Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, June 17, 2021 - Volume 811
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication
Top Tech Tidbits. The world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology.
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Explore a Galaxy of Possibilities with Juno, a New Handheld Video Magnifier with Optical Character Recognition (OCR) from APH!
Portable and easy to use, Juno is a powerful handheld video magnifier packed with features, allowing customization for users across the low vision spectrum. Capture and process multiple pages of printed text using OCR. Read text on Juno's 7-inch touch LCD screen with 2x-30x magnification and 24 high-contrast color modes, or have it read aloud with text-to-speech.
A rotating barrel camera and five camera modes support work and recreational activities for all ages. Touch up your eyeshadow with self-view; study your textbooks in reading view; and view a whiteboard with distance-view. Complete paperwork with writing-view, and relax with hobby-view by sewing or making your favorite recipe.
Other features include audio tags to name files, the ability to transfer files from a computer and flash drive via a USB-C port, Teacher Settings to access exam mode and lock out certain features during an exam, and much more. Learn more about Juno and order yours today at:
Dear Tidbits Subscriber,
1) Top 5 Most Clicked Tidbits From Last WeekA.) JAWS Power Tip: Virtualize Current Control: (7.1% of all clicks.)
B.) What Is Amazon Sidewalk and How Do You Disable It?: (6.5% of all clicks.)
C.) All the Top Features Coming to Your iPhone This Fall: (5.7% of all clicks.)
D.) AppleVis on WWDC: (4.8% of all clicks.)
E.) Review of Smartphone Apps and Resources for People with Vision Loss or Impairment: (3.9% of all clicks.)
2) Version 2.5 of Inclusion Code Now AvailableVersion 2.5 of Inclusion Code is now available and integrates Markdown integration as one of its main updates. Inclusion Code is a simple HTML and Markdown editor for Windows that facilitates the creation of content by automating the creation of tags. The user selects the desired element from the Insert Menu and the program will generate the corresponding codes and copy them into the editor. So you can create HTML and Markdown content in a very short time. Inclusion Code was designed to be an educational tool that facilitates learning and creation of HTML content and Markdown documents. The program interface is a simple one with menu bars, which uses standard Windows controls, making it accessible to screen reader programs and braille displays used by blind persons. Inclusion Code is compatible with JAWS, Narrator and NVDA screen readers. In this new update, it is now possible to write accessible documents in Markdown and export them to Word or Power Point. Learn more at:
3) Top Tech Tidbits Seeks New Subscribe Address for "The New Windows 10 And JAWS Mailing List"A reader has written in to let us know that the email address listed for subscribing to this Listserv, "The New Windows 10 And JAWS Mailing List" at firstname.lastname@example.org ✉, returns a non-existent address message. We are therefore seeking contact information for the moderator of this Listserv in order to update this address. Please note that if we are unable to reach anyone within one week we will have no choice but to remove this Listserv from the Top Tech Tidbits BVI Listserv Directory. Thank you for your help!
4) Audio Documentation on 1PasswordThis $49 tutorial from Mystic Access explains the popular password manager, and discounts for it are available with some purchases:
5) Digging into Apple's iCloud Private RelayHow does the new iCloud feature compare to a VPN?
6) How to Fix Windows 10 with a 30-Minute Repair InstallCourtesy of Tom's Hardware:
7) Coding With Mantis Q40APH sells this device, so you expect them to promote it, but so do a lot of us!
8) Some iOS 15 Features Require an iPhone XS or NewerA lot of phones will be able to install iOS 15, but not all phones will be able to make use of all the new features of the iOS:
9) Apple Announces 2021 Apple Design Award WinnersCongratulations to Voice Dream Reader and Be My Eyes who are among the winners:
10) Top Collapsible Electronic Video Magnifiers 2021New England Low Vision Compiles This and Other "Top Ten" Lists:
11) JAWS Scripts for Zoom and TeamsBrian Hartgen continues to update his JAWS scripts for these two programs, providing high-quality access at a reasonable cost. Learn about the Zoom scripts here:
And about scripts for Microsoft Teams here:
12) New Version of Braille BlasterThe free braillle translation program has received significant updates:
13) Notepad++ 8.0 Has Been ReleasedNotepad++ is a popular choice on Windows devices when it comes to the replacement of the built-in plain text editor Notepad. The open source application improves plain text editing on Windows PCs significantly. It supports tabs, better search functionality, themes, plugins, auto-complete, programming languages and their syntax, and more:
14) Security Flaws Found in Samsung's Stock Mobile AppsA mobile security startup has found seven security flaws in Samsung's pre-installed mobile apps, which it says if abused could have allowed attackers broad access to a victim's personal data:
15) Microsoft Videos That Demonstrate Concisely How To Create Accessible Microsoft 365 DocumentsThese very well made videos come directly from the Microsoft Support website and concisely demonstrate how to create accessible Microsoft 365 documents. Most of them are under 4 minutes long, and many readers have reported them to be a helpful bite-size resource to share with colleagues, friends, faculty, staff or students:
16) HoloLens 2: Enhanced Vision Trough Augmented RealityMicrosoft's HoloLens glasses proved to be a life-changing tool for people with vision impairment. Enhancing vision by projecting bright colors onto the retina, the glasses yielded amazing results in a 2019 study for patients with retinitis pigmentosa. They increased mobility by 50 percent and grasping of nearby objects by 70 percent. The glasses also improved users' vision in low light. The HoloLens 2 headset claims to be even better. It not only has a wider field of view, but its wireless carbon fiber construction makes it three times more comfortable to wear:
17) Communicate Freely With Instant Language Assistant (ILA)The ILA device allows users to speak or type a word or phrase. Then, the conversation is instantly transcribed and shown to both people in real time. This device can also be translated into more than 120 languages and dialects. While it can certainly be used to bridge language barriers, the ILA was originally built to help people with disabilities:
18) UK Petition To Make Audio Description Available on ALL Films, TV Programmes and Streaming ServicesCurrently, TV channels and film networks have to only provide audio description to 10% of its films and TV shows. But we want to increase this to 100% so blind and partially sighted people can access all the same films and programmes as the sighted community:
19) Tutorial From Mystic Access: The Wonderful World of Windows 10: $75.00Mystic Access wishes to support you in learning the Windows 10 operating system from a blindness perspective. Start with the basics, take a deep dive into the primary concepts and features, and shatter all those misconceptions you may have about this version of the Windows platform. Comprehensive audio documentation including examples, demos and thorough explanations and instruction. Please read below for the full description:
20) iOS Tips And Tricks Tutorial. Learn To Optimize And Utilize Some Great Features On Your Apple iPad, iPhone, Or iPod: $79.00This four-hour tutorial, intended for users who already have a basic grasp of iDevice use, costs $79, or you can get it free or at a reduced cost if you buy Apple products from the company:
21) Infovox4 Speech Product From Acapela Losing Support In July 2022https://www.acapela-group.com/solutions/infovox-4/
22) 8 iPhone Accessibility Features for People With Vision ProblemsThese iPhone settings can make your device easier to use if you are a user with blindness or vision loss:
➜ Press Releases and Other News
1) Accessibility Experts Compile Top 10 List of Inclusive UK Tourist HotpotsHome adaptations specialist Invisible Creations has compiled a list of the most inclusive UK tourist hotspots as the weather heats up:
2) UserWay Releases AI-Powered Accessibility Widget for Shopify StoresUserWay is the first to solve a widespread accessibility issue that excludes visually impaired users and costs millions in lost sales annually:
3) Legally Blind Bryan, Ohio Man Details Journey To 20/20 Vision With TechnologyFor Bryan, Ohio resident Benjamin Murray, life is finally clear - but for the first 26 years of his life it wasn't. He was born legally blind with optic nerve atrophy. "I was passed from doctor to doctor, ophthalmologist to ophthalmologist," Murray recalled. In August 2015, he heard about a breakthrough technology called eSight, an additional pair of smart glasses that gives the visually impaired 2020 vision. It fits to a patient's head and can be worn over glasses:
4) Mojo Vision's Smart Contact Lens Could Be Transformative For Sight ImpairedMojo Vision, a Saratoga, California-based startup is seeking to improve the lives of people living with sight loss by launching a smart contact lens that can overlay information on the real world and augment what the wearer sees:
5) Fighting Ableism Is About Much More Than Attitudes And AwarenessEven after decades of progress against ableism, people with disabilities still face significant barriers to social inclusion, equal opportunity, health and safety, and financial security. And while some of the most visible efforts to continue the fight focus on changing ableist habits and attitudes, the most harmful and persistent barriers disabled people face are still distinctly structural:
6) Honda Developing Shoe-Based Navi System For Visually ImpairedHonda Motor Co., Ltd. announced a new firm called Ashirase, Inc. It's the first startup that came from Ignition, Honda's new business creation program. Ashirase, Inc.'s first technologically advanced product is quite revolutionary, but it isn't for cars. The company is developing an in-shoe navigation system to support visually impaired individuals with walking. Honda aims to begin sales of the system, which is also named Ashirase, by March 2023:
7) Visually Impaired Veterans Use Vibrations to KayakVRG or Vibrio-remote Tactile Guidance is a new system being used to train the visually impaired how to enjoy the sport of kayaking:
8) What Stevie Wonder Can Teach The World About Accessible DesignLet's start with an obvious statement: Stevie Wonder's done some amazing things throughout his career. He's won 25 Grammy awards. He's been awarded a Lifetime Achievement Award from the National Civil Rights Museum. He's been named one of the United Nations' Messengers of Peace. And, in 2014, Barack Obama awarded him the Presidential Medal of Freedom. But for all of those achievements, there's one specific moment in Stevie Wonder's career that especially sticks in our minds:
9) Medical Student's Smartphone App For The Blind Makes College Of Engineering Competition FinalsA smartphone app that helps blind and visually impaired users better navigate their surroundings in public, designed by a School of Medicine student, is one of five finalists in the Wayne State University College of Engineering's Mobility for All competition. The finalists are competing for the top prize of $10,000 to fund their innovations:
10) Horror Flight Simulator HAUNTED SPACE Shows Off Gameplay And Reveals How It's Handicap-FriendlyWhile it is always great to see some gameplay for an upcoming title, it is even better when the news around it isn't quite what you would have expected. Merge Games has shared the latest gameplay trailer, but developers Italian Games Factory has included some interesting detail about Haunted Space regarding its accessibility to interested players:
➜ Featured Podcast Episodes
1) Outdoors with Lawrence Gunther | Giant Catfish and Fishing BlindJune 11th 2021 | Fishing blind or blind fishing — it all depends on who's doing the fishing. ON Outdoors with Lawrence Gunther, Ms Lilly tells us where to go to catch the biggest catfish in Canada, and has some giant catfish stories, including how to noodle to catch catfish. Dr. Catfish calls in to tell listeners about his new book featuring his favorite catfish fishing rigs and invites listeners to join his blind fishing email list. Lawrence shares his fishing tips and reflects on fishing with his dad. This year let's all celebrate Father's Day by going fishing!
2) Blind Android Users 27 | Rave that TTS Engine!June 13th 2021 | We thanked Top Tech Tidbits for promoting the show for so long and asked our listeners to subscribe to the newsletter. We discuss one plus Summer launch event and launch of One Plus Nord CE and U1S 4K TV. We also warn our listeners about bugs found in stock apps of Samsung phones including Samsung nocks. We demo some of the most popular TTS engines. We have episode 5 of commentary screen reader in which we explored the user center. Then we demo UK pub app Wetherspoon which will help our UK listeners:
3) That Real Blind Tech Show 39 | The Ultimate Sonos Demo! A Demo of the New Sonos Roam, Sonos App, and Lyd for SonosJune 13th 2021
Brian is flying solo once again for another That Real Blind Tech show demo. On this episode Brian demos the Sonos Roam along with the Sonos app, and a third party Watch App called Lyd that really compliments the Sonos system quite well, and gives you complete control of your Sonos system from your Apple Watch:
4) Mosen At Large 132June 14th 2021 New Zealand broadcasting and entertainment icon, Don Linden:
5) Say My Meme | Online Dating MemesJune 15th 2021
We all feel like Jokers on dating apps sometimes. But what's the difference between Joaquin Phoenix and a guy posing with his lawnmower? Say My Meme is here to investigate, with some choice online dating memes to lighten your load and get you ready for your own "Hot Vax Summer:"
6) Eyes on Success 2125 | GoodMaps Indoor Navigation AidJune 16th 2021
GPS technologies and apps are a great asset in helping the blind navigate and become more mobile. Unfortunately, GPS is only effective in navigating outdoors. Hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey talk with Mike May about the new GoodMaps app and how it has overcome technical challenges faced by other approaches to indoor navigation in the past:
➜ Featured Webinars, Training Courses and Events
1) Word Tips and Tricks from Power Users | Freedom ScirentificJune 17th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | Do you want to increase your proficiency in Word? Need tips for quickly navigating to items you use the most? Join us with our special guests Eric Damery and Matt Ater for this live webinar. We will demonstrate useful features, and show you how to: Turn off the Backstage menu, Use the traditional Save and Open dialog boxes, Use the F6 key to navigate to different areas in Word, Toggle between the Single-line and Multi-line Ribbon, Check word count statistics and virtualizing this information, Use or disable the Paste Recovery Table, and Create headings in a document. *ACVREP credits will be available for those who attend the live webinar:
2) Career Technical Education: More than Workshop Classes | APH WebinarJune 22nd 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | Think Career and Technical Education (CTE) is only vocational classes? Think again! Attend this webinar series and not only dispel misconceptions about CTE coursework, but also discover how students with Visual Impairments can actively engage in developing career specific skills with positive work outcomes:
3) Monitoring Your Blood Sugar Levels with Low or No Vision | APH WebinarJune 23rd 2021 | 2:30PM PT, 3:30PM MT, 4:30PM CT, 5:30PM ET, 9:30PM GMT | This webinar will explore the importance of monitoring your blood glucose levels. We will provide information and demonstrations of talking blood glucose meters, and how to make continuous glucose monitors (CGM) accessible. Also, if you have trouble getting blood on the test strip, join this webinar to learn some helpful tips:
4) Introduction to Dramatic Writing Part 2: Energize Your Writing With Audiojack | APH WebinarJune 23rd 2021 | 12PM PT, 1PM MT, 2PM CT, 3PM ET, 7PM GMT | Join APH as the journey continues in the second webinar in this dramatic writing series. Get inspired by Audiojack, sound-based movies with no words to mindfully engage your imagination, and learn the basics of writing a dialogue. Whether you joined us for part one or are starting with part two, you'll learn strategies to inspire your students and build creative writing skills:
5) Deaf Student Access: Tips & Resources for Reopening CampusJune 24th 2021 | 12PM PT, 1PM MT, 2PM CT, 3PM ET, 7PM GMT | Join the NDC | Help Team for this live presentation covering the most frequently asked questions about access and accommodations in a variety of formats. Though COVID-19 cases seem to be going down with rising vaccination rates, the fall 2021 semester will still be littered with uncertainty. Schools are planning for a variety of class formats — in-person, online, hybrid. Planning for all the different options also includes designing accessible environments. Register here:
6) 1st World Blindness Summit 2021June 25th 2021 through June 30th 2021 | You are hereby invited to the first World Blindness Summit, an online and fully accessible event from June 25th to 30th 2021, open to everyone. What is the World Blindness Summit 21? This is a cutting-edge and innovative event that embraces the benefits of technologies, creating the first global and accessible online conference. Why is it unique? Over 1,000 blind and partially sighted people from nearly 190 countries over the world will participate to share their experiences and practices developed over the past five years, and especially those implemented to cope with the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic in all spheres of life. Who can participate? Everyone is welcome to attend, to participate, to listen, to talk, and to share this unique experience. All events of the World Blindness Summit are available in English, French and Spanish. Why is it interesting to participate? The achievements and challenges experienced will be analyzed, priorities will be set in this new era beginning by working hard to prevent blind and partially sighted people from being left behind in the digital revolution that has made such great progress in the past months. On the other hand, new strategies will be worked on to give visibility to our reality and above all, to promote everything that contributes to the substantiation of a central goal: to create a new vision of blindness, to enable everyone to fully participate in all aspect of our society. You can check the program here: https://www.worldblindnesssummit.com/en/schedule/program. It is all free and you have to register here by 5th June:
7) The Road Ahead: Career Readiness for Middle School Students | APH WebinarJune 25th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | The employment rate for individuals with visual impairments is approximately 37% and remains relatively unchanged for decades. The Road Ahead webinar series guides educators to move beyond triaged transition planning with the goal of changing the trajectory for all students. Attend this webinar to better understand what is meant by career readiness skills for middle school age students, identify ways to guide students to discover suitable careers, and how to embed career readiness skills within all areas of the Expanded Core Curriculum:
8) TPGi Webinar: Undertaking JAWS Screen Reader Compatibility Testing in Real LifeJune 29th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | Experience a real-world scenario exhibiting the synergy between the JAWS screen reader and TPGi's JAWS compatibility testing tool, JAWS Inspect, as part of the accessibility QA process. Webinar attendees will observe the interaction between a real JAWS user struggling with a poorly designed web page and a TPGi accessibility tester making sense of the JAWS user's accessibility challenges via the power of JAWS Inspect:
9) Career Technical Education: More than Workshop Classes | APH WebinarJune 29th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | Think Career and Technical Education (CTE) is only vocational classes? Think again! Attend this webinar series and not only dispel misconceptions about CTE coursework, but also discover how students with Visual Impairments can actively engage in developing career specific skills with positive work outcomes:
10) Reaping the Benefits! Using Reaper Audio Workstation, OSARA and JAWS for WindowsJune 30th 2021 | 11AM PT, 12PM MT, 1PM CT, 2PM ET, 6PM GMT, 7PM UK | This £80 / $112 USD course is suited to anyone who has an interest in creating or working with audio content. You should be familiar with how JAWS functions together with Windows concepts, such as how to navigate around applications. The course is fast-paced. There will be plenty of opportunities to ask questions regarding the topics under discussion, however this is achieved in a structured manner. This ensures that you can focus on learning the concepts being taught. All of your remaining questions answered here:
11) National Association of Guide Dog Users 2021 Annual SeminarJuly 6th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | The seminar committee has been working hard to ensure that our seminar will be filled with great information, and of course our traditional door prizes. This year's theme is "Celebrating Puppy Raisers Everywhere." In addition, the seminar will feature a veterinary piece, updates from guide dog training programs and our advocacy component will prepare everyone for this year's resolutions. The NAGDU annual business meeting will take place on Thursday, July 8th 2021, from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM ET. During the business meeting we will hold our annual elections, hear from our legal department, and learn about all the things NAGDU has been up to over the past year. Please use the below link to register. Registration will close at midnight Eastern July 6. Remember, to be eligible for door prizes, you must register. We are looking forward to seeing everyone in July:
12) National Federation of the Blind 2021 National ConventionJuly 6th 2021 through July 10th 2021 | Register for free to attend the largest gathering of blind people and take advantage of the opportunity to network with thousands of blind role models, connect with leaders in the field of blindness, attend presentations on a variety of empowering topics, and learn about the latest in technology and innovation. Learn more and register here:
13) 2021 ACB Virtual Conference and Convention | Registration Information and Browse Conference and Convention SessionsJuly 16th 2021 through July 23rd 2021 Registration is now open. If you wish, you can now browse the seminars, workshops, meetings, programs, and social events that are scheduled before you actually register. Registration will remain open to June 28, 2021, but before you register, there is an important task each of you must undertake if you plan on registering. ACB is moving ever closer to a singular login and password that will apply to all ACB websites and web-based functions. If you intend on registering for the convention this year, please go to https://members.acb.org/ to create your ACB account. Select "CREATE AN ACCOUNT" and complete the profile information requested. You will need to create a new username and password (if you wish, you can use the same username and password you used for past conventions when creating this new account). There is one exception: If you registered for the ACB Holiday Auction in December 2020, you have already created an account and you do not have to do so again. If you have problems or questions regarding this process, please call the Minnesota Finance Office at (612) 332-3242 ☎. You will use this new username and password when you register on or after May 20, 2021. To make sure you receive the most up to date information, subscribe to our convention announce list by sending a blank email to email@example.com ✉ or contact Janet Dickelman, convention coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ or by phone at (651) 428-5059 ☎.
1) NVDA Satisfaction Survey 2021Close Date: June 25th 2021 | NV Access are pleased to invite you to participate in the NVDA Satisfaction Survey 2021. As in previous years, this is a simple, three-question survey, open to NVDA users and testers around the world:
2) David Goldfield's 1st Annual 2021 Tech-VI Listserv Subscriber SurveyClose Date: June 30th 2021 | This is an invitation to provide your feedback about this list by taking our First Annual Tech-VI Subscriber Survey. This survey is completely anonymous. In fact, I have deliberately not asked for names and email addresses to allow participants to feel totally comfortable in providing both positive as well as constructive feedback. None of the questions require that you submit a response and most are ones where you can jot down your thoughts in a multiline edit field, giving you as much space as you would like to tell me what is working as well as how the list can be improved. Again, all submissions are anonymous and any question can be skipped. Just make sure that you activate the Submit button if you want your feedback to be seen. Comments will not be published to this or any other list:
3) PolyPad Braille Display Needs AssessmentClose Date: July 1st 2021 | Participants must be 18 years or older to participate and able to read braille. We hope that our research will lead to a high quality multi-lined braille display that can be used with a smartphone. Researchers will investigate the quality and usefulness of the product and use the information to improve the development of the device:
4) Access Technology in the WorkplaceClose Date: July 1st 2021 | Open Date: Now Open | Survey Information: a. The NRTC is recruiting people with blindness or low vision (age 21+) who are working or interested in working to be part of a 5-year study about access technology (AT) use, particularly in the workplace. Some questions we will seek answers to are: i. What AT do you most commonly use? ii. How do you decide whether to use a specific AT? iii. What are your AT challenges? iv. What AT do you need that isn't currently available? b. We want to know YOUR thoughts and experiences! Participation will involve completing multiple surveys to help us determine how AT use is changing over time. Fill out the online pre-screening survey to see if you qualify! 5. Survey Rewards Offered: a. if selected from this pre-screening survey, you'll receive a small gift card after completing each survey. Additionally, the NRTC will share study results with participants:
5) Paid Opportunity to Participate in a Research Study: Studying Tools to Manage and Share PicturesClose Date: July 16th 2021 | We are a group of researchers at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. We are conducting research to help blind people and people with visual impairments (BVI people) share pictures to social media free of private and sensitive information. We have designed a mobile App to let BVI users screen private and sensitive information of their about-to-share pictures using artificial intelligence (AI) and human effort. Participants must be 18 years of age or older to participate in this research study. Those who complete the study will receive a $20 compensation and $10 for exit interview. Learn more here:
1) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Listserv Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-listserv-directory.html
2) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Podcast Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-podcast-directory.html
➜ Buy, Sell or Trade
1) FOR SALE: One Focus 14 Blue 5th Gen Braille DisplayListing Date: 6/17/2021 | Price: $600.00 USD | Condition: Gently Used. | Description: One gently used 14-Cell Bluetooth Braille Display in excellent condition. | Contact: email@example.com ✉ |
2) FOR SALE: One Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Ad (Just like this one.)Price: $5.00 USD | Description: List your new, gently-used or refurbished item in FOUR (4) consecutive issues of Top Tech Tidbits for just $5.00 USD. | Buy an Ad: Fill out this short 10-step form ✔ to secure your Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Advertisement today. | Learn more at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/buy-sell-trade.html 🌐 |
Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor Classified Ads:
➜ Training to Fit Your Needs
Do you have a device you just don't understand? Do you want to advance your skills on a certain platform? Let Commtech help you out! From phones to note takers to computers and everything in between, let Commtech give you the skills you need to succeed. For more information, call (833) 345-8324 ☎ EXT 700 or visit our website:
Sponsor Since: April 22nd 2021
Website: https://commtechusa.net/ 🌐
Phone: (833) 345-8324 ☎
About: Commtech USA, a division of Commtech LLC is a Phoenix based national assistive technology company, with locations in Bakersfield CA. We deliver unmatched information technology and assistive technology consultations, training and support. Founded in 2005 as a government vendor fulfilling a vast range of technology needs of federal and state government clients, Commtech USA has expanded to meet the needs of businesses as well as individuals, with office locations across the nation. No issue is too large or too small for our staff, Commtech USA is the on call technology staff you call when you have tried the rest but need the best!
Download The App (iOS):
Download The App (Android):
➜ Freedom Scientific Focus Blue 5th Generation Refreshable Braille Displays
Our world-class refreshable Braille displays deliver efficient Braille input and outstanding output for your PC or mobile device. The robust Bluetooth® connectivity provides seamless use with Windows®, Mac®, iPhones®, iPads®, and AndroidTM smartphones and tablets. Ergonomic navigation features allow quick, natural hand movements for greater productivity. When used with JAWS® screen reading software, they support our popular Braille Study Mode, an interactive tool for teaching and learning Braille. Learn more today:
Sponsor Since: April 15th 2021
Website: https://www.freedomscientific.com/ 🌐
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
Phone: (800) 444-4443 ☎
About: Freedom Scientific, a Vispero brand, is a leading worldwide brand of assistive technology products for those with vision impairments. We offer products designed to promote independence, allowing blind and low vision individuals the same access to information as their sighted peers. World-renowned JAWS (Job Access With Speech) screen reading software and ZoomText screen magnification software provide users the independence and ability to seek education and obtain or maintain a career after vision loss. Our expansive product line includes both low vision and blindness technology for all aspects of daily living. The wide range of RUBY, TOPAZ, and ONYX desktop and portable video magnifiers are designed for their ease of use and assist with daily activities. Our impressive line of blindness hardware products include refreshable Braille displays and scanning and reading devices, offering many options tailored to fit individual needs.
➜ VisionAware Resources: The Benefits of Working: Navigating SSI/SSDI While Seeking Employment
Join Karen Shrawder for an interactive presentation on June 14th 2021 at 4:00 PM Eastern about the benefits of becoming employed for recipients of Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and/or beneficiaries of Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) including: an overview of work incentives and helpful hints for overcoming challenges such as overpayments at:
Sponsor Since: March 4th 2021
Website: https://aphconnectcenter.org/ 🌐
Email: email@example.com ✉
APH ConnectCenter Information and Referral Line:
Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM ET
About: The APH ConnectCenter offers curated advice and resources to assist children, parents, adults, and job seekers who are blind or visually impaired, and their associated professionals, leading to greater independence and success in their lives.
➜ BRAILLIANT Renewed! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series is here!
The wait is over! A redefined family of Brailliant refreshable Braille displays has arrived! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series will help you stay connected, download books from many participating online libraries and share information easily with your peers. You will enjoy the intuitive, seamless user experience of KeySoft Lite, the HumanWare flagship accessibility suite designed to make you more productive. Including the Brailliant BI 40X and the Brailliant BI 20X, this is the Brailliant idea you need!
Sponsor Since: February 4th 2021
Website: http://humanware.com/ 🌐
Phone (Asia): +61 2 9686 2600 ☎
YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRWVYiggn-w 🎥
About: HumanWare is the global leader in assistive technology for people who are blind or have low vision. HumanWare offers a wide range of innovative products, including the BrailleNote Touch, first Google certified braille tablet, the iOS compatible Brailliant braille displays, Victor Reader®, the world's leading family of digital audiobook players, the unique Prodigi® family of desktop and portable vision and reading systems, and the ultra-portable explore line of electronic handheld magnifier.
➜ Everyone Can Have an Amazing Customer Experience with SuperNova Kiosks!
Dolphin creates customized kiosk solutions for every type of service kiosk and every level of vision loss--and that's a win for your service or brand! If you're a business owner or someone who's struggling to access a service via a kiosk, spread the word! Check out this introductory audio/video demonstration highlighting the benefits of Dolphin SuperNova Kiosks!
Sponsor Since: January 28th 2021
Website: https://yourdolphin.com/ 🌐
Phone (USA & Canada): +1 (866) 797-5921 ☎
Phone (UK, Europe & Asia): +44 01905 754577 ☎
Phone (Nordic & Baltic Contries): +46 0515 82175 ☎
Download a FREE 30-Day Trial of GuideConnect
Download a FREE 30-Day Trial of SuperNova
About: Dolphin Computer Access offers a wide array of solutions for students, people in the workforce, and at home who are blind, visually impaired or have dyslexia. Each product is purposefully designed to help users, with varying levels of technology experience, do everyday things EASILY on computers and tablets. Founded in 1986 and located in Worcester England, Dolphin has grown to become a global market leader worldwide.
➜ Accessible Pharmacy Joins Be My Eyes
Accessible Pharmacy, the new, home delivery pharmacy with a blind founder, is bringing its full range of support and services to Be My Eyes. Users of the Be My Eyes app can now call Accessible Pharmacy directly to get support with medication, medical devices, and even home delivery COVID testing. With a fully trained and discreet pharmacy staff on call from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM Pacific, Accessible Pharmacy is the new way for blind and low vision consumers to get an easy, frictionless pharmacy experience. Call today — and you'll never have to take an Uber to the drugstore again.
Lead Contact: Will Butler, VP of Community
Sponsor Since: November 5th 2020
Website: https://www.bemyeyes.com/ 🌐
Download The App (iOS):
Download The App (Android):
About: Be My Eyes is a free mobile app that allows anyone who needs video support to get assistance from a dynamic range of volunteers and company customer support professionals from around the world. With more than 4 million volunteers and dozens of companies offering on-demand visual interpretation and support, Be My Eyes is a free, unlimited way to bridge gaps and get access to whatever information you need — 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in any language. Download the app today from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
➜ LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired Adaptations Online Store Featured Products
Revolution Cane Tip: Standard Roller Tip: $14.50 | Locator Dots: Small Pack of 6 (Clear or Orange): $2.00 | NFB Metal Cane Tip: $3.00 | TMAP - On Demand Tactile Street | Map (set of two maps): $25.00 | Ambutech Aluminum Folding Cane: $35.00 | NFB Chris Park Telescoping Cane: $45.00 | BoldWriter 20 Pen (Individual or 6-pack): $2.00 | Bump Dots: Mixed (50 count): $7.00 | Braille Apple Catalina VoiceOver Guide OSX 10.15 (3 volumes) - Latest Manual: $52.00 | SpeedDots iPhone Tactile Screen Protector, Phone Layout: $12.00 | NFB Chris Park 7-Piece Folding Cane: $50.00 | Visit https://adaptations.org/ to learn more today!
Sponsor Since: October 1, 2020
Website: https://adaptations.org/ 🌐
Toll Free: (888) 400-8933 ☎
Local: (415) 694-7301 ☎
About: Founded in 1902, San Francisco's LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired promotes the independence, equality and self-reliance of people who are blind or have low vision. Adaptations is your online go-to for tools, technology, and accessible solutions for blind and visually impaired people.
➜ Build A Foundational Understanding Of Construction And Electronics With BRIC: Structures® Access Kit From APH - An Adapted Version Of An Educational Elenco® Product For Students Who Are Blind And Visually Impaired!
The BRIC: Structures® Access Kit combines ordinary building bricks with Snap Circuits® to create 26 projects, such as circuits and real-world structures, that run on electricity. Visit https://www.aph.org/product/bric-structures-access-kit/ to learn more.
Sponsor Since: July 2nd 2020
Website: https://www.aph.org/ 🌐
Toll Free and Customer Support: (800) 223-1839 ☎
Phone: (512) 895-2405 ☎
Fax: (512) 899-2284 ░
YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/WENRlCNDsxQ 🎥
Free Apps & Actions from APH: https://www.aph.org/free-apps-from-aph/ 📱
About: Since 1858, the American Printing House for the Blind has operated in Louisville, Kentucky as the world's largest nonprofit organization, creating accessible learning experiences through educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are blind and visually impaired. APH believes that the future belongs to everyone. By offering innovative products and services, APH opens up a door of opportunities for lifelong independence and success.
➜ GuideLights and Gadgets Invites You to Listen, Learn and Buy from our Selection of Leather, Gadgets, and Dog Products
(1) Our first summer convention weekly special: 1 of 8: New 6 pocket leather waist pack, 15 by 7 by 5 inches, 6 pockets, 50 inch strap, $35. (2) Our new hands free 6 pocket rugged cowhide leather neck pouch will fit any phone, and a whole lot more. Can go on your belt or carry crossbody. 7 by 5 by 4 inches. $40.00. (3) Craddle your 20 cell Braille display with Our unique leather case that feels like a thick book; middle zipper, carrying strap; no Braille display ever felt so much love! $60. Call Barry: (617) 969-7500 ☎ / firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ or visit: https://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/.
Sponsor Since: June 25th 2020
Website: http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/ 🌐
About: Our Scope of Products: We specialize in 3 lines of products, all intended to assist in access to adaptive electronics, enhance experiences for guide dog teams, and offer practical solutions for organization and travel with a variety of leather bags, pouches, and backpacks. Then there are the random products that are included, just for fun! We enjoy working with our customers 1-on-1 to their money is well spent and not wasted on something they may not use. In thinking about our customers and whether we will carry a product our guiding motto is that it must be: practical, affordable, simple, tested, and accessible (the pasta principle) and it seems to work very well.
What We Do: We bring our business either via zoom, phone, or to your conference or convention, to give each customer a chance for questions and where possible, "hands on" evaluation of the merchandise. Kae and I test and use each product as blind users before we put it in our catalog. In the case of products for guide and service dogs, our own three guides, Thor, Debra and Melody, are engaged in the process of evaluating the usefulness, durability, and/or fun of the product. We want each of our products to be useful, accessible, afforable, and, whenever possible, fun! Our inventory is constantly changing, so a visit to us is never the same experience twice!
➜ Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub
If you're like me, you probably have more things to plug into your computer than available ports. That's why we've now added the Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub. Plug it into your laptop and you will get 3 USB ports, SD and Micro SD card slots, a USBC charging port, and an HDMI video port. It's available now for just $29.95:
Sponsor Since: June 11th 2020
Website: https://www.atguys.com/ 🌐
Phone: (269) 216-4798 ☎
Email: email@example.com ✉
Skype: atguys ✆
Twitter: https://twitter.com/atguys (@atguys) ✍
Facebook: https://facebook.com/atguys ✍
About: ATGuys.com. Your access technology experts, home for cool gadgets, accessories, and more. Our products are all tested to work great for blind and visually impaired users but also work just as well for anyone. If there's an item you're looking for, or if you have a question, please don't hesitate to send us a message or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
➜ Voice Training
Would you like to learn to control your computer with your voice, or to create documents using your voice rather than the keyboard? There are several tools to accomplish these objectives. I can provide training in their use. Write to me if interested at:
Editor, Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
Website: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/ 🌐
About: Dean Martineau is the Founder and a Contributing Editor to the Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter.
➜ 3 Easy Steps To Accessible Shared Content For Your Remote Presentations: Rid Digital Darkness For Blind Attendee's Forever!
It's as easy as 1-2-3. Upload content... Copy a link... and paste the link in chat. Attendees never wonder what's shared on screen during online presentations. Upload slides within 5 minutes of presenting. Attendees can download content in multiple formats to view later. Eliminate digital darkness at your next online event with Scribe for Meetings. Get in on our, "Accessible Meetings and webinars for Life," introductory offer. Reseller opportunities available to expand your businesses accessibility offerings.
Sponsor Since: June 3rd 2021
Website: https://pneumasolutions.com/ 🌐
Email Newsletter: Click here to receive periodic news via email concerning Pneuma Solutions products for business, consumers and education.
Sales: (866) 202-0520 ☎
Support: (650) 249-1000 ☎
About: Backed by two decades of creating award-winning accessible cloud technologies for people with visual impairments, Pneuma Solutions is the global leader in accessible cloud-based solutions. Pneuma Solutions was founded by long-time accessibility developers Mike Calvo and Matt Campbell. For more information on their individual profiles, click on their respective bio pages. We're proud to be the first company to develop cloud-based accessibility at the network level. Our tools provide organizations, like yours, a way to deliver secure, accessible information right from your network or from our secure servers. You can provide your print disabled consumers, students, employees, and citizens with a multitude of accessible options. Additionally, we offer a suite of cloud-based applications to blind and print disabled consumers directly from our website. Our consumer products are designed to make the day-to-day lives of blind and print disabled individuals more accessible and simpler to manage. Access to information is not a privilege, it's a right. It's also your right to obtain affordable, accessible cloud solutions to serve your end user. When organizations like yours implement our tools, together we help make it a more inclusive world for people with disabilities. Want to know more about how we can help you become more inclusive?
Contact us here. We'll be happy to discuss how our tools can help with your accessibility needs.
Top Tech Tidbits is the world's leading adaptive technology publication that reaches over 10,000 adaptive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts, all over the world, each week.
Top Tech Tidbits offers a total of 12 Sponsorship Packages which are used to support the ongoing distribution of the publication.
There are 0 of 12 packages currently available.
If you would like to become a Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor, but there are no sponsorship packages currently available, we encourage you to join our waiting list by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉.
Once you have joined our waiting list we will notify you the next time a current sponsor decides not to renew. You will then have 72 hours to secure your sponsorship before it is offered to the next sponsor on the list.
When available you can secure one of these packages for just $325.00 USD for the next 3 months, or save $100.00 USD and join us for the year. All Sponsorship Packages are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Please help us to support the ongoing distribution of this publication. Consider showing your support for the world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology while enjoying these incredible benefits. Learn more today at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
Top Tech Tidbits Supporters:
We couldn't do it without you! Thank you for your support!
Tidbits Supporters donate an amount of their choosing on an annual basis in order to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication.
If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support.
In tandem with Our Sponsors, these are the people that make the ongoing distribution of Tidbits possible:
1.) Gary Lee
2.) Anonymous Donation
3.) Pshon Barrett
1.) Howard Goldstein
2.) David Goldstein
3.) Katherine Crohan
1.) Your name here. Help support Tidbits today.
1.) Steven Wettlaufer
2.) Shaun Everiss
Top Tech Tidbits Subscription Information:
ABOUT:Founded in 2004, Top Tech Tidbits is a leading Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 10,000 assistive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week. Sign up here. Review the archive here. Adaptive Technology refers to items that are specifically designed for people with disabilities. Adaptive Technology is a subset of Assistive Technology. Adaptive Technology often refers specifically to electronic and information technology access. Top Tech Tidbits is a Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication. Publisher: Aaron Di Blasi. Contributing Editors: John Hanlin, Jenna Lang. Top Tech Tidbits is a sponsor and reader supported publication.
RELEASE SCHEDULE:Top Tech Tidbits is released every Thursday morning at 4:00 AM ET.
SUBSCRIBE:Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive the Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to receive the Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter on the Top Tech Tidbits Website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com. Either of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving the Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter. It's that easy.
SPONSOR:If you would like to become 1 of only 18 Top Tech Tidbits Sponsors whose annual support makes the distribution of Top Tech Tidbits possible, we offer you the following benefits, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://toptechtidbits.com/sponsor.
SUPPORT:If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://toptechtidbits.com/donate.
WEBSITE:Visit the Top Tech Tidbits website online at https://www.toptechtidbits.com.
FACEBOOK:Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Facebook News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/facebook.
X (FORMERLY TWITTER):Are you on X? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your X News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/x.
MASTODON:Are you on Mastodon? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Mastodon News Feed by visiting https://mastodon.toptechtidbits.com/@news or searching for @email@example.com on your server today.
LINKEDIN:Are you on LinkedIn? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your LinkedIn News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/linkedin.
YOUTUBE:Are you on YouTube? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your YouTube Video Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/youtube.
RSS:Do you prefer RSS? Follow Top Tech Tidbits via RSS today to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology using your choice of news aggregator: https://toptechtidbits.com/rss.
QUESTIONS:Tidbits are intentionally concise. As a result we know that some readers may not always understand all of the items listed because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVEVisit the Top Tech Tidbits Archive at: https://toptechtidbits.com/archive where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT CONTRIBUTORS:Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be submitted online via our Top Tech Tidbit Submission Form at: https://toptechtidbits.com/submit-tidbit or directed to our Editors at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Home: Top Tech Tidbits||News: Top Tech Tidbits||Podcast: Top Tech Tidbits||Subscribe: Top Tech Tidbits||Donate: Top Tech Tidbits||Facebook: Top Tech Tidbits||X: Top Tech Tidbits||Mastodon: Top Tech Tidbits||LinkedIn: Top Tech Tidbits||YouTube: Top Tech Tidbits||RSS: Top Tech Tidbits||Back to Top|
Information provided by: