Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, October 21, 2021 - Volume 829
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication
Top Tech Tidbits. The world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology.
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Buy a Reveal 16 or a Reveal 16i and Get The Gift of a FREE Battery and a FREE Exploré 5
Great news! Now and until November 30, 2021, HumanWare will extend an incredible offer! When purchasing a Reveal 16 or Reveal 16i, you'll receive an Exploré 5, our pocket-size magnifier, and a FREE battery for the Reveal 16 or Reveal 16i of your choice.
Delivering an uncompromisingly superb image quality, Reveal 16 is the simplest-to-use, transportable, desktop magnifier suitable for seniors, young students, and anyone in between looking for an easy-to-use solution. The Reveal 16i, the smart, connected, and transportable version, is a unique, all-in-one digital magnifier that will keep you engaged in today's fast-paced world and connected to your family and friends.
Don't miss the opportunity to get all the solutions you need to conquer low vision in every way - at home, at school, or while going about your daily activities indoors or outdoors!
For more details about Reveal 16 and Reveal 16i, please visit our website at: https://bit.ly/3FXFBVF.
Dear Tidbits Subscriber,
1) Top 5 Most Clicked Tidbits From Last WeekA.) Quick Phrases Feature Now Rolling Out To Google Assistant: (7.8% of all clicks.)
B.) What's New In Microsoft 365 Accessibility Features For Fall 2021: (7.3% of all clicks.)
C.) Anker Announces Soundcore's First Audio Glasses, Priced At $200: (7.1% of all clicks.)
D.) Youtube Doubles Down On Accessibility With These Caption And Audio Features: (6.9% of all clicks.)
E.) Air Pods Pro Can Help You Hear Conversations Better After Recent Firmware Update: (5.3% of all clicks.)
2) Freedom Scientific Announces RUBY 10 Video MagnifierFreedom Scientific has announced the RUBY 10, a 10-inch touchscreen video magnifier with optional text to speech and advanced viewing modes. The RUBY 10 video magnifier features a 10-inch touchscreen and three dedicated cameras to help you magnify letters, magazines, labels, and photos. A swing-out arm allows you to view items in your hand and write. Enable full-page OCR on the speech model when the arm is extended. With a touch of a button, you can scan pages and have them read aloud to you. The third camera is dedicated to seeing objects at a short distance, such as signs and menus on a wall. The RUBY 10 also introduces unique, patent-pending viewing modes that come standard with both models:
3) Enhancements in JAWS 2022 and Fusion 2022 Public Beta 3FreedomScientific has released Public Beta 3 for JAWS. Fixes for Outlook 365, sound cards settings, AppReader are among the changes:
4) Annotate Scanned Text And PDFs With Supernova 20.03This latest update brings the ability to annotate scanned images with SuperNova for low vision users:
5) NVDACon 2021 Community LetterNVDACon 2021 will be held on the first weekend of December 2021. The exact dates and timing will be determined as the conference draws closer, and the speakers are known. This year, the conference is titled "NVDA, 15 years and still evolving."
6) NVDA Addon Quick NotetakerThe Quick Notetaker add-on is a tool which allows writing notes quickly and easily anytime and from any app the user is using. Whether the user is watching a video for example, or participating in a meeting on Zoom, Microsoft Teams or Google Meet, they can easily and smoothly open the notetaker and take a note. Markdown and Microsoft Word are supported formats as well as the ability to view as HTML:
7) Simplenote, The Simplest Way To Keep NotesSpeaking of notetaking, Simplenote, an app by Automattic, is an accessible and free notetaking app that supports markdown on iOS and the web interface. It is used by this author to prepare the weekly Tidbits:
8) Public Beta Of Language Preference FeatureThis one comes to us via the AIRA Connections newsletter. Spanish is now an option in beta for AIRA Explorers. Explorers are encouraged to give it a try and AIRA Spanish speaking agents are sought:
9) 5 Easy Ways You Can Be An Ally To Disabled TravelersThe Points Guy brings us 5 tips on being an Ally to travelers with disabilities. While most tips focus on travelers with mobility impairments, the advice is useful for everyone:
10) Stark, A Hub For Accessible Software Design, Launches A Mac App In BetaThis Mac app claims to help software designers and developers make their apps more accessible using automated techniques:
11) NV Access | In-Process 19th October 2021The latest version of In-Process is out. Find out about NVDACon, the premier, yearly online conference that's dedicated to NVDA and how you can get involved. Plus, there's minor updates to the official Switching from JAWS to NVDA Guide, and information about Microsoft webinars on Windows 11 accessibility:
12) Sight Tech Global Online Conference RegistrationRegister for the second annual Sight Tech Global online conference for free. Join technology experts and prominent figures focused on improving accessibility:
13) How to Use the Find Dialog in a PDF with NVDA | Quick Tips | YouTubeThee Quinn kicks off a series of quick NVDA tips with this video on using the NVDA find feature:
14) New Software Update for MantisTM Q40 & ChameleonTM 20 Braille DisplaysRead the official release notes to find out what's new and improved for your Mantis or Chameleon Braille display. Note that installation instructions are included under relevant headings:
15) Braille Jumble - BrailleBugTest your Braille skills with this fun, interactive online game from the American Printing House for the Blind:
16) Document Accessibility Training Videos | Section508.govCheck out these great video tutorials from the Accessible Electronic Document Community of Practice (AED CoP). The series aims to ensure your Word, Excel, Power Point and PDF documents are accessible:
17) Windows 11 Tips And Tricks: 8 Hidden Settings You Need To Tryhttps://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/windows-11-tips-and-tricks-8-hidden-settings/
18) The Best Assistive Technology for Dyslexics | WiredWhether you're grappling with homework or just trying to get things done, these tools will help your tech adapt to you — instead of the other way around:
19) Inserting Page Numbers In Your Header or Footer with NVDA — Quick Tips | Thee Quinn YouTube ChannelIn this video, I show you how to insert page numbers into your word documents. I also share a trick which allows you to hear your page numbers:
➜ Press Releases and Other News
1) Google Builds Equity Into The Pixel 6 With Real Tone Photos And New Voice FeaturesGoogle's new Pixel 6 range is designed to more accurately recognize different skin tones and accents. This is tipped to enhance photos, facial recognition, and greatly improve voice dictation and translation:
2) FDA Issues Proposed OTC Hearing Aid RulesThe US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued "a landmark proposal intended to improve access to and reduce the cost of hearing aid technology for millions of Americans," according to the agency's press release:
3) Want A Full Number Pad On Your Laptop? These Are Your Best OptionsWhether it's for data entry, accounting, or just entering numbers and calculations with precision and speed, there are plenty of reasons to have a number pad on a laptop. Even though laptops are getting smaller, you can still purchase several excellent Windows laptops with full number pads. Every one of these devices has a full number pad, and each is one of the best Windows laptop picks in the category:
4) New Chromebook Accessibility Feature Aims To Help People With DyslexiaGoogle adds smoother-sounding voices to its Select-to-speak feature, which lets your laptop read selected text aloud:
5) Mesa, Arizona Debuts New Accessibility Technology for Blind and Low Vision VisitorsAs part of Visit Mesa's on-going mission to ensure Mesa, Arizona is one of the nation's most accessible travel destinations, City of Mesa has become an Aira Access partner. Aira is now available at no-cost to residents as well as visitors who are blind or have low vision:
6) Deque Systems Adds Renowned Speakers to Axe-con 2022 Line-upProminent digital accessibility platform adds Tim Berners-Lee, Rachel Andrew, Regine Gilbert and more to industry-leading conference:
➜ Featured Podcast Episodes
1) Hadley Presents: A Conversation with the Experts | Considering a White Cane: Who? When? Why?October 15th 2021 | In honor of White Cane Safety Day today, we're joined by Hadley learner Larry Carlson and Orientation and Mobility Specialist Elijah Haines for a conversation about this important tool. Larry shares what made him decide to use a white cane, and Elijah shares tips for what to consider and how to adjust to using a white cane:
2) Outdoors with Lawrence Gunther 36 | Exploring Eastern Townships on Motorbikes in QuebecOctober 16th 2021 | On AMI Audio's program "Outdoors with Lawrence Gunther" we explore Quebec's Eastern Townships on motorbikes and more. Join Lawrence and Lilly as they pic apples, picnic on mountain tops, tour Quebec's Eastern Townships aboard motorbikes, and prepare a Thanksgiving feast complete with a deep-fried turkey. Lots of tips on riding aboard motorcycles blind, and expert advice on two versus three wheeled motorcycles:
3) Blind Android Users 45 | It's All About BrailleOctober 16th 2021 | In this episode, we talk about all thing's braille on Android. We show you how to connect a braille display to an android device, how to use braille back, and then comment on brltty and the status of braille on Android. We have a chat with the developers/ founders of Eyecan app which is an all in 1 tool for android, the app is still in beta and lots of features are being added. We then have talkback highlights in which we show how to manage custom labels:
4) Mosen At Large 153October 16th 2021 Feedback from Windows 11 early adopters, Apple and Android discussion, and meet the Voxmate suite for Android:
5) Eyes on Success 2143 UN Resolution Commits Countries to Eye CareOctober 20th 2021
Many people around the world suffer from vision problems that are readily treatable. A new United Nations resolution aims to address this problem. Hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey talk with Jessica Thompson, Head of Policy and Advocacy at the International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness (IAPB) about the resolution and what it hopes to accomplish:
➜ Featured Webinars and Training Courses
1) Windows 11 Accessibility Overview by MicrosoftOctober 27th 2021 | 12PM PT, 1PM MT, 2PM CT, 3PM ET, 7PM GMT | Hector Minto, Lead Accessibility Evangelist, Accessibility Team. Jeremy Curry, Support Escalation Engineer, Accessibility Team. We are excited to share how we are empowering people with disabilities to achieve more with Windows 11. This webinar will focus on a broad overview of accessibility in Windows 11, including new Contrast themes, how Windows 11 makes accessibility features easier to find and use, and more:
2) Managing Folders, Files, and Drives With a Screen Reader Part 3 by Access IngenuityOctober 27th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | Join Ian Ramos and Zhi Huang from Access Ingenuity as they explain the File Explorer interface of Windows 10 and provide many examples and tips to manage your folders, files, and drives. Although this is a Part 3, attendees would still benefit from this even if they didn't attend Parts 1 and 2. In addition, please feel free to contact us if there's an interest in the Parts 1 and 2 recordings. Learning Outcomes: Provide more explanations and examples on how to work with the Tree View and List View and how they affect each other. Show practical examples for previously introduced methods to rename, select, cut, copy, paste, and delete files and folders. Demonstrate how to manage drives such as an SD Card for the Victor Reader, and how to work with syncing folders like OneDrive and Google Drive. | Meeting ID: 896 8577 0228 | Passcode: 483670 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,89685770228#,,,,*483670# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose) | Join Zoom Meeting:
3) Browsing the Web With JAWS Part 2 | Access IngenuityNovember 3rd 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | Join Zhi Huang and Rachel Reeves from Access Ingenuity to explore the various methods to use JAWS to help increase your effectiveness when browsing the web. Even if you did not participate in part 1, you can still benefit from this presentation. Learning Outcomes: Review the JAWS Screen sensitive help to find out about general web page information, along with help with the element in focus. Use JAWS navigation quick keys and lists to navigate by forms, headings, links, regions, graphics, lists, list items, and tables. Introduce the Surf's Up tutorial from Freedom Scientific to help you practice navigating the web with JAWS. Better understand forms including different form fields and the Forms modes of JAWS. Meeting ID: 832 4240 0330 | Passcode: 372805 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,83242400330#,,,,*372805# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose) | Join Zoom Meeting:
4) Technology User Group (TUG) Annual Look at Assistive Technology Gadgets, Gizmos and ThingamajigsNovember 6th 2021 | 7AM PT, 8AM MT, 9AM CT, 10AM ET, 2PM GMT | On Saturday, November 6, the Technology User Group proudly presents our annual look at assistive technology gadgets, gizmos and thingamajigs. This showcase will help you select the perfect gift for the most important person in your life ... You! All items presented will cost $100 or less. You do not need to RSVP for this event. The presentation will begin at 10 AM and last about an hour. All Technology User Group meetings are virtual and may be joined by calling:
(319) 527-4994 ☎
5) ATHEN (Access Technology Higher Education Network) 2021 Annual MeetingNovember 9th 2021 | 11AM PT, 12PM MT, 1PM CT, 2PM ET, 6PM GMT | All are welcome to attend the ATHEN Annual Meeting. Real-Time Captioning will be provided. If you would like to request any additional disability-related accommodations, please contact me at email@example.com ✉ | Zoom meeting:
6) JAWS, Fusion, and ZoomText 2022 New Features | Access IngenuityNovember 10th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | Join Ian Ramos and Zhi Huang from Access Ingenuity to explore what's new in JAWS, Fusion, and ZoomText 2022! Learning Outcomes: Explain how to pin favorite commands when using ZoomText or Fusion. Demonstrate the modified ability to use both the ZoomText and JAWS assistance when using Fusion in 2022. Introduce the ability to split your screen reader speech and computer sound when using stereo headphones, great for Zoom meetings or other videoconferences. Explore additional features when available. Meeting ID: 825 7780 4526 | Passcode: 145893 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,82577804526#,,,,*145893# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose) | Join Zoom Meeting:
7) Accessing Higher Ground Accessible Media, Web and Technology Conference by Association on Higher Education And Disability (AHEAD)November 15th 2021 Through November 19th 2021 | Presented and hosted by AHEAD, Accessing Higher Ground is conducted in collaboration with ATHEN:
8) Using Windows 11 with a Screen Reader by MicrosoftNovember 17th 2021 | 12PM PT, 1PM MT, 2PM CT, 3PM ET, 7PM GMT | Jeff Bishop, Program Manager, Windows Engineering. Anne Taylor, Program Manager, Accessibility Team. Brett Humphrey, Program Manager, Teams Engineering. We are excited to share how we are empowering screen reader users to achieve more with what's coming in Windows 11. This webinar will focus on a broad overview of accessibility experiences in Windows 11. This includes new Start Menu interactions, a new Windows Settings experience, an all-new chat experience with your friends and family and more. New Windows hotkeys will also be introduced for things like Quick Settings, Notifications and others. Many of these features will be demoed using Narrator and third-party screen readers to give you a feel for the all new Windows 11 after you upgrade:
9) New Braille Productivity Features While Working With Windows, JAWS, and the Focus Braille Displays | Access IngenuityNovember 17th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | Join Ian Ramos and Zhi Huang from Access Ingenuity as they explain the advantages of the new firmware upgrade for the Focus 5th generation braille displays, and introduce the new ElEdit application to allow you to increase your productivity with braille and print files on Windows. Learning Outcomes: Explain the new features of the firmware upgrade for the Focus 5th generation braille displays including turning on and off word wrap, turning off the feature requiring a pin to connect to Bluetooth devices, one-handed mode, Etc. Demonstrate how to get the upgrade and how to perform the firmware upgrade itself. Introduce the new ElEdit app for Windows and JAWS allowing the user to finally read BRF files both in braille and speech while using Windows! Explore additional features of the ElEdit app including the ability to quickly translate from braille to print, print to braille, print the document, emboss a document, send a document to Microsoft Word, and more! | Meeting ID: 863 6137 8742 | Passcode: 881387 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,86361378742#,,,,*881387# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose) | Join Zoom Meeting:
10) Carroll Center For The Blind: 2021 Free Virtual Technology FairNovember 23rd 2021 | The Carroll Center for the Blind's Virtual Technology Fair is back! Supercharge your independence from the comfort of your living room, office or anywhere you can log on. Attend exciting and informative presentations, visit with assistive technology exhibitors in breakout rooms, and find the products and services you need to live as independently as possible. Don't miss this opportunity to explore the latest products for individuals who are visually impaired. Free and open to consumers, families, friends, and professionals — the Carroll Center for the Blind's Virtual Technology Fair is sure to impress! Have you registered yet? Register for the Virtual Technology Fair today:
11) 2nd Annual Sight Tech Global 2021December 1st & 2nd 2021 | 100% free. 100% virtual. Sight Tech Global is the first global, virtual conference dedicated to fostering discussion among technology pioneers on how rapid advances in AI and related technologies will fundamentally alter the landscape of assistive technology and accessibility. Registration is now open:
12) ATHEN (Access Technology Higher Education Network) 1st Annual "Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM) Accessibility: Starting with Math"February 10th 2022 and February 11th 2022 | This virtual conference will take place on February 10th and 11th 2022. We are striving to create a diverse conference where experts can share their best practices, solutions, techniques, etc. for accessing and creating accessible STEM content in higher education. Join us! | Call for Proposal (Google Form) (Open now!) | Brush up by taking a sneak peek into the complexities in creating accessible STEM content in the YouTube video "Factors Involved in Making STEM Content Accessible" (10-minutes). | Conference Details, Dates, Registration, Cost:.
13) Axe-Con 2022March 15th 2022 through March 17th 2022 | Axe-con is an open and inclusive digital accessibility conference that welcomes developers, designers, business users, and accessibility professionals of all experience levels to a new kind of accessibility conference focused on building, testing, and maintaining accessible digital experiences. Register for axe-con 2022, it's free! Join us for this three-day, multi-track conference to help further your digital accessibility efforts. Hear from the top experts in the field, for your area of interest with none of the noise. Learn more about why you should attend or get started by saving your seat by registering now:
1) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Listserv Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-listserv-directory.html
2) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Podcast Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-podcast-directory.html
3) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Game Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-game-directory.html
➜ Buy, Sell or Trade
1) FOR SALE: One Cyclone Braille Embosser for Text or GraphicsListing Date: 10/21/2021 | Price: $1,501.00 USD | Condition: Gently used. | Description: Lightweight, single-sided high quality embosser with speeds up to 60 characters per second. Includes Firebird Software Suite; Firebird Graphics Editor that allows you to produce Braille graphics in 12.5 and 17 DPI Flashdrive with manuals & setup guide. | Contact: Email firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ or (508) 854-1630 ☎. |
2) FOR SALE: One Dell G7 7500 LaptopListing Date: 10/21/2021 | Price: $855.00 USD | Condition: New. | Description: Lightning fast, current Windows 10 64 bit, Jaws 2021 installed with no authorization. NVDA upon request. 15.6 inch display, Intel Core i7 at 2.6 Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD & power adapter. Retails for $1200.00. | Contact: Email email@example.com ✉ or (508) 854-1630 ☎. |
3) FOR SALE: One Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Ad (Just like this one.)Price: $5.00 USD | Description: List your new, gently-used or refurbished item in FOUR (4) consecutive issues of Top Tech Tidbits for just $5.00 USD. | Buy an Ad: Fill out this short 10-step form ✔ to secure your Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Advertisement today. | Learn more at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/buy-sell-trade.html 🌐 |
Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor Classified Ads:
➜ Accessible Pharmacy Joins Be My Eyes
Accessible Pharmacy, the new, home delivery pharmacy with a blind founder, is bringing its full range of support and services to Be My Eyes. Users of the Be My Eyes app can now call Accessible Pharmacy directly to get support with medication, medical devices, and even home delivery COVID testing. With a fully trained and discreet pharmacy staff on call from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM Pacific, Accessible Pharmacy is the new way for blind and low vision consumers to get an easy, frictionless pharmacy experience. Call today — and you'll never have to take an Uber to the drugstore again.
Lead Contact: Will Butler, VP of Community
Sponsor Since: November 5th 2020
Website: https://www.bemyeyes.com/ 🌐
Download The App (iOS):
Download The App (Android):
About: Be My Eyes is a free mobile app that allows anyone who needs video support to get assistance from a dynamic range of volunteers and company customer support professionals from around the world. With more than 4 million volunteers and dozens of companies offering on-demand visual interpretation and support, Be My Eyes is a free, unlimited way to bridge gaps and get access to whatever information you need — 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in any language. Download the app today from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
➜ LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired Adaptations Online Store Featured Products
Revolution Cane Tip: Standard Roller Tip: $14.50 | Locator Dots: Small Pack of 6 (Clear or Orange): $2.00 | NFB Metal Cane Tip: $3.00 | TMAP - On Demand Tactile Street | Map (set of two maps): $25.00 | Ambutech Aluminum Folding Cane: $35.00 | NFB Chris Park Telescoping Cane: $45.00 | BoldWriter 20 Pen (Individual or 6-pack): $2.00 | Bump Dots: Mixed (50 count): $7.00 | Braille Apple Catalina VoiceOver Guide OSX 10.15 (3 volumes) - Latest Manual: $52.00 | SpeedDots iPhone Tactile Screen Protector, Phone Layout: $12.00 | NFB Chris Park 7-Piece Folding Cane: $50.00 | Visit https://adaptations.org/ to learn more today!
Sponsor Since: October 1, 2020
Website: https://adaptations.org/ 🌐
Toll Free: (888) 400-8933 ☎
Local: (415) 694-7301 ☎
About: Founded in 1902, San Francisco's LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired promotes the independence, equality and self-reliance of people who are blind or have low vision. Adaptations is your online go-to for tools, technology, and accessible solutions for blind and visually impaired people.
➜ Coding is Easy and Accessible with Colby the Code & Go Robot Mouse
Code & Go Mouse introduces coding concepts and tactile graphics as users program Colby to race through a maze toward the cheese. Colby lights-up, makes sounds, and features two speeds along with colorful buttons for easy programming and sequencing.
Sponsor Since: July 2nd 2020
Website: https://www.aph.org/ 🌐
Toll Free and Customer Support: (800) 223-1839 ☎
Phone: (512) 895-2405 ☎
Fax: (512) 899-2284 ░
YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/WENRlCNDsxQ 🎥
Free Apps & Actions from APH: https://www.aph.org/free-apps-from-aph/ 📱
About: Since 1858, the American Printing House for the Blind has operated in Louisville, Kentucky as the world's largest nonprofit organization, creating accessible learning experiences through educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are blind and visually impaired. APH believes that the future belongs to everyone. By offering innovative products and services, APH opens up a door of opportunities for lifelong independence and success.
➜ GuideLights And Gadgets: New For Fall
(1) Get our new Medical 3 Talk bundle: infrared thermometer, BP meter, and now, our new talking oximeter; $130.00 plus $16.80 shipping; $20 off our usual price through end of October. (2) Another new neck pouch, this one a little bigger, with Velcro instead of a snap closure, and much more durable leather than the first one; $25.00 for one, $40.00 for 2. (3) Our 59 and 48 inch aluminum telescopic canes can be used at any length and compact to 12 inches; $50.00; Many New bags too; if you want to know more, Call Barry (617) 969-7500 ☎ | firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ or KaeAnn (781) 286-1696 ☎ | email@example.com ✉ for dog products (grooming, safety, travel, and toys.)
Sponsor Since: June 25th 2020
Website: http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/ 🌐
About: Our Scope of Products: We specialize in 3 lines of products, all intended to assist in access to adaptive electronics, enhance experiences for guide dog teams, and offer practical solutions for organization and travel with a variety of leather bags, pouches, and backpacks. Then there are the random products that are included, just for fun! We enjoy working with our customers 1-on-1 to their money is well spent and not wasted on something they may not use. In thinking about our customers and whether we will carry a product our guiding motto is that it must be: practical, affordable, simple, tested, and accessible (the pasta principle) and it seems to work very well.
What We Do: We bring our business either via zoom, phone, or to your conference or convention, to give each customer a chance for questions and where possible, "hands on" evaluation of the merchandise. Kae and I test and use each product as blind users before we put it in our catalog. In the case of products for guide and service dogs, our own three guides, Thor, Debra and Melody, are engaged in the process of evaluating the usefulness, durability, and/or fun of the product. We want each of our products to be useful, accessible, afforable, and, whenever possible, fun! Our inventory is constantly changing, so a visit to us is never the same experience twice!
➜ Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub
If you're like me, you probably have more things to plug into your computer than available ports. That's why we've now added the Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub. Plug it into your laptop and you will get 3 USB ports, SD and Micro SD card slots, a USBC charging port, and an HDMI video port. It's available now for just $29.95:
Sponsor Since: June 11th 2020
Website: https://www.atguys.com/ 🌐
Phone: (269) 216-4798 ☎
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
Skype: atguys ✆
Twitter: https://twitter.com/atguys (@atguys) ✍
Facebook: https://facebook.com/atguys ✍
About: ATGuys.com. Your access technology experts, home for cool gadgets, accessories, and more. Our products are all tested to work great for blind and visually impaired users but also work just as well for anyone. If there's an item you're looking for, or if you have a question, please don't hesitate to send us a message or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
➜ Order Now! Get The Most Powerful Android Notetaker Available, the BrailleSense 6 From HIMS. It's Simply The Best.
The time is now to get your all-new BrailleSense 6 notetaker, the most powerful and user-friendly notetaker on the market. Running Android 10, with 128 GB of Storage, 6 GB of Memory, and an 8-Core CPU, the BrailleSense 6 is the ultimate braille notetaker. Learn more today at:
Sponsor Since: September 30th 2021
Website: https://hims-inc.com/ 🌐
Shop All Products: https://hims-inc.com/shop-all-products/ 🛒
Phone: (512) 837-2000 ☎
About: HIMS, Inc. is a global manufacturer and distributor that has provided braille, magnification and accessible healthcare devices since 1999.
➜ Modified Talking Black & Decker Toaster Oven Factory Directfrom E T S! Save $50 & Free U.S. Shipping
Order by 11/14/2021 for delivery before Christmas. The Modified Black and Decker counter top talking toaster oven Allows persons with low or no vision to warm, toast, bake and broil foods confidently & independently. Toast Up to 9-Slices of bread or Bake Two 12 inch Pizzas at once. Cook all your favorite foods. Clear and easy to understand High quality male voice. Simple To Operate! Buttons are embossed & easy to locate. Now $399.99 & Free US Mainland Shipping:
Sponsor Since: September 23rd 2021
Website: https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/ 🌐
Blind Mice Order Center Phone: (866) 922-8877 ☎
Blind Mice Order Center Hours: 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM CST/CDT (GMT-5) Monday through Friday
Mall Directory of Stores: https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory 🛒
Join The Today's Cheese Newsletter: Join the Today's Cheese newsletter to get Members' Only sales & Unadvertised Specials from the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. You can save money with these unadvertised specials! Send an email to: TodaysCheese+Subscribe@Groups.io ✉
Blind Mice Swap Shop: Sell, Swap, and Buy. The Mice receive calls everyday asking if we buy or sell used or unwanted items. The Mice don't sell used products but to help our members, we created the Blind Mice Swap Shop! The Blind Mice Swap Shop is the place for Sellers, Traders, & Buyers to find each other! Do you ... have something you don't want anymore... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Got something you just don't use... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Got something new to sell... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Provide a service that might be helpful to other Blind and Visually Impaired folks... Post it to the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Have an announcement about an upcoming event beneficial to the Blind & Visually Impaired Community... Post it to the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Joining the Blind Mice Swap Shop is free and as easy as sending an email to: BlindMiceSwapShop+Subscribe@Groups.io ✉
About: Welcome to Blind Mice Mega Mall! The Mall with the Blind In Mind! Blind Mice Mega Mall is designed for use with a screen reader and low vision software for visually impaired shoppers. Each store is an independent business owned / managed by a member of the Blind / Low Vision Community. Please browse & shop the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. You will find great items and unique offerings from our merchants. You help the Blind Community every time you make a purchase from any of the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. Every purchase made at Blind Mice Mega Mall gives back to the Blind and Visually Impaired Community. Proceeds from sales fund the MouseHole Scholarship Program, the Cooking In The Dark Show and The Movie Vault. Blind Mice Mega Mall accepts American Express, Discover, Mastercard, Visa, PayPal, Checks, and Money Orders. Purchase Orders From State Agencies are also welcome.
➜ Screen Reader User Tester Training Program at the Carroll Center for the Blind
Want to break into the digital accessibility field as a screen reader user tester? Through the Carroll Center for the Blind's all new 6-week intensive Screen Reader User Tester Training program, participants can learn and grow their ability to professionally explore, test, and report findings regarding the accessibility of websites, mobile applications, and digital document files using screen readers. To learn more about the User Tester program, visit:
Sponsor Since: August 5th 2021
Website: https://carroll.org/ 🌐
Phone: (617) 969-6200 ☎Fax: (617) 969-6204 ░
Shop: https://carroll.org/store/ 🛒
Donate: https://carroll.org/donate ❤
About: The Carroll Center for the Blind is the foremost leader in vision rehabilitation services for individuals confronted by the challenges of vision loss. Our mission is to empower those who are blind or visually impaired to achieve independence and to lead a fulfilling life. Established in 1936, the renowned Carroll Center for the Blind has been serving those with vision impairment for over eight decades; we are known nationally as a premier Vision Rehabilitation Center. Located just outside of Boston on a sprawling campus in Newton, Massachusetts, we proudly serve ALL ages and ALL stages of vision loss. With the ongoing promise of improving the lives of people with vision-related problems, The Carroll Center for the Blind has pioneered many innovative services allowing people who are blind or have low vision to learn the skills to be independent in their homes, in class settings, and in their work places. Our services include vision rehabilitation, vocational and transition programs, assistive technology training, educational support, and recreation opportunities for individuals who are visually impaired of all ages. For over 80 years, the expertise of Carroll Center staff has provided help for thousands of blind and visually impaired persons with diverse opportunities for success and independent living.
➜ The 50% Introductory Rate for Scribe for Meetings is Coming to a Close!
Sign up for your lifetime subscription at the discounted rate before October 15, and lock in your access to future features, including the recently unveiled functionality with Microsoft Teams. Robust accessibility at the price you want starts here:
Sponsor Since: June 3rd 2021
Website: https://pneumasolutions.com/ 🌐
Email Newsletter: Click here to receive periodic news via email concerning Pneuma Solutions products for business, consumers and education.
Sales: (866) 202-0520 ☎
Support: (650) 249-1000 ☎
About: Backed by two decades of creating award-winning accessible cloud technologies for people with visual impairments, Pneuma Solutions is the global leader in accessible cloud-based solutions. Pneuma Solutions was founded by long-time accessibility developers Mike Calvo and Matt Campbell. For more information on their individual profiles, click on their respective bio pages. We're proud to be the first company to develop cloud-based accessibility at the network level. Our tools provide organizations, like yours, a way to deliver secure, accessible information right from your network or from our secure servers. You can provide your print disabled consumers, students, employees, and citizens with a multitude of accessible options. Additionally, we offer a suite of cloud-based applications to blind and print disabled consumers directly from our website. Our consumer products are designed to make the day-to-day lives of blind and print disabled individuals more accessible and simpler to manage. Access to information is not a privilege, it's a right. It's also your right to obtain affordable, accessible cloud solutions to serve your end user. When organizations like yours implement our tools, together we help make it a more inclusive world for people with disabilities. Want to know more about how we can help you become more inclusive?
Contact us here. We'll be happy to discuss how our tools can help with your accessibility needs.
➜ Freedom Scientific Focus Blue 5th Generation Refreshable Braille Displays
Our world-class refreshable Braille displays deliver efficient Braille input and outstanding output for your PC or mobile device. The robust Bluetooth® connectivity provides seamless use with Windows®, Mac®, iPhones®, iPads®, and AndroidTM smartphones and tablets. Ergonomic navigation features allow quick, natural hand movements for greater productivity. When used with JAWS® screen reading software, they support our popular Braille Study Mode, an interactive tool for teaching and learning Braille. Learn more today:
Sponsor Since: April 15th 2021
Website: https://www.freedomscientific.com/ 🌐
Email: email@example.com ✉
Phone: (800) 444-4443 ☎
About: Freedom Scientific, a Vispero brand, is a leading worldwide brand of assistive technology products for those with vision impairments. We offer products designed to promote independence, allowing blind and low vision individuals the same access to information as their sighted peers. World-renowned JAWS (Job Access With Speech) screen reading software and ZoomText screen magnification software provide users the independence and ability to seek education and obtain or maintain a career after vision loss. Our expansive product line includes both low vision and blindness technology for all aspects of daily living. The wide range of RUBY, TOPAZ, and ONYX desktop and portable video magnifiers are designed for their ease of use and assist with daily activities. Our impressive line of blindness hardware products include refreshable Braille displays and scanning and reading devices, offering many options tailored to fit individual needs.
➜ VisionAware Resources Including the Directory of Services
APHConnectCenter has resources to help blind and low vision people thrive. In addition to the Reader's Digest Getting Started with Vision Loss Guide You can also check out the Directory of Services to locate resources in your community for living with blindness and low vision. https://visionaware.org/
Sponsor Since: March 4th 2021
Website: https://aphconnectcenter.org/ 🌐
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
APH ConnectCenter Information and Referral Line:
Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM ET
About: The APH ConnectCenter offers curated advice and resources to assist children, parents, adults, and job seekers who are blind or visually impaired, and their associated professionals, leading to greater independence and success in their lives.
➜ BRAILLIANT Renewed! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series is here!
The wait is over! A redefined family of Brailliant refreshable Braille displays has arrived! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series will help you stay connected, download books from many participating online libraries and share information easily with your peers. You will enjoy the intuitive, seamless user experience of KeySoft Lite, the HumanWare flagship accessibility suite designed to make you more productive. Including the Brailliant BI 40X and the Brailliant BI 20X, this is the Brailliant idea you need!
Sponsor Since: February 4th 2021
Website: http://humanware.com/ 🌐
Phone (Asia): +61 2 9686 2600 ☎
YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRWVYiggn-w 🎥
About: HumanWare is the global leader in assistive technology for people who are blind or have low vision. HumanWare offers a wide range of innovative products, including the BrailleNote Touch, first Google certified braille tablet, the iOS compatible Brailliant braille displays, Victor Reader®, the world's leading family of digital audiobook players, the unique Prodigi® family of desktop and portable vision and reading systems, and the ultra-portable explore line of electronic handheld magnifier.
Top Tech Tidbits is a leading, not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 7,200 Adaptive Technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week.
Top Tech Tidbits offers a total of 12 Sponsorship Packages which are used to support the ongoing distribution of the publication.
There are 0 of 12 packages currently available.
If you would like to become a Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor, but there are no sponsorship packages currently available, we encourage you to join our waiting list by sending an email to: email@example.com ✉.
Once you have joined our waiting list we will notify you the next time a current sponsor decides not to renew. You will then have 72 hours to secure your sponsorship before it is offered to the next sponsor on the list.
When available you can secure one of these packages for just $325.00 USD for the next 3 months, or save $100.00 USD and join us for the year. All Sponsorship Packages are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Please help us to support the ongoing distribution of this publication. Consider showing your support for the world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology while enjoying these incredible benefits. Learn more today at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
Top Tech Tidbits Supporters:
We couldn't do it without you! Thank for your support!
Tidbits Supporters donate an amount of their choosing on an annual basis in order to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication.
If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support.
In tandem with Our Sponsors, these are the people that make the ongoing distribution of Tidbits possible:
1.) Gary Lee
2.) Anonymous Donation
3.) Pshon Barrett
1.) Howard Goldstein
2.) David Goldstein
3.) Katherine Crohan
1.) Your name here. Help support Tidbits today.
1.) Steven Wettlaufer
Top Tech Tidbits Subscription Information:
ABOUT:Founded in 2004, Top Tech Tidbits is a leading not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 7,000 assistive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week. Sign up here. Review the archive here. Adaptive Technology refers to items that are specifically designed for people with disabilities. Adaptive Technology is a subset of Assistive Technology. Adaptive Technology often refers specifically to electronic and information technology access. Top Tech Tidbits is a Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication. Publisher: Aaron Di Blasi. Contributing Editors: John Hanlin, Jenna Lang, Stephen (Alex) Marositz, and Ben Moxey. Top Tech Tidbits is a sponsor and reader supported publication.
RELEASE SCHEDULE:Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday is sent out every Thursday morning at 4:00 AM EST / EDT.
SUBSCRIBE:Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter on the Top Tech Tidbits Website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com or by (SMS) texting "TOPTECHTIDBITS" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter. It's that easy.
SPONSOR:If you would like to become 1 of only 12 Tidbits Sponsors whose annual support makes the distribution of Top Tech Tidbits possible, we offer you the following benefits, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
SUPPORT:If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/donate.html.
WEBSITE:Visit the Top Tech Tidbits website online at https://www.toptechtidbits.com.
FACEBOOK:Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Facebook News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/facebook.
TWITTER:Are you on Twitter? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Twitter News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/twitter.
LINKEDIN:Are you on LinkedIn? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your LinkedIn News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/linkedin.
YOUTUBE:Are you on YouTube? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your YouTube Video Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/youtube.
RSS:Do you prefer RSS? Follow Top Tech Tidbits via RSS today to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology using your choice of news aggregator: https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits.
QUESTIONS:Tidbits are intentionally concise. As a result we know that some readers may not always understand all of the items listed because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVEVisit the Top Tech Tidbits Archive at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/archive.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT CONTRIBUTORS:Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be submitted online via our Top Tech Tidbit Submission Form at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/submit-tidbit or directed to our Editors at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Home: Top Tech Tidbits||News: Top Tech Tidbits||Subscribe: Top Tech Tidbits||Donate: Top Tech Tidbits||Search: Top Tech Tidbits||Facebook: Top Tech Tidbits||Twitter: Top Tech Tidbits||LinkedIn: Top Tech Tidbits||YouTube: Top Tech Tidbits||RSS: Top Tech Tidbits||Back to Top|
Information provided by: