Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, June 24, 2021 - Volume 812
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication
Top Tech Tidbits. The world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology.
This Week's Featured Advertisement: GuideLights And Gadgets New Products and Convention Specials!
GuideLights And Gadgets New Products and Convention Specials. (1) Our unique solution for 20 cell Braille displays; The I Love My Display Protective folio: it's a concealed weapon case converted to securely holding and protecting your display in the middle of a heavy leather book sized case; best of all, you can even use it in the case, $70.00. (2) New Leather waist pack for BS 6 and other 32 cell displays; 17.5 inches long; $35 on special. (3) We Found It: The durable aluminum 7 section telescopic cane is here, and it won't collapse on you; 48 & 59 inch lengths, good polymer tips, (2 of them) $50.00. (4) Our accurate talking thermometer and BP meter; $50 each; (5) Our new hands free cowhide Gadget neck pouch; 5x4x7, 5 pockets, 700 people loved the first one, $40.00. (6) Our Evo 10 Stream alternative, over $150 cheaper, with a better speaker, clearer and louder voices4 No Bard, but Internet radio, an editor allowing you to edit your recordings very quickly. (7) Harness light strips; on special for $20, and (8# Dog toys: 25 to 75 percent off. Ask about toy bundles, too. Lots more. It's a haul for all. Call Barry at (617) 969-7500 ☎ or email firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ or phone Kae at: (781) 286-1696 ☎. Come drop by our Zoom room and learn more about how we do a lot of hands-free source products. Barry, Kae, Melody, and Debra. http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us.
Dear Tidbits Subscriber,
1) Top 5 Most Clicked Tidbits From Last WeekA.) 8 iPhone Accessibility Features for People With Vision Problems: (8.7% of all clicks.)
B.) Some iOS 15 Features Require an iPhone XS or Newer: (5.8% of all clicks.)
C.) How to Fix Windows 10 with a 30-Minute Repair Install: (5.3% of all clicks.)
D.) What Stevie Wonder Can Teach The World About Accessible Design: (4.9% of all clicks.)
E.) New Version of Braille Blaster: (4.0% of all clicks.)
2) Calling All Gamers | Top Tech Tidbits Launches Blind and Visually Impaired Technology Game DirectoryTidbits readers need your help. They want to know what games they should be playing. And not just for accessibility, but for pure enjoyment. This is the goal behind the new Top Tech Tidbits BVI Technology Game Directory. Each of the games listed in the Directory will be submitted directly by Top Tech Tidbits readers. Each of the games listed in the Directory will be ranked by number of "endorsements". A game receives a single "endorsement" each time it is submitted to the Directory. So the more times that a game is submitted to the Directory the more "endorsements" it receives. Games will be listed by number of "endorsements" in descending order. Each of the games listed in the Directory will also be ranked for accessibility on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being "Completely Inaccessible", and 10 being "Completely Accessible". These rankings will represent an average of the rankings provided by those readers who have submitted the game to the Directory. Each of the games listed in the Directory will also be ranked for enjoyment on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being "No fun at all." and 10 being "Best game I've ever played." These rankings will represent an average of the rankings provided by those readers who have submitted the game to the Directory. So if you are a blind or visually impaired gamer and you play a game that you would like to tell other blind or visually impaired gamers about, please submit your game to the Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Technology Game Directory today by filling out this short form:
3) Hadley Staying Connected Series | Telling TimeIt's happened to all of us. A good friend you haven't spoken to in a while phoned out of the blue. You were having such a great time catching up, that you lost all track of time. The problem is, you ended up 20 minutes late for an appointment. If only you'd had an audible reminder, or discrete alarm, you could've ended the call and made it on time. Keeping track of time is essential to move through your day smoothly. And the more ways you have to tell time, the better:
4) 3 Tips For More Accessible Social MediaOrganizations that want to stay relevant and respected must embrace inclusivity. But inclusivity and accessibility are connected, especially on social media. Here are three tips to bring your social media program up to speed with these expectations:
5) Accessible Games Now Available in GuideConnectA free update to GuideConnect 1.17, rolled out on June 7th 2021, includes three new accessible games, the ability to browse and read books from Calibre Audio, plus a host of improvements for reading emails, visiting websites and more:
6) OrCam Read, A Handheld AI-Driven Reading Pen by OrCam Technologies Recently Named A Finalist in the Assistive Technology Category of the EdTech AwardsOrCam Read, a handheld AI-driven reading pen by OrCam Technologies, was recently named a finalist in the assistive technology category of the EdTech Awards, the largest and most competitive recognition program in all of education technology. The device was also named an honoree in the "Accessibility" category of the 2021 CES Innovation Awards. If you have questions such as, "Is it right for me?," How does it differ from other reading pens and apps for low vision?," or "Is it worth the investment?," they have published a blog post titled, "5 Things To Consider Before Buying the OrCam Read Reading Pen" to address consumer questions and concerns:
7) NVDA 2021.1 Beta4 Available for TestingNew features are becoming more stable. It is best to install from the release announcement if you have an earlier beta on your system:
8) Changes Coming to ACB RadioThere's a lot on the horizon for followers of ACB Radio. On July 1st 2021 they will announce the launch of the ACB Media Network, which will be the go to place for all of ACB's digital media video and audio channels. In addition, they are also sharing a very important update launching on June 27th 2021 for those who listen to ACB Radio using an Alexa-enabled device. In an effort to modernize ACB radio's live streams, The American Council of the Blind will be updating its popular Alexa skills. This new skill will provide greater ease of access with minimal technical hiccups:
9) 9 Ways to Open a Word Document Without WordDid you just download or receive a Microsoft Word document on your desktop or mobile device but you don't have Word installed? Don't let that DOC or DOCX extension freak you out. You have many ways to open and edit the file without having to shell out for an Office 365 subscription. For instance, did you know that Office Online lets you work with any Word document free of charge? Or that you can use open-source software such as OpenOffice and LibreOffice for a Word-like experience offline? Here's a rundown of the best methods to open and edit Word documents on any device without having Microsoft Word installed:
10) Improve The Audio Muting Capabilities of Your Browser With Smart MuteSmart Mute is a browser extension for Google Chrome that extends the audio muting functionality of the browser. While designed for Chrome, it does install and work fine in other Chromium-based browsers such as Microsoft Edge. Chrome users have one default option when it comes to controlling audio in the browser. A right-click on a tab displays the context menu option "mute site" which stops audio playback for the entire site. Google changed the option some years ago from muting individual tabs to muting the entire site. Extensions such as Tab Muter may be used to bring back tab muting in Chrome:
11) Hack: How To Get Two Free Months of Microsoft 365 Family or PersonalA little-known trick might get you two extra months of Microsoft 365 Personal or Family for no charge:
12) All The Best New iOS 15 Features That Apple Didn't Reveal at WWDCA list of some of the best new iOS 15 features that Apple didn't mention:
13) How Do I Move Thunderbird to a New Computer?https://askleo.com/how_do_i_move_my_thunderbirdbased_email_from_one_machine_to_another/
14) New Facebook Group "Victor Reader Products From Humanware" Moderated By David GoldfieldThis new Facebook Group is for anyone to discuss Humanware's line of Victor Reader products. This can include the Victor Reader Stream first and second generation, the Victor Reader Trek, the Victor Reader Stratus and even the Humanware Companion software as it relates to these products. Reminiscing about older Victor products such as the Victor Vibe and the Victor Wave are also fine. If you're on Facebook just search for the group "Victor Reader Products From Humanware" and you are sure to find it. Or you can use the link below. Please note that David Goldfield is not a Humanware employee and this group is not an official support channel with Humanware. However, it is his hope that users will feel free to ask questions and offer support on using these products:
15) RNIB Tech Talk PodcastThis page contains links to each epsode of this popular weekly series and podcast:
16) Google Gets New Rival as Brave Search Opens to the PublicThis CNET article explains that Brave, makers of a privacy-focused browser, is now starting a search engine:
17) Progress in JAWS Voice AssistantSharkey is becoming more and more useful. Various sections in the What's New Guide Update Us On Its Capabilities
18) How to Convert a Word Document to a PowerPoint PresentationThis comes from How-To Geek and might be worth a try:
19) F6 Is Your FriendA brief summary of all you can do with the F6 key in various plays, courtesy of Blind Access Journal:
20) A Review of the Brailliant BI 20XHumanWare's 20-cell device has a few features besides the number of cells that distinguish it from the 40-cell version:
21) LibreOffice 7.1.4 Community Available For DownloadOn June 10th 2021 LibreOffice 7.1.4 Community, the fourth minor release of the LibreOffice 7.1 family, targeted at technology enthusiasts and power users, became available for download. LibreOffice 7.1.4 includes around 80 bug fixes, with 20% focused on Microsoft Office file compatibility (DOCX, XLSX and PPTX, and legacy DOCs):
22) Release of Acapela TTS Voices for NVDA 1.7http://www.acapela-nvda.com/blog/2021/06/14/release-of-acapela-tts-voices-for-nvda-1-7/
➜ Press Releases and Other News
1) 'Isolation to Inspiration' by Writing Works Wonders Author-Educators Cheryl McNeil Fisher and Kathleen P. KingThe story of two author-educators experiencing sight-loss, who find a common vision of-encouraging, inspiring, and accelerating writers' sharing and development through a global platform for author interviews, virtual workshops, open mic events and more. Readers also enjoy the opportunity to interact with some of their favorite authors, such as Dr. Patrick Taylor, Jodi Thomas, Pamela Kelley and beloved narrator Kristin Allison:
2) Even Easier Braille: Introducing BrailleBlaster V2!BrailleBlaster V2 is a near-complete rewrite of how the software functions. It is a step that we had to take to include new features that could not be included otherwise- like true six-key entry and indicators for braille page number editing. It will also help us control regression and ensure stability. Learn more:
3) Letter Rooms is a canstfiat Jumbled-Word Game For iOSLooking for a fun brain-teaser this weekend? Letter Rooms is a letter-jumblingly fun word game created by award-winning developer Klemens Strasser, maker of Subwords, Asymmetric and Elementary Minute. The new $1.99 anagram-based game boasts more than 200 puzzles, broken down into a dozen topics — including animals, sports, pop culture, and more. Letter Rooms makes use of VoiceOver which translates the content users see on the screen into spoken words. In the case of Letter Rooms, it allows users to play the game even if they can't see the screen contents clearly:
4) 5 Innovations in Assistive Technology to Keep on Your RadarIn recent years, several innovative advances have emerged at the hands of tech companies and university programs:
5) Amazon Kindle Unlimited Has A New 4 Month Free Trial For US CustomersPrime members who are new to Kindle Unlimited get four months free with a new subscription. Kindle Unlimited readers can read as much as they want from an ever-growing selection of over 2 million eBooks, thousands of audiobooks, comics, short reads, and magazines, including blockbuster titles like The Hunger Games trilogy, The Other Emily by Dean Koontz, Drown Her Sorrows by Melinda Leigh, In Her Tracks by Robert Dugoni, and Take the Lead by Jessica Simpson. This deal is for customers living in the United States:
6) Microsoft, Academy Awards, Be My Eyes and Others Recipients of First Annual 'Access-Ability Awards' from Helen Keller Services During DeafBlind Awareness WeekTexttoreplace.
8) Calgary Teen Who is Visually Impaired Wins Award for Designing Adaptive Skateboard Park (Video)A Calgary teen is being recognized by the City of Calgary for his work to make skate parks more accessible for youth with vision loss:
9) Judge Rules For Blind Voters In NC Accessibility CaseA federal judge has ruled that the North Carolina State Board of Elections must give blind voters the opportunity to use an online voting system so they can vote absentee without assistance:
10) 5 Smart Thermostats Starting At Just $68 That All Use Amazon Alexahttps://bgr.com/deals/smart-thermostat-with-alexa-on-amazon-5-inexpensive-options-5932793/
11) Street Furniture 'Forcing Blind and Visually Impaired People Onto Roadways'Outdoor dining is making navigation extremely difficult for the visually impaired, according to the Irish Guide Dogs for the Blind:
➜ Featured Podcast Episodes
1) 13 Letters | When Everybody's WatchingJune 17th 2021
Access to television is in many ways still evolving, and as one of the leading TV, phone and internet providers in the United States, Spectrum is thinking beyond closed captions and large-button remotes to innovate across different channels. Their large accessibility team, headed by designers and incorporating people with disabilities to ensure that all products are optimized for all customers, is one of a kind in the industry. And with the recent release of apps such as Spectrum Access and Spectrum News, they've taken huge steps forward in inclusion for people with many different abilities and proficiencies. We sat down with Senior Outreach Manager for Accessibility, Petr Kucheryavy, to learn more about how got into accessibility and what Spectrum is doing different:"
2) Blind Android Users 28 | Its All About Audio Recorders and Interview with Brian Kemler, Product Manager for TalkbackJune 19th 2021 |This is a very important episode for Talkback users, but it has something for CSR users as well. In this episode we demo some audio recorder apps. This week, we are absolutely thrilled to be joined to talk about all things Talkback by Brian Kemler, Product Manager for Talkback at Google. We ask him many questions about the trusted tester program, multi-finger jestures, and lots more. To listen to this episode and all previous episodes, visit:
3) Mosen At Large 133June 19th 2021 Childhood radio memories, Non-24, What do you want in Windows 11 and more:
4) That Real Blind Tech Show 40 | Just In Time For Prime Day, A Review Of Three New Products From SatechiJune 20th 2021
Brian is back once again flying solo for another demo, this time he will be demoing three new products from Satechi. With Amazon Prime Day starting in a few hours, some of Satechi's products may be on sale on Amazon. If not, you can buy these products directly from Satechi, and they often have sales on these items:
5) Parallel #53: Android 12June 22nd 2021
As usual this podcast features accessible and mainstream perspectives on Android 12:
6) Say My Meme | The Dog ShowJune 22nd 2021
What do you think of when you hear the words "Dog Show"? Maybe you've seen the Christopher Guest cult classic film "Best in Show," but if not, you might not have much of a reference point for this somewhat obscure subculture. That's why, inspired by the recent return of the Westminster Dog Show, the Say My Meme team went to work describing a handful of Dog Show Memes to let everyone in on the fun — and absurdity — that is the classic dog show:"
7) FSCast #201June 23rd 2021
Hear about a new book on audio description, and the creative exploits of a blind math professor:
8) Eyes on Success 2126 | Encore of 1351 Regaining Vision After Decades of BlindnessJune 23rd 2021
Hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey speak with Mike May, the subject of "Crashing Through", a bestselling book about his experiences regaining partial vision through a stem cell transfer and corneal transplant. Having lost his vision initially at age 3, his visual cortex was only partially developed. He had to learn some things he never knew and how to use what new vision he got:
➜ Featured Webinars, Training Courses and Events
1) Deaf Student Access: Tips & Resources for Reopening CampusJune 24th 2021 | 12PM PT, 1PM MT, 2PM CT, 3PM ET, 7PM GMT | Join the NDC | Help Team for this live presentation covering the most frequently asked questions about access and accommodations in a variety of formats. Though COVID-19 cases seem to be going down with rising vaccination rates, the fall 2021 semester will still be littered with uncertainty. Schools are planning for a variety of class formats — in-person, online, hybrid. Planning for all the different options also includes designing accessible environments. Register here:
2) Mac by the Bit (Session 2) Simple, Basic, Practices and ProceduresJune 24th 2021 | 5PM PT, 6PM MT, 7PM CT, 8PM ET, 12 AM GMT on 6/25 | Mac by the Bit, Session 2 will start with some basics, the different styles of Mac's, how to turn them on, shut them down properly, the keyboard layout, and 20 Minutes or so of Q&A. We may even point a few miner similarities between MacOS, and Windows. Come with your questions ready, and to continue on this journey of learning the Mac from the ground up, bit by bit. To join at the scheduled time, click here:
3) Windows Narrator: Is it a Viable Screen Reader?June 24th 2021 | 11AM PT, 12PM MT, 1PM CT, 2PM ET, 6PM GMT | Call (312) 809-1004 ☎. For information email:
4) The Network of Assistive Technologists Welcome Donald Carney, PhD, from Math WhiteboardJune 25th 2021 | 10:30AM PT, 11:30AM MT, 12:30PM CT, 1:30PM ET, 5:30 PM GMT | MathWhiteboard is the first online collaborative whiteboard designed specifically for the teaching and learning of Mathematics. MathWhiteboard is like a smart piece of math paper with all of the functionality of a graphing calculator. Since it recognizes handwritten math notation, teachers and students can interact in a natural and familiar way. A gestural user interface allows users to move fluidly between multiple mathematical representations. The development of MathWhiteboard has been supported in part by the National Science Foundation, National Institutes of Health, and US Department of Education:
5) Select the Right Tech, App Edition by The Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired of San FranciscoJune 25th 2021 | 1PM PT, 2PM MT, 3PM CT, 4PM ET, 8PM GMT | The Lighthouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired of San Francisco offers a three-hour Zoom forum where six developers of a variety of apps will be present. Back by popular demand, Select the Right Tech connects access technology users with the companies who make products for our community. This year's virtual Select the Right Tech will feature developers of mainstream and specialized apps for the blind and low vision community. Don't miss this chance to ask your questions to the makers of the apps you love, and to learn about apps you haven't tried yet. A schedule of the day's presentations will be published the week prior to the event, RSVP now to receive the Zoom invite. This event is free and open to all, those who RSVP in advance will be eligible to win door prizes! LightHouse thanks Oracle for their generous sponsorship of this event. Register here:
6) The Road Ahead: Career Readiness for Middle School Students | APH WebinarJune 25th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | The employment rate for individuals with visual impairments is approximately 37% and remains relatively unchanged for decades. The Road Ahead webinar series guides educators to move beyond triaged transition planning with the goal of changing the trajectory for all students. Attend this webinar to better understand what is meant by career readiness skills for middle school age students, identify ways to guide students to discover suitable careers, and how to embed career readiness skills within all areas of the Expanded Core Curriculum:
7) 1st World Blindness Summit 2021June 25th 2021 through June 30th 2021 | You are hereby invited to the first World Blindness Summit, an online and fully accessible event from June 25th to 30th 2021, open to everyone. What is the World Blindness Summit 21? This is a cutting-edge and innovative event that embraces the benefits of technologies, creating the first global and accessible online conference. Why is it unique? Over 1,000 blind and partially sighted people from nearly 190 countries over the world will participate to share their experiences and practices developed over the past five years, and especially those implemented to cope with the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic in all spheres of life. Who can participate? Everyone is welcome to attend, to participate, to listen, to talk, and to share this unique experience. All events of the World Blindness Summit are available in English, French and Spanish. Why is it interesting to participate? The achievements and challenges experienced will be analyzed, priorities will be set in this new era beginning by working hard to prevent blind and partially sighted people from being left behind in the digital revolution that has made such great progress in the past months. On the other hand, new strategies will be worked on to give visibility to our reality and above all, to promote everything that contributes to the substantiation of a central goal: to create a new vision of blindness, to enable everyone to fully participate in all aspect of our society. You can check the program here: https://www.worldblindnesssummit.com/en/schedule/program. It is all free and you have to register here by 5th June:
8) TPGi Webinar: Undertaking JAWS Screen Reader Compatibility Testing in Real LifeJune 29th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | Experience a real-world scenario exhibiting the synergy between the JAWS screen reader and TPGi's JAWS compatibility testing tool, JAWS Inspect, as part of the accessibility QA process. Webinar attendees will observe the interaction between a real JAWS user struggling with a poorly designed web page and a TPGi accessibility tester making sense of the JAWS user's accessibility challenges via the power of JAWS Inspect:
9) Career Technical Education: More than Workshop Classes | APH WebinarJune 29th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | Think Career and Technical Education (CTE) is only vocational classes? Think again! Attend this webinar series and not only dispel misconceptions about CTE coursework, but also discover how students with Visual Impairments can actively engage in developing career specific skills with positive work outcomes:
10) Reaping the Benefits! Using Reaper Audio Workstation, OSARA and JAWS for WindowsJune 30th 2021 | 11AM PT, 12PM MT, 1PM CT, 2PM ET, 6PM GMT, 7PM UK | This £80 / $112 USD course is suited to anyone who has an interest in creating or working with audio content. You should be familiar with how JAWS functions together with Windows concepts, such as how to navigate around applications. The course is fast-paced. There will be plenty of opportunities to ask questions regarding the topics under discussion, however this is achieved in a structured manner. This ensures that you can focus on learning the concepts being taught. All of your remaining questions answered here:
11) Envision's First Town Hall EventJuly 1st 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | You can join this event via Clubhouse, Twitter Spaces or Zoom on Thursday, July 1st 2021 at 12:00 PM ET. Here is the Zoom registration link:
And here is the Clubhouse link:
12) National Association of Guide Dog Users 2021 Annual SeminarJuly 6th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | The seminar committee has been working hard to ensure that our seminar will be filled with great information, and of course our traditional door prizes. This year's theme is "Celebrating Puppy Raisers Everywhere." In addition, the seminar will feature a veterinary piece, updates from guide dog training programs and our advocacy component will prepare everyone for this year's resolutions. The NAGDU annual business meeting will take place on Thursday, July 8th 2021, from 1:00 PM to 3:00 PM ET. During the business meeting we will hold our annual elections, hear from our legal department, and learn about all the things NAGDU has been up to over the past year. Please use the below link to register. Registration will close at midnight Eastern July 6. Remember, to be eligible for door prizes, you must register. We are looking forward to seeing everyone in July:
13) National Federation of the Blind 2021 National ConventionJuly 6th 2021 through July 10th 2021 | Register for free to attend the largest gathering of blind people and take advantage of the opportunity to network with thousands of blind role models, connect with leaders in the field of blindness, attend presentations on a variety of empowering topics, and learn about the latest in technology and innovation. Learn more and register here:
14) How To Fully Utilize Clubhouse, Facebook and Zoom | Technology User GroupJuly 10th 2021 | 7AM PT, 8AM MT, 9AM CT, 10AM ET, 2PM GMT | On Saturday, July 10th 2021, the Technology User Group prepares you to fully utilize Clubhouse Facebook and Zoom. Whether you attend Zoom meetings or pursue other avenues of socialization, we all want to share and enjoy the benefits that Zoom, Clubhouse and Facebook can bring. Unmuting a microphone at the wrong time or posting in the wrong edit field can be a humbling experience. Please join us as we help you to avoid mistakes and transform you into a master of your social universe. The presentation will be virtual and may be joined by calling (319) 527-4994 ☎. You do not have to RSVP for this event. The presentation will begin at 10:00 AM ET and last about 90 minutes. We look forward to meeting with you virtually on Saturday, July 10th, and hope that you will join us for other exciting events we have planned for 2021
15) 2021 ACB Virtual Conference and Convention | Registration Information and Browse Conference and Convention SessionsJuly 16th 2021 through July 23rd 2021 Registration is now open. If you wish, you can now browse the seminars, workshops, meetings, programs, and social events that are scheduled before you actually register. Registration will remain open to June 28, 2021, but before you register, there is an important task each of you must undertake if you plan on registering. ACB is moving ever closer to a singular login and password that will apply to all ACB websites and web-based functions. If you intend on registering for the convention this year, please go to https://members.acb.org/ to create your ACB account. Select "CREATE AN ACCOUNT" and complete the profile information requested. You will need to create a new username and password (if you wish, you can use the same username and password you used for past conventions when creating this new account). There is one exception: If you registered for the ACB Holiday Auction in December 2020, you have already created an account and you do not have to do so again. If you have problems or questions regarding this process, please call the Minnesota Finance Office at (612) 332-3242 ☎. You will use this new username and password when you register on or after May 20, 2021. To make sure you receive the most up to date information, subscribe to our convention announce list by sending a blank email to email@example.com ✉ or contact Janet Dickelman, convention coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ or by phone at (651) 428-5059 ☎.
1) NVDA Satisfaction Survey 2021Close Date: June 25th 2021 | NV Access are pleased to invite you to participate in the NVDA Satisfaction Survey 2021. As in previous years, this is a simple, three-question survey, open to NVDA users and testers around the world:
2) David Goldfield's 1st Annual 2021 Tech-VI Listserv Subscriber SurveyClose Date: June 30th 2021 | This is an invitation to provide your feedback about this list by taking our First Annual Tech-VI Subscriber Survey. This survey is completely anonymous. In fact, I have deliberately not asked for names and email addresses to allow participants to feel totally comfortable in providing both positive as well as constructive feedback. None of the questions require that you submit a response and most are ones where you can jot down your thoughts in a multiline edit field, giving you as much space as you would like to tell me what is working as well as how the list can be improved. Again, all submissions are anonymous and any question can be skipped. Just make sure that you activate the Submit button if you want your feedback to be seen. Comments will not be published to this or any other list:
3) PolyPad Braille Display Needs AssessmentClose Date: July 1st 2021 | Participants must be 18 years or older to participate and able to read braille. We hope that our research will lead to a high quality multi-lined braille display that can be used with a smartphone. Researchers will investigate the quality and usefulness of the product and use the information to improve the development of the device:
4) Access Technology in the WorkplaceClose Date: July 1st 2021 | Open Date: Now Open | Survey Information: a. The NRTC is recruiting people with blindness or low vision (age 21+) who are working or interested in working to be part of a 5-year study about access technology (AT) use, particularly in the workplace. Some questions we will seek answers to are: i. What AT do you most commonly use? ii. How do you decide whether to use a specific AT? iii. What are your AT challenges? iv. What AT do you need that isn't currently available? b. We want to know YOUR thoughts and experiences! Participation will involve completing multiple surveys to help us determine how AT use is changing over time. Fill out the online pre-screening survey to see if you qualify! 5. Survey Rewards Offered: a. if selected from this pre-screening survey, you'll receive a small gift card after completing each survey. Additionally, the NRTC will share study results with participants:
5) Paid Opportunity to Participate in a Research Study: Studying Tools to Manage and Share PicturesClose Date: July 16th 2021 | We are a group of researchers at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. We are conducting research to help blind people and people with visual impairments (BVI people) share pictures to social media free of private and sensitive information. We have designed a mobile App to let BVI users screen private and sensitive information of their about-to-share pictures using artificial intelligence (AI) and human effort. Participants must be 18 years of age or older to participate in this research study. Those who complete the study will receive a $20 compensation and $10 for exit interview. Learn more here:
1) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Listserv Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-listserv-directory.html
2) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Podcast Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-podcast-directory.html
3) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Game Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-game-directory.html
➜ Buy, Sell or Trade
1) FOR SALE: One Focus 14 Blue 5th Gen Braille DisplayListing Date: 6/17/2021 | Price: $600.00 USD | Condition: Gently Used. | Description: One gently used 14-Cell Bluetooth Braille Display in excellent condition. | Contact: email@example.com ✉ |
2) FOR SALE: One Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Ad (Just like this one.)Price: $5.00 USD | Description: List your new, gently-used or refurbished item in FOUR (4) consecutive issues of Top Tech Tidbits for just $5.00 USD. | Buy an Ad: Fill out this short 10-step form ✔ to secure your Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Advertisement today. | Learn more at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/buy-sell-trade.html 🌐 |
Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor Classified Ads:
➜ 3 Easy Steps To Accessible Shared Content For Your Remote Presentations: Rid Digital Darkness For Blind Attendee's Forever!
It's as easy as 1-2-3. Upload content... Copy a link... and paste the link in chat. Attendees never wonder what's shared on screen during online presentations. Upload slides within 5 minutes of presenting. Attendees can download content in multiple formats to view later. Eliminate digital darkness at your next online event with Scribe for Meetings. Get in on our, "Accessible Meetings and webinars for Life," introductory offer. Reseller opportunities available to expand your businesses accessibility offerings.
Sponsor Since: June 3rd 2021
Website: https://pneumasolutions.com/ 🌐
Email Newsletter: Click here to receive periodic news via email concerning Pneuma Solutions products for business, consumers and education.
Sales: (866) 202-0520 ☎
Support: (650) 249-1000 ☎
About: Backed by two decades of creating award-winning accessible cloud technologies for people with visual impairments, Pneuma Solutions is the global leader in accessible cloud-based solutions. Pneuma Solutions was founded by long-time accessibility developers Mike Calvo and Matt Campbell. For more information on their individual profiles, click on their respective bio pages. We're proud to be the first company to develop cloud-based accessibility at the network level. Our tools provide organizations, like yours, a way to deliver secure, accessible information right from your network or from our secure servers. You can provide your print disabled consumers, students, employees, and citizens with a multitude of accessible options. Additionally, we offer a suite of cloud-based applications to blind and print disabled consumers directly from our website. Our consumer products are designed to make the day-to-day lives of blind and print disabled individuals more accessible and simpler to manage. Access to information is not a privilege, it's a right. It's also your right to obtain affordable, accessible cloud solutions to serve your end user. When organizations like yours implement our tools, together we help make it a more inclusive world for people with disabilities. Want to know more about how we can help you become more inclusive?
Contact us here. We'll be happy to discuss how our tools can help with your accessibility needs.
➜ Training to Fit Your Needs
Do you have a device you just don't understand? Do you want to advance your skills on a certain platform? Let Commtech help you out! From phones to note takers to computers and everything in between, let Commtech give you the skills you need to succeed. For more information, call (833) 345-8324 ☎ EXT 700 or visit our website:
Sponsor Since: April 22nd 2021
Website: https://commtechusa.net/ 🌐
Phone: (833) 345-8324 ☎
About: Commtech USA, a division of Commtech LLC is a Phoenix based national assistive technology company, with locations in Bakersfield CA. We deliver unmatched information technology and assistive technology consultations, training and support. Founded in 2005 as a government vendor fulfilling a vast range of technology needs of federal and state government clients, Commtech USA has expanded to meet the needs of businesses as well as individuals, with office locations across the nation. No issue is too large or too small for our staff, Commtech USA is the on call technology staff you call when you have tried the rest but need the best!
Download The App (iOS):
Download The App (Android):
➜ Freedom Scientific Focus Blue 5th Generation Refreshable Braille Displays
Our world-class refreshable Braille displays deliver efficient Braille input and outstanding output for your PC or mobile device. The robust Bluetooth® connectivity provides seamless use with Windows®, Mac®, iPhones®, iPads®, and AndroidTM smartphones and tablets. Ergonomic navigation features allow quick, natural hand movements for greater productivity. When used with JAWS® screen reading software, they support our popular Braille Study Mode, an interactive tool for teaching and learning Braille. Learn more today:
Sponsor Since: April 15th 2021
Website: https://www.freedomscientific.com/ 🌐
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
Phone: (800) 444-4443 ☎
About: Freedom Scientific, a Vispero brand, is a leading worldwide brand of assistive technology products for those with vision impairments. We offer products designed to promote independence, allowing blind and low vision individuals the same access to information as their sighted peers. World-renowned JAWS (Job Access With Speech) screen reading software and ZoomText screen magnification software provide users the independence and ability to seek education and obtain or maintain a career after vision loss. Our expansive product line includes both low vision and blindness technology for all aspects of daily living. The wide range of RUBY, TOPAZ, and ONYX desktop and portable video magnifiers are designed for their ease of use and assist with daily activities. Our impressive line of blindness hardware products include refreshable Braille displays and scanning and reading devices, offering many options tailored to fit individual needs.
➜ VisionAware Resources Including the Information and Referral Line
APH ConnectCenter has resources to help blind and low vision people thrive. In addition to the Reader's Digest Getting Started with Vision Loss Guide You can also call the Information and Referral Line with your questions about resources and living with blindness and low vision:
Sponsor Since: March 4th 2021
Website: https://aphconnectcenter.org/ 🌐
Email: email@example.com ✉
APH ConnectCenter Information and Referral Line:
Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM ET
About: The APH ConnectCenter offers curated advice and resources to assist children, parents, adults, and job seekers who are blind or visually impaired, and their associated professionals, leading to greater independence and success in their lives.
➜ BRAILLIANT Renewed! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series is here!
The wait is over! A redefined family of Brailliant refreshable Braille displays has arrived! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series will help you stay connected, download books from many participating online libraries and share information easily with your peers. You will enjoy the intuitive, seamless user experience of KeySoft Lite, the HumanWare flagship accessibility suite designed to make you more productive. Including the Brailliant BI 40X and the Brailliant BI 20X, this is the Brailliant idea you need!
Sponsor Since: February 4th 2021
Website: http://humanware.com/ 🌐
Phone (Asia): +61 2 9686 2600 ☎
YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRWVYiggn-w 🎥
About: HumanWare is the global leader in assistive technology for people who are blind or have low vision. HumanWare offers a wide range of innovative products, including the BrailleNote Touch, first Google certified braille tablet, the iOS compatible Brailliant braille displays, Victor Reader®, the world's leading family of digital audiobook players, the unique Prodigi® family of desktop and portable vision and reading systems, and the ultra-portable explore line of electronic handheld magnifier.
➜ Everyone Can Have an Amazing Customer Experience with SuperNova Kiosks!
Dolphin creates customized kiosk solutions for every type of service kiosk and every level of vision loss--and that's a win for your service or brand! If you're a business owner or someone who's struggling to access a service via a kiosk, spread the word! Check out this introductory audio/video demonstration highlighting the benefits of Dolphin SuperNova Kiosks!
Sponsor Since: January 28th 2021
Website: https://yourdolphin.com/ 🌐
Phone (USA & Canada): +1 (866) 797-5921 ☎
Phone (UK, Europe & Asia): +44 01905 754577 ☎
Phone (Nordic & Baltic Contries): +46 0515 82175 ☎
Download a FREE 30-Day Trial of GuideConnect
Download a FREE 30-Day Trial of SuperNova
About: Dolphin Computer Access offers a wide array of solutions for students, people in the workforce, and at home who are blind, visually impaired or have dyslexia. Each product is purposefully designed to help users, with varying levels of technology experience, do everyday things EASILY on computers and tablets. Founded in 1986 and located in Worcester England, Dolphin has grown to become a global market leader worldwide.
➜ Accessible Pharmacy Joins Be My Eyes
Accessible Pharmacy, the new, home delivery pharmacy with a blind founder, is bringing its full range of support and services to Be My Eyes. Users of the Be My Eyes app can now call Accessible Pharmacy directly to get support with medication, medical devices, and even home delivery COVID testing. With a fully trained and discreet pharmacy staff on call from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM Pacific, Accessible Pharmacy is the new way for blind and low vision consumers to get an easy, frictionless pharmacy experience. Call today — and you'll never have to take an Uber to the drugstore again.
Lead Contact: Will Butler, VP of Community
Sponsor Since: November 5th 2020
Website: https://www.bemyeyes.com/ 🌐
Download The App (iOS):
Download The App (Android):
About: Be My Eyes is a free mobile app that allows anyone who needs video support to get assistance from a dynamic range of volunteers and company customer support professionals from around the world. With more than 4 million volunteers and dozens of companies offering on-demand visual interpretation and support, Be My Eyes is a free, unlimited way to bridge gaps and get access to whatever information you need — 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in any language. Download the app today from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
➜ LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired Adaptations Online Store Featured Products
Revolution Cane Tip: Standard Roller Tip: $14.50 | Locator Dots: Small Pack of 6 (Clear or Orange): $2.00 | NFB Metal Cane Tip: $3.00 | TMAP - On Demand Tactile Street | Map (set of two maps): $25.00 | Ambutech Aluminum Folding Cane: $35.00 | NFB Chris Park Telescoping Cane: $45.00 | BoldWriter 20 Pen (Individual or 6-pack): $2.00 | Bump Dots: Mixed (50 count): $7.00 | Braille Apple Catalina VoiceOver Guide OSX 10.15 (3 volumes) - Latest Manual: $52.00 | SpeedDots iPhone Tactile Screen Protector, Phone Layout: $12.00 | NFB Chris Park 7-Piece Folding Cane: $50.00 | Visit https://adaptations.org/ to learn more today!
Sponsor Since: October 1, 2020
Website: https://adaptations.org/ 🌐
Toll Free: (888) 400-8933 ☎
Local: (415) 694-7301 ☎
About: Founded in 1902, San Francisco's LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired promotes the independence, equality and self-reliance of people who are blind or have low vision. Adaptations is your online go-to for tools, technology, and accessible solutions for blind and visually impaired people.
➜ Build A Foundational Understanding Of Construction And Electronics With BRIC: Structures® Access Kit From APH - An Adapted Version Of An Educational Elenco® Product For Students Who Are Blind And Visually Impaired!
The BRIC: Structures® Access Kit combines ordinary building bricks with Snap Circuits® to create 26 projects, such as circuits and real-world structures, that run on electricity. Visit https://www.aph.org/product/bric-structures-access-kit/ to learn more.
Sponsor Since: July 2nd 2020
Website: https://www.aph.org/ 🌐
Toll Free and Customer Support: (800) 223-1839 ☎
Phone: (512) 895-2405 ☎
Fax: (512) 899-2284 ░
YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/WENRlCNDsxQ 🎥
Free Apps & Actions from APH: https://www.aph.org/free-apps-from-aph/ 📱
About: Since 1858, the American Printing House for the Blind has operated in Louisville, Kentucky as the world's largest nonprofit organization, creating accessible learning experiences through educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are blind and visually impaired. APH believes that the future belongs to everyone. By offering innovative products and services, APH opens up a door of opportunities for lifelong independence and success.
➜ GuideLights and Gadgets Invites You to Listen, Learn and Buy from our Selection of Leather, Gadgets, and Dog Products
(1) Our first summer convention weekly special: 1 of 8: New 6 pocket leather waist pack, 15 by 7 by 5 inches, 6 pockets, 50 inch strap, $35. (2) Our new hands free 6 pocket rugged cowhide leather neck pouch will fit any phone, and a whole lot more. Can go on your belt or carry crossbody. 7 by 5 by 4 inches. $40.00. (3) Craddle your 20 cell Braille display with Our unique leather case that feels like a thick book; middle zipper, carrying strap; no Braille display ever felt so much love! $60. Call Barry: (617) 969-7500 ☎ / firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ or visit: https://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/.
Sponsor Since: June 25th 2020
Website: http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/ 🌐
About: Our Scope of Products: We specialize in 3 lines of products, all intended to assist in access to adaptive electronics, enhance experiences for guide dog teams, and offer practical solutions for organization and travel with a variety of leather bags, pouches, and backpacks. Then there are the random products that are included, just for fun! We enjoy working with our customers 1-on-1 to their money is well spent and not wasted on something they may not use. In thinking about our customers and whether we will carry a product our guiding motto is that it must be: practical, affordable, simple, tested, and accessible (the pasta principle) and it seems to work very well.
What We Do: We bring our business either via zoom, phone, or to your conference or convention, to give each customer a chance for questions and where possible, "hands on" evaluation of the merchandise. Kae and I test and use each product as blind users before we put it in our catalog. In the case of products for guide and service dogs, our own three guides, Thor, Debra and Melody, are engaged in the process of evaluating the usefulness, durability, and/or fun of the product. We want each of our products to be useful, accessible, afforable, and, whenever possible, fun! Our inventory is constantly changing, so a visit to us is never the same experience twice!
➜ Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub
If you're like me, you probably have more things to plug into your computer than available ports. That's why we've now added the Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub. Plug it into your laptop and you will get 3 USB ports, SD and Micro SD card slots, a USBC charging port, and an HDMI video port. It's available now for just $29.95:
Sponsor Since: June 11th 2020
Website: https://www.atguys.com/ 🌐
Phone: (269) 216-4798 ☎
Email: email@example.com ✉
Skype: atguys ✆
Twitter: https://twitter.com/atguys (@atguys) ✍
Facebook: https://facebook.com/atguys ✍
About: ATGuys.com. Your access technology experts, home for cool gadgets, accessories, and more. Our products are all tested to work great for blind and visually impaired users but also work just as well for anyone. If there's an item you're looking for, or if you have a question, please don't hesitate to send us a message or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
➜ Voice Training
Would you like to learn to control your computer with your voice, or to create documents using your voice rather than the keyboard? There are several tools to accomplish these objectives. I can provide training in their use. Write to me if interested at:
Editor, Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
Website: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/ 🌐
About: Dean Martineau is the Founder and a Contributing Editor to the Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter.
Top Tech Tidbits is the world's leading adaptive technology publication that reaches over 10,000 adaptive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts, all over the world, each week.
Top Tech Tidbits offers a total of 12 Sponsorship Packages which are used to support the ongoing distribution of the publication.
There are 0 of 12 packages currently available.
If you would like to become a Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor, but there are no sponsorship packages currently available, we encourage you to join our waiting list by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉.
Once you have joined our waiting list we will notify you the next time a current sponsor decides not to renew. You will then have 72 hours to secure your sponsorship before it is offered to the next sponsor on the list.
When available you can secure one of these packages for just $325.00 USD for the next 3 months, or save $100.00 USD and join us for the year. All Sponsorship Packages are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Please help us to support the ongoing distribution of this publication. Consider showing your support for the world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology while enjoying these incredible benefits. Learn more today at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
Top Tech Tidbits Supporters:
We couldn't do it without you! Thank you for your support!
Tidbits Supporters donate an amount of their choosing on an annual basis in order to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication.
If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support.
In tandem with Our Sponsors, these are the people that make the ongoing distribution of Tidbits possible:
1.) Gary Lee
2.) Anonymous Donation
3.) Pshon Barrett
1.) Howard Goldstein
2.) David Goldstein
3.) Katherine Crohan
1.) Your name here. Help support Tidbits today.
1.) Steven Wettlaufer
2.) Shaun Everiss
Top Tech Tidbits Subscription Information:
ABOUT:Founded in 2004, Top Tech Tidbits is a leading Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 10,000 assistive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week. Sign up here. Review the archive here. Adaptive Technology refers to items that are specifically designed for people with disabilities. Adaptive Technology is a subset of Assistive Technology. Adaptive Technology often refers specifically to electronic and information technology access. Top Tech Tidbits is a Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication. Publisher: Aaron Di Blasi. Contributing Editors: John Hanlin, Jenna Lang. Top Tech Tidbits is a sponsor and reader supported publication.
RELEASE SCHEDULE:Top Tech Tidbits is released every Thursday morning at 4:00 AM ET.
SUBSCRIBE:Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive the Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to receive the Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter on the Top Tech Tidbits Website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com. Either of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving the Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter. It's that easy.
SPONSOR:If you would like to become 1 of only 18 Top Tech Tidbits Sponsors whose annual support makes the distribution of Top Tech Tidbits possible, we offer you the following benefits, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://toptechtidbits.com/sponsor.
SUPPORT:If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://toptechtidbits.com/donate.
WEBSITE:Visit the Top Tech Tidbits website online at https://www.toptechtidbits.com.
FACEBOOK:Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Facebook News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/facebook.
X (FORMERLY TWITTER):Are you on X? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your X News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/x.
MASTODON:Are you on Mastodon? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Mastodon News Feed by visiting https://mastodon.toptechtidbits.com/@news or searching for @email@example.com on your server today.
LINKEDIN:Are you on LinkedIn? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your LinkedIn News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/linkedin.
YOUTUBE:Are you on YouTube? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your YouTube Video Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/youtube.
RSS:Do you prefer RSS? Follow Top Tech Tidbits via RSS today to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology using your choice of news aggregator: https://toptechtidbits.com/rss.
QUESTIONS:Tidbits are intentionally concise. As a result we know that some readers may not always understand all of the items listed because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVEVisit the Top Tech Tidbits Archive at: https://toptechtidbits.com/archive where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT CONTRIBUTORS:Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be submitted online via our Top Tech Tidbit Submission Form at: https://toptechtidbits.com/submit-tidbit or directed to our Editors at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Home: Top Tech Tidbits||News: Top Tech Tidbits||Podcast: Top Tech Tidbits||Subscribe: Top Tech Tidbits||Donate: Top Tech Tidbits||Facebook: Top Tech Tidbits||X: Top Tech Tidbits||Mastodon: Top Tech Tidbits||LinkedIn: Top Tech Tidbits||YouTube: Top Tech Tidbits||RSS: Top Tech Tidbits||Back to Top|
Information provided by: