Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, September 2, 2021 - Volume 822
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication
Top Tech Tidbits. The world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology.
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Two Top Tech Tidbits Sponsorship Packages Available! Join 10 Other AT Industry Leaders and Begin Reaching Over 6,700 Assistive Technology Professionals, Educators and Enthusiasts Each Week For Just $25 A Week!
Secure an available package today for just $325.00 USD for the next 3 months, or save $100.00 USD and join us for the year. All Sponsorship Packages are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Please join us in supporting the ongoing distribution of this publication. Consider showing your support for the world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology while enjoying some really incredible marketing benefits:
Dear Tidbits Subscriber,
1) Top 5 Most Clicked Tidbits From Last WeekA.) Think You Know ALL Windows 10 Keyboard Shortcuts? Find Out in Our Full List: (7.4% of all clicks.)
B.) Resources for Whenever Accessibility Goes Belly Up: (7.2% of all clicks.)
C.) Step by Step Screen Reader Navigation of the Parts of the Menu Ribbon | Blind Accessibility Tips YouTube Channel: (6.0% of all clicks.)
D.) Typing on iPhone and Rotor: (6.0% of all clicks.)
E.) Reading Recipes with Siri or Apple Watch: (5.1% of all clicks.)
2) Top Tech Tidbits "Most Clicked Tidbit" Weekly Contest | $250 USD Annual Cash Prize | Week #35 of 52Number of Votes Last Week: 11 | Number of Winners Last Week: 2 | Winner Names: Jenny Kate Lyon and Ka Li | Current Overall Winners: Maya, Kota Prabhu, Kate Crohan and Ka Li with 2 of 52 points each. | Current 2nd Place Winners: 14 Players with 1 of 52 points each. | How well do you know adaptive technology? Do you think that you could consistently identify adaptive technology trends if given the opportunity? Well here's your chance. You can now cast your vote each week for the one Tidbit that you believe will receive the most clicks. Get it right more than anyone else each week and you win a $250.00 USD cash prize at the end of the year (December 31st 2021). In addition, there may be opportunities for winners to join our editorial team. The premise is simple and voting is easy. Can you pick the one Tidbit out of each issue that will get the most clicks? If you think you can, or at least would like to try, learn everything there is to know about the contest here and start casting your vote today:
3) Top Tech Tidbits Sponsorship Packages. Two Currrently Available.Please help us to support the ongoing distribution of this publication. Join 10 other AT industry leaders and begin reaching over 6,700 assistive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week for just $25 a week. There's nothing else quite like it in the industry. And that's just the exposure that you'll receive. The additional marketing benefits are pretty amazing too. If this sounds intriguing to you, please reach out to our publisher today at: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉. Or learn more at:
4) Top Tech Tidbits Contributors. Now Anyone Can Submit A Tidbit. Here's How It Works.With the announcement from Dean Martineau last week that he would be transitioning from Senior Editor to Guest Contributor many readers have asked whose voice they will be hearing within Tidbits editorial going forward. That distinction, for now at least, will reside with myself, Aaron Di Blasi, Publisher. In order to make it as easy as possible for anyone to share an important Tidbit with other Tidbit readers, we have created and made public a short form on the Tidbits website that anyone can now use to submit a potential Tidbit for consideration. This form covers ...
5) Top Tech Tidbits Seeks Editorial Contributor To Join Our Team. Paid Position. Fully Remote. Details Here.Top Tech Tidbits is seeking a 3rd Editorial Contributor to join our team here at Top Tech Tidbits. Complete details here ...
6) Windows 11 Available on October 5th 2021Last Tuesday Windows announced that Windows 11 will start to become available on October 5th 2021. On this day, the free upgrade to Windows 11 will begin rolling out to eligible Windows 10 PCs and PCs that come pre-loaded with Windows 11 will start to become available for purchase:
7) Aira News for August 2021https://aira.io/aira-news-august-2021
8) The AT Social Hub: We Need to Talk About WeWalk (YouTube Video: August 22nd 2021)We've heard about the WeWALK cane on a previous instalment of the AT Social Hub. When walking, WeWALK vibrates to inform you of low-hanging obstacles that the bottom of a cane may typically miss, such as a sign or tree branch. Additionally, you can pair your cane to the WeWALK app on your iOS or Android device via Bluetooth to make use of WeWALK's smart features. But, how does it work in practical terms from a user's perspective in everyday life? Our own Stuart Beveridge has just received his WeWALK and put it through its paces as only Stuart can:
9) The Best Text to Speech Extensions for ChromeThese Chrome extensions can read text aloud for you:
10) AppleVis Unlimited: What's New and Noteworthy for August 2021https://www.applevis.com/newsletter/applevis-unlimited-whats-new-and-noteworthy-august-2021
11) How Apple's HomePod Mini Finally Gives Blind People an Affordable HomeKit HubFinally, a usable and affordable HomeKit hub a blind person can enjoy. A nice speaker you can use with AirPlay too, at half the price of an Apple TV. VoiceOver works great on it with no hardware modifications. It's a considerable win:
12) The AT Social Hub: Mobility Magic with NaviBelt and UltraCane! (YouTube Video: August 5th 2021)The AT Social Hub is back with another exciting session driven by your tech experiences! For our next session, the 2 Stuart's will be taking a look at the NaviBelt by FeelSpace and the UltraCane. The vibrating NaviBelt makes paths and directions tangible. Experience a completely new feeling of space! Simply put on the NaviBelt, enter a destination with the help of your smartphone and you will immediately feel where you are going. True to the motto: Always follow your gut feeling!
13) These Smart Lenses Could Help Restore Sight to Visually Impaired IndividualsCalifornian startup Mojo Vision is working on a novel concept of contact lenses featuring a screen capable of transcribing images in augmented reality. Still at the prototype stage, it could eventually help visually impaired people better understand their environment:
14) Take Control of Just About Anything with Take Control BooksTake Control books are offered in multiple non-DRM formats including PDF, ePub, and Mobi format which makes it easy to read them on just about any device you choose. Yes, they do not use DRM or copy protection, because, as they put it, "our ebooks do not use copy protection because it makes life harder for everyone. So we ask a favor of our readers. If you want to share your copy of an ebook you've bought with a friend, please do so as you would with a physical book, meaning that if your friend uses it regularly, they should buy a copy":
➜ Press Releases and Other News
1) Blind Video Game Champion Takes on Twitch AudienceWith a joystick in one hand, a Braille device under the other and a mask over his eyes, BlindWarriorSven efficiently disposes of yet another opponent. "I put this mask on because sometimes people tell me I'm not really blind," he says with a smile, in reference to the sore losers he has beaten on the video game streaming site Twitch:
2) American Foundation for the Blind Announces Llura Gund Workforce Inclusion FundNew fund will devote resources to career pathways, diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives for jobseekers who are blind or have low vision:
3) More Companies Are Looking to Hire Accessibility SpecialistsAccessibility jobs, ranging from "head of accessibility" to "accessibility analyst," are increasing at a rapid pace across industries as companies strive to make their products and services more tailored to people with disabilities:
4) 3 Ways News Organizations Can Improve Accessibility Right NowBy considering the ways people navigate the digital world differently, news organizations can connect with their audiences in a more compassionate way:
5) Smart Home Technology Enhancements for the Visually ImpairedSmart home technology can provide visually impaired homeowners, in many cases, with more convenience and added safety than a smart home can provide to homeowners that aren't visually impaired. Smart home integrators need to understand the unique needs that visually impaired homeowners have to serve them properly:
6) Recognise These? Japan's Pavement 'Tenji Blocks' Guide Visually Impaired WorldwideThe tactile paving was invented in Japan more than 50 years ago to help those with visual impairments move safely around urban environments "Tenji Blocks" have since gone global, becoming a familiar sight in cities around the world from London to Sydney:
7) WSU Researcher Awarded $100K for App That Helps Visually Impaired Read Comics, Graphic NovelsThe National Endowment for Humanities has awarded a Wichita State University researcher $100,000 for his work on developing an application that allows visually impaired people to read comic books and graphic novels, the university recently announced in a news release:
8) Toyota Halts Use of Self-Driving Vehicle at Paralympic Village After Collision with Visually Impaired AthleteToyota has suspended use of all of its self-driving e-Palette transportation pods at the Tokyo Paralympic Games village:
9) HSBC UK Uses New Card Designs in Bid for Greater AccessibilityHSBC UK has announced a new range of redesigned credit and debit cards. The new designs are intended to make banking more accessible to people with dementia, visual impairments, color blindness, learning difficulties and dyslexia:
➜ Featured Podcast Episodes
1) Outdoors with Lawrence Gunther 32: Climbing Mountains Blind One Finger at a Time (Part 2-of-2)August 20th 2021 | On this, our final episode of season one, Outdoors with Lawrence Gunther celebrates by having Ms Lilly reveal her top five favorite episodes from the past year. We present the second half of our conversation with blind mountain climber Erik Weihenmayer, and Lawrence offers tips and some reflections on experiencing the outdoors. Tune in to AMI Audio for all the fun or download the podcast:
2) Mosen At Large 145August 28th 2021 A COVID-19 Ccheck-In, Blind People in the Media, and Flying to Canada Now Takes Extra Effort:
3) Blind Android Users 38 | Video streaming services, which one is yours?August 28th 2021 | In this show we talk all about video streaming apps. We demo Youtube app on android and Facebook. We then have an unboxing Party in which we have unboxing and review of Samsung Galaxy Z flip and review of Xperia M1 III. We have the 4th episode in the highlights from talkback. We show you how to read articles when browsing using Google assistant and skip all unwanted adds:
4) Eyes on Success 2136 Combining Computer Science with Social SciencesSeptember 1st 2021
Bhavya Shah grew up in India where blind students were often dissuaded from certain studies and careers and where many textbooks could not be obtained in an accessible format. Hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey talk with Bhavya about how he overcame these challenges and now combines his skills in computer science with his interest in social science to contribute to research projects:
➜ Featured Webinars and Training Courses
1) Transitioning to JAWS - A 12-Week WorkshopSeptember 7th 2021 Through November 23rd 2021| 3PM PT, 4PM MT, 5PM CT, 6PM ET, 10PM GMT | JAWS is a paid screen reader widely used in educational, corporate and governmental environments, and it's installed on every PC in the New York Public Library system. Perhaps you already have JAWS but need to brush up your skills, or maybe you're considering whether to purchase the program. If you know how to type, understand Windows basics, can commit to attending twelve sessions, and would like to become more confident and proficient with the JAWS screen reader, this workshop is for you! Please plan to join us each week for a hands-on lesson and discussion. This workshop also includes a group mailing list where you can post your questions and discoveries for other members of your cohort to read and respond. We'll cover the basics of customizing JAWS settings, getting around in Windows 10, working with text, managing files and folders and exploring the web. This workshop will be limited to 25 participants, so please apply to participate soon!
2) iBUG Introductory Mac Training CourseSeptember 7th 2021 This 12-week course is free, and you are expected to work, attend and participate. It starts Tuesday, September 7th 2021. Email by August 27th 2021 to see the requirements you have to adhere to, and provide the model or year of your Mac:
3) Intro to NVDA: A 12-Week WorkshopSeptember 8th 2021 Through November 24th 2021 | 12PM PT, 1PM MT, 2PM CT, 3PM ET, 7PM GMT | There are several Windows screen readers to choose from. NVDA is an increasingly popular option, created by blind developers and freely available all over the world. Come discover how this free- open-source option compares. If you know how to type, understand Windows basics, can commit to attending twelve sessions, and would like to become more confident and proficient with the NVDA screen reader, this workshop is for you! Please plan to join us each week for a hands-on lesson and discussion. This workshop also includes a group mailing list where you can post your questions and discoveries for other members of your cohort to read and respond. We'll cover the basics of customizing NVDA settings, getting around in Windows 10, working with text, managing files and folders and exploring the web. This workshop will be limited to 25 participants, so please apply to participate soon!
4) Managing Folders, Files, and Drives With a Screen Reader Part 2 - Access IngenuitySeptember 8th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | Join Ian Ramos and Zhi Huang from Access Ingenuity as they explain the File Explorer interface of Windows 10 and provide many examples and tips to manage your folders, files, and drives. Although this is a part 2, attendees would still benefit from this even if they didn't attend part 1. In addition, please feel free to contact us if you would like access to the part 1 recording. Learning Outcomes: Understand folder paths to manage and locate your drives, folders, and files. Discover how to work with the Tree View and List View and how they affect each other. Explore the different ways to access various commands such as select, cut, copy, paste, rename, delete, and more. Meeting ID: 874 6987 8574 | Passcode: 109862 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,87469878574#,,,,*109862# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose):
5) TOPAZ Ultra Training WebinarSeptember 9th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | Are you looking for the functionality of a desktop video magnifier but the flexibility to take it with you from room to room? The TOPAZ Ultra offers the same reading comfort, ease of use, and functionality as a desktop video magnifier — but in a compact and foldable design. Join Mike Wood as he goes over all the features and benefit of TOPAZ Ultra:
6) Alexa Games Presentation - Technology User GroupSeptember 11th 2021 | 7AM PT, 8AM MT, 9AM CT, 10AM ET, 2PM GMT | On Saturday, September 11th 2021 The Technology User Group is pleased to present a morning of games with your Alexa device. Whether you are using an Echo Show, Dot, Flex, Fire, phone or computer app, there are hundreds of games available on this operating platform but only 60 minutes to tell you about the top ones. Come and witness the best and worst that the AI world has to offer. You do not have to RSVP for this event. The presentation will last about an hour. This presentation will be virtual and may be joined by calling:
(319) 527-4994 ☎
7) ONYX PRO: Next Generation Magnifier / Reader From Freedom Scientific - Access IngenuitySeptember 15th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | Join Ian Ramos from Access Ingenuity and special guests Joe McDaniel and Mike Woods from Freedom Scientific as we demonstrate the new ONYX PRO. The ONYX PRO easily connects to Microsoft Surface Pro 7 to magnify text or have text read aloud. Just place your Surface Pro 7 in the ONYX PRO stand, unfold the camera, and attach the camera to the stand and you are ready to go. Featuring a dual-camera design for flexibility, one camera allows you to easily go from near magnification to distance viewing. The second camera is dedicated to Document OCR (optical character recognition) mode that scans printed text and reads it back to you out loud in a clear and natural voice. The ONYX PRO is great for reading books, magazines, mail, and more! Learning Outcomes: Discover how the ONYX PRO takes us to the next level of portable magnifying/reading solutions. Understand the features and capabilities of the ONYX PRO. Explore how the ONYX PRO excels in the classroom, office or at home. Meeting ID: 870 4246 8742 | Passcode: 216057 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,87042468742#,,,,*216057# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
8) Accessing and Customizing Windows 10 Settings With Assistive Technology - Access IngenuitySeptember 22nd 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | Join Ian Ramos, Mark Schafer, and Zhi Huang from Access Ingenuity as they explain the Settings App of Windows 10 and provide many examples and tips to better navigate, search, and customize your Windows 10 Settings. Unlike previous versions of Windows, most settings are now customized under the new Settings App of Windows 10. In some cases, changes will not take place unless configured in Settings. For example, even if you agree to make the current browser the default within that browser, it now still needs to be finalized in Settings. Learning Outcomes: Introduce the different ways to open the Settings App. Understand the Settings layout and how to use keyboard commands to best navigate the various options. Discover the different ways to search for specific settings. Explore some popular settings such as setting default apps, Windows Updates, managing devices, and more. Meeting ID: 825 5600 7846 | Passcode: 418662 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,82556007846#,,,,*418662# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose):
9) Can Everybody See My Screen?September 22nd 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | After more than a year of adjusting to a remote work environment, we still rely heavily on technology to present and collaborate among teams. However, it's important to remember that different people perceive information, well, differently. And virtual communication is no exception. Join TPGi Accessibility Engineer, Doug Abrams, WAS, to discuss what it means to be inclusive when presenting over video calls. In our introductory webinar, we will discuss some of the challenges people with visual disabilities may encounter when attending a virtual presentation, as well as helpful techniques to make your presentation more accessible. Register today!
10) A Closer Look at the New Envision Glasses - Access IngenuitySeptember 29th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | Join Ian Ramos, Mark Schafer, and Zhi Huang from Access Ingenuity for a look at the exciting new Envision glasses. The Envision glasses use the cutting edge Google Glasses platform as a way for a visually impaired user to gain access to their environment. They give you the ability to scan text, be it handwritten notes, books or your favorite recipe. Using the built in camera, you can call someone and have them see from your point of view, to help you pick out the perfect outfit or help you navigate a challenging obstacle. Join us to learn more about the additional features these glasses offer and how they differ from other wearable technologies currently on the market. Attendees from previous presentations on the glasses can still benefit from this since new features will be introduced. In addition, there are plans to present some live examples of the call feature for a blind person to get help during this presentation! Learning Outcomes: Convenience of using the Scan Text and Instant Text features. How Scene Description can offer more independence. How the glasses use cutting edge technology to help you do more. Explore new features since our last glasses presentation. Benefits and uses of the Video Call feature. Meeting ID: 856 9427 2978 | Passcode: 248303 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,85694272978#,,,,*248303# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
11) Native Mobile Application TestingSeptember 30th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | The number of apps for mobile devices is ever-growing. It's important that mobile apps be accessible and inclusive, but it's easy to feel overwhelmed by the thought of incorporating them into your accessibility-evaluation strategy. Join TPGi Accessibility Engineer Laurie Pagano for an introduction to some of the mobile-device settings, assistive technologies, and other tools that you can add to your accessibility-testing toolbox. Set yourself up for success so you can start testing native mobile apps for accessibility conformance today. Register today!
12) 2021 M-Enabling Summit - Promoting Accessible Technologies and EnvironmentsOctober 4th - 6th 2021 | The M-Enabling Summit Conference and Showcase is dedicated to promoting digital environments and assistive technologies for senior citizens and users of all abilities. It is an annual meeting place for all who implement digital inclusion strategies or develop assistive solutions and accessible digital contents and services for workplaces, learning environments or consumer markets:
13) Sense-Ability. Using the BrailleSense 6! | Paid Course | Hartgen ConsultingOctober 6th 2021 | 11AM PT, 12PM MT, 1PM CT, 2PM ET, 6 GMT | While the BrailleSense 6 is a relatively new product, largely due to previous devices offered by its manufacturers it has already established itself as a power house for work and entertainment. Find out how it works in a way which makes Braille Sense!
14) Accessing Higher Ground Accessible Media, Web and Technology Conference by Association on Higher Education And Disability (AHEAD)November 15th 2021 Through November 19th 2021 | Presented and hosted by AHEAD, Accessing Higher Ground is conducted in collaboration with ATHEN:
15) 2nd Annual Sight Tech Global 2021December 1st & 2nd 2021 | 100% free. 100% virtual. Sight Tech Global is the first global, virtual conference dedicated to fostering discussion among technology pioneers on how rapid advances in AI and related technologies will fundamentally alter the landscape of assistive technology and accessibility. Registration is now open:
1) Availability Of Healthcare Information To Blind And Visually Impaired Healthcare Users During The COVID PandemicClsoe Date: September 30th 2021 Dear Listers, this is Sushil Oswal from the University of Washington. I am the principal investigator on a survey about the availability of healthcare information to blind and low-vision consumers during the past 18 months. This is an important survey for our blindness community because it will give us an opportunity to express our experiences of finding healthcare information during the COVID-19 pandemic. Please give us as much of your personal experiences as you can so that our study could create a comprehensive picture of the healthcare information barriers blind people face particularly under pandemic conditions. We will do a small draw of ten $25 gift cards for this survey. Besides publishing in academic journals, we will be producing a report on the basis of this healthcare information survey which will be shared with as many local and state-level health departments as possible. This report will also be available to blindness community at large. To complete the survey, please click the link below. If you have any questions about the survey, or you have difficulty completing the survey, please email me at email@example.com ✉. Our human subjects approval includes a permission to conduct this survey over the phone if necessary. So, do not hesitate to email me privately if you face computer issues while completing this survey. My co-investigator and I will maintain your privacy in all possible circumstances:
1) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Listserv Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-listserv-directory.html
2) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Podcast Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-podcast-directory.html
3) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Game Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-game-directory.html
➜ Buy, Sell or Trade
1) FOR SALE: One Focus 14 Braille DisplayListing Date: 8/19/2021 | Price: $850.00 USD | Condition: Gently Used. | Description: This Braille display was only used during a couple of training sessions. Carrying case and all adaptors/charger included. | Contact: Email firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ or call Jane at (415) 858-8436 ☎. |
2) FOR SALE: Mathcaster for Amazon Alexa. Just Say "Alexa, Open Mathcaster"Listing Date: 8/19/2021 | Price: $1.00 USD | Condition: New. | Description: Mathcaster is suitable for ages between 8-12 and is free to play. This Alexa Skill is a perfect resource to help children improve and develop their math skills. Learn more at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B094NDXMKF?ref&ref=cm_sw_tw_r_as_dp_KypaG8Iu9kJBy. | Contact: Email email@example.com ✉ or call Nicholas at (724) 466-2087 ☎. |
3) FOR SALE: Escape from 63rd & Wallace. Just say "Alexa, Open Escape 63rd"Listing Date: 8/19/2021 | Price: $4.00 USD | Condition: New. | Description: Escape from 63rd is an horror audio adventure that takes the listener on a journey to Chicago in 1893, following Charlene, a young woman searching for her sister. Learn more at: https://poptale.com/releases/escape-from-63rd-and-wallace/. | Contact: Email firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ or call Nicholas at (724) 466-2087 ☎. |
4) FOR SALE: The Cursed Painting Audio RPG. Just say "Alexa, open the Cursed Painting"Listing Date: 8/19/2021 | Price: $1.00 USD | Condition: New. | Description: Explore ancient ruins in order to uncover the secret of the Cursed Painting, and stop the undead curse plaguing the kingdom in this Interactive Fantasy Adventure Game, inspired by classic tabletop RPG's. Learn more at: https://poptale.com/releases/the-cursed-painting/. | Contact: Email email@example.com ✉ or call Nicholas at (724) 466-2087 ☎. |
5) FOR SALE: One Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Ad (Just like this one.)Price: $5.00 USD | Description: List your new, gently-used or refurbished item in FOUR (4) consecutive issues of Top Tech Tidbits for just $5.00 USD. | Buy an Ad: Fill out this short 10-step form ✔ to secure your Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Advertisement today. | Learn more at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/buy-sell-trade.html 🌐 |
Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor Classified Ads:
➜ 3 Easy Steps To Accessible Shared Content For Your Remote Presentations: Rid Digital Darkness For Blind Attendee's Forever!
It's as easy as 1-2-3. Upload content... Copy a link... and paste the link in chat. Attendees never wonder what's shared on screen during online presentations. Upload slides within 5 minutes of presenting. Attendees can download content in multiple formats to view later. Eliminate digital darkness at your next online event with Scribe for Meetings. Get in on our, "Accessible Meetings and webinars for Life," introductory offer. Reseller opportunities available to expand your businesses accessibility offerings.
Sponsor Since: June 3rd 2021
Website: https://pneumasolutions.com/ 🌐
Email Newsletter: Click here to receive periodic news via email concerning Pneuma Solutions products for business, consumers and education.
Sales: (866) 202-0520 ☎
Support: (650) 249-1000 ☎
About: Backed by two decades of creating award-winning accessible cloud technologies for people with visual impairments, Pneuma Solutions is the global leader in accessible cloud-based solutions. Pneuma Solutions was founded by long-time accessibility developers Mike Calvo and Matt Campbell. For more information on their individual profiles, click on their respective bio pages. We're proud to be the first company to develop cloud-based accessibility at the network level. Our tools provide organizations, like yours, a way to deliver secure, accessible information right from your network or from our secure servers. You can provide your print disabled consumers, students, employees, and citizens with a multitude of accessible options. Additionally, we offer a suite of cloud-based applications to blind and print disabled consumers directly from our website. Our consumer products are designed to make the day-to-day lives of blind and print disabled individuals more accessible and simpler to manage. Access to information is not a privilege, it's a right. It's also your right to obtain affordable, accessible cloud solutions to serve your end user. When organizations like yours implement our tools, together we help make it a more inclusive world for people with disabilities. Want to know more about how we can help you become more inclusive?
Contact us here. We'll be happy to discuss how our tools can help with your accessibility needs.
➜ Freedom Scientific Focus Blue 5th Generation Refreshable Braille Displays
Our world-class refreshable Braille displays deliver efficient Braille input and outstanding output for your PC or mobile device. The robust Bluetooth® connectivity provides seamless use with Windows®, Mac®, iPhones®, iPads®, and AndroidTM smartphones and tablets. Ergonomic navigation features allow quick, natural hand movements for greater productivity. When used with JAWS® screen reading software, they support our popular Braille Study Mode, an interactive tool for teaching and learning Braille. Learn more today:
Sponsor Since: April 15th 2021
Website: https://www.freedomscientific.com/ 🌐
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
Phone: (800) 444-4443 ☎
About: Freedom Scientific, a Vispero brand, is a leading worldwide brand of assistive technology products for those with vision impairments. We offer products designed to promote independence, allowing blind and low vision individuals the same access to information as their sighted peers. World-renowned JAWS (Job Access With Speech) screen reading software and ZoomText screen magnification software provide users the independence and ability to seek education and obtain or maintain a career after vision loss. Our expansive product line includes both low vision and blindness technology for all aspects of daily living. The wide range of RUBY, TOPAZ, and ONYX desktop and portable video magnifiers are designed for their ease of use and assist with daily activities. Our impressive line of blindness hardware products include refreshable Braille displays and scanning and reading devices, offering many options tailored to fit individual needs.
➜ VisionAware Resources Including the Directory of Services
APHConnectCenter has resources to help blind and low vision people thrive. In addition to the Reader's Digest Getting Started with Vision Loss Guide You can also check out the Directory of Services to locate resources in your community for living with blindness and low vision. https://visionaware.org/
Sponsor Since: March 4th 2021
Website: https://aphconnectcenter.org/ 🌐
Email: email@example.com ✉
APH ConnectCenter Information and Referral Line:
Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM ET
About: The APH ConnectCenter offers curated advice and resources to assist children, parents, adults, and job seekers who are blind or visually impaired, and their associated professionals, leading to greater independence and success in their lives.
➜ BRAILLIANT Renewed! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series is here!
The wait is over! A redefined family of Brailliant refreshable Braille displays has arrived! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series will help you stay connected, download books from many participating online libraries and share information easily with your peers. You will enjoy the intuitive, seamless user experience of KeySoft Lite, the HumanWare flagship accessibility suite designed to make you more productive. Including the Brailliant BI 40X and the Brailliant BI 20X, this is the Brailliant idea you need!
Sponsor Since: February 4th 2021
Website: http://humanware.com/ 🌐
Phone (Asia): +61 2 9686 2600 ☎
YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRWVYiggn-w 🎥
About: HumanWare is the global leader in assistive technology for people who are blind or have low vision. HumanWare offers a wide range of innovative products, including the BrailleNote Touch, first Google certified braille tablet, the iOS compatible Brailliant braille displays, Victor Reader®, the world's leading family of digital audiobook players, the unique Prodigi® family of desktop and portable vision and reading systems, and the ultra-portable explore line of electronic handheld magnifier.
➜ Accessible Pharmacy Joins Be My Eyes
Accessible Pharmacy, the new, home delivery pharmacy with a blind founder, is bringing its full range of support and services to Be My Eyes. Users of the Be My Eyes app can now call Accessible Pharmacy directly to get support with medication, medical devices, and even home delivery COVID testing. With a fully trained and discreet pharmacy staff on call from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM Pacific, Accessible Pharmacy is the new way for blind and low vision consumers to get an easy, frictionless pharmacy experience. Call today — and you'll never have to take an Uber to the drugstore again.
Lead Contact: Will Butler, VP of Community
Sponsor Since: November 5th 2020
Website: https://www.bemyeyes.com/ 🌐
Download The App (iOS):
Download The App (Android):
About: Be My Eyes is a free mobile app that allows anyone who needs video support to get assistance from a dynamic range of volunteers and company customer support professionals from around the world. With more than 4 million volunteers and dozens of companies offering on-demand visual interpretation and support, Be My Eyes is a free, unlimited way to bridge gaps and get access to whatever information you need — 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in any language. Download the app today from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
➜ LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired Adaptations Online Store Featured Products
Revolution Cane Tip: Standard Roller Tip: $14.50 | Locator Dots: Small Pack of 6 (Clear or Orange): $2.00 | NFB Metal Cane Tip: $3.00 | TMAP - On Demand Tactile Street | Map (set of two maps): $25.00 | Ambutech Aluminum Folding Cane: $35.00 | NFB Chris Park Telescoping Cane: $45.00 | BoldWriter 20 Pen (Individual or 6-pack): $2.00 | Bump Dots: Mixed (50 count): $7.00 | Braille Apple Catalina VoiceOver Guide OSX 10.15 (3 volumes) - Latest Manual: $52.00 | SpeedDots iPhone Tactile Screen Protector, Phone Layout: $12.00 | NFB Chris Park 7-Piece Folding Cane: $50.00 | Visit https://adaptations.org/ to learn more today!
Sponsor Since: October 1, 2020
Website: https://adaptations.org/ 🌐
Toll Free: (888) 400-8933 ☎
Local: (415) 694-7301 ☎
About: Founded in 1902, San Francisco's LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired promotes the independence, equality and self-reliance of people who are blind or have low vision. Adaptations is your online go-to for tools, technology, and accessible solutions for blind and visually impaired people.
➜ Build A Foundational Understanding Of Construction And Electronics With BRIC: Structures® Access Kit From APH - An Adapted Version Of An Educational Elenco® Product For Students Who Are Blind And Visually Impaired!
The BRIC: Structures® Access Kit combines ordinary building bricks with Snap Circuits® to create 26 projects, such as circuits and real-world structures, that run on electricity. Visit https://www.aph.org/product/bric-structures-access-kit/ to learn more.
Sponsor Since: July 2nd 2020
Website: https://www.aph.org/ 🌐
Toll Free and Customer Support: (800) 223-1839 ☎
Phone: (512) 895-2405 ☎
Fax: (512) 899-2284 ░
YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/WENRlCNDsxQ 🎥
Free Apps & Actions from APH: https://www.aph.org/free-apps-from-aph/ 📱
About: Since 1858, the American Printing House for the Blind has operated in Louisville, Kentucky as the world's largest nonprofit organization, creating accessible learning experiences through educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are blind and visually impaired. APH believes that the future belongs to everyone. By offering innovative products and services, APH opens up a door of opportunities for lifelong independence and success.
➜ GuideLights And Gadgets: August Specials
(1) New 5 pocket cowhide neck pouch for hands free phone use and access to the camera; easily carry your essentials for the day; $45.00 incl. shipping. (2) Our new 7 section aluminum telescopic non-collapsing canes in 59 or 48 inch lengths; $55 incl. shipping. (3) New 17x12 inch leather rucksack backpack made of heavy duty cowhide that will last many years. Fold over flap with cord for closing with 3 additional pockets; $90 incl. shipping. (4) Ultimate 20 cell Braille display protection; re-purposed leather concealed weapons case is the best to safely use and carry your display; $75.00 incl. shipping. New Catalog: https://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/Gadgets.html. Call Barry (617) 969-7500 ☎ or email firstname.lastname@example.org ✉.
Sponsor Since: June 25th 2020
Website: http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/ 🌐
About: Our Scope of Products: We specialize in 3 lines of products, all intended to assist in access to adaptive electronics, enhance experiences for guide dog teams, and offer practical solutions for organization and travel with a variety of leather bags, pouches, and backpacks. Then there are the random products that are included, just for fun! We enjoy working with our customers 1-on-1 to their money is well spent and not wasted on something they may not use. In thinking about our customers and whether we will carry a product our guiding motto is that it must be: practical, affordable, simple, tested, and accessible (the pasta principle) and it seems to work very well.
What We Do: We bring our business either via zoom, phone, or to your conference or convention, to give each customer a chance for questions and where possible, "hands on" evaluation of the merchandise. Kae and I test and use each product as blind users before we put it in our catalog. In the case of products for guide and service dogs, our own three guides, Thor, Debra and Melody, are engaged in the process of evaluating the usefulness, durability, and/or fun of the product. We want each of our products to be useful, accessible, afforable, and, whenever possible, fun! Our inventory is constantly changing, so a visit to us is never the same experience twice!
➜ Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub
If you're like me, you probably have more things to plug into your computer than available ports. That's why we've now added the Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub. Plug it into your laptop and you will get 3 USB ports, SD and Micro SD card slots, a USBC charging port, and an HDMI video port. It's available now for just $29.95:
Sponsor Since: June 11th 2020
Website: https://www.atguys.com/ 🌐
Phone: (269) 216-4798 ☎
Email: email@example.com ✉
Skype: atguys ✆
Twitter: https://twitter.com/atguys (@atguys) ✍
Facebook: https://facebook.com/atguys ✍
About: ATGuys.com. Your access technology experts, home for cool gadgets, accessories, and more. Our products are all tested to work great for blind and visually impaired users but also work just as well for anyone. If there's an item you're looking for, or if you have a question, please don't hesitate to send us a message or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
➜ Voice Training
Would you like to learn to control your computer with your voice, or to create documents using your voice rather than the keyboard? There are several tools to accomplish these objectives. I can provide training in their use. Write to me if interested at:
Editor, Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
Website: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/ 🌐
About: Dean Martineau is the Founder and a Contributing Editor to the Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter.
➜ Screen Reader User Tester Training Program at the Carroll Center for the Blind
Want to break into the digital accessibility field as a screen reader user tester? Through the Carroll Center for the Blind's all new 6-week intensive Screen Reader User Tester Training program, participants can learn and grow their ability to professionally explore, test, and report findings regarding the accessibility of websites, mobile applications, and digital document files using screen readers. To learn more about the User Tester program, visit:
Sponsor Since: August 5th 2021
Website: https://carroll.org/ 🌐
Phone: (617) 969-6200 ☎Fax: (617) 969-6204 ░
Shop: https://carroll.org/store/ 🛒
Donate: https://carroll.org/donate ❤
About: The Carroll Center for the Blind is the foremost leader in vision rehabilitation services for individuals confronted by the challenges of vision loss. Our mission is to empower those who are blind or visually impaired to achieve independence and to lead a fulfilling life. Established in 1936, the renowned Carroll Center for the Blind has been serving those with vision impairment for over eight decades; we are known nationally as a premier Vision Rehabilitation Center. Located just outside of Boston on a sprawling campus in Newton, Massachusetts, we proudly serve ALL ages and ALL stages of vision loss. With the ongoing promise of improving the lives of people with vision-related problems, The Carroll Center for the Blind has pioneered many innovative services allowing people who are blind or have low vision to learn the skills to be independent in their homes, in class settings, and in their work places. Our services include vision rehabilitation, vocational and transition programs, assistive technology training, educational support, and recreation opportunities for individuals who are visually impaired of all ages. For over 80 years, the expertise of Carroll Center staff has provided help for thousands of blind and visually impaired persons with diverse opportunities for success and independent living.
Top Tech Tidbits is a leading, not-for-profit adaptive technology publication that reaches over 7,000 adaptive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts, all over the world, each week.
Top Tech Tidbits offers a total of 12 Sponsorship Packages which are used to support the ongoing distribution of the publication.
There are 2 of 12 packages currently available.
If you would like to become a Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor, but there are no sponsorship packages currently available, we encourage you to join our waiting list by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉.
Once you have joined our waiting list we will notify you the next time a current sponsor decides not to renew. You will then have 72 hours to secure your sponsorship before it is offered to the next sponsor on the list.
When available you can secure one of these packages for just $325.00 USD for the next 3 months, or save $100.00 USD and join us for the year. All Sponsorship Packages are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Please help us to support the ongoing distribution of this publication. Consider showing your support for the world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology while enjoying these incredible benefits. Learn more today at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
Top Tech Tidbits Supporters:
We couldn't do it without you! Thank you for your support!
Tidbits Supporters donate an amount of their choosing on an annual basis in order to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication.
If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support.
In tandem with Our Sponsors, these are the people that make the ongoing distribution of Tidbits possible:
1.) Gary Lee
2.) Anonymous Donation
3.) Pshon Barrett
1.) Howard Goldstein
2.) David Goldstein
3.) Katherine Crohan
1.) Your name here. Help support Tidbits today.
1.) Steven Wettlaufer
2.) Shaun Everiss
Top Tech Tidbits Subscription Information:
ABOUT:Founded in 2004, Top Tech Tidbits is a leading not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 7,000 assistive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week. Sign up here. Review the archive here. Adaptive Technology refers to items that are specifically designed for people with disabilities. Adaptive Technology is a subset of Assistive Technology. Adaptive Technology often refers specifically to electronic and information technology access. Top Tech Tidbits is a Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication. Publisher: Aaron Di Blasi. Contributing Editors: John Hanlin, Jenna Lang. Top Tech Tidbits is a sponsor and reader supported publication.
RELEASE SCHEDULE:Top Tech Tidbits is released every Thursday morning at 4:00 AM ET.
SUBSCRIBE:Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive the Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to receive the Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter on the Top Tech Tidbits Website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com or by (SMS) texting "TOPTECHTIDBITS" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving the Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter. It's that easy.
SPONSOR:If you would like to become 1 of only 18 Top Tech Tidbits Sponsors whose annual support makes the distribution of Top Tech Tidbits possible, we offer you the following benefits, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
SUPPORT:If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/donate.html.
WEBSITE:Visit the Top Tech Tidbits website online at https://www.toptechtidbits.com.
FACEBOOK:Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Facebook News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/facebook.
TWITTER:Are you on Twitter? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Twitter News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/twitter.
LINKEDIN:Are you on LinkedIn? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your LinkedIn News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/linkedin.
YOUTUBE:Are you on YouTube? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your YouTube Video Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/youtube.
RSS:Do you prefer RSS? Follow Top Tech Tidbits via RSS today to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology using your choice of news aggregator: https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits.
QUESTIONS:Tidbits are intentionally concise. As a result we know that some readers may not always understand all of the items listed because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVEVisit the Top Tech Tidbits Archive at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/archive.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT CONTRIBUTORS:Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be submitted online via our Top Tech Tidbit Submission Form at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/submit-tidbit or directed to our Editors at: email@example.com.
|Home: Top Tech Tidbits||News: Top Tech Tidbits||Subscribe: Top Tech Tidbits||Donate: Top Tech Tidbits||Search: Top Tech Tidbits||Facebook: Top Tech Tidbits||Twitter: Top Tech Tidbits||LinkedIn: Top Tech Tidbits||YouTube: Top Tech Tidbits||RSS: Top Tech Tidbits||Back to Top|
Information provided by: