Home: Top Tech Tidbtits News: Top Tech Tidbtits Sign Up: Top Tech Tidbits Donate: Top Tech Tidbtits Search: Top Tech Tidbtits Facebook: Top Tech Tidbits Twitter: Top Tech Tidbits LinkedIn: Top Tech Tidbits YouTube: Top Tech Tidbits RSS: Top Tech Tidbits Back to Top
Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, July 8, 2021 - Volume 814
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication
Top Tech Tidbits. The world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology.
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Top Tech Tidbits. The World's #1 Adaptive Technology Publication. Made Possible by Support From The Following Sponsors:
This issue made possible by sponsorship support from: Dean Martineau @ TopTechTidbits.com, A.T. Guys @ ATGuys.com, Barry Scheur @ GuideLightsAndGadgets.us, American Printing House @ APH.org, LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired Adaptations Online Store @ Adaptations.org, Be My Eyes @ BeMyEyes.com, Dolphin Computer Access @ YourDolphin.com, HumanWare @ HumanWare.com, APH ConnectCenter @ APHConnectCenter.org, Freedom Scientific @ FreedomScientific.com, Commtech USA @ CommtechUSA.net and Pneuma Solutions @ PneumaSolutions.com.
Dear Tidbits Subscriber,
1) Top 5 Most Clicked Tidbits From Last WeekA.) Windows 11: Release Date, Price, and Everything You Need To Know: (9.4% of all clicks.)
B.) Using Your Amazon Echo Alexa to Join Zoom Meetings: (6.6% of all clicks.)
C.) The Most Important New Features in Windows 11: (5.8% of all clicks.)
D.) How to Check if Your Windows 10 PC Can Run Windows 11: (5.5% of all clicks.)
E.) WebAIM: Screen Reader User Survey #9 Results: (4.9% of all clicks.)
2) Game On | 2 New Endorsements | Top Tech Tidbits BVI Technology Game DirectoryTidbits readers need your help. They want to know what games they should be playing. And not just for accessibility, but for pure enjoyment. If you are a blind or visually impaired gamer and you play a game that you would like to tell other blind or visually impaired gamers about, please submit your game to the Top Tech Tidbits BVI Technology Game Directory today. And remember, if you come across a game in the Directory that you agree is awesome, be sure to endorse it by submitting it yourself so that it moves up the list where more people will notice it:
3) New APH Partnership with HumanWare Leads to Creation of Dynamic Tactile DeviceAmerican Printing House for the Blind (APH) has announced the development of a multiline braille tactile reader that aims to revolutionize braille technology for the visually impaired. The device, which combines tactile images and braille, is being created through a partnership with HumanWare, a leader in the field of access technology with a 30-year history of creating products for people who are blind or visually impaired. The device will utilize both APH's and HumanWare's vast experience in the development of educational products:
4) A.T. Guys Releases New Versa Slate Paperless, Erasable Braille Slate and StylusThis item is brand new and available for preorder. We hope to ship by July 10th 2021. The Versa Slate is a braille slate that is paperless and erasable. It works just like a regular slate and stylus, but without paper. It features 4 rows of 20 cells each, and a magnetic stylus that is built into the side of the unit for easy storage. The Versa functions like any other braille slate, but without the need for paper. Simply use the included stylus to make braille, and flip over the slate to read it. When you want to clear all or part of the slate, press one of the buttons. The slate has 4 buttons along the top and bottom of the reading side of the unit. Each button erases 5 of the 20 cells of the unit:
5) Microsoft Explains The Accessibility Improvements Coming in Windows 11Last week Microsoft explained the Accessibility improvements coming in Windows 11. You can try out these new improvements in the Windows 11 Preview Build 22000.51 which was released early this week to Windows Insiders. You can find the summary of the accessibility improvements here:
6) Accessibility Improvements Coming to Visual StudioMicrosoft is looking to improve the accessibility of its flagship IDE with features such as audio cues, whitespace rendering controls, and a focus mode for eliminating notifications and other distractions:
7) Readbit: A New App From the Makers of SupersenseReadBit is a free text-to-speech reader app created to offer you an insightful reading and listening experience while saving you lots of time and energy. And that's not all. Its smart algorithms summarize and even analyze the text to provide you the most relevant information without having to read hundreds of pages. ReadBit can turn any document, weblink, or image into a high-quality audio file. You can personalize the reading screen and choose the background color and the font according to your needs:
8) Sunu Band and BlindSquare Join Forces for Enhanced AccessibilitySunu Band and BlindSquare have joined forces to improve accessible navigation together. Pairing these two technologies will offer reliable BlindSquare-driven GPS navigation to direct users where they're intending, while also issuing safety measures through the Sunu Band to alert users of oncoming obstacles:
9) NVDA 2021.1RC1 Available for TestingThe Release Candidate (RC) of NVDA 2021.1 is now available for download and testing. We encourage all users to download this RC and provide feedback. Unless any critical bugs are found, this will be identical to the final 2021.1 release:
10) NV Access In-Process July 2021NVDA 2021.1 Release Candidate, Last Chance at the NVDA Satisfaction Survey 2021, Windows 11 and more:
11) Freedom Scientific on TikTokAnother social medium where you can find FS:
12) The ABC's of iOS: A VoiceOver Manual for Toddlers and Beyond!This free manual provides parents and educators with the age-appropriate information they need to teach a child how to interact with an iPad using VoiceOver:
13) JAWS Alert Manager for Manging Busy Zoom MeetingsThis post explains how Doug Lee uses his JAM scripts to manage Zoom meetings:
14) Hey Siri! What Can You Do?A thorough discussion of Siri, part of the iPhone 101 series:
15) iOS Versus Android. Why iOS is BetterThere are some well-reasoned thoughts among the many posts in this thread:
16) AppleVis Unlimited: What's New and Noteworthy for June 2021https://www.applevis.com/newsletter/applevis-unlimited-whats-new-and-noteworthy-june-2021
17) Winaero Tweaker 1.20 is Out With Windows 11 Support and Tons of New Featureshttps://winaero.com/winaero-tweaker-1-20-is-out-with-windows-11-support-and-tons-of-new-features/
18) Windows 11's Security Push Puts Microsoft on a Collision CourseThe minimum hardware requirements for Microsoft's next operating system will leave plenty of PCs stranded:
19) New Keyboard Shortcuts in Windows 11Windows 11 comes with many new features and improvements, among which there are several new keyboard shortcuts. So far, Microsoft released only one official preview build, so in the future, the list of new keyboard shortcuts in Windows 11 may expand:
20) New Wearable With Haptic GPS for The Blind is Now AvailableAn early prototype of the Wayband first appeared at the 2017 New York Marathon, where Simon Wheatcroft put the product to the test and became the first blind runner to run a portion of the course without assistance. Developed by WearWorks, the Wayband has the potential to empower the visually impaired to live a life less constrained by their disability. With real-time feedback on their surroundings, they can more easily explore new areas of their city and break up routines:
21) iOS 15: Here Are All of the New Accessibility Features Coming to iPhone9to5 Mac breaks it down for us:
22) Recording | YouTube | Stay Organized and Read Books on the Brailliant BI 20 and 40 X Braille Displays | Webinar from Humanware | June 16th 2021This webinar discusses how to use the file manager on the new Brailliant Braille displays as well as how to use its built-in Victor Reader app to read content. NFB Newsline is demonstrated on this video:
23) Recording | YouTube | Connecting the Dots: Intro to Refreshable Braille Displays | Webinar from APH | July 2nd 2021We help you connect the dots! Join braille product expert William Freeman for this in-depth exploration of refreshable braille displays. We cover the very basics from using local apps to an introduction of using a braille display with the most popular screen readers. You'll also learn how to select an appropriate display for your student and troubleshoot common issues:
24) Meet Vicki! The Wonderful BrailleSense 6!Here we have Brian Hartgen's review of the HIMS BrailleSense 6:
25) How to use the Accessibility Checker in Microsoft OfficeThe Accessibility Checker is a feature in Microsoft Office programs that ensure that your Microsoft content is easy to read and edit by people of all abilities. The Accessibility Checker is available in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, OneNote, and PowerPoint:
26) Microsoft: Accessibility Is A Focus in Windows 11The company has previously emphasized specific areas that Windows 11 is targeting in terms of improvements, including security. Now, it has detailed that the operating system itself is also being designed with accessibility in mind:
27) What's Coming in Windows 11 AccessibilityAccording to this article from the Windows Blog Windows 11 will be the most inclusively designed version of Windows ever. Here's how:
28) Microsoft is Redesigning the Office Desktop Apps for Windows 11With Windows 11 coming later this year, Microsoft decided it was a good idea to revamp the Office desktop apps, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, and Outlook. Although the redesign is being made in alignment with the Windows 11 release, Windows 10 will also support it:
29) Announcing the LibreOffice Getting Started Guide 7.1Covering all LibreOffice modules, from the Calc spreadsheet to the Base database and including chapters on the suite settings as well as macro coding, the Getting Started Guide 7.1 is a valuable companion for organizations that must deploy documentation on LibreOffice together with the software suite at their offices as well as at user's homes. The Guide is available in PDF format and is part of the LibreOffice Library, a set of advanced guides for the LibreOffice productivity suite:
➜ Press Releases and Other News
1) Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart Ups the Ante on AccessibilityInsomniac Games' new banner title shows what developers can do to make games more inclusive:
2) TikTok, LinkedIn, and Retail Apps are Inaccessible to Many Blind Users, and Courts Aren't Fixing the ProblemThe Americans With Disabilities Act, passed in 1990, was meant to give people with disabilities access to public life. But the Justice Department, which makes ADA regulations, has not definitively said what standards businesses must meet online. In two recent cases, federal appeals courts have said that some apps and websites don't need to be fully accessible since Congress didn't specifically include them in the ADA:
3) The Codes Helping Visually-Impaired People Shop in the UKA new, colourful kind of barcode technology, developed by a Spanish firm, is being adopted for the first time in food packaging in the UK:
4) How to Subscribe to Library of Congress NewslettersA few of these relate to blindness, but most concern other collections and services from the venerable Library.:
5) National Disability Leadership Alliance (NDLA) Urges National Park Service to Meet Disability MandatesNDLA is a coalition of leading national disability organizations led by people with disabilities and supported by grassroots constituencies living with disabilities in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. Member organizations have joined forces because the disability community has already waited too long for equal access and federal agencies have not met their federally mandated obligations for accessibility. The Rehabilitation Act of 1973 prohibits discrimination against people with disabilities by any program or activity that receives federal funding:
➜ Featured Podcast Episodes
1) ATU526 - Supersense App with Shane LoweJune 25th 2021
Your weekly dose of information that keeps you up to date on the latest developments in the field of technology designed to assist people with disabilities and special needs. Special Guest: Shane Lowe — Community Operations Manger for Mediate:
2) Blind Android Users 30 | 4th of July Special, Podcast Clients and Pramit from Louie Voice ControlJuly 3rd 2021 | In this episode we demo google podcast and pocket cast. We also talk about Podcast Addict, and remind you that other media apps can play podcasts, such as TuneIn Radio, Spotify and Amazon Music. We then have an interview with Pramit Bhargava, developer of Louie voice control, they also demo the app. Then we have the next segment of Commentary screen reader in which we explore some more features and answer listener questions:
3) That Real Blind Tech Show 42 | Trendsetters, A Conversation With David WoodbridgeJuly 4th 2021
Allison and Brian present another in our Trendsetters series as they welcome Sir David Woodbridge in to the That Real Blind Tech show virtual studio. For those of you who follow assistive technology, David Woodbridge needs no introduction, so we have a little fun with our intro:
4) Parallel #54 Indoor Navigation: We're Working on the Sighted ExperienceJuly 6th 2021 Tech-assisted navigation means more than using your phone or other GPS-equipped device to find your way outside. Improving indoor navigation has long been a project for people with blindness and low vision, but its importance is growing for venues and tech companies, too:
5) Eyes on Success 2128 | Tools for Blind ScientistsJuly 7th 2021
The more tools one has in one's toolbox the better one will be prepared to take on new tasks and address new problems. Hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey talk with Mona Minkara, Assistant Professor of Bioengineering at Northeastern University about the extensive set of tools she has collected and used over the years to compensate for her blindness:
6) Mosen At Large 137July 7th 2021 Work with superb-quality remote audio. Meet Cleanfeed:
➜ Featured Webinars and Training Courses
1) How To Fully Utilize Clubhouse, Facebook and Zoom | Technology User GroupJuly 10th 2021 | 7AM PT, 8AM MT, 9AM CT, 10AM ET, 2PM GMT | On Saturday, July 10th 2021, the Technology User Group prepares you to fully utilize Clubhouse Facebook and Zoom. Whether you attend Zoom meetings or pursue other avenues of socialization, we all want to share and enjoy the benefits that Zoom, Clubhouse and Facebook can bring. Unmuting a microphone at the wrong time or posting in the wrong edit field can be a humbling experience. Please join us as we help you to avoid mistakes and transform you into a master of your social universe. The presentation will be virtual and may be joined by calling (319) 527-4994 ☎. You do not have to RSVP for this event. The presentation will begin at 10:00 AM ET and last about 90 minutes. We look forward to meeting with you virtually on Saturday, July 10th, and hope that you will join us for other exciting events we have planned for 2021
2) JAWS and Braille: a Closer LookJuly 13th 2021 | 11:30AM PT, 12:30PM MT, 1:30PM CT, 2:30PM ET, 6:30PM GMT | In our session on "Using Braille on Windows" back in January, we introduced you to the basics of making a braille display work with various screen readers. On Tuesday, we'll be taking this to the next level in the first of an occasional series of Masterclasses looking at the braille settings of a particular screen reader. This time it's JAWS. There are lots of settings and we won't be able to cover all of them in an hour, so instead we'll be reviewing some of the most common questions we're asked, finding the settings that relate to them, and explaining what they do. If you've registered for our second series of Masterclasses (from April onwards), you don't need to register again. You will receive a separate email with joining information before the session starts. Otherwise, to register for our session on braille and JAWS, please use this link:
3) Zoom Meeting with Orbit ResearchJuly 14th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | The monthly Zoom meeting with Orbit Research:
4) Important Aspects of PDF Remediation | TPGiJuly 14th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | PDFs and other electronic documents are essential elements for online communication. As we strive to create an accessible digital experience for all users, we must not neglect the electronic documents hosted on websites. Ensuring such documents are accessible is a critical aspect of a comprehensive, accessible experience. Our introductory webinar will provide a high-level overview of how to remediate electronic documents (specifically PDFs) for accessibility. We will review the fundamental concepts of PDF remediation and techniques that you can implement in your documents upon completion of the webinar. A live Q & A will follow the presentation:
5) Moving Forward: Access to Inclusive Fitness Equipment | United States Access BoardJuly 14th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | The U.S. Access Board invites the public to a virtual meeting on advancing access to fitness equipment on July 14th 2021 from 1:00 PM - 3:15 PM ET. The event, "Moving Forward: Access to Inclusive Fitness Equipment," will feature panel presentations on the need for access to fitness equipment, initiatives to address equipment accessibility, and implementation of inclusive fitness equipment. Scheduled panelists include representatives from the National Center on Health, Physical Activity and Disability, the American Council for the Blind, Mobility Fitness, the Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology Society of North America, ASTM International, Universal Fitness Innovation & Transformation, Ability 360, I Design Access, and equipment manufacturers. They will discuss the importance of access to exercise equipment, resources and initiatives to promote inclusive design of equipment, and examples of inclusive equipment and fitness centers. The event is free, but registration is required. The event will include video remote interpreting (VRI) and real-time captioning. For further information, visit the Board's website. Direct questions to Rose Marie Bunales at email@example.com ✉. Registration (Free):
6) 2021 ACB Virtual Conference and Convention | Registration Information and Browse Conference and Convention SessionsJuly 16th 2021 through July 23rd 2021 Registration is now open. If you wish, you can now browse the seminars, workshops, meetings, programs, and social events that are scheduled before you actually register. Registration will remain open to June 28, 2021, but before you register, there is an important task each of you must undertake if you plan on registering. ACB is moving ever closer to a singular login and password that will apply to all ACB websites and web-based functions. If you intend on registering for the convention this year, please go to https://members.acb.org/ to create your ACB account. Select "CREATE AN ACCOUNT" and complete the profile information requested. You will need to create a new username and password (if you wish, you can use the same username and password you used for past conventions when creating this new account). There is one exception: If you registered for the ACB Holiday Auction in December 2020, you have already created an account and you do not have to do so again. If you have problems or questions regarding this process, please call the Minnesota Finance Office at (612) 332-3242 ☎. You will use this new username and password when you register on or after May 20, 2021. To make sure you receive the most up to date information, subscribe to our convention announce list by sending a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ or contact Janet Dickelman, convention coordinator at email@example.com ✉ or by phone at (651) 428-5059 ☎.
7) Accessibility Features to Consider & Avoid When Developing an Accessible Kiosk | TPGiJuly 20th 2021 | 7PM PT, 8PM MT, 9PM CT, 10PM ET, 2AM GMT on 7/21 | In this webinar, the TPGi team will interview Peter Jarvis, Senior Executive Vice President and founding Director of Storm Interface. Peter Jarvis will answer questions about what accessibility features should be considered when developing an accessible kiosk, mistakes to avoid, and at which point in your project you should be thinking about the proper assistive technology components:
1) Blind and Low-Vision Adults Needed for Survey of User Experiences with Food Delivery AppsClose Date: July 15th 2021 | Calling all blind and low-vision volunteers age 18 and older. Do you often encounter difficulties when ordering takeout food through food delivery apps and having the food delivered? Would you like to describe your challenges with these apps and food delivery and provide suggestions to improve your experience? Come to tell us about your experience. We are researchers from the Rochester Institute of Technology and currently we are conducting a survey to investigate the user experience, challenges, and workarounds of food delivery apps, like UberEats, DoorDash, and GrubHub by people with low-vision or blindness. In the survey, you will be asked your user experience with food delivery apps, and some questions about your background. The survey will take about 5-10 minutes:
2) Paid Opportunity to Participate in a Research Study: Studying Tools to Manage and Share PicturesClose Date: July 16th 2021 | We are a group of researchers at University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. We are conducting research to help blind people and people with visual impairments (BVI people) share pictures to social media free of private and sensitive information. We have designed a mobile App to let BVI users screen private and sensitive information of their about-to-share pictures using artificial intelligence (AI) and human effort. Participants must be 18 years of age or older to participate in this research study. Those who complete the study will receive a $20 compensation and $10 for exit interview. Learn more here:
1) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Listserv Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-listserv-directory.html
2) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Podcast Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-podcast-directory.html
3) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Game Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-game-directory.html
➜ Buy, Sell or Trade
1) FOR SALE: One Humanware Braille Note Touch PlusListing Date: 7/8/2021 | Price: $3,000.00 USD | Condition: Gently Used. | Description: Humanware Notetaker. Includes original retail packaging, braille quick reference, charger, and executive products carrying case. Purchased 7/2019. Warranty until 7/2022. Very gently used. Found I just don't use it like I thought I would. Price negotiable. | Contact: Email firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ or call Gary at (765) 286-0314 ☎. |
2) FOR SALE: One Focus 14 Blue 5th Gen Braille DisplayListing Date: 6/17/2021 | Price: $600.00 USD | Condition: Gently Used. | Description: One gently used 14-Cell Bluetooth Braille Display in excellent condition. | Contact: email@example.com ✉ |
3) FOR SALE: One Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Ad (Just like this one.)Price: $5.00 USD | Description: List your new, gently-used or refurbished item in FOUR (4) consecutive issues of Top Tech Tidbits for just $5.00 USD. | Buy an Ad: Fill out this short 10-step form ✔ to secure your Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Advertisement today. | Learn more at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/buy-sell-trade.html 🌐 |
Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor Classified Ads:
➜ Plugable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub
If you're like me, you probably have more things to plug into your computer than available ports. That's why we've now added the Plugable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub. Plug it into your laptop and you will get 3 USB ports, SD and Micro SD card slots, a USBC charging port, and an HDMI video port. It's available now for just $29.95:
Sponsor Since: June 11th 2020
Website: https://www.atguys.com/ 🌐
Phone: (269) 216-4798 ☎
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
Skype: atguys ✆
Twitter: https://twitter.com/atguys (@atguys) ✍
Facebook: https://facebook.com/atguys ✍
About: ATGuys.com. Your access technology experts, home for cool gadgets, accessories, and more. Our products are all tested to work great for blind and visually impaired users but also work just as well for anyone. If there's an item you're looking for, or if you have a question, please don't hesitate to send us a message or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
➜ Voice Training
Would you like to learn to control your computer with your voice, or to create documents using your voice rather than the keyboard? There are several tools to accomplish these objectives. I can provide training in their use. Write to me if interested at:
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
Website: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/ 🌐
About: Dean Martineau is the Founder and a Contributing Editor to the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter.
➜ 3 Easy Steps To Accessible Shared Content For Your Remote Presentations: Rid Digital Darkness For Blind Attendee's Forever!
It's as easy as 1-2-3. Upload content... Copy a link... and paste the link in chat. Attendees never wonder what's shared on screen during online presentations. Upload slides within 5 minutes of presenting. Attendees can download content in multiple formats to view later. Eliminate digital darkness at your next online event with Scribe for Meetings. Get in on our, "Accessible Meetings and webinars for Life," introductory offer. Reseller opportunities available to expand your businesses accessibility offerings.
Sponsor Since: June 3rd 2021
Website: https://pneumasolutions.com/ 🌐
Email Newsletter: Click here to receive periodic news via email concerning Pneuma Solutions products for business, consumers and education.
Sales: (866) 202-0520 ☎
Support: (650) 249-1000 ☎
About: Backed by two decades of creating award-winning accessible cloud technologies for people with visual impairments, Pneuma Solutions is the global leader in accessible cloud-based solutions. Pneuma Solutions was founded by long-time accessibility developers Mike Calvo and Matt Campbell. For more information on their individual profiles, click on their respective bio pages. We're proud to be the first company to develop cloud-based accessibility at the network level. Our tools provide organizations, like yours, a way to deliver secure, accessible information right from your network or from our secure servers. You can provide your print disabled consumers, students, employees, and citizens with a multitude of accessible options. Additionally, we offer a suite of cloud-based applications to blind and print disabled consumers directly from our website. Our consumer products are designed to make the day-to-day lives of blind and print disabled individuals more accessible and simpler to manage. Access to information is not a privilege, it's a right. It's also your right to obtain affordable, accessible cloud solutions to serve your end user. When organizations like yours implement our tools, together we help make it a more inclusive world for people with disabilities. Want to know more about how we can help you become more inclusive?
Contact us here. We'll be happy to discuss how our tools can help with your accessibility needs.
➜ Training to Fit Your Needs
Do you have a device you just don't understand? Do you want to advance your skills on a certain platform? Let Commtech help you out! From phones to note takers to computers and everything in between, let Commtech give you the skills you need to succeed. For more information, call (833) 345-8324 ☎ EXT 700 or visit our website:
Sponsor Since: April 22nd 2021
Website: https://commtechusa.net/ 🌐
Phone: (833) 345-8324 ☎
About: Commtech USA, a division of Commtech LLC is a Phoenix based national assistive technology company, with locations in Bakersfield CA. We deliver unmatched information technology and assistive technology consultations, training and support. Founded in 2005 as a government vendor fulfilling a vast range of technology needs of federal and state government clients, Commtech USA has expanded to meet the needs of businesses as well as individuals, with office locations across the nation. No issue is too large or too small for our staff, Commtech USA is the on call technology staff you call when you have tried the rest but need the best!
Download The App (iOS):
Download The App (Android):
➜ Freedom Scientific Focus Blue 5th Generation Refreshable Braille Displays
Our world-class refreshable Braille displays deliver efficient Braille input and outstanding output for your PC or mobile device. The robust Bluetooth® connectivity provides seamless use with Windows®, Mac®, iPhones®, iPads®, and AndroidTM smartphones and tablets. Ergonomic navigation features allow quick, natural hand movements for greater productivity. When used with JAWS® screen reading software, they support our popular Braille Study Mode, an interactive tool for teaching and learning Braille. Learn more today:
Sponsor Since: April 15th 2021
Website: https://www.freedomscientific.com/ 🌐
Email: email@example.com ✉
Phone: (800) 444-4443 ☎
About: Freedom Scientific, a Vispero brand, is a leading worldwide brand of assistive technology products for those with vision impairments. We offer products designed to promote independence, allowing blind and low vision individuals the same access to information as their sighted peers. World-renowned JAWS (Job Access With Speech) screen reading software and ZoomText screen magnification software provide users the independence and ability to seek education and obtain or maintain a career after vision loss. Our expansive product line includes both low vision and blindness technology for all aspects of daily living. The wide range of RUBY, TOPAZ, and ONYX desktop and portable video magnifiers are designed for their ease of use and assist with daily activities. Our impressive line of blindness hardware products include refreshable Braille displays and scanning and reading devices, offering many options tailored to fit individual needs.
➜ VisionAware Resources: The Reader's Digest Getting Started Guide to Vision Loss
APHConnectCenter has resources to help blind and low vision people thrive.?Share the Reader's Digest Getting Started with Vision Loss Guide with people who need to know about living with vision loss. https://visionaware.org/
Sponsor Since: March 4th 2021
Website: https://aphconnectcenter.org/ 🌐
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
APH ConnectCenter Information and Referral Line:
Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM ET
About: The APH ConnectCenter offers curated advice and resources to assist children, parents, adults, and job seekers who are blind or visually impaired, and their associated professionals, leading to greater independence and success in their lives.
➜ BRAILLIANT Renewed! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series is here!
The wait is over! A redefined family of Brailliant refreshable Braille displays has arrived! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series will help you stay connected, download books from many participating online libraries and share information easily with your peers. You will enjoy the intuitive, seamless user experience of KeySoft Lite, the HumanWare flagship accessibility suite designed to make you more productive. Including the Brailliant BI 40X and the Brailliant BI 20X, this is the Brailliant idea you need!
Sponsor Since: February 4th 2021
Website: http://humanware.com/ 🌐
Phone (Asia): +61 2 9686 2600 ☎
YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRWVYiggn-w 🎥
About: HumanWare is the global leader in assistive technology for people who are blind or have low vision. HumanWare offers a wide range of innovative products, including the BrailleNote Touch, first Google certified braille tablet, the iOS compatible Brailliant braille displays, Victor Reader®, the world's leading family of digital audiobook players, the unique Prodigi® family of desktop and portable vision and reading systems, and the ultra-portable explore line of electronic handheld magnifier.
➜ How to Use Hot Keys to Work Across Multiple Monitors in SuperNova
Listen to or watch this short video that demonstrates how to enhance your workspace by using multiple monitors. You can multi-task by using separate screens for separate documents and programs. Duplicate your magnified view to work with colleagues or when viewing PowerPoint presentations. Use a doc cam to read, interact and take notes from printed documents. Or, just give yourself extra screen space by stretching your desktop across screens.
Sponsor Since: January 28th 2021
Website: https://yourdolphin.com/ 🌐
Phone (USA & Canada): +1 (866) 797-5921 ☎
Phone (UK, Europe & Asia): +44 01905 754577 ☎
Phone (Nordic & Baltic Contries): +46 0515 82175 ☎
Download a FREE 30-Day Trial of GuideConnect
Download a FREE 30-Day Trial of SuperNova
About: Dolphin Computer Access offers a wide array of solutions for students, people in the workforce, and at home who are blind, visually impaired or have dyslexia. Each product is purposefully designed to help users, with varying levels of technology experience, do everyday things EASILY on computers and tablets. Founded in 1986 and located in Worcester England, Dolphin has grown to become a global market leader worldwide.
➜ Accessible Pharmacy Joins Be My Eyes
Accessible Pharmacy, the new, home delivery pharmacy with a blind founder, is bringing its full range of support and services to Be My Eyes. Users of the Be My Eyes app can now call Accessible Pharmacy directly to get support with medication, medical devices, and even home delivery COVID testing. With a fully trained and discreet pharmacy staff on call from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM Pacific, Accessible Pharmacy is the new way for blind and low vision consumers to get an easy, frictionless pharmacy experience. Call today — and you'll never have to take an Uber to the drugstore again.
Lead Contact: Will Butler, VP of Community
Sponsor Since: November 5th 2020
Website: https://www.bemyeyes.com/ 🌐
Download The App (iOS):
Download The App (Android):
About: Be My Eyes is a free mobile app that allows anyone who needs video support to get assistance from a dynamic range of volunteers and company customer support professionals from around the world. With more than 4 million volunteers and dozens of companies offering on-demand visual interpretation and support, Be My Eyes is a free, unlimited way to bridge gaps and get access to whatever information you need — 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in any language. Download the app today from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
➜ LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired Adaptations Online Store Featured Products
Revolution Cane Tip: Standard Roller Tip: $14.50 | Locator Dots: Small Pack of 6 (Clear or Orange): $2.00 | NFB Metal Cane Tip: $3.00 | TMAP - On Demand Tactile Street | Map (set of two maps): $25.00 | Ambutech Aluminum Folding Cane: $35.00 | NFB Chris Park Telescoping Cane: $45.00 | BoldWriter 20 Pen (Individual or 6-pack): $2.00 | Bump Dots: Mixed (50 count): $7.00 | Braille Apple Catalina VoiceOver Guide OSX 10.15 (3 volumes) - Latest Manual: $52.00 | SpeedDots iPhone Tactile Screen Protector, Phone Layout: $12.00 | NFB Chris Park 7-Piece Folding Cane: $50.00 | Visit https://adaptations.org/ to learn more today!
Sponsor Since: October 1, 2020
Website: https://adaptations.org/ 🌐
Toll Free: (888) 400-8933 ☎
Local: (415) 694-7301 ☎
About: Founded in 1902, San Francisco's LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired promotes the independence, equality and self-reliance of people who are blind or have low vision. Adaptations is your online go-to for tools, technology, and accessible solutions for blind and visually impaired people.
➜ Build A Foundational Understanding Of Construction And Electronics With BRIC: Structures® Access Kit From APH - An Adapted Version Of An Educational Elenco® Product For Students Who Are Blind And Visually Impaired!
The BRIC: Structures® Access Kit combines ordinary building bricks with Snap Circuits® to create 26 projects, such as circuits and real-world structures, that run on electricity. Visit https://www.aph.org/product/bric-structures-access-kit/ to learn more.
Sponsor Since: July 2nd 2020
Website: https://www.aph.org/ 🌐
Toll Free and Customer Support: (800) 223-1839 ☎
Phone: (512) 895-2405 ☎
Fax: (512) 899-2284 ░
YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/WENRlCNDsxQ 🎥
Free Apps & Actions from APH: https://www.aph.org/free-apps-from-aph/ 📱
About: Since 1858, the American Printing House for the Blind has operated in Louisville, Kentucky as the world's largest nonprofit organization, creating accessible learning experiences through educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are blind and visually impaired. APH believes that the future belongs to everyone. By offering innovative products and services, APH opens up a door of opportunities for lifelong independence and success.
➜ GuideLights and Gadgets: Exciting Convention Specials, More Next Week
(1) "Love My Braille" Display Case; heavy duty leather folio zipper case; 2 middle compartments; size and feel of a hardcover book, 8x10x4 inches, concealed weapons case has a new job, $70, including shipping. (2) 2 Quality telescopic non-collapsing cane; Aluminum seven sections; use at any length; hard rubber grip with 2 mushroom push tips; 59 and 48 inches; not for support; after trying it, folks buy two, No returns. $55, including shipping. (3) Larger New neck pouch/gadget bag for hands free phone use with camera exposed; and a lot more; 5 pockets; heavy duty cowhide 7.5x4.5x3x, dis45.00 including shipping. Call Barry: (617) 969-7500 ☎ / email@example.com ✉ or visit: https://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/.
Sponsor Since: June 25th 2020
Website: http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/ 🌐
About: Our Scope of Products: We specialize in 3 lines of products, all intended to assist in access to adaptive electronics, enhance experiences for guide dog teams, and offer practical solutions for organization and travel with a variety of leather bags, pouches, and backpacks. Then there are the random products that are included, just for fun! We enjoy working with our customers 1-on-1 to their money is well spent and not wasted on something they may not use. In thinking about our customers and whether we will carry a product our guiding motto is that it must be: practical, affordable, simple, tested, and accessible (the pasta principle) and it seems to work very well.
What We Do: We bring our business either via zoom, phone, or to your conference or convention, to give each customer a chance for questions and where possible, "hands on" evaluation of the merchandise. Kae and I test and use each product as blind users before we put it in our catalog. In the case of products for guide and service dogs, our own three guides, Thor, Debra and Melody, are engaged in the process of evaluating the usefulness, durability, and/or fun of the product. We want each of our products to be useful, accessible, afforable, and, whenever possible, fun! Our inventory is constantly changing, so a visit to us is never the same experience twice!
Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday is a leading, not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 6,500 Adaptive Technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week.
Top Tech Tidbits offers a total of 12 Sponsorship Packages which are used to support the ongoing distribution of the publication.
There are 0 of 12 packages currently available.
If you would like to become a Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor, but there are no sponsorship packages currently available, we encourage you to join our waiting list by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉.
Once you have joined our waiting list we will notify you the next time a current sponsor decides not to renew. You will then have 72 hours to secure your sponsorship before it is offered to the next sponsor on the list.
When available you can secure one of these packages for just $325.00 USD for the next 3 months, or save $100.00 USD and join us for the year. All Sponsorship Packages are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Please help us to support the ongoing distribution of this publication. Consider showing your support for the world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology while enjoying these incredible benefits. Learn more today at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
Top Tech Tidbits Supporters:
We couldn't do it without you! Thank for your support!
Tidbits Supporters donate an amount of their choosing on an annual basis in order to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication.
If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support.
In tandem with Our Sponsors, these are the people that make the ongoing distribution of Tidbits possible:
1.) Gary Lee
2.) Anonymous Donation
3.) Pshon Barrett
1.) Howard Goldstein
2.) David Goldstein
3.) Katherine Crohan
1.) Your name here. Help support Tidbits today.
1.) Steven Wettlaufer
2.) Shaun Everiss
Top Tech Tidbits Subscription Information:
ABOUT:Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday is a leading not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches 6,500+ Adaptive Technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week. Sign up here. Review the archive here. Adaptive Technology refers to items that are specifically designed for people with disabilities. Adaptive Technology is a subset of Assistive Technology. Adaptive Technology often refers specifically to electronic and information technology access. The Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter is a Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication. Publisher: Aaron Di Blasi. Contributing Editors: Dean Martineau, Jenna Lang, John Hanlin. Top Tech Tidbits is a sponsor and reader supported publication.
RELEASE SCHEDULE:The Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter is sent out every Thursday morning at 4:00 AM EST.
SUBSCRIBE:Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter on the Top Tech Tidbits Website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com or by (SMS) texting "TOPTECHTIDBITS" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter. It's that easy.
SPONSOR:If you would like to become 1 of only 12 Tidbits Sponsors whose annual support makes the distribution of Top Tech Tidbits possible, we offer you the following benefits, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
SUPPORT:If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/donate.html.
WEBSITE:Visit the Top Tech Tidbits website online at https://www.toptechtidbits.com.
FACEBOOK:Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Facebook News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/facebook.
TWITTER:Are you on Twitter? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Twitter News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/twitter.
LINKEDIN:Are you on LinkedIn? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your LinkedIn News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/linkedin.
YOUTUBE:Are you on YouTube? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your YouTube Video Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/youtube.
RSS:Do you prefer RSS? Follow Top Tech Tidbits via RSS today to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology using your choice of news aggregator: https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits.
QUESTIONS:Tidbits are intentionally concise. As a result we know that some readers may not always understand all of the items listed because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVEVisit the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter Archive at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/archive.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT CONTRIBUTORS:Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be directed to our Editors at: email@example.com.
Information provided by: