Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, September 16, 2021 - Volume 824
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication
Top Tech Tidbits. The world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology.
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Blind Mice Mega Mall Sponsors Top Tech Tidbits! One Sponsorship Package Available! Join 11 Other AT Industry Leaders in Supporting Tidbits While Reaching Over 6,700 Assistive Technology Professionals, Educators and Enthusiasts Each Week! All For Just $25 A Week!
Secure an available package today for just $325.00 USD for the next 3 months, or save $100.00 USD and join us for the year. All Sponsorship Packages are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Please join us in supporting the ongoing distribution of this publication. Consider showing your support for the world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology while enjoying some really incredible marketing benefits:
Dear Tidbits Subscriber,
1) Top 5 Most Clicked Tidbits From Last WeekA.) Introduction to RoboBraille: (7.4% of all clicks.)
B.) Notes on Synthetic Speech | September 3rd 2021: (5.4% of all clicks.)
C.) Technology Blog and Podcast By Shaun Everiss: (4.7% of all clicks.)
D.) 10 Best eBook Reader Apps for Android You Need to Know: (4.6% of all clicks.)
E.) In-Process for September 3rd 2021: (4.5% of all clicks.)
2) Now Sponsoring Top Tech Tidbits: Blind Mice Mega Mall | One Sponsorship Package Currently AvailablePlease join all of us here at Tidbits in welcoming aboard Blind Mice Mega Mall, who has so very graciously agreed to support the ongoing distribution of Top Tech Tidbits by becoming a sponsor. If you look forward to Tidbits every week, it is sponsors like Blind Mice Mega Mall that make it possible. Join 11 other AT industry leaders in supporting Tidbits and begin reaching over 6,700 assistive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week for just $25 a week. There's nothing else quite like it. And that's just the exposure that you'll receive. The additional marketing benefits are pretty amazing too. If this sounds intriguing to you, please reach out to our publisher today at: email@example.com ✉. Or learn more at:
3) Top Tech Tidbits Paid Editorial Contributor Positions. Application Acceptance Now Closed. Two New Editors To Be Announced Next Week. New Editors To Begin Contributing To Top Tech Tidbits Beginning October 7th 2021Application acceptance for both paid Editorial Contributor positions is now closed. Sincerest and most heartfelt thanks to everyone who applied. I truly wish that we could have selected each and every one of you. But in keeping Top Tech Tidbits a not-for-profit publication we are only able to sustain two paid editors at any one time. So needless to say we were forced to make some really tough decisions. If you applied, but we weren't able to offer you a position, we encourage you to become a Guest Contributor by sending in Tidbits when you come across them using the Tidbit Submission Form below or on the Top Tech Tidbits website. If your Tidbits are approved often enough we will offer you a profile on our Partners Page which can help to increase your exposure to Tidbits readers as an authority in Assistive Technology:
Partners Page: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/partners.html
Submit A Tidbit: https://toptechtidbits.com/submit-tidbit
4) Powerpoint Tips for JAWS: Inserting Videos and Managing Hyperlinks (YouTube)Courtesy of the Freedom Scientific Training YouTube Channel:
5) Accessible-Coconut: The Ideal Linux Distro for the Visually ImpairedAccessible-Coconut is a community-driven Linux distro aimed at providing a great Linux experience to blind and low-vision people:
6) HaptiBraille Communicator | A New And Innovative Device That Allows Deafblind Persons To Speak in a Synthesized Voice and Hear the Speech of the Interlocutor | YouTube VideoThis information comes to us from 4Blind at https://4blind.com/en. 4Blind undertakes research to develop, create and produce innovative engineering solutions for both blind and deafblind people. 4Blind assists in meeting the needs of the blind and deaf-blind communities by expanding their opportunities and eliminating the barriers that people with disabilities face in communication, education, employment, transportation and independent living. The HaptiBraille device protects the interests and rights of deafblind people in personal and confidential matters. For example, when communicating with a doctor (confidentiality of certain medical records), in a bank (Bank Secrecy Act), or with a lawyer (Attorney Client Privilege). Earlier, communication with the deafblind was possible only with the presence of a third party, a special translator who knows a sign language. This is the world's first personal device for people with simultaneous visual, hearing and speech impairments (totally deafblind people), which allows them to speak in a synthesized voice and to "hear" the interlocutor's speech in return. This YouTube video demonstrates:.
7) GuideLights and Gadgets Announces New Talking OximeterGuideLights and Gadgets has announced a new talking oximeter that we find to be both easy to use and accurate. It uses one button to operate and delivers talking output in about 30 seconds. The introductory price for the remainder of September is $65, including shipping. For additional information, or to place an order, contact GuideLights and Gadgets at:
Phone: (617) 969-7500 ☎
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
8) Here's Everything Apple Announced at Its September 14th EventApple's highly anticipated iPhone 13 event took place on Tuesday,September 14th 2021 and we have tons of information to share. Apple kicked off its fall "California Streaming" show by immediately debuting an all-new and bigger iPad Mini, iPhone 13 Pro, and more, but surprisingly, there are no new AirPods:
9) NVDA 2021.2 ReleasedNV Access is pleased to announce that version 2021.2 of NVDA, the free screen reader for Microsoft Windows, is now available for download. We encourage all users to upgrade to this version. Highlights: NVDA 2021.2 introduces preliminary Windows 11 support. While Windows 11 is yet to be released, this release has been tested on preview versions of Windows 11. This includes an important fix for Screen Curtain (see important note). The COM Registration Fixing Tool can now resolve more problems when running NVDA. There are updates to the synthesizer eSpeak and braille translator LibLouis. There are also various bug fixes and improvements, notably for braille support and Windows terminals, calculator, emoji panel and clipboard history:
10) Windows 10 Keeps Freezing Up? 9 Ways to Fix ItYou're working on a project, playing a game, or browsing the web, and your Windows 10 computer keeps freezing up. You have to restart your computer. We've all been there. Why is this happening, and how can you fix it?
11) How to Dial An Extension on an iPhone & Save Extensions to Contacts (iOS 15 Update)Bypass phone trees by learning how to call an extension and how to add extensions to phone numbers in your iPhone Contacts:
12) First Public Beta of JAWS 2022 Now AvailableThe first public beta of JAWS 2022 is now available for anyone who wishes to test it and provide feedback and bug reports to Freedom Scientific. You can read about its new features and download it from the following link:
13) Better Voices for Office Read AloudThe Read Aloud feature in Word 365 and Outlook 365 is getting fewer but much better and realistic sounding voices:
14) How to Find the Hidden Files on Your Phone or ComputerYou shouldn't mess with some of them — but there are others you should be aware of:
15) KeePass 2.49 Password Manager is Out With Auto-Type, Accessibility and Usability ImprovementsThe developer of the KeePass password manager application, Dominik Reichl, released the new version KeePass 2.49 on September 10, 2021. KeePass is a powerful local password manager that can be extended in various forms, including through plugins that extend functionality and by installing third-party programs that are compatible. Using these tools, users may use KeePass in any browser and on any device that they are using, just like commercial password managers:
16) My Thoughts on The Victor Reader Trek From Humanware by David GoldfieldA couple of months ago I received my Victor Reader Trek. It was a device I never thought I would ever want to own but after using it for only a short time I'm now realizing that it's something I would not want to be without:
17) Learn How To Use Voiceover For Music And Entertainment Apps In This Series Of 6 Workshops From The Hadley Entertainment SeriesEpisodes include: iPhone/iPad VoiceOver: Music Library Basics. iPhone/iPad VoiceOver: Music Player Basics. iPhone/iPad VoiceOver: Audio Description Basics. iPhone/iPad VoiceOver: Audio Descriptions in iTunes. iPhone/iPad VoiceOver: The App Store. iPhone/iPad VoiceOver: Voice Dream Reader App:
18) Webinar Recording: Time to Refresh Your Shortcuts by Sight and Sound Technology | September 8th 2021Sharon Lyons is an employee of Sight and Sound Technology who loves keyboard shortcuts. A recent webinar from Sight and Sound features Sharon who shares some of her favorites in a YouTube video at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42-31ZBr0vQ&t=983s. Sharon also has her own Web site. Sharon's Shortcuts. Not only does it offer lists of keyboard shortcuts but you can even sign up to receive a weekly email containing a new keyboard shortcut to learn about at:
19) Shortwave Radios Keep Up With TechThere's still lots to listen to, and new ways to do it:
20) Smart Homes Made Simple: Your Guide to Smart Home Technology. A Downloadable Guide Written By The Pennsylvania Assistive Technology Foundation (PATF)Smart home technology can make it possible to live with greater independence, autonomy, safety, security, and joy. This guide has been written by Pennsylvania Assistive Technology Foundation (PATF) to help people with disabilities and older adults learn to successfully integrate smart home technology into their homes and lives. We hope this guide will empower you to explore the most current smart home technology, develop a framework to choose your technology, and build a team who can support you in achieving your goals:
21) Samsung Care Plus: What to Know About Samsung's Take on AppleCareWhat does Samsung Care Plus cover and is it worth getting? We read the fine print:
22) 11 Accessibility Hacks From and For the Disability Community on TikTokTikTok never ceases to amaze me, especially when it comes to its life hacks (who knew you could attach AirPods to your laptop?). With so many life-changing ways to make everyday jobs easier, it was clear to me that these disability and accessibility hacks (that I may or may not have found going down a TikTok rabbit hole) had to be shared. From hacks for blind people that make it easy to pour coffee to simpler ways to carry groceries as a wheelchair user — there are so many creative approaches to making everyday tasks easier. Ahead, find a few of our favorites we've discovered on the app, and feel free to journey down your own life hack rabbit hole: we won't judge:
➜ Press Releases and Other News
1) McDonald's Installs Vispero Technology in Kiosks for Blind, Low Vision CustomersMcDonald's has selected Vispero's assistive technology to provide blind and low vision customers with an accessible kiosk experience, according to a press release. Vispero's JAWS Kiosk has already been deployed to select McDonald's U.S. company-owned restaurants, as well as newly deployed kiosks in U.S. franchise locations:
2) FlickType Developer Suing Apple Again Over Apple Watch KeyboardResponding to Apple Watch Series 7's new QuickPath keyboard, the developer of seemingly similar app FlickType has tweeted that he plans to sue:
3) Why Linux Is More Accessible Than Windows and macOSLinux ships with several apps specially developed for differently-abled people. But what makes it better than other OSes in terms of accessibility?
4) Roots Food Group Signs Binding Letter of Intent With Be My Eyes to Provide Medically Tailored Meals to 5M+ Community of Volunteers, Blind, and Low-Vision IndividualsRoots Food Group, a mission-driven technology, healthcare, philanthropic and food company that believes in creating healthy outcomes through 'Food is Medicine', has signed a binding letter of intent with Be My Eyes to provide medically tailored meals to their community of 5M+ volunteers, blind and visually impaired individuals:
5) Accessibility Employment Opportunities At AppleWatchOS Accessibility Engineer
iOS Automation Accessibility Engineer
Accessibility Triage & Screening Analyst
6) Braille Ale Raspberry Gose Wins "Best Can Design" AwardThe limited-edition accessible beer is back for a second run after winning at the Craft Beer Marketing Awards:
7) Audio Killed The Video CallIs the future really audio? While the trendiness of audio-centric apps is exciting, they raise important concerns regarding accessibility for the blind and vision-impaired as well as Deaf and hard-of-hearing communities:
8) NIH-Funded Modern "White Cane" Brings Navigation Assistance to the 21st CenturyEquipped with a color 3D camera, an inertial measurement sensor, and its own on-board computer, a newly improved robotic cane could offer blind and visually impaired users a new way to navigate indoors. When paired with a building's architectural drawing, the device can accurately guide a user to a desired location with sensory and auditory cues, while simultaneously helping the user avoid obstacles like boxes, furniture, and overhangs:
9) 'Flying Blind" Play Shares Everyday Experiences of Blind and Visually Impaired IndividualsBlind or visually impaired (BVI) people navigate a world built for sighted people everyday, but how often do sighted people truly see these individuals or understand their experiences? The audio play Flying Blind! offers a candid look at life for BVI people, with plenty of insights for sighted folks to take note of. Produced by South Seattle-based Anything is Possible Theatre Company (AIP) and written by and with the blind and low-vision community, the play is a series of audio scenes, sounds, original songs, and music that together illustrate some situations BVI people encounter — situations that can be frustrating, misunderstood, or even comical:.
10) 'See': A Blind Consultant Is on the Crew to Ensure Visual Impairment Is Portrayed Realistically'See' takes place in an apocalyptic era after a virus wipes out the human population leaving two million surviving humans who lost their sense of sight. The series takes place six centuries later, where humanity has managed to live and adapt without sight and has found new ways to build, hunt, socially interact and do other things as they would with vision:
11) Americans With Disabilities Less Likely Than Those Without To Own Some Digital DevicesMore than 40 million people in the United States have a disability, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. But even as majorities of these Americans report having certain technologies, the digital divide between those who have a disability and those who do not remains for some devices:
➜ Featured Podcast Episodes
1) Blind Android Users 40 | It's Text Editing Time!September 11th 2021 | In this episode we talk about what is new in Android 12 Beta 5. We discuss the text editor apps that we use and demo notepad free and old school editor. We have a detailed demo of Voxmate app. We have another episode in our series of Commentary screen reader and Talkback tutorials. We have a tip of the week for Samsung phone users. To listen to this episode please visit this playlist:
2) Eyes on Success 2138 Maxima Computer Algebra SystemSeptember 15th 2021
Maxima is a computer algebra system (CAS) that enables the user to work with complex mathematical expressions. Hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey talk with Robert Dodier, one of the developers of Maxima, about the capabilities of this free, open source program and also demonstrate how it can be used with a screen reader by those who are blind:
3) Mosen At Large 148September 14th 2021 A recap of Apple's California Streaming event from a blindness perspective:
➜ Featured Webinars, Training Courses and Events
1) ElBraille Q&A with Elita and VisperoSeptember 17th 2021 | 12PM PT, 1PM MT, 2PM CT, 3PM ET, 7PM GMT | Dear ElBraille users. We are happy to invite you for another upcoming Q&A meeting with us and Vispero, which will take place this Friday, September 17th 2021. We are trying to always change times to better accommodate everyone as much as possible, so this time, we have adjusted the time to better match the time for our European and UK friends. We will discuss the upcoming ElBraille software releases, JAWS 2022 features, but most of the time, as always, will be yours to ask questions. Joining me for this meeting, as always, is Ron Miller, blindness technology product specialist at Vispero, and Svetlana Vasilieva, our assistive technology product specialist here at Elita Group. Zoom meeting details: Meeting ID: 813 8477 7367 | Passcode: 794260 | One tap mobile: +74999516379,,81384777367#,,,,*794260# Russia | +74999516380,,81384777367#,,,,*794260# Russia:
Find your local number at: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kcz2XyOjlh
Join Zoom Meeting: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81384777367?pwd=TWEyMXJJZGpKbEg5SldMclFPN0EzUT09
2) Virtual ISLAND Conference hosted by Princeton UniversitySeptember 17th 2021 through September 18th 2021 | The Inclusion in Science, Learning A New Direction, Conference on Disability and STEM will be held virtually on Friday, September 17th and Saturday, September 18th 2021. This year's conference will be hosted by Princeton University. Online registration is now open for this year's conference. For more information regarding registration and other details, go to:
3) Accessing and Customizing Windows 10 Settings With Assistive Technology - Access IngenuitySeptember 22nd 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | Join Ian Ramos, Mark Schafer, and Zhi Huang from Access Ingenuity as they explain the Settings App of Windows 10 and provide many examples and tips to better navigate, search, and customize your Windows 10 Settings. Unlike previous versions of Windows, most settings are now customized under the new Settings App of Windows 10. In some cases, changes will not take place unless configured in Settings. For example, even if you agree to make the current browser the default within that browser, it now still needs to be finalized in Settings. Learning Outcomes: Introduce the different ways to open the Settings App. Understand the Settings layout and how to use keyboard commands to best navigate the various options. Discover the different ways to search for specific settings. Explore some popular settings such as setting default apps, Windows Updates, managing devices, and more. Meeting ID: 825 5600 7846 | Passcode: 418662 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,82556007846#,,,,*418662# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose):
4) Can Everybody See My Screen?September 22nd 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | After more than a year of adjusting to a remote work environment, we still rely heavily on technology to present and collaborate among teams. However, it's important to remember that different people perceive information, well, differently. And virtual communication is no exception. Join TPGi Accessibility Engineer, Doug Abrams, WAS, to discuss what it means to be inclusive when presenting over video calls. In our introductory webinar, we will discuss some of the challenges people with visual disabilities may encounter when attending a virtual presentation, as well as helpful techniques to make your presentation more accessible. Register today!
5) A Closer Look at the New Envision Glasses - Access IngenuitySeptember 29th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | Join Ian Ramos, Mark Schafer, and Zhi Huang from Access Ingenuity for a look at the exciting new Envision glasses. The Envision glasses use the cutting edge Google Glasses platform as a way for a visually impaired user to gain access to their environment. They give you the ability to scan text, be it handwritten notes, books or your favorite recipe. Using the built in camera, you can call someone and have them see from your point of view, to help you pick out the perfect outfit or help you navigate a challenging obstacle. Join us to learn more about the additional features these glasses offer and how they differ from other wearable technologies currently on the market. Attendees from previous presentations on the glasses can still benefit from this since new features will be introduced. In addition, there are plans to present some live examples of the call feature for a blind person to get help during this presentation! Learning Outcomes: Convenience of using the Scan Text and Instant Text features. How Scene Description can offer more independence. How the glasses use cutting edge technology to help you do more. Explore new features since our last glasses presentation. Benefits and uses of the Video Call feature. Meeting ID: 856 9427 2978 | Passcode: 248303 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,85694272978#,,,,*248303# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
6) Native Mobile Application TestingSeptember 30th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | The number of apps for mobile devices is ever-growing. It's important that mobile apps be accessible and inclusive, but it's easy to feel overwhelmed by the thought of incorporating them into your accessibility-evaluation strategy. Join TPGi Accessibility Engineer Laurie Pagano for an introduction to some of the mobile-device settings, assistive technologies, and other tools that you can add to your accessibility-testing toolbox. Set yourself up for success so you can start testing native mobile apps for accessibility conformance today. Register today!
7) Gadgets, Apps & Resources for Your Health by The Technology User GroupOctober 2nd 2021 | 7AM PT, 8AM MT, 9AM CT, 10AM ET, 2PM GMT | On Saturday, October 2nd 2021, the Technology User Group will take a close look at health resources, apps and gadgets. There are thousands of health resources available, but if they lack accessibility, they will be of little use to you. We will be looking at many aspects of health and showcasing some of the best resources. Please note that for this event and the event in November, we are meeting on the first Saturday of the month. You do not need to RSVP for this event. The presentation will begin at 10 AM and last about an hour. All Technology User Group meetings are virtual and may be joined by calling:
(319) 527-4994 ☎
8) 2021 M-Enabling Summit - Promoting Accessible Technologies and EnvironmentsOctober 4th - 6th 2021 | The M-Enabling Summit Conference and Showcase is dedicated to promoting digital environments and assistive technologies for senior citizens and users of all abilities. It is an annual meeting place for all who implement digital inclusion strategies or develop assistive solutions and accessible digital contents and services for workplaces, learning environments or consumer markets:
9) Sense-Ability. Using the BrailleSense 6! | Paid Course | Hartgen ConsultingOctober 6th 2021 | 11AM PT, 12PM MT, 1PM CT, 2PM ET, 6 GMT | While the BrailleSense 6 is a relatively new product, largely due to previous devices offered by its manufacturers it has already established itself as a power house for work and entertainment. Find out how it works in a way which makes Braille Sense!
10) The 3rd Annual Digital Accessibility Legal SummitOctober 7th 2021 through October 8th 2021 | American University Washington College of Law, Washington, D.C. This event is primarily Online, with in-person participation options still to be determined. Please note that this Summit is in the same week and in the same vicinity as the M-Enabling Summit. The premier annual event for digital accessibility legal practioners. In-depth talks and panels. Featuring leaders from the digital accessibility and legal fields. Tackling big practice issues:
11) GAconf | A Game Development Conference Dedicated to Making Games More Accessible to Gamers with Disabilities, Hosted by the IGDA's Accessibility SIGOctober 11th 2021 through October 12th 2021 | The full line-up has been announced for the free-to-attend online edition of accessibility conference GAconf, taking place on October 11th-12th 2021. GAconf is a game development conference dedicated to making games more accessible to gamers with disabilities, hosted by the IGDA's accessibility SIG. The event features talks and networking for all disciplines of the games industry, exploring recent and future advances in game accessibility. The 2021 event will be free to attend and held through video conferencing and Discord. Topics include Far Cry 6's methodology for accessibility user research, how the Diablo 2 team tackled accessibility of remasters, audio description for blind gamers, Insomniac's journey through Spider-Man, Miles Morales and Ratchet & Clank: A Rift Apart; case studies on indie accessibility gems The Vale and The Big Con, how to communicate complex information through sound for blind gamers, panel discussion on representation of disabled characters, lived experiences of gaming with motor impairments, what legally blind gamers see, how to make horror games scary for all? players, how Roblox enables and supports accessibility of user generated content, and more! Speakers include indie accessibility superstars Falling Squirrel and Mighty Yell through to AAAs and publishers like EA, Insomniac, Blizzard and Ubisoft, and disabled gamers advocates and specialists such as Paul Amadeus Lane, James Rath, and Courtney Craven:
12) Accessing Higher Ground Accessible Media, Web and Technology Conference by Association on Higher Education And Disability (AHEAD)November 15th 2021 Through November 19th 2021 | Presented and hosted by AHEAD, Accessing Higher Ground is conducted in collaboration with ATHEN:
13) 2nd Annual Sight Tech Global 2021December 1st & 2nd 2021 | 100% free. 100% virtual. Sight Tech Global is the first global, virtual conference dedicated to fostering discussion among technology pioneers on how rapid advances in AI and related technologies will fundamentally alter the landscape of assistive technology and accessibility. Registration is now open:
14) Axe-Con 2022March 15th 2022 through March 17th 2022 | Axe-con is an open and inclusive digital accessibility conference that welcomes developers, designers, business users, and accessibility professionals of all experience levels to a new kind of accessibility conference focused on building, testing, and maintaining accessible digital experiences. Register for axe-con 2022, it's free! Join us for this three-day, multi-track conference to help further your digital accessibility efforts. Hear from the top experts in the field, for your area of interest with none of the noise. Learn more about why you should attend or get started by saving your seat by registering now:
1) Availability Of Healthcare Information To Blind And Visually Impaired Healthcare Users During The COVID PandemicClsoe Date: September 30th 2021 Dear Listers, this is Sushil Oswal from the University of Washington. I am the principal investigator on a survey about the availability of healthcare information to blind and low-vision consumers during the past 18 months. This is an important survey for our blindness community because it will give us an opportunity to express our experiences of finding healthcare information during the COVID-19 pandemic. Please give us as much of your personal experiences as you can so that our study could create a comprehensive picture of the healthcare information barriers blind people face particularly under pandemic conditions. We will do a small draw of ten $25 gift cards for this survey. Besides publishing in academic journals, we will be producing a report on the basis of this healthcare information survey which will be shared with as many local and state-level health departments as possible. This report will also be available to blindness community at large. To complete the survey, please click the link below. If you have any questions about the survey, or you have difficulty completing the survey, please email me at email@example.com ✉. Our human subjects approval includes a permission to conduct this survey over the phone if necessary. So, do not hesitate to email me privately if you face computer issues while completing this survey. My co-investigator and I will maintain your privacy in all possible circumstances:
1) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Listserv Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-listserv-directory.html
2) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Podcast Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-podcast-directory.html
3) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Game Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-game-directory.html
➜ Buy, Sell or Trade
1) FOR SALE: One Perfect BrailleSense Polaris 32Listing Date: 9/16/2021 | Price: $1,450.00 USD | Condition: New. | Description: We have one unused Hims Braille Sense Polaris 32. This notetaker has powerful built-in capabilities and can also be used as a 32 cell Braille display and Braille keyboard for your computer and/or phone. | Contact: Email firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ or (408) 659-1374 ☎. |
2) FOR SALE: One Victor Reader Stream TREKListing Date: 9/16/2021 | Price: $60.00 USD | Condition: Gently Used. | Description: This VR TREK will need a new battery, and the small clip that holds the battery in is broken, you may be able to have this fixed, or you could just use tape to hold the battery in. Other than that it works just fine. Comes with its originall carrying case. | Contact: Email email@example.com ✉. |
3) FOR SALE: One Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Ad (Just like this one.)Price: $5.00 USD | Description: List your new, gently-used or refurbished item in FOUR (4) consecutive issues of Top Tech Tidbits for just $5.00 USD. | Buy an Ad: Fill out this short 10-step form ✔ to secure your Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Advertisement today. | Learn more at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/buy-sell-trade.html 🌐 |
Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor Classified Ads:
➜ Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub
If you're like me, you probably have more things to plug into your computer than available ports. That's why we've now added the Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub. Plug it into your laptop and you will get 3 USB ports, SD and Micro SD card slots, a USBC charging port, and an HDMI video port. It's available now for just $29.95:
Sponsor Since: June 11th 2020
Website: https://www.atguys.com/ 🌐
Phone: (269) 216-4798 ☎
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
Skype: atguys ✆
Twitter: https://twitter.com/atguys (@atguys) ✍
Facebook: https://facebook.com/atguys ✍
About: ATGuys.com. Your access technology experts, home for cool gadgets, accessories, and more. Our products are all tested to work great for blind and visually impaired users but also work just as well for anyone. If there's an item you're looking for, or if you have a question, please don't hesitate to send us a message or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
Sponsor Since: September 23rd 2021
Website: https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/ 🌐
Blind Mice Order Center Phone: (866) 922-8877 ☎
Blind Mice Order Center Hours: 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM CST/CDT (GMT-5) Monday through Friday
Mall Directory of Stores: https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory 🛒
Join The Today's Cheese Newsletter: Join the Today's Cheese newsletter to get Members' Only sales & Unadvertised Specials from the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. You can save money with these unadvertised specials! Send an email to: TodaysCheese+Subscribe@Groups.io ✉
Blind Mice Swap Shop: Sell, Swap, and Buy. The Mice receive calls everyday asking if we buy or sell used or unwanted items. The Mice don't sell used products but to help our members, we created the Blind Mice Swap Shop! The Blind Mice Swap Shop is the place for Sellers, Traders, & Buyers to find each other! Do you ... have something you don't want anymore... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Got something you just don't use... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Got something new to sell... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Provide a service that might be helpful to other Blind and Visually Impaired folks... Post it to the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Have an announcement about an upcoming event beneficial to the Blind & Visually Impaired Community... Post it to the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Joining the Blind Mice Swap Shop is free and as easy as sending an email to: BlindMiceSwapShop+Subscribe@Groups.io ✉
About: Welcome to Blind Mice Mega Mall! The Mall with the Blind In Mind! Blind Mice Mega Mall is designed for use with a screen reader and low vision software for visually impaired shoppers. Each store is an independent business owned / managed by a member of the Blind / Low Vision Community. Please browse & shop the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. You will find great items and unique offerings from our merchants. You help the Blind Community every time you make a purchase from any of the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. Every purchase made at Blind Mice Mega Mall gives back to the Blind and Visually Impaired Community. Proceeds from sales fund the MouseHole Scholarship Program, the Cooking In The Dark Show and The Movie Vault. Blind Mice Mega Mall accepts American Express, Discover, Mastercard, Visa, PayPal, Checks, and Money Orders. Purchase Orders From State Agencies are also welcome.
➜ Screen Reader User Tester Training Program at the Carroll Center for the Blind
Want to break into the digital accessibility field as a screen reader user tester? Through the Carroll Center for the Blind's all new 6-week intensive Screen Reader User Tester Training program, participants can learn and grow their ability to professionally explore, test, and report findings regarding the accessibility of websites, mobile applications, and digital document files using screen readers. To learn more about the User Tester program, visit:
Sponsor Since: August 5th 2021
Website: https://carroll.org/ 🌐
Phone: (617) 969-6200 ☎Fax: (617) 969-6204 ░
Shop: https://carroll.org/store/ 🛒
Donate: https://carroll.org/donate ❤
About: The Carroll Center for the Blind is the foremost leader in vision rehabilitation services for individuals confronted by the challenges of vision loss. Our mission is to empower those who are blind or visually impaired to achieve independence and to lead a fulfilling life. Established in 1936, the renowned Carroll Center for the Blind has been serving those with vision impairment for over eight decades; we are known nationally as a premier Vision Rehabilitation Center. Located just outside of Boston on a sprawling campus in Newton, Massachusetts, we proudly serve ALL ages and ALL stages of vision loss. With the ongoing promise of improving the lives of people with vision-related problems, The Carroll Center for the Blind has pioneered many innovative services allowing people who are blind or have low vision to learn the skills to be independent in their homes, in class settings, and in their work places. Our services include vision rehabilitation, vocational and transition programs, assistive technology training, educational support, and recreation opportunities for individuals who are visually impaired of all ages. For over 80 years, the expertise of Carroll Center staff has provided help for thousands of blind and visually impaired persons with diverse opportunities for success and independent living.
➜ The 50% Introductory Rate for Scribe for Meetings is Coming to a Close!
Sign up for your lifetime subscription at the discounted rate before October 15, and lock in your access to future features, including the recently unveiled functionality with Microsoft Teams. Robust accessibility at the price you want starts here:
Sponsor Since: June 3rd 2021
Website: https://pneumasolutions.com/ 🌐
Email Newsletter: Click here to receive periodic news via email concerning Pneuma Solutions products for business, consumers and education.
Sales: (866) 202-0520 ☎
Support: (650) 249-1000 ☎
About: Backed by two decades of creating award-winning accessible cloud technologies for people with visual impairments, Pneuma Solutions is the global leader in accessible cloud-based solutions. Pneuma Solutions was founded by long-time accessibility developers Mike Calvo and Matt Campbell. For more information on their individual profiles, click on their respective bio pages. We're proud to be the first company to develop cloud-based accessibility at the network level. Our tools provide organizations, like yours, a way to deliver secure, accessible information right from your network or from our secure servers. You can provide your print disabled consumers, students, employees, and citizens with a multitude of accessible options. Additionally, we offer a suite of cloud-based applications to blind and print disabled consumers directly from our website. Our consumer products are designed to make the day-to-day lives of blind and print disabled individuals more accessible and simpler to manage. Access to information is not a privilege, it's a right. It's also your right to obtain affordable, accessible cloud solutions to serve your end user. When organizations like yours implement our tools, together we help make it a more inclusive world for people with disabilities. Want to know more about how we can help you become more inclusive?
Contact us here. We'll be happy to discuss how our tools can help with your accessibility needs.
➜ Freedom Scientific Focus Blue 5th Generation Refreshable Braille Displays
Our world-class refreshable Braille displays deliver efficient Braille input and outstanding output for your PC or mobile device. The robust Bluetooth® connectivity provides seamless use with Windows®, Mac®, iPhones®, iPads®, and AndroidTM smartphones and tablets. Ergonomic navigation features allow quick, natural hand movements for greater productivity. When used with JAWS® screen reading software, they support our popular Braille Study Mode, an interactive tool for teaching and learning Braille. Learn more today:
Sponsor Since: April 15th 2021
Website: https://www.freedomscientific.com/ 🌐
Email: email@example.com ✉
Phone: (800) 444-4443 ☎
About: Freedom Scientific, a Vispero brand, is a leading worldwide brand of assistive technology products for those with vision impairments. We offer products designed to promote independence, allowing blind and low vision individuals the same access to information as their sighted peers. World-renowned JAWS (Job Access With Speech) screen reading software and ZoomText screen magnification software provide users the independence and ability to seek education and obtain or maintain a career after vision loss. Our expansive product line includes both low vision and blindness technology for all aspects of daily living. The wide range of RUBY, TOPAZ, and ONYX desktop and portable video magnifiers are designed for their ease of use and assist with daily activities. Our impressive line of blindness hardware products include refreshable Braille displays and scanning and reading devices, offering many options tailored to fit individual needs.
➜ VisionAware Resources Including the Directory of Services
APHConnectCenter has resources to help blind and low vision people thrive. In addition to the Reader's Digest Getting Started with Vision Loss Guide You can also check out the Directory of Services to locate resources in your community for living with blindness and low vision. https://visionaware.org/
Sponsor Since: March 4th 2021
Website: https://aphconnectcenter.org/ 🌐
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
APH ConnectCenter Information and Referral Line:
Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM ET
About: The APH ConnectCenter offers curated advice and resources to assist children, parents, adults, and job seekers who are blind or visually impaired, and their associated professionals, leading to greater independence and success in their lives.
➜ BRAILLIANT Renewed! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series is here!
The wait is over! A redefined family of Brailliant refreshable Braille displays has arrived! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series will help you stay connected, download books from many participating online libraries and share information easily with your peers. You will enjoy the intuitive, seamless user experience of KeySoft Lite, the HumanWare flagship accessibility suite designed to make you more productive. Including the Brailliant BI 40X and the Brailliant BI 20X, this is the Brailliant idea you need!
Sponsor Since: February 4th 2021
Website: http://humanware.com/ 🌐
Phone (Asia): +61 2 9686 2600 ☎
YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRWVYiggn-w 🎥
About: HumanWare is the global leader in assistive technology for people who are blind or have low vision. HumanWare offers a wide range of innovative products, including the BrailleNote Touch, first Google certified braille tablet, the iOS compatible Brailliant braille displays, Victor Reader®, the world's leading family of digital audiobook players, the unique Prodigi® family of desktop and portable vision and reading systems, and the ultra-portable explore line of electronic handheld magnifier.
➜ Accessible Pharmacy Joins Be My Eyes
Accessible Pharmacy, the new, home delivery pharmacy with a blind founder, is bringing its full range of support and services to Be My Eyes. Users of the Be My Eyes app can now call Accessible Pharmacy directly to get support with medication, medical devices, and even home delivery COVID testing. With a fully trained and discreet pharmacy staff on call from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM Pacific, Accessible Pharmacy is the new way for blind and low vision consumers to get an easy, frictionless pharmacy experience. Call today — and you'll never have to take an Uber to the drugstore again.
Lead Contact: Will Butler, VP of Community
Sponsor Since: November 5th 2020
Website: https://www.bemyeyes.com/ 🌐
Download The App (iOS):
Download The App (Android):
About: Be My Eyes is a free mobile app that allows anyone who needs video support to get assistance from a dynamic range of volunteers and company customer support professionals from around the world. With more than 4 million volunteers and dozens of companies offering on-demand visual interpretation and support, Be My Eyes is a free, unlimited way to bridge gaps and get access to whatever information you need — 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in any language. Download the app today from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
➜ LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired Adaptations Online Store Featured Products
Revolution Cane Tip: Standard Roller Tip: $14.50 | Locator Dots: Small Pack of 6 (Clear or Orange): $2.00 | NFB Metal Cane Tip: $3.00 | TMAP - On Demand Tactile Street | Map (set of two maps): $25.00 | Ambutech Aluminum Folding Cane: $35.00 | NFB Chris Park Telescoping Cane: $45.00 | BoldWriter 20 Pen (Individual or 6-pack): $2.00 | Bump Dots: Mixed (50 count): $7.00 | Braille Apple Catalina VoiceOver Guide OSX 10.15 (3 volumes) - Latest Manual: $52.00 | SpeedDots iPhone Tactile Screen Protector, Phone Layout: $12.00 | NFB Chris Park 7-Piece Folding Cane: $50.00 | Visit https://adaptations.org/ to learn more today!
Sponsor Since: October 1, 2020
Website: https://adaptations.org/ 🌐
Toll Free: (888) 400-8933 ☎
Local: (415) 694-7301 ☎
About: Founded in 1902, San Francisco's LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired promotes the independence, equality and self-reliance of people who are blind or have low vision. Adaptations is your online go-to for tools, technology, and accessible solutions for blind and visually impaired people.
➜ Build A Foundational Understanding Of Construction And Electronics With BRIC: Structures® Access Kit From APH - An Adapted Version Of An Educational Elenco® Product For Students Who Are Blind And Visually Impaired!
The BRIC: Structures® Access Kit combines ordinary building bricks with Snap Circuits® to create 26 projects, such as circuits and real-world structures, that run on electricity. Visit https://www.aph.org/product/bric-structures-access-kit/ to learn more.
Sponsor Since: July 2nd 2020
Website: https://www.aph.org/ 🌐
Toll Free and Customer Support: (800) 223-1839 ☎
Phone: (512) 895-2405 ☎
Fax: (512) 899-2284 ░
YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/WENRlCNDsxQ 🎥
Free Apps & Actions from APH: https://www.aph.org/free-apps-from-aph/ 📱
About: Since 1858, the American Printing House for the Blind has operated in Louisville, Kentucky as the world's largest nonprofit organization, creating accessible learning experiences through educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are blind and visually impaired. APH believes that the future belongs to everyone. By offering innovative products and services, APH opens up a door of opportunities for lifelong independence and success.
➜ GuideLights And Gadgets: New For Fall
(1) New! Talking oximeter that is easy to use and accurate. $65 including shipping. (2) Our leather "everything" crossbody/shoulder bag now has RFID protection and a nice-feeling rectangular shape. The 6x9" size and a choice of 1 or 2 compartments can hold a Braille display has 5 other pockets for all day essentials; $25 or $35. (3) Heavy duty leather 5 pocket neck pouch can easily meet your quick trip needs (phone, stream, wallet, keys) while using AIRA or Be My Eyes, dis40. (4) A 13x17x8" rucksack style leather backpack is tough enough to go anywhere, while remaining comfortably on your shoulders. A pack made to last a lifetime, $90.00. Call Barry (617) 969-7500 ☎ or email email@example.com ✉.
Sponsor Since: June 25th 2020
Website: http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/ 🌐
About: Our Scope of Products: We specialize in 3 lines of products, all intended to assist in access to adaptive electronics, enhance experiences for guide dog teams, and offer practical solutions for organization and travel with a variety of leather bags, pouches, and backpacks. Then there are the random products that are included, just for fun! We enjoy working with our customers 1-on-1 to their money is well spent and not wasted on something they may not use. In thinking about our customers and whether we will carry a product our guiding motto is that it must be: practical, affordable, simple, tested, and accessible (the pasta principle) and it seems to work very well.
What We Do: We bring our business either via zoom, phone, or to your conference or convention, to give each customer a chance for questions and where possible, "hands on" evaluation of the merchandise. Kae and I test and use each product as blind users before we put it in our catalog. In the case of products for guide and service dogs, our own three guides, Thor, Debra and Melody, are engaged in the process of evaluating the usefulness, durability, and/or fun of the product. We want each of our products to be useful, accessible, afforable, and, whenever possible, fun! Our inventory is constantly changing, so a visit to us is never the same experience twice!
Top Tech Tidbits is the world's leading adaptive technology publication that reaches over 10,000 adaptive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts, all over the world, each week.
Top Tech Tidbits offers a total of 12 Sponsorship Packages which are used to support the ongoing distribution of the publication.
There are 1 of 12 packages currently available.
If you would like to become a Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor, but there are no sponsorship packages currently available, we encourage you to join our waiting list by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉.
Once you have joined our waiting list we will notify you the next time a current sponsor decides not to renew. You will then have 72 hours to secure your sponsorship before it is offered to the next sponsor on the list.
When available you can secure one of these packages for just $325.00 USD for the next 3 months, or save $100.00 USD and join us for the year. All Sponsorship Packages are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Please help us to support the ongoing distribution of this publication. Consider showing your support for the world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology while enjoying these incredible benefits. Learn more today at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
Top Tech Tidbits Supporters:
We couldn't do it without you! Thank you for your support!
Tidbits Supporters donate an amount of their choosing on an annual basis in order to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication.
If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support.
In tandem with Our Sponsors, these are the people that make the ongoing distribution of Tidbits possible:
1.) Gary Lee
2.) Anonymous Donation
3.) Pshon Barrett
1.) Howard Goldstein
2.) David Goldstein
3.) Katherine Crohan
1.) Your name here. Help support Tidbits today.
1.) Steven Wettlaufer
Top Tech Tidbits Subscription Information:
ABOUT:Founded in 2004, Top Tech Tidbits is a leading Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 10,000 assistive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week. Sign up here. Review the archive here. Adaptive Technology refers to items that are specifically designed for people with disabilities. Adaptive Technology is a subset of Assistive Technology. Adaptive Technology often refers specifically to electronic and information technology access. Top Tech Tidbits is a Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication. Publisher: Aaron Di Blasi. Contributing Editors: John Hanlin, Jenna Lang. Top Tech Tidbits is a sponsor and reader supported publication.
RELEASE SCHEDULE:Top Tech Tidbits is released every Thursday morning at 4:00 AM ET.
SUBSCRIBE:Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive the Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to receive the Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter on the Top Tech Tidbits Website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com. Either of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving the Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter. It's that easy.
SPONSOR:If you would like to become 1 of only 18 Top Tech Tidbits Sponsors whose annual support makes the distribution of Top Tech Tidbits possible, we offer you the following benefits, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://toptechtidbits.com/sponsor.
SUPPORT:If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://toptechtidbits.com/donate.
WEBSITE:Visit the Top Tech Tidbits website online at https://www.toptechtidbits.com.
FACEBOOK:Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Facebook News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/facebook.
X (FORMERLY TWITTER):Are you on X? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your X News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/x.
MASTODON:Are you on Mastodon? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Mastodon News Feed by visiting https://mastodon.toptechtidbits.com/@news or searching for @email@example.com on your server today.
LINKEDIN:Are you on LinkedIn? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your LinkedIn News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/linkedin.
YOUTUBE:Are you on YouTube? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your YouTube Video Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/youtube.
RSS:Do you prefer RSS? Follow Top Tech Tidbits via RSS today to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology using your choice of news aggregator: https://toptechtidbits.com/rss.
QUESTIONS:Tidbits are intentionally concise. As a result we know that some readers may not always understand all of the items listed because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVEVisit the Top Tech Tidbits Archive at: https://toptechtidbits.com/archive where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT CONTRIBUTORS:Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be submitted online via our Top Tech Tidbit Submission Form at: https://toptechtidbits.com/submit-tidbit or directed to our Editors at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Home: Top Tech Tidbits||News: Top Tech Tidbits||Podcast: Top Tech Tidbits||Subscribe: Top Tech Tidbits||Donate: Top Tech Tidbits||Facebook: Top Tech Tidbits||X: Top Tech Tidbits||Mastodon: Top Tech Tidbits||LinkedIn: Top Tech Tidbits||YouTube: Top Tech Tidbits||RSS: Top Tech Tidbits||Back to Top|
Information provided by: