2021 - Volume 810
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication
Top Tech Tidbits. The world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology.
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Get Your Orbit Readers and More Hot Tech from the A. T. Guys - Coupon Enclosed
A. T. Guys is celebrating Summer with some of the hottest tech of the year. We are pleased to feature the Orbit Reader 40 and 20 Plus, modern, affordable braille displays with crisp, signage-quality braille and on-board translation. We are expecting our next batch of units later this month and have a few spots open for your order. Make this the Summer of braille with A. T. Guys. Plus there's even more braille as the 9-line, 360-cell Canute braille eReader is back in stock. Get ready to start traveling again with our folding Bluetooth keyboard or our travel wall charger, or our ever-expanding line of Bluetooth headsets to wear on the go. Check out our loudest Bluetooth speaker yet, the 40-watt Stormbox Pro, or pair two of them together to make your party twice as nice. Plus, use coupon "tidbits21" to get free shipping on orders of $79 or more through June 20th 2021 for U.S. customers. Visit http://www.atguys.com/ or call (269) 216-4798 ☎. Or Email firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ with questions, and happy Summer.
Dear Tidbits Subscriber,
1) Top 5 Most Clicked Tidbits From Last WeekA.) The Best Speech to Text Software for Windows 10: (6.9% of all clicks.)
B.) Will Blind People Be Able to See Again in the Future Thanks to a Brain Implant?: (6.7% of all clicks.)
C.) Mantis and Chameleon Software Improvements New Features as of May 2021: (6.4% of all clicks.)
D.) Writing with a Screen Reader: (5.8% of all clicks.)
E.) How to Listen to Radio Stations Online for Free: (5.7% of all clicks.)
2) Improved Tidbits Header Level Navigation Based on Feedback From Top Tech Tidbits SupporterBased on feedback provided by one of our very own Top Tech Tidbits Supporters this issue of Tidbits changes the manner in which level headings are used. Prior to this Issue Tidbits newsletter sections held the same heading level (H3) as the information that they contained, making navigating between sections difficult without also navigating between the items within them. As of this Issue all newsletter sections remain at header level 3, however, all subsequent items within these sections have been moved to header level 4, thereby allowing for faster and more efficient navigation between sections. Newsletter sections currently include: Greeting (which represents the beginning of Tidbits), Press Releases and Other News, Featured Podcast Episodes, Featured Webinars and Training Courses, Surveys, Directories, and Buy, Sell or Trade. If you too have ideas for improving Tidbits, please feel free to share them with us. We welcome and value all manner of feedback. Sincerest thanks to this Tidbits Supporter for not just making Tidbits possible, but for making it better for everyone.
3) ZoomText Tip: Give ZoomText Magnifier / Reader A Voice That You LikeCourtesy of Freedom Scientific:
4) David Goldfield's 1st Annual 2021 Tech-VI Listserv Subscriber SurveyTop Tech Tidbits picks up news items from this Listserv weekly. It is an incredibly informative resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology. We salute David Goldfield both for the quality and the consistency of the news that he provides. If you aren't already subscribed to his list we highly recommend it. If you are already subscribed, David is asking for your feedback in this 1st Annual 2021 Tech-VI Listserv Subscriber Survey:
5) Get into Python | Quality Tool For Learning PythonThis very well-written tool from JobTensor allows you to run real-time Python code right in your web browser as you study. The tool is designed for anyone who wants to learn the Python programming language, whether your are a beginner, or already a Pro. In addition to being free the tool contains no advertising or affiliate links:
6) JAWS Tip: Virtualize Current ControlCourtesy of Freedom Scientific:
7) Attention Tidbits Content Contributors and Sponsors | How To Track Your Links in TidbitsPerhaps one of the questions that we get asked the most here at Tidbits is, "can you tell me how many clicks my link(s) got?" Unfortunately we cannot. But that's okay. Because you wouldn't want us to anyway. Why? Because you would have no way to independently verify the information that we gave you. So we could, literally, be telling you anything. And that goes for anyone else providing you with metrics that you cannot independently verify. Okay you say. So how do I independently verify my own link traffic? There are many ways, but perhaps the easiest way, and therefore the way that we recommend the most to non-clients here at Mind Vault Solutions is to simply setup a free Bit.ly account. Bit.ly is a free online link shortening service. It takes any link that you provide it and turns it into a shortened one. In addition to shortening the link, which is generally useful for posting to networks like Twitter where every character counts, you will now also be able to independently verify all of the traffic received by that link. No matter where it goes. Forever. Just by logging into your Bit.ly account. All you have to do now is make sure you never use the unshortened version again and all of your link traffic will always be true, accurate and independently verified. No matter where you share the link. While Top Tech Tidbits currently reaches 6,718 direct subscribers, all over the world, each week, each issue is also shared across a variety of other networks as well, thereby amplifying the reach of all links contained within each issue. You can sign up for a free Bit.ly account here:
8) What Is Amazon Sidewalk and How Do You Disable It?Compatible devices have been automatically enrolled in the new Amazon Sidewalk feature, which means you have to manually opt out if you don't want to participate. Learn more about Sidewalk from PC Mag using the link below. If you decide that you want to disable it you can do so from within the Alexa App under More / Settings / Account Settings / Amazon Sidewalk / On or Off:
9) Microsoft To Unveil 'The Next Generation of Windows' on June 24th 2021Microsoft has announced an event taking place on June 24th 2021 where it will unveil the next generation of Windows. The event will be online and will begin at 11:00 AM ET. The company is expected to unveil a new user interface and feature set for Windows, and possibly position this new version of Windows as, yeahp, you guessed it, "Windows 11:"
10) NVDA 2021.1 Beta2 Available for TestingBeta2 of NVDA 2021.1 is now available for download and testing. For anyone who is interested in trying out what the next version of NVDA has to offer before it is officially released, we welcome you to download the beta and provide feedback:
11) NVDA 2021.1 and Community Add-Ons: Status Page AvailableNVDA 2021.1 is currently available as a beta version. Third-party NVDA add-ons will need to be updated in order to maintain compatibility with this upcoming release. The following information is regarding the status of these add-ons. If you do not use add-ons then this information will not affect how you use NVDA. Many of you are wondering about whether or not your favorite NVDA add-ons will be ready for NVDA 2021.1. To answer this question, the add-ons community has prepared a status page listing add-ons hosted on community add-ons website and their NVDA 2021.1 compatibility status. If the add-on you have a question about is not part of the community add-ons page, but is maintained by a third-party, whether that's a company or individual, please direct questions regarding compatibility of these add-ons with NVDA 2021.1 to their respective maintainers. They are the only sources who can give you accurate information about their update/maintenance plans for these add-ons. Note that things can change without notice, and the page does not include newly added add-ons. Add-ons added to the community add-ons website in recent days will be included in the status page soon:
12) AppleVis on WWDCThere is a lot of excitement about the new features coming to iOS and the related operating systems in the fall. Here's an AppleVis blog post summarizing the keynote where they were announced:
And here's an AppleVis podcast about all this:
13) WWDC21 BreakdownTrying to highlight sources we cite less often, here's the perspective from the RNIB Tech Talk podcast:
14) Parallel #52 on WWDCParallel describes itself as "A tech podcast with accessibility sprinkles."
15) Podcast Transcript: Mosen At Large Episode 129, The WWDC Keynote from a Blindness PerspectiveTo end our coverage of WWDC recaps, Jonathan always puts together a thoughtful take on these Apple events, and this version is for those of us who prefer reading over listening, or who don't have a choice in the matter:
16) VSCode is Now Very AccessibleVisual Studio has become a useful product for blind developers:
17) Alexa Series from HadleyThere are six "workshops" about using the Echo devices:
18) Graphing Calculator in Prodigi 4.5A HumanWare YouTube video:
19) Review of Smartphone Apps and Resources for People with Vision Loss or ImpairmentThis is a review of an extensive online article, the link to which is found in the review:
20) iPhone101: Lists, Lists and More ListsThis podcast covers how to efficiently move in and out of long lists of messages:
21) Microsoft Outlook for iOS Now Lets You Use Your Voice to Write Emails and MoreWe try to keep up with all voice input options:
22) Bring Accessibility to Charts in Your AppIn iOS15, the content of charts can be communicated even more effectively:
23) Tips for Power Users on the MacThis author contends that he can do more with his Mac than Windows users with JAWS and NVDA:
24) All of David Woodbridge's Zoom Podtrack P4 Demos in one Podcast (MP3)Two hours of material, indexed by chapter for easy navigation:
25) New Features Added to ProdigiTM SoftwareMultiple new features have been added to the Prodigi software (version 4.5) for use with the Connect 12 and Reveal 16i:
26) Best Windows Laptops with Full Number Pads 2021Whether it's for data entry, accounting, or just entering numbers and calculations with precision and speed, there are plenty of reasons to have a number pad on a laptop. Even though laptops are getting smaller, you can still purchase several excellent laptops with full number pads. Every one of these devices has a full number pad, and each is one of the best Windows laptop picks in the category:
27) All the Top Features Coming to Your iPhone This FallApple just previewed iOS 15, the latest version of its mobile operating system. Here's what's new:
➜ Press Releases and Other News
1) Coding Color Into Sound: Hacking for Assistive TechnologyHave you ever thought about what a bird sounds like? You're probably assuming I'm referring to a bird's audible song, but what if I told you there was more than one way to 'hear' an object? What if it was possible to hear things that don't physically produce a sound — like a sunset, or the night sky? It sounds a bit unconventional, but this type of outside-of-the-box thinking is exactly the kind of 'hacking' that Lenovo employees are up to these days:
2) Echolocation: People Trained to Hear Like Bats in a Study That Could Help Those With Vision LossIt might be more commonly associated with dolphins and bats, but nature's own sonar system could be harnessed by blind people too:
3) Why Getting More People with Disabilities Developing Technology is Good For EveryoneIt's not just a matter of fairness and inclusion. Accessible technology is generally better for everyone. An app or website that causes problems for a screen reader is likely to be more difficult than an accessible app or website for anyone to use because it will take more time or effort:
4) How an Adaptive Game Controller Helps My Family BondMultiplayer gaming was something we thought my son would never be able to do, but a special Xbox controller changed everything:
5) Accessible Technology Is Better When It's Built By Those Who Rely On Ithttps://thenextweb.com/news/accessible-technology-better-when-built-those-who-rely-on-it-syndication
6) Untold RPG for iOS: Playability and AccessibilityUntold RPG is a role-playing game made playable on iOS for those who use Apple's VoiceOver screen reader. Unlike games that are self-voicing, this game takes advantage of VoiceOver itself. In this article, we will take a look at some reasons why this game is great for blind players who may wish to enjoy the same gaming experience as their sighted counterparts:
7) A Tool for Visually Impaired Kids: Safe Toddles Provides Belt CanesA North Carolina family is blazing a new trail for visually impaired children in the state:
8) These Disabled Streamers & Advocates are Helping to Tackle Accessibility Issues in GamingVideo games are enjoyed by billions of people around the world, disabled and non-disabled. For people with disabilities playing video games is fun and rewarding and a great opportunity to connect with a larger community. Over the decades many big companies out there are prioritising accessible gaming and they are turning to disabled streamers and gamers for insights into accessibility in gaming:
9) Are Your Organization and Its Board "Access Able"?Charity to people with disabilities goes back to Biblical times, but philanthropy involving meaningful input from those served is a recent phenomenon. The demand for "nothing about us without us" is core to the ethos of the disability rights movement. Major civil rights legislation for the one-in-five of us with disabilities — the Americans with Disabilities Act — is only 30 years old. When thinking about accessibility, we're starting to consider more than ramps and bathrooms, like information access and attitudes like who should be at the board table:
➜ Featured Podcast Episodes
1) 13 Letters | Cognitive DissidentsJune 3rd 2021
Shell Little actually studied accessibility in college — making her a rare example of someone who didn't "stumble" into accessibility but hit the job market knowing exactly what she wanted to do. Still, she didn't know that she, herself, was part of the demographic that benefitted from inclusive design. Now an inclusive design lead on Wells Fargo's Accessible User Experience team and accomplished speaker in her own right, Shell shares her journey, talks about what a "Cognitive disability" can really mean, and even explains the surprising connection between accessibility and cosmetology:
2) Blind Android Users 26 | It's All About Low-vision, CSR, Uno Barcode Reader and Much MoreJune 5th 2021 | In this episode we discuss apps and technology for low vision and its improvements for Android and Windows. We chat with the developer of the Uno Barcode scanner app. He talks about his app and developing for Android as a totally visually impaired person. His app is not released on the Play Store as of now, but for the link to download the APK and give him feedback please read the show notes. And finally, we demo the Uno Barcode scanner app. To listen to this and all previous episodes, visit:
3) Say My Meme | Musical TheatreJune 7th 2021
Matthew Shifrin is the host of the new Radiotopia Presents podcast Blind Guy Travels — and he's also somewhat of a "meme skeptic." Blind since birth, Matthew hasn't engaged much with the visual culture of memes. So in our never-ending crusade to bring memes to the people who have the least access, we attempted to turn Matthew into a meme enthusiast by tapping into one of this favorite subjects: musical theatre:
4) Be My Eyes Podcast | Do Blind People Use Body Language?June 8th 2021
This week on the podcast, we're collaborating with Radiotopia and PRX to share the first episode of the new podcast, Blind Guy Travels. Follow along with host Matthew Shifrin as he shares his perspective on everything from LEGOs to online dating. In this first episode: Matthew explains how he studied the art of body language to become a better communicator:
5) Blind Tech Guys | WWDC Event Wrap-UpJune 8th 2021 | On this bonus episode of the pod, Marco and Kirt wrap up the goings on at this year's Apple WWDC conference. Many announcements were made, but was it all just a whole lot of hot air?:
6) Eyes on Success 2124 | White Cane and Guide Dog Mobility DifferencesJune 9th 2021
Is a guide dog for you or would you prefer to navigate using a white cane? What are the trade-offs? If I decide to get a dog, what is the process? Hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey talk with Jake Koch, Community Outreach Specialist at Guide Dogs for the Blind about the answers to these questions and the services offered by Guide Dogs for the Blind:
7) That Real Blind Tech Show 37 | Release The GeekJune 9th 2021
Allison and Brian are joined by Jeanine Stanley pinch hitting for Ed. Hold on to your shoelaces as the gang is going to discuss all the announcements coming out of Cupertino and how we feel they will effect accessibility:
8) Mosen At Large 130June 9th 2021 You're invited to participate in the Sonaar research project to improve the quality of image descriptions on the web:
➜ Featured Webinars and Training Courses
1) Multiply Your Math Success Exponentially With The MATT ConnectJune 10th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | This webinar organized by the American Printing House. With MATT Connect, it all adds up! Learn how to use the device to study math from addition and subtraction through higher-level problem-solving. In this webinar, you will also learn how to set up exam mode, which allows a teacher to customize permissions and features offered on the MATT Connect in testing situations. Register here:
2) Desktop Accessibility Through Eye Tracking by Network of Assistive TechnologistsJunhe 11th 2021 | 10:30AM PT, 11:30AM MT, 12:30PM CT, 1:30PM ET, 5:30PM GMT | This training session will cover the assessment and application of the eye gaze modality as an alternative and / or augmentative computer access option for use with clients with functional impairments. We will discuss advancements in eye-tracking technology and using eye-gaze as a part of your clinical toolbox. Learn more and register here:
3) Get Organized and Read Books - Exploring File Management and the Victor Reader App on the Brailliant BI X SeriesJune 15th 2021 | 5PM PT, 6PM MT, 7PM CT, 8PM ET, 12AM GMT on 6/16 | Join Andrew Flatres and Peter Tucic for another installment of the HumanWare webinar series, where they will explore different aspects of file and folder management (like copying, cutting, and renaming or moving content to/from SD cards and USB sticks) in the KeyFiles application of BI 20 and 40 X. Attendees will also get an in-depth look at the Victor Reader application, designed to play digital books in many supported formats. Register in advance for this webinar at:
4) Get Organized and Read Books - Exploring File Management and the Victor Reader App on the Brailliant BI X SeriesJune 15th 2021 | 5PM PT, 6PM MT, 7PM CT, 8PM ET, 12AM GMT on 6/16 | Join Andrew Flatres and Peter Tucic for another installment of the HumanWare webinar series, where they will explore different aspects of file and folder management (like copying, cutting, and renaming or moving content to/from SD cards and USB sticks) in the KeyFiles application of BI 20 and 40 X. Attendees will also get an in-depth look at the Victor Reader application, designed to play digital books in many supported formats. Register here:
5) Zoom Webinar From the National Federation of The Blind: Getting The Most Out of Microsoft Office With a Screen ReaderJune 16th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | Mastering the basics of Office may be easy, but using its advanced features with a screen reader can become tricky. Even if you begin as a novice, during this seminar you will progress toward becoming an advanced user in Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook. This is a 4-hour webinar. Learn more and register here:
6) Present and Future of JAWSJune 16th 2021 | 6AM PT, 7AM MT, 8AM CT, 9AM ET, 1PM GMT, 2PM London | This webinar from the UK gives some glimpses into the forthcoming July update and beyond, as well as covering recent enhancements. As Covid-19 restrictions are easing we are told we can have some visitors to our homes, and, to our virtual home as well. That's why we're delighted to welcome back our old friends Eric Damery, Vice President of Software Product Management and Jan bloem, International Sales Manager from Vispero for a very special Webinar Wednesday session. Join Jan and Eric as they review some recent changes in JAWS 2021, including a more efficient way to navigate through email threads and lots more ways in which you can engage with JAWS by simply using your voice! And, if that wasn't enough, Eric will glimpse a little into the future and talk about the July update of JAWS. Register:
7) 1st World Blindness Summit 2021June 25th 2021 through June 30th 2021 | You are hereby invited to the first World Blindness Summit, an online and fully accessible event from June 25th to 30th 2021, open to everyone. What is the World Blindness Summit 21? This is a cutting-edge and innovative event that embraces the benefits of technologies, creating the first global and accessible online conference. Why is it unique? Over 1,000 blind and partially sighted people from nearly 190 countries over the world will participate to share their experiences and practices developed over the past five years, and especially those implemented to cope with the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic in all spheres of life. Who can participate? Everyone is welcome to attend, to participate, to listen, to talk, and to share this unique experience. All events of the World Blindness Summit are available in English, French and Spanish. Why is it interesting to participate? The achievements and challenges experienced will be analyzed, priorities will be set in this new era beginning by working hard to prevent blind and partially sighted people from being left behind in the digital revolution that has made such great progress in the past months. On the other hand, new strategies will be worked on to give visibility to our reality and above all, to promote everything that contributes to the substantiation of a central goal: to create a new vision of blindness, to enable everyone to fully participate in all aspect of our society. You can check the program here: https://www.worldblindnesssummit.com/en/schedule/program. It is all free and you have to register here by 5th June:
8) Reaping the Benefits! Using Reaper Audio Workstation, OSARA and JAWS for WindowsJune 30th 2021 | 11AM PT, 12PM MT, 1PM CT, 2PM ET, 6PM GMT, 7PM UK | This £80 / $112 USD course is suited to anyone who has an interest in creating or working with audio content. You should be familiar with how JAWS functions together with Windows concepts, such as how to navigate around applications. The course is fast-paced. There will be plenty of opportunities to ask questions regarding the topics under discussion, however this is achieved in a structured manner. This ensures that you can focus on learning the concepts being taught. All of your remaining questions answered here:
9) National Federation of the Blind 2021 National ConventionJuly 6th 2021 through July 10th 2021 | Register for free to attend the largest gathering of blind people and take advantage of the opportunity to network with thousands of blind role models, connect with leaders in the field of blindness, attend presentations on a variety of empowering topics, and learn about the latest in technology and innovation. Learn more and register here:
10) Amazon Prime - More Than Just a Delivery Service | Technology User Group (TUG)June 12th 2021 | 7AM PT, 8AM MT, 9AM CT, 10AM ET, 2PM GMT | Many components are included in Amazon Prime, such as Prime Video, Prime Music, Prime Books, Prime Games and many more. Many of these skills can work with Alexa. There are many tips, tricks and secrets to learn to take full advantage of these services. The presentation will be virtual and may be joined by calling the number below. You do not have to RSVP for this event. The presentation will last about 90 minutes:
+1 (319) 527-4994 ☎
1) WebAIM Screen Reader User Survey #9Close Date: June 15th 2021 | The following survey is a follow-up to previous WebAIM Screen Reader User Surveys. This survey is primarily intended to collect new information and track updates/trends from previous surveys. By completing this survey you will help inform development choices for those creating accessible web content and web standards. All screen reader users, even those who use screen readers only for evaluation and testing, are invited to participate:
2) NVDA Satisfaction Survey 2021Close Date: June 25th 2021 | NV Access are pleased to invite you to participate in the NVDA Satisfaction Survey 2021. As in previous years, this is a simple, three-question survey, open to NVDA users and testers around the world:
3) David Goldfield's 1st Annual 2021 Tech-VI Listserv Subscriber SurveyClose Date: June 30th 2021 | This is an invitation to provide your feedback about this list by taking our First Annual Tech-VI Subscriber Survey. This survey is completely anonymous. In fact, I have deliberately not asked for names and email addresses to allow participants to feel totally comfortable in providing both positive as well as constructive feedback. None of the questions require that you submit a response and most are ones where you can jot down your thoughts in a multiline edit field, giving you as much space as you would like to tell me what is working as well as how the list can be improved. Again, all submissions are anonymous and any question can be skipped. Just make sure that you activate the Submit button if you want your feedback to be seen. Comments will not be published to this or any other list:
4) PolyPad Braille Display Needs AssessmentClose Date: July 1st 2021 | Participants must be 18 years or older to participate and able to read braille. We hope that our research will lead to a high quality multi-lined braille display that can be used with a smartphone. Researchers will investigate the quality and usefulness of the product and use the information to improve the development of the device:
5) Access Technology in the WorkplaceClose Date: July 1st 2021 | Open Date: Now Open | Survey Information: a. The NRTC is recruiting people with blindness or low vision (age 21+) who are working or interested in working to be part of a 5-year study about access technology (AT) use, particularly in the workplace. Some questions we will seek answers to are: i. What AT do you most commonly use? ii. How do you decide whether to use a specific AT? iii. What are your AT challenges? iv. What AT do you need that isn't currently available? b. We want to know YOUR thoughts and experiences! Participation will involve completing multiple surveys to help us determine how AT use is changing over time. Fill out the online pre-screening survey to see if you qualify! 5. Survey Rewards Offered: a. if selected from this pre-screening survey, you'll receive a small gift card after completing each survey. Additionally, the NRTC will share study results with participants:
6) Paid Opportunity to Participate in a Research Study: Studying Tools to Manage and Share PicturesClose Date: July 16th 2021 | We are a group of researchers at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. We are conducting research to help blind people and people with visual impairments (BVI people) share pictures to social media free of private and sensitive information. We have designed a mobile App to let BVI users screen private and sensitive information of their about-to-share pictures using artificial intelligence (AI) and human effort. Participants must be 18 years of age or older to participate in this research study. Those who complete the study will receive a $20 compensation and $10 for exit interview. Learn more here:
1) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Listserv Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-listserv-directory.html
2) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Podcast Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-podcast-directory.html
➜ Buy, Sell or Trade
1) FOR SALE: One Braillenote Touch Plus in Excellent ConditionListing Date: 5/20/2021 | Price: $2,000.00 USD | Condition: Gently Used. | Description: One Braillenote Touch Plus in Excellent Condition. | Contact: email@example.com ✉ or (817) 293-2156 ☎ |
2) FOR SALE: One HIMS QBraille XL 40-Cell Smart DisplayListing Date: 5/20/2021 | Price: $1,600.00 USD | Condition: Gently Used. | Description: Two years old. Onboard applications such as Notepad, DAISY reader, alarm clock, calculator, calendar. Full function keys and modifier keys. Will support up to six bluetooth connections and one USB connection simultaneously. Carrying case included. | Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ or (941) 218-9090 ☎ |
3) FOR SALE: One Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Ad (Just like this one.)Price: $5.00 USD | Description: List your new, gently-used or refurbished item in FOUR (4) consecutive issues of Top Tech Tidbits for just $5.00 USD. | Buy an Ad: Fill out this short 10-step form ✔ to secure your Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Advertisement today. | Learn more at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/buy-sell-trade.html 🌐 |
Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor Classified Ads:
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Freedom Scientific Focus Blue 5th Generation Refreshable Braille Displays
Our world-class refreshable Braille displays deliver efficient Braille input and outstanding output for your PC or mobile device. The robust Bluetooth® connectivity provides seamless use with Windows®, Mac®, iPhones®, iPads®, and AndroidTM smartphones and tablets. Ergonomic navigation features allow quick, natural hand movements for greater productivity. When used with JAWS® screen reading software, they support our popular Braille Study Mode, an interactive tool for teaching and learning Braille. Learn more today:
Sponsor Since: April 15th 2021
Website: https://www.freedomscientific.com/ 🌐
Email: email@example.com ✉
Phone: (800) 444-4443 ☎
About: Freedom Scientific, a Vispero brand, is a leading worldwide brand of assistive technology products for those with vision impairments. We offer products designed to promote independence, allowing blind and low vision individuals the same access to information as their sighted peers. World-renowned JAWS (Job Access With Speech) screen reading software and ZoomText screen magnification software provide users the independence and ability to seek education and obtain or maintain a career after vision loss. Our expansive product line includes both low vision and blindness technology for all aspects of daily living. The wide range of RUBY, TOPAZ, and ONYX desktop and portable video magnifiers are designed for their ease of use and assist with daily activities. Our impressive line of blindness hardware products include refreshable Braille displays and scanning and reading devices, offering many options tailored to fit individual needs.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
VisionAware Resources: The Benefits of Working: Navigating SSI/SSDI While Seeking Employment
Join Karen Shrawder for an interactive presentation on June 14th 2021 at 4:00 PM Eastern about the benefits of becoming employed for recipients of Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and/or beneficiaries of Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) including: an overview of work incentives and helpful hints for overcoming challenges such as overpayments at:
Sponsor Since: March 4th 2021
Website: https://aphconnectcenter.org/ 🌐
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
APH ConnectCenter Information and Referral Line:
Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM ET
About: The APH ConnectCenter offers curated advice and resources to assist children, parents, adults, and job seekers who are blind or visually impaired, and their associated professionals, leading to greater independence and success in their lives.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
BRAILLIANT Renewed! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series is here!
The wait is over! A redefined family of Brailliant refreshable Braille displays has arrived! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series will help you stay connected, download books from many participating online libraries and share information easily with your peers. You will enjoy the intuitive, seamless user experience of KeySoft Lite, the HumanWare flagship accessibility suite designed to make you more productive. Including the Brailliant BI 40X and the Brailliant BI 20X, this is the Brailliant idea you need!
Sponsor Since: February 4th 2021
Website: http://humanware.com/ 🌐
Phone (Asia): +61 2 9686 2600 ☎
YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRWVYiggn-w 🎥
About: HumanWare is the global leader in assistive technology for people who are blind or have low vision. HumanWare offers a wide range of innovative products, including the BrailleNote Touch, first Google certified braille tablet, the iOS compatible Brailliant braille displays, Victor Reader®, the world's leading family of digital audiobook players, the unique Prodigi® family of desktop and portable vision and reading systems, and the ultra-portable explore line of electronic handheld magnifier.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Everyone Can Have an Amazing Customer Experience with SuperNova Kiosks!
Dolphin creates customized kiosk solutions for every type of service kiosk and every level of vision loss--and that's a win for your service or brand! If you're a business owner or someone who's struggling to access a service via a kiosk, spread the word! Check out this introductory audio/video demonstration highlighting the benefits of Dolphin SuperNova Kiosks!
Sponsor Since: January 28th 2021
Website: https://yourdolphin.com/ 🌐
Phone (USA & Canada): +1 (866) 797-5921 ☎
Phone (UK, Europe & Asia): +44 01905 754577 ☎
Phone (Nordic & Baltic Contries): +46 0515 82175 ☎
Download a FREE 30-Day Trial of GuideConnect
Download a FREE 30-Day Trial of SuperNova
About: Dolphin Computer Access offers a wide array of solutions for students, people in the workforce, and at home who are blind, visually impaired or have dyslexia. Each product is purposefully designed to help users, with varying levels of technology experience, do everyday things EASILY on computers and tablets. Founded in 1986 and located in Worcester England, Dolphin has grown to become a global market leader worldwide.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Accessible Pharmacy Joins Be My Eyes
Accessible Pharmacy, the new, home delivery pharmacy with a blind founder, is bringing its full range of support and services to Be My Eyes. Users of the Be My Eyes app can now call Accessible Pharmacy directly to get support with medication, medical devices, and even home delivery COVID testing. With a fully trained and discreet pharmacy staff on call from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM Pacific, Accessible Pharmacy is the new way for blind and low vision consumers to get an easy, frictionless pharmacy experience. Call today — and you'll never have to take an Uber to the drugstore again.
Lead Contact: Will Butler, VP of Community
Sponsor Since: November 5th 2020
Website: https://www.bemyeyes.com/ 🌐
Download The App (iOS):
Download The App (Android):
About: Be My Eyes is a free mobile app that allows anyone who needs video support to get assistance from a dynamic range of volunteers and company customer support professionals from around the world. With more than 4 million volunteers and dozens of companies offering on-demand visual interpretation and support, Be My Eyes is a free, unlimited way to bridge gaps and get access to whatever information you need — 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in any language. Download the app today from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired Adaptations Online Store Featured Products
Revolution Cane Tip: Standard Roller Tip: $14.50 | Locator Dots: Small Pack of 6 (Clear or Orange): $2.00 | NFB Metal Cane Tip: $3.00 | TMAP - On Demand Tactile Street | Map (set of two maps): $25.00 | Ambutech Aluminum Folding Cane: $35.00 | NFB Chris Park Telescoping Cane: $45.00 | BoldWriter 20 Pen (Individual or 6-pack): $2.00 | Bump Dots: Mixed (50 count): $7.00 | Braille Apple Catalina VoiceOver Guide OSX 10.15 (3 volumes) - Latest Manual: $52.00 | SpeedDots iPhone Tactile Screen Protector, Phone Layout: $12.00 | NFB Chris Park 7-Piece Folding Cane: $50.00 | Visit https://adaptations.org/ to learn more today!
Sponsor Since: October 1, 2020
Website: https://adaptations.org/ 🌐
Toll Free: (888) 400-8933 ☎
Local: (415) 694-7301 ☎
About: Founded in 1902, San Francisco's LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired promotes the independence, equality and self-reliance of people who are blind or have low vision. Adaptations is your online go-to for tools, technology, and accessible solutions for blind and visually impaired people.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Build a foundational understanding of construction and electronics with BRIC: Structures® Access Kit from APH - an adapted version of an educational Elenco® product for students who are blind and visually impaired!
The BRIC: Structures® Access Kit combines ordinary building bricks with Snap Circuits® to create 26 projects, such as circuits and real-world structures, that run on electricity. Visit https://www.aph.org/product/bric-structures-access-kit/ to learn more.
Sponsor Since: July 2nd 2020
Website: https://www.aph.org/ 🌐
Toll Free and Customer Support: (800) 223-1839 ☎
Phone: (512) 895-2405 ☎
Fax: (512) 899-2284 ░
YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/WENRlCNDsxQ 🎥
Free Apps & Actions from APH: https://www.aph.org/free-apps-from-aph/ 📱
About: Since 1858, the American Printing House for the Blind has operated in Louisville, Kentucky as the world's largest nonprofit organization, creating accessible learning experiences through educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are blind and visually impaired. APH believes that the future belongs to everyone. By offering innovative products and services, APH opens up a door of opportunities for lifelong independence and success.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
GuideLights and Gadgets Invites You to Listen, Learn and Buy from our Selection of Leather, Gadgets, and Dog Products
(1) Our first summer convention weekly special: 1 of 8: New 6 pocket leather waist pack, 15 by 7 by 5 inches, 6 pockets, 50 inch strap, $35. (2) Our new hands free 6 pocket rugged cowhide leather neck pouch will fit any phone, and a whole lot more. Can go on your belt or carry crossbody. 7 by 5 by 4 inches. $40.00. (3) Craddle your 20 cell Braille display with Our unique leather case that feels like a thick book; middle zipper, carrying strap; no Braille display ever felt so much love! $60. Call Barry: (617) 969-7500 ☎ / email@example.com ✉ or visit: https://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/.
Sponsor Since: June 25th 2020
Website: http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/ 🌐
About: Our Scope of Products: We specialize in 3 lines of products, all intended to assist in access to adaptive electronics, enhance experiences for guide dog teams, and offer practical solutions for organization and travel with a variety of leather bags, pouches, and backpacks. Then there are the random products that are included, just for fun! We enjoy working with our customers 1-on-1 to their money is well spent and not wasted on something they may not use. In thinking about our customers and whether we will carry a product our guiding motto is that it must be: practical, affordable, simple, tested, and accessible (the pasta principle) and it seems to work very well.
What We Do: We bring our business either via zoom, phone, or to your conference or convention, to give each customer a chance for questions and where possible, "hands on" evaluation of the merchandise. Kae and I test and use each product as blind users before we put it in our catalog. In the case of products for guide and service dogs, our own three guides, Thor, Debra and Melody, are engaged in the process of evaluating the usefulness, durability, and/or fun of the product. We want each of our products to be useful, accessible, afforable, and, whenever possible, fun! Our inventory is constantly changing, so a visit to us is never the same experience twice!
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Plugable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub
If you're like me, you probably have more things to plug into your computer than available ports. That's why we've now added the Plugable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub. Plug it into your laptop and you will get 3 USB ports, SD and Micro SD card slots, a USBC charging port, and an HDMI video port. It's available now for just $29.95:
Sponsor Since: June 11th 2020
Website: https://www.atguys.com/ 🌐
Phone: (269) 216-4798 ☎
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
Skype: atguys ✆
Twitter: https://twitter.com/atguys (@atguys) ✍
Facebook: https://facebook.com/atguys ✍
About: ATGuys.com. Your access technology experts, home for cool gadgets, accessories, and more. Our products are all tested to work great for blind and visually impaired users but also work just as well for anyone. If there's an item you're looking for, or if you have a question, please don't hesitate to send us a message or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Would you like to learn to control your computer with your voice, or to create documents using your voice rather than the keyboard? There are several tools to accomplish these objectives. I can provide training in their use. Write to me if interested at:
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
Website: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/ 🌐
About: Dean Martineau is the Founder and a Contributing Editor to the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Scribe For Meetings: Real Time Access To Accessible Content in Remote Presentations Is Here!
Attendees! Never wonder what's being shared on screen during online presentations again! Presenters! Upload slides within 5 minutes of the presentation, and provide content in multiple downloadable formats. There is absolutely no reason why your next online event has to leave anyone with a print disability in digital darkness. Schools, Government, businesses, and single presenters! Take advantige of our introductory rate for meetings and free webinar for life program:
Sponsor Since: June 3rd 2021
Website: https://pneumasolutions.com/ 🌐
Email Newsletter: Click here to receive periodic news via email concerning Pneuma Solutions products for business, consumers and education.
Sales: (866) 202-0520 ☎
Support: (650) 249-1000 ☎
About: Backed by two decades of creating award-winning accessible cloud technologies for people with visual impairments, Pneuma Solutions is the global leader in accessible cloud-based solutions. Pneuma Solutions was founded by long-time accessibility developers Mike Calvo and Matt Campbell. For more information on their individual profiles, click on their respective bio pages. We're proud to be the first company to develop cloud-based accessibility at the network level. Our tools provide organizations, like yours, a way to deliver secure, accessible information right from your network or from our secure servers. You can provide your print disabled consumers, students, employees, and citizens with a multitude of accessible options. Additionally, we offer a suite of cloud-based applications to blind and print disabled consumers directly from our website. Our consumer products are designed to make the day-to-day lives of blind and print disabled individuals more accessible and simpler to manage. Access to information is not a privilege, it's a right. It's also your right to obtain affordable, accessible cloud solutions to serve your end user. When organizations like yours implement our tools, together we help make it a more inclusive world for people with disabilities. Want to know more about how we can help you become more inclusive?
Contact us here. We'll be happy to discuss how our tools can help with your accessibility needs.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Training to Fit Your Needs Do you have a device you just don't understand? Do you want to advance your skills on a certain platform? Let Commtech help you out! From phones to note takers to computers and everything in between, let Commtech give you the skills you need to succeed. For more information, call (833) 345-8324 ☎ EXT 700 or visit our website:
Sponsor Since: April 22nd 2021
Website: https://commtechusa.net/ 🌐
Phone: (833) 345-8324 ☎
About: Commtech USA, a division of Commtech LLC is a Phoenix based national assistive technology company, with locations in Bakersfield CA. We deliver unmatched information technology and assistive technology consultations, training and support. Founded in 2005 as a government vendor fulfilling a vast range of technology needs of federal and state government clients, Commtech USA has expanded to meet the needs of businesses as well as individuals, with office locations across the nation. No issue is too large or too small for our staff, Commtech USA is the on call technology staff you call when you have tried the rest but need the best!
Download The App (iOS):
Download The App (Android):
Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday is a leading, not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 6,500 Adaptive Technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week.
Top Tech Tidbits offers a total of 12 Sponsorship Packages which are used to support the ongoing distribution of the publication.
There are 0 of 12 packages currently available.
If you would like to become a Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor, but there are no sponsorship packages currently available, we encourage you to join our waiting list by sending an email to: email@example.com ✉.
Once you have joined our waiting list we will notify you the next time a current sponsor decides not to renew. You will then have 72 hours to secure your sponsorship before it is offered to the next sponsor on the list.
When available you can secure one of these packages for just $325.00 USD for the next 3 months, or save $100.00 USD and join us for the year. All Sponsorship Packages are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Please help us to support the ongoing distribution of this publication. Consider showing your support for the world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology while enjoying these incredible benefits. Learn more today at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
Top Tech Tidbits Supporters:
We couldn't do it without you! Thank for your support!
Tidbits Supporters donate an amount of their choosing on an annual basis in order to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication.
If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support.
In tandem with Our Sponsors, these are the people that make the ongoing distribution of Tidbits possible:
1.) Gary Lee
2.) Anonymous Donation
3.) Pshon Barrett
1.) Howard Goldstein
2.) David Goldstein
3.) Katherine Crohan
1.) Your name here. Help support Tidbits today.
1.) Steven Wettlaufer
2.) Shaun Everiss
Top Tech Tidbits Subscription Information:
ABOUT:Founded in 2004, Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday is a leading not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 6,700 assistive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week. Sign up here. Review the archive here. Adaptive Technology refers to items that are specifically designed for people with disabilities. Adaptive Technology is a subset of Assistive Technology. Adaptive Technology often refers specifically to electronic and information technology access. Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday is a Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication. Publisher: Aaron Di Blasi. Contributing Editors: John Hanlin, Jenna Lang. Top Tech Tidbits is a sponsor and reader supported publication.
RELEASE SCHEDULE:Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday is sent out every Thursday morning at 4:00 AM EST / EDT.
SUBSCRIBE:Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter on the Top Tech Tidbits Website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com or by (SMS) texting "TOPTECHTIDBITS" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter. It's that easy.
SPONSOR:If you would like to become 1 of only 12 Tidbits Sponsors whose annual support makes the distribution of Top Tech Tidbits possible, we offer you the following benefits, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
SUPPORT:If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/donate.html.
WEBSITE:Visit the Top Tech Tidbits website online at https://www.toptechtidbits.com.
FACEBOOK:Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Facebook News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/facebook.
TWITTER:Are you on Twitter? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Twitter News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/twitter.
LINKEDIN:Are you on LinkedIn? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your LinkedIn News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/linkedin.
YOUTUBE:Are you on YouTube? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your YouTube Video Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/youtube.
RSS:Do you prefer RSS? Follow Top Tech Tidbits via RSS today to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology using your choice of news aggregator: https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits.
QUESTIONS:Tidbits are intentionally concise. As a result we know that some readers may not always understand all of the items listed because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVEVisit the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter Archive at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/archive.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT CONTRIBUTORS:Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be submitted online via our Top Tech Tidbit Submission Form at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/submit-tidbit or directed to our Editors at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information provided by: