Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, October 7, 2021 - Volume 827
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication
Top Tech Tidbits. The world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology.
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Top Tech Tidbits Brought To You By The Following 12 AT Industry Leaders:
This issue made possible by sponsorship support from: A.T. Guys, GuideLights And Gadgets, American Printing House, LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired Adaptations Online Store, Be My Eyes, HumanWare, APH ConnectCenter, Freedom Scientific, Pneuma Solutions, Carroll Center for the Blind, Blind Mice Mega Mall and HIMS, Inc..
Dear Tidbits Subscriber,
1) Top 5 Most Clicked Tidbits From Last WeekA.) This Gadget Turns Your White Cane Into A Smart Cane: (15.2% of all clicks.)
B.) A Quick Guide to Windows 11 Accessibility: (10.0% of all clicks.)
C.) How Can You Read Product Labels If You Are Blind Or Have Low Vision? From the Insight4Blind YouTube Channel: (6.4% of all clicks.)
D.) Amazon's Astro Robot Is A 24-Hour Security Guard And Smart Assistant All Rolled Into One: (6.1% of all clicks.)
E.) Microsoft 'Adaptive Kit' Makes Surface Devices More Accessible: (4.8% of all clicks.)
1) A List Of Removed Siri Voice Commands: Sending Emails, Checking Call History And MoreIf you have suspected Siri does not work as well as it used to since upgrading to iOS 15, you're right. Apple has removed certain commands from Siri in iOS 15. iDownload Blog has the complete list:
2) Apple Accessibility Responds To David Goldfield Regarding Lost Siri FunctionalityDavid Goldfield of the Tech-VI List recently wrote to Apple Accessibility regarding the recent loss of Siri functionality and has received the following positive response. Hello David. Thank you for your email. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused, and we are working to reinstate some Siri Email and Phone actions, which were temporarily removed as part of updates to improve Siri. You will be able to ask Siri to write, send, and check unread emails in the coming weeks. Reinstating Siri actions to check call history and voicemail will take a bit more time, and we will bring back this functionality in an upcoming iOS software update. Sincerely. Apple Accessibility. Join the Tech-VI mailing list by sending a blank email to:
3) Focus Blue 5th Generation Firmware DownloadsFreedom Scientific has released a firmware update to its focus 5th generation braille displays. There are enhancements for the Scratchpad, one-handed mode, Bluetooth pairing, and flash messages. To read about the enhancements and for instruction on downloading and updating the Focus 5th generation, go to:
4) Free Gaming Accessibility Fundamentals Course Announced By XboxMicrosoft has announced that a new course on gaming accessibility fundamentals on the MSLearn platform. Modules within the course will include introducing people to gaming and disability core concepts, with tips on how to collaborate with the disability community, how the community can help inform accessible design, common gaming assistive technologies, and best practices for games, platforms, and hardware:
5) Braille Institute's Atkinson Hyperlegible Typeface Now Available On Google FontsBraille Institute's "Atkinson Hyperlegible" font family is now available on Google Fonts. This typeface was designed specifically to help with legibility and to improve readability for people with low vision and was named after Braille Institute's founder, Robert J. Atkinson:
6) What's New in JAWS, ZoomText, and Fusion 2022 Public Beta 2:Fusion, Jaws, and Zoomtext versions 2022 are out. audio routing, Microsoft Office apps, braille language switching, and Voice Assistant are among the improvements.
7) A One-Handed Writer's Search for the Perfect Mechanical KeyboardThis article from Britt H. Young of the wirecutter reviews several one-handed keyboards, making several salient points, not only about one-handed keyboard accessibility, but general assistive technology hardware as well:
8) What's Coming In Windows 11 AccessibilityWindows 11 was released on Tuesday, October 5th. While there are few changes to accessibility features in Windows 10, "Ease of Access" has been rebranded to "Accessibility," in hopes of making those features easier to find:
9) Windows 11 Review: The Start Of A New EraWindows 11 was launched on 5 October 2021. The Windows Central Team provide a comprehensive review:
10) Goodmaps Acquires The Sendero GPS Mobile Apps From Aira, Which Are Now Free!Goodmaps now own the Sendero GPS Apps. This means that the Seeing Eye GPS, RNIB Navigator and Guide Dogs NSW Apps will be re-branded, improved, and free!
11) Alexa Will Now Let You Take Longer To Ask A QuestionEver wish you had a little more time when talking to Alexa? Enable this great new feature so Alexa listens for longer:
12) How To Turn Off 120Hz On The iPhone 13 Pro And iPhone 13 Pro MaxIf the new 120Hz refresh rate on the iPhone 13 doesn't interest you, learn how to turn it off to save battery:
13) Understanding The Symbol Pronunciation Dialog In NVDA | YoutubeTune in to this great audio demonstration of how to use the Punctuation / Symbol Pronunciation Feature of NVDA:
14) Chameleon Say What? Text to Speach and More on the Chameleon 20 (YouTube Video)The Chameleon has a voice! Text to Speech is coming soon to this portable and powerful braille device. Learn about this new feature from product manager William Freeman & Donna McClure-Rogers and be the first to hear about updates to the Chameleon 20 such as Spanish language support and one-handed mode:
15) New Features Available in Goodmaps Explorer: GPS App For iOSYou can now create an account in Explore. For those with proper access, this will reveal restricted buildings, rooms, and POIs which you can explore in person or virtually. New features are coming soon that require an Explore account. Sign up today under the More Tab. Also, POIs and rooms can now include extra information like relevant websites, links to audio files, information about the POI, and more!
16) Applevis Unlimited: What's New and Noteworthy for September 2021https://www.applevis.com/newsletter/applevis-unlimited-whats-new-and-noteworthy-september-2021
17) Microsoft Announces New Xbox Accessibility FeaturesMicrosoft continues its journey to make gaming more inclusive by announcing significant accessibility enhancements for Xbox:
18) NUST MISIS Engineers Develop VibroBraille Communicator For DeafblindVibroBraille is a small game console-like device that translates Braille text into synthesized speech and vice versa, with six buttons on the front panel and built-in tactile elements that transmit signals to the user at their fingertips like in the Braille system. The device works together with a mobile application, connected via Bluetooth. In the dictionary of meanings, implemented in the application, each Braille character corresponds to a letter of the alphabet, so words are converted into tactile signals and vice versa:
19) Android 12 Has Been Released: Here's What's New In Ithttps://www.ghacks.net/2021/10/04/android-12-has-been-released-heres-whats-new-in-it/
➜ Press Releases and Other News
1) A Gene-Editing Experiment Let These Patients with Vision Loss See Color AgainA study was released which showed improved vision for some patients who underwent an experimental gene editing procedure. NPR has the story in both text and audio formats:
2) Remote Work Has Finally Made Me - A Legally-Blind Person - Feel Like I Can Thrive At My Job. I'm Sad It Took This Long.As someone in the blind and low-vision community, the expansion of remote work has been an economic game-changer. Normally, people with visual impairments face major hurdles in the workforce, from overcoming hiring discrimination to securing reliable transportation — less than half of US adults with visual impairments were in the labor force in 2019:
3) Agreement Reached To Make NY Emergency Alerts Accessible For Blind PeopleBlind people will soon have access to potentially lifesaving information about emergencies like pending storms and hazards on NY-Alert, the New York state mass notification system, due to an agreement reached between advocates and state officials:
4) Original Voice Of Siri Promotes AI-Powered Web AccessibilitySusan Bennett revealed back in 2013 that she only found out by chance that she had become the original voice of Siri. She's now taking advantage of her accidental fame to promote a new approach to web usability:
5) CRISPR Gene-Editing Experiment Partly Restores Vision In Legally Blind PatientsA lot of work is being done in the fields of CRISPR gene-editing, and recently the revolutionary therapy was used to partially restore the vision in patients with a rare genetic disorder:
➜ Featured Podcast Episodes
1) Hadley Presents: A Conversation with the Experts | Traveling with Vision Loss: Tips from the TSAOctober 1st 2021
Supriya Raman, manager of the Disability and Multicultural branches of the TSA, shares tips on traveling among shifting COVID restrictions. Supriya covers what to expect at the airport and what resources are available for people with visual impairment:
2) Blind Android Users 43 | Back That Thing Up!October 2nd 2021 | In this episode we celebrated Google's and Android's Birthdays. In our must have app backup utilities, we demo Alpha Backup Pro. We have a very inspiring chat with Sheneille from Theequinn YouTube Channel. Joseph does an unboxing of the Galaxy Z Fold 3. And then we have the 9th highlights of talkback:
3) Mosen At Large 151October 2nd 2021 Goodmaps acquires the former Sendero GPS mobile apps and makes them free, adventures in Android, and Siri loses smarts:
4) Outdoors with Lawrence Gunther Episode 35: Four-Wheeling and Having a BlastOctober 2nd 2021 On this episode of Outdoors with Lawrence Gunther presented by AMI Audio, Lawrence, Lilly and Lewis head out of the city and into the Calabogie Hills. Their mission is to do some four-wheeling and have a blast. Sitting on the shore of a lake with a hydroelectric dam, Lawrence reflects on the electrification of the machines upon which people who live in rural, remote and northern parts of Canada depend. Be sure to check out all the action, and get the facts to determine whether an ATV or Side-by-side is for you.:
5) Eyes on Success 2141 Just A Leap of FaithOctober 6th 2021
People who are visually impaired are no strangers to participating in sports. On the other hand, it is difficult to imagine jumping over a 10 or 12 foot high bar without seeing the bar. Hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey talk with Bradly Rainwater, a competitive blind pole vaulter, and his coach and grandfather Brad Rainwater about how it can be done:
➜ Featured Webinars and Training Courses
1) The 3rd Annual Digital Accessibility Legal SummitOctober 7th 2021 through October 8th 2021 | American University Washington College of Law, Washington, D.C. This event is primarily Online, with in-person participation options still to be determined. Please note that this Summit is in the same week and in the same vicinity as the M-Enabling Summit. The premier annual event for digital accessibility legal practioners. In-depth talks and panels. Featuring leaders from the digital accessibility and legal fields. Tackling big practice issues:
2) GAconf | A Game Development Conference Dedicated to Making Games More Accessible to Gamers with Disabilities, Hosted by the IGDA's Accessibility SIGOctober 11th 2021 through October 12th 2021 | The full line-up has been announced for the free-to-attend online edition of accessibility conference GAconf, taking place on October 11th-12th 2021. GAconf is a game development conference dedicated to making games more accessible to gamers with disabilities, hosted by the IGDA's accessibility SIG. The event features talks and networking for all disciplines of the games industry, exploring recent and future advances in game accessibility. The 2021 event will be free to attend and held through video conferencing and Discord. Topics include Far Cry 6's methodology for accessibility user research, how the Diablo 2 team tackled accessibility of remasters, audio description for blind gamers, Insomniac's journey through Spider-Man, Miles Morales and Ratchet & Clank: A Rift Apart; case studies on indie accessibility gems The Vale and The Big Con, how to communicate complex information through sound for blind gamers, panel discussion on representation of disabled characters, lived experiences of gaming with motor impairments, what legally blind gamers see, how to make horror games scary for all? players, how Roblox enables and supports accessibility of user generated content, and more! Speakers include indie accessibility superstars Falling Squirrel and Mighty Yell through to AAAs and publishers like EA, Insomniac, Blizzard and Ubisoft, and disabled gamers advocates and specialists such as Paul Amadeus Lane, James Rath, and Courtney Craven:
3) Navigating the VR System: Services are Better When We Work TogetherOctober 13th 2021 | 11AM PT, 12PM MT, 1PM CT, 2PM ET, 6PM GMT | For people with blindness or low vision who are receiving VR services or are considering applying, it is important to understand how the process works. In this webinar, the role of the rehabilitation team will be discussed with a primary focus on the consumer and rehabilitation counselor relationship. This webinar will include a panel of past VR consumers who are gainfully employed and practicing VR counselors:
4) Undertaking JAWS Screen Reader Compatibility Testing in Real Life by TPGiOctober 13th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | Experience a real-world scenario exhibiting the synergy between the JAWS screen reader and TPGi's JAWS compatibility testing tool, JAWS Inspect, as part of the accessibility QA process. Webinar attendees will observe the interaction between a real JAWS user struggling with a poorly designed web page and a TPGi accessibility tester making sense of the JAWS user's accessibility challenges via the power of JAWS Inspect. JAWS Inspect provides text output of the JAWS audio speech to enable non-JAWS users to efficiently test for screen reader compatibility. Attendees will get a first-hand look at how to use this tool alongside JAWS (or by itself) for quick and easy testing. Register at:
5) Using Zoom Meeting on a PC With a Screen Reader by Access IngenuityOctober 13th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | Recently, we learned that while many attend our weekly Zoom Presentations, a lot of people are doing this by calling or using the mobile app. This resulted in several requests for tips on attending Zoom presentations on a PC using a Screen Reader. Join Ian Ramos, Mark Schafer, and Zhi Huang from Access Ingenuity as they share tips and different methods on using a keyboard to quickly access popular features on the zoom desktop app. Learning Outcomes: Explain the differences between the desktop app and web interface and the benefits of the desktop app while using screen readers. Discuss first time set up including downloading and installing app, first time prompts, and whether or not you need to sign in for different presentations. Explore different ways to navigate the interface with a keyboard including various hot keys to mute and unmute audio, mute and unmute video, raise and lower hand, work with chat, view users, start and stop recording, share screen, etc. | Meeting ID: 899 0594 3325 | Passcode: 246915 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,89905943325#,,,,*246915# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose) | Join Zoom Meeting:
6) How Can Low Vision Products from Vispero Help You?October 14th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | Join Michael Wood & Michelle Williams for an informative and interactive webinar where we will discuss different eye conditions and discover what products might best meet the needs of those conditions. With incredible features like magnification, text to speech, contrast, and portability, you are bound to find a solution that works best for you, your clients, and your students. Learn how Text to Speech can help you read longer when your eyes tire. Learn how Screen Masking aids to increase word recognition and reading accuracy. Learn how Magnification can help with day-to-day tasks. ACVREP credits will be available for those who attend the live webinar. Register for this webinar to discover more about assistive technology and how it can help. All attendees over 18 years of age and living in the U.S. will have an opportunity to win a Pebble hand-held magnifier. One lucky attendee will be selected and notified via email after the webinar:
7) How to Make an Accessible Excel Workbook by TPGiOctober 19th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | This webinar provides best practices for making Excel spreadsheets accessible to disabled people. TPGi Accessibility Engineer, Aaron Farber, will review common accessibility issues within Excel spreadsheets and look at each accessibility issue first from the users' perspective, in how that issue affects them. The webinar then takes participants through the author's perspective and provides step-by-step instructions on how to fix that issue in their spreadsheet. Additionally, Aaron will answer the nuts-and-bolts questions such as compatibility between Excel and other operating systems like MacOS and the accessibility of other spreadsheet programs. Excel has released many new features such as Data from Picture; this webinar evaluates them through the lens of accessibility. Beyond building technical skills in Excel, participants will also learn whether WCAG applies to Excel spreadsheets. Register today:
8) TypeAbility Typing Program With JAWS and Fusion by Access IngenuityOctober 20th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | Join Ian Ramos, and Zhi Huang from Access Ingenuity, and the developer of TypeAbility, David Pinto from Yes Accessible to explore this program that works with JAWS and Fusion! Learning Outcomes: Explore the different options to customize TypeAbility. Discover the different features including typing lessons, typing race, academic tests, create your own lessons, etc. Preview the upcoming TypeAbility5 along with new features. | Meeting ID: 837 7304 4871 | Passcode: 593759 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,83773044871#,,,,*593759# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose) | Join Zoom Meeting:
9) Managing Folders, Files, and Drives With a Screen Reader Part 3 by Access IngenuityOctober 27th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | Join Ian Ramos and Zhi Huang from Access Ingenuity as they explain the File Explorer interface of Windows 10 and provide many examples and tips to manage your folders, files, and drives. Although this is a Part 3, attendees would still benefit from this even if they didn't attend Parts 1 and 2. In addition, please feel free to contact us if there's an interest in the Parts 1 and 2 recordings. Learning Outcomes: Provide more explanations and examples on how to work with the Tree View and List View and how they affect each other. Show practical examples for previously introduced methods to rename, select, cut, copy, paste, and delete files and folders. Demonstrate how to manage drives such as an SD Card for the Victor Reader, and how to work with syncing folders like OneDrive and Google Drive. | Meeting ID: 896 8577 0228 | Passcode: 483670 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,89685770228#,,,,*483670# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose) | Join Zoom Meeting:
10) ATHEN (Access Technology Higher Education Network) 2021 Annual MeetingNovember 9th 2021 | 11AM PT, 12PM MT, 1PM CT, 2PM ET, 6PM GMT | All are welcome to attend the ATHEN Annual Meeting. Real-Time Captioning will be provided. If you would like to request any additional disability-related accommodations, please contact me at email@example.com ✉ | Zoom meeting:
11) Accessing Higher Ground Accessible Media, Web and Technology Conference by Association on Higher Education And Disability (AHEAD)November 15th 2021 Through November 19th 2021 | Presented and hosted by AHEAD, Accessing Higher Ground is conducted in collaboration with ATHEN:
12) 2nd Annual Sight Tech Global 2021December 1st & 2nd 2021 | 100% free. 100% virtual. Sight Tech Global is the first global, virtual conference dedicated to fostering discussion among technology pioneers on how rapid advances in AI and related technologies will fundamentally alter the landscape of assistive technology and accessibility. Registration is now open:
13) ATHEN (Access Technology Higher Education Network) 1st Annual "Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM) Accessibility: Starting with Math"February 10th 2022 and February 11th 2022 | This virtual conference will take place on February 10th and 11th 2022. We are striving to create a diverse conference where experts can share their best practices, solutions, techniques, etc. for accessing and creating accessible STEM content in higher education. Join us! | Call for Proposal (Google Form) (Open now!) | Brush up by taking a sneak peek into the complexities in creating accessible STEM content in the YouTube video "Factors Involved in Making STEM Content Accessible" (10-minutes). | Conference Details, Dates, Registration, Cost:.
14) Axe-Con 2022March 15th 2022 through March 17th 2022 | Axe-con is an open and inclusive digital accessibility conference that welcomes developers, designers, business users, and accessibility professionals of all experience levels to a new kind of accessibility conference focused on building, testing, and maintaining accessible digital experiences. Register for axe-con 2022, it's free! Join us for this three-day, multi-track conference to help further your digital accessibility efforts. Hear from the top experts in the field, for your area of interest with none of the noise. Learn more about why you should attend or get started by saving your seat by registering now:
1) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Listserv Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-listserv-directory.html
2) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Podcast Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-podcast-directory.html
3) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Game Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-game-directory.html
➜ Buy, Sell or Trade
1) FOR SALE: One Perfect BrailleSense Polaris 32Listing Date: 9/16/2021 | Price: $1,450.00 USD | Condition: New. | Description: We have one unused Hims Braille Sense Polaris 32. This notetaker has powerful built-in capabilities and can also be used as a 32 cell Braille display and Braille keyboard for your computer and/or phone. | Contact: Email firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ or (408) 659-1374 ☎. |
2) FOR SALE: One Victor Reader Stream TREKListing Date: 9/16/2021 | Price: $60.00 USD | Condition: Gently Used. | Description: This VR TREK will need a new battery, and the small clip that holds the battery in is broken, you may be able to have this fixed, or you could just use tape to hold the battery in. Other than that it works just fine. Comes with its originall carrying case. | Contact: Email email@example.com ✉. |
3) FOR SALE: One Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Ad (Just like this one.)Price: $5.00 USD | Description: List your new, gently-used or refurbished item in FOUR (4) consecutive issues of Top Tech Tidbits for just $5.00 USD. | Buy an Ad: Fill out this short 10-step form ✔ to secure your Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Advertisement today. | Learn more at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/buy-sell-trade.html 🌐 |
Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor Classified Ads:
➜ LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired Adaptations Online Store Featured Products
Revolution Cane Tip: Standard Roller Tip: $14.50 | Locator Dots: Small Pack of 6 (Clear or Orange): $2.00 | NFB Metal Cane Tip: $3.00 | TMAP - On Demand Tactile Street | Map (set of two maps): $25.00 | Ambutech Aluminum Folding Cane: $35.00 | NFB Chris Park Telescoping Cane: $45.00 | BoldWriter 20 Pen (Individual or 6-pack): $2.00 | Bump Dots: Mixed (50 count): $7.00 | Braille Apple Catalina VoiceOver Guide OSX 10.15 (3 volumes) - Latest Manual: $52.00 | SpeedDots iPhone Tactile Screen Protector, Phone Layout: $12.00 | NFB Chris Park 7-Piece Folding Cane: $50.00 | Visit https://adaptations.org/ to learn more today!
Sponsor Since: October 1, 2020
Website: https://adaptations.org/ 🌐
Toll Free: (888) 400-8933 ☎
Local: (415) 694-7301 ☎
About: Founded in 1902, San Francisco's LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired promotes the independence, equality and self-reliance of people who are blind or have low vision. Adaptations is your online go-to for tools, technology, and accessible solutions for blind and visually impaired people.
➜ Build A Foundational Understanding Of Construction And Electronics With BRIC: Structures® Access Kit From APH - An Adapted Version Of An Educational Elenco® Product For Students Who Are Blind And Visually Impaired!
The BRIC: Structures® Access Kit combines ordinary building bricks with Snap Circuits® to create 26 projects, such as circuits and real-world structures, that run on electricity. Visit https://www.aph.org/product/bric-structures-access-kit/ to learn more.
Sponsor Since: July 2nd 2020
Website: https://www.aph.org/ 🌐
Toll Free and Customer Support: (800) 223-1839 ☎
Phone: (512) 895-2405 ☎
Fax: (512) 899-2284 ░
YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/WENRlCNDsxQ 🎥
Free Apps & Actions from APH: https://www.aph.org/free-apps-from-aph/ 📱
About: Since 1858, the American Printing House for the Blind has operated in Louisville, Kentucky as the world's largest nonprofit organization, creating accessible learning experiences through educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are blind and visually impaired. APH believes that the future belongs to everyone. By offering innovative products and services, APH opens up a door of opportunities for lifelong independence and success.
➜ GuideLights And Gadgets: New For Fall
(1) Get our new Medical 3 Talk bundle: infrared thermometer, BP meter, and now, our new talking oximeter; $130.00 plus $16.80 shipping; $20 off our usual price through end of October. (2) Another new neck pouch, this one a little bigger, with Velcro instead of a snap closure, and much more durable leather than the first one; $25.00 for one, $40.00 for 2. (3) Our 59 and 48 inch aluminum telescopic canes can be used at any length and compact to 12 inches; $50.00; Many New bags too; if you want to know more, Call Barry (617) 969-7500 ☎ | firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ or KaeAnn (781) 286-1696 ☎ | email@example.com ✉ for dog products (grooming, safety, travel, and toys.)
Sponsor Since: June 25th 2020
Website: http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/ 🌐
About: Our Scope of Products: We specialize in 3 lines of products, all intended to assist in access to adaptive electronics, enhance experiences for guide dog teams, and offer practical solutions for organization and travel with a variety of leather bags, pouches, and backpacks. Then there are the random products that are included, just for fun! We enjoy working with our customers 1-on-1 to their money is well spent and not wasted on something they may not use. In thinking about our customers and whether we will carry a product our guiding motto is that it must be: practical, affordable, simple, tested, and accessible (the pasta principle) and it seems to work very well.
What We Do: We bring our business either via zoom, phone, or to your conference or convention, to give each customer a chance for questions and where possible, "hands on" evaluation of the merchandise. Kae and I test and use each product as blind users before we put it in our catalog. In the case of products for guide and service dogs, our own three guides, Thor, Debra and Melody, are engaged in the process of evaluating the usefulness, durability, and/or fun of the product. We want each of our products to be useful, accessible, afforable, and, whenever possible, fun! Our inventory is constantly changing, so a visit to us is never the same experience twice!
➜ Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub
If you're like me, you probably have more things to plug into your computer than available ports. That's why we've now added the Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub. Plug it into your laptop and you will get 3 USB ports, SD and Micro SD card slots, a USBC charging port, and an HDMI video port. It's available now for just $29.95:
Sponsor Since: June 11th 2020
Website: https://www.atguys.com/ 🌐
Phone: (269) 216-4798 ☎
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
Skype: atguys ✆
Twitter: https://twitter.com/atguys (@atguys) ✍
Facebook: https://facebook.com/atguys ✍
About: ATGuys.com. Your access technology experts, home for cool gadgets, accessories, and more. Our products are all tested to work great for blind and visually impaired users but also work just as well for anyone. If there's an item you're looking for, or if you have a question, please don't hesitate to send us a message or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
Sponsor Since: September 30th 2021
Website: https://hims-inc.com/ 🌐
Shop All Products: https://hims-inc.com/shop-all-products/ 🛒
Phone: (512) 837-2000 ☎
About: HIMS, Inc. is a global manufacturer and distributor that has provided braille, magnification and accessible healthcare devices since 1999.
➜ VIP-3000 Talking Thermostat Now $199.99 & FreeShipping from BlindMiceMegaMall.com
Independently control the comfort of your home! The VIP 3000 is a universal heating - cooling talking thermostat designed specifically for persons who are blind or have low vision. Introduced in 2003 they were the first accessible digital thermostats specifically designed to offer audio playback of indoor temperature, temperature settings and programming instructions so blind and visually impaired users can independently & precisely manage their indoor comfort. Don't over pay. Read More and order Yours Now:
Sponsor Since: September 23rd 2021
Website: https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/ 🌐
Blind Mice Order Center Phone: (866) 922-8877 ☎
Blind Mice Order Center Hours: 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM CST/CDT (GMT-5) Monday through Friday
Mall Directory of Stores: https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory 🛒
Join The Today's Cheese Newsletter: Join the Today's Cheese newsletter to get Members' Only sales & Unadvertised Specials from the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. You can save money with these unadvertised specials! Send an email to: TodaysCheese+Subscribe@Groups.io ✉
Blind Mice Swap Shop: Sell, Swap, and Buy. The Mice receive calls everyday asking if we buy or sell used or unwanted items. The Mice don't sell used products but to help our members, we created the Blind Mice Swap Shop! The Blind Mice Swap Shop is the place for Sellers, Traders, & Buyers to find each other! Do you ... have something you don't want anymore... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Got something you just don't use... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Got something new to sell... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Provide a service that might be helpful to other Blind and Visually Impaired folks... Post it to the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Have an announcement about an upcoming event beneficial to the Blind & Visually Impaired Community... Post it to the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Joining the Blind Mice Swap Shop is free and as easy as sending an email to: BlindMiceSwapShop+Subscribe@Groups.io ✉
About: Welcome to Blind Mice Mega Mall! The Mall with the Blind In Mind! Blind Mice Mega Mall is designed for use with a screen reader and low vision software for visually impaired shoppers. Each store is an independent business owned / managed by a member of the Blind / Low Vision Community. Please browse & shop the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. You will find great items and unique offerings from our merchants. You help the Blind Community every time you make a purchase from any of the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. Every purchase made at Blind Mice Mega Mall gives back to the Blind and Visually Impaired Community. Proceeds from sales fund the MouseHole Scholarship Program, the Cooking In The Dark Show and The Movie Vault. Blind Mice Mega Mall accepts American Express, Discover, Mastercard, Visa, PayPal, Checks, and Money Orders. Purchase Orders From State Agencies are also welcome.
➜ Screen Reader User Tester Training Program at the Carroll Center for the Blind
Want to break into the digital accessibility field as a screen reader user tester? Through the Carroll Center for the Blind's all new 6-week intensive Screen Reader User Tester Training program, participants can learn and grow their ability to professionally explore, test, and report findings regarding the accessibility of websites, mobile applications, and digital document files using screen readers. To learn more about the User Tester program, visit:
Sponsor Since: August 5th 2021
Website: https://carroll.org/ 🌐
Phone: (617) 969-6200 ☎Fax: (617) 969-6204 ░
Shop: https://carroll.org/store/ 🛒
Donate: https://carroll.org/donate ❤
About: The Carroll Center for the Blind is the foremost leader in vision rehabilitation services for individuals confronted by the challenges of vision loss. Our mission is to empower those who are blind or visually impaired to achieve independence and to lead a fulfilling life. Established in 1936, the renowned Carroll Center for the Blind has been serving those with vision impairment for over eight decades; we are known nationally as a premier Vision Rehabilitation Center. Located just outside of Boston on a sprawling campus in Newton, Massachusetts, we proudly serve ALL ages and ALL stages of vision loss. With the ongoing promise of improving the lives of people with vision-related problems, The Carroll Center for the Blind has pioneered many innovative services allowing people who are blind or have low vision to learn the skills to be independent in their homes, in class settings, and in their work places. Our services include vision rehabilitation, vocational and transition programs, assistive technology training, educational support, and recreation opportunities for individuals who are visually impaired of all ages. For over 80 years, the expertise of Carroll Center staff has provided help for thousands of blind and visually impaired persons with diverse opportunities for success and independent living.
➜ The 50% Introductory Rate for Scribe for Meetings is Coming to a Close!
Sign up for your lifetime subscription at the discounted rate before October 15, and lock in your access to future features, including the recently unveiled functionality with Microsoft Teams. Robust accessibility at the price you want starts here:
Sponsor Since: June 3rd 2021
Website: https://pneumasolutions.com/ 🌐
Email Newsletter: Click here to receive periodic news via email concerning Pneuma Solutions products for business, consumers and education.
Sales: (866) 202-0520 ☎
Support: (650) 249-1000 ☎
About: Backed by two decades of creating award-winning accessible cloud technologies for people with visual impairments, Pneuma Solutions is the global leader in accessible cloud-based solutions. Pneuma Solutions was founded by long-time accessibility developers Mike Calvo and Matt Campbell. For more information on their individual profiles, click on their respective bio pages. We're proud to be the first company to develop cloud-based accessibility at the network level. Our tools provide organizations, like yours, a way to deliver secure, accessible information right from your network or from our secure servers. You can provide your print disabled consumers, students, employees, and citizens with a multitude of accessible options. Additionally, we offer a suite of cloud-based applications to blind and print disabled consumers directly from our website. Our consumer products are designed to make the day-to-day lives of blind and print disabled individuals more accessible and simpler to manage. Access to information is not a privilege, it's a right. It's also your right to obtain affordable, accessible cloud solutions to serve your end user. When organizations like yours implement our tools, together we help make it a more inclusive world for people with disabilities. Want to know more about how we can help you become more inclusive?
Contact us here. We'll be happy to discuss how our tools can help with your accessibility needs.
➜ Freedom Scientific Focus Blue 5th Generation Refreshable Braille Displays
Our world-class refreshable Braille displays deliver efficient Braille input and outstanding output for your PC or mobile device. The robust Bluetooth® connectivity provides seamless use with Windows®, Mac®, iPhones®, iPads®, and AndroidTM smartphones and tablets. Ergonomic navigation features allow quick, natural hand movements for greater productivity. When used with JAWS® screen reading software, they support our popular Braille Study Mode, an interactive tool for teaching and learning Braille. Learn more today:
Sponsor Since: April 15th 2021
Website: https://www.freedomscientific.com/ 🌐
Email: email@example.com ✉
Phone: (800) 444-4443 ☎
About: Freedom Scientific, a Vispero brand, is a leading worldwide brand of assistive technology products for those with vision impairments. We offer products designed to promote independence, allowing blind and low vision individuals the same access to information as their sighted peers. World-renowned JAWS (Job Access With Speech) screen reading software and ZoomText screen magnification software provide users the independence and ability to seek education and obtain or maintain a career after vision loss. Our expansive product line includes both low vision and blindness technology for all aspects of daily living. The wide range of RUBY, TOPAZ, and ONYX desktop and portable video magnifiers are designed for their ease of use and assist with daily activities. Our impressive line of blindness hardware products include refreshable Braille displays and scanning and reading devices, offering many options tailored to fit individual needs.
➜ VisionAware Resources: The Reader's Digest Getting Started Guide to Vision
APHConnectCenter has resources to help blind and low vision people thrive.?Share the Reader's Digest Getting Started with Vision Loss Guide with people who need to know about living with vision loss. https://visionaware.org/
Sponsor Since: March 4th 2021
Website: https://aphconnectcenter.org/ 🌐
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
APH ConnectCenter Information and Referral Line:
Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM ET
About: The APH ConnectCenter offers curated advice and resources to assist children, parents, adults, and job seekers who are blind or visually impaired, and their associated professionals, leading to greater independence and success in their lives.
➜ BRAILLIANT Renewed! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series is here!
The wait is over! A redefined family of Brailliant refreshable Braille displays has arrived! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series will help you stay connected, download books from many participating online libraries and share information easily with your peers. You will enjoy the intuitive, seamless user experience of KeySoft Lite, the HumanWare flagship accessibility suite designed to make you more productive. Including the Brailliant BI 40X and the Brailliant BI 20X, this is the Brailliant idea you need!
Sponsor Since: February 4th 2021
Website: http://humanware.com/ 🌐
Phone (Asia): +61 2 9686 2600 ☎
YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRWVYiggn-w 🎥
About: HumanWare is the global leader in assistive technology for people who are blind or have low vision. HumanWare offers a wide range of innovative products, including the BrailleNote Touch, first Google certified braille tablet, the iOS compatible Brailliant braille displays, Victor Reader®, the world's leading family of digital audiobook players, the unique Prodigi® family of desktop and portable vision and reading systems, and the ultra-portable explore line of electronic handheld magnifier.
➜ Accessible Pharmacy Joins Be My Eyes
Accessible Pharmacy, the new, home delivery pharmacy with a blind founder, is bringing its full range of support and services to Be My Eyes. Users of the Be My Eyes app can now call Accessible Pharmacy directly to get support with medication, medical devices, and even home delivery COVID testing. With a fully trained and discreet pharmacy staff on call from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM Pacific, Accessible Pharmacy is the new way for blind and low vision consumers to get an easy, frictionless pharmacy experience. Call today — and you'll never have to take an Uber to the drugstore again.
Lead Contact: Will Butler, VP of Community
Sponsor Since: November 5th 2020
Website: https://www.bemyeyes.com/ 🌐
Download The App (iOS):
Download The App (Android):
About: Be My Eyes is a free mobile app that allows anyone who needs video support to get assistance from a dynamic range of volunteers and company customer support professionals from around the world. With more than 4 million volunteers and dozens of companies offering on-demand visual interpretation and support, Be My Eyes is a free, unlimited way to bridge gaps and get access to whatever information you need — 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in any language. Download the app today from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
Top Tech Tidbits is a leading, not-for-profit adaptive technology publication that reaches over 7,100 adaptive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts, all over the world, each week.
Top Tech Tidbits offers a total of 12 Sponsorship Packages which are used to support the ongoing distribution of the publication.
There are 0 of 12 packages currently available.
If you would like to become a Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor, but there are no sponsorship packages currently available, we encourage you to join our waiting list by sending an email to: email@example.com ✉.
Once you have joined our waiting list we will notify you the next time a current sponsor decides not to renew. You will then have 72 hours to secure your sponsorship before it is offered to the next sponsor on the list.
When available you can secure one of these packages for just $325.00 USD for the next 3 months, or save $100.00 USD and join us for the year. All Sponsorship Packages are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Please help us to support the ongoing distribution of this publication. Consider showing your support for the world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology while enjoying these incredible benefits. Learn more today at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
Top Tech Tidbits Supporters:
We couldn't do it without you! Thank for your support!
Tidbits Supporters donate an amount of their choosing on an annual basis in order to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication.
If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support.
In tandem with Our Sponsors, these are the people that make the ongoing distribution of Tidbits possible:
1.) Gary Lee
2.) Anonymous Donation
3.) Pshon Barrett
1.) Howard Goldstein
2.) David Goldstein
3.) Katherine Crohan
1.) Your name here. Help support Tidbits today.
1.) Steven Wettlaufer
Top Tech Tidbits Subscription Information:
ABOUT:Founded in 2004, Top Tech Tidbits is a leading not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 7,000 assistive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week. Sign up here. Review the archive here. Adaptive Technology refers to items that are specifically designed for people with disabilities. Adaptive Technology is a subset of Assistive Technology. Adaptive Technology often refers specifically to electronic and information technology access. Top Tech Tidbits is a Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication. Publisher: Aaron Di Blasi. Contributing Editors: John Hanlin, Jenna Lang, Stephen (Alex) Marositz, and Ben Moxey. Top Tech Tidbits is a sponsor and reader supported publication.
RELEASE SCHEDULE:Top Tech Tidbits is released every Thursday morning at 4:00 AM ET.
SUBSCRIBE:Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter on the Top Tech Tidbits Website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com or by (SMS) texting "TOPTECHTIDBITS" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter. It's that easy.
SPONSOR:If you would like to become 1 of only 18 Top Tech Tidbits Sponsors whose annual support makes the distribution of Top Tech Tidbits possible, we offer you the following benefits, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
SUPPORT:If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/donate.html.
WEBSITE:Visit the Top Tech Tidbits website online at https://www.toptechtidbits.com.
FACEBOOK:Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Facebook News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/facebook.
TWITTER:Are you on Twitter? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Twitter News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/twitter.
LINKEDIN:Are you on LinkedIn? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your LinkedIn News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/linkedin.
YOUTUBE:Are you on YouTube? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your YouTube Video Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/youtube.
RSS:Do you prefer RSS? Follow Top Tech Tidbits via RSS today to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology using your choice of news aggregator: https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits.
QUESTIONS:Tidbits are intentionally concise. As a result we know that some readers may not always understand all of the items listed because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVEVisit the Top Tech Tidbits Archive at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/archive.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT CONTRIBUTORS:Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be submitted online via our Top Tech Tidbit Submission Form at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/submit-tidbit or directed to our Editors at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Home: Top Tech Tidbits||News: Top Tech Tidbits||Subscribe: Top Tech Tidbits||Donate: Top Tech Tidbits||Search: Top Tech Tidbits||Facebook: Top Tech Tidbits||Twitter: Top Tech Tidbits||LinkedIn: Top Tech Tidbits||YouTube: Top Tech Tidbits||RSS: Top Tech Tidbits||Back to Top|
Information provided by: