Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, October 28, 2021 - Volume 830
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication
Top Tech Tidbits. The world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology.
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Take Your Tech to the Next Level at the Virtual Technology Fair hosted by the Carroll Center for the Blind
Supercharge your independence at the Virtual Technology Fair! On November 23, the Carroll Center for the Blind's annual Technology Fair is back to connect you with innovative, transformative technology that can make an immediate impact on your life. With a virtual event, you'll be able to participate from the comfort of your living room, office or anywhere you can log on.
At the Virtual Technology Fair, you'll have a chance to discover exciting new products and services exhibitors are offering for people who are blind or have low vision in the Virtual Exhibition Hall. You'll also get to learn directly from our experts during sessions on a variety of topics, including: iPhone iOS 15 Accessibility, Tips and Tricks for Windows Screen Reader Users, Top Ten Ways to Use Amazon's Alexa, and how to How to Advocate for More Accessible Apps and Websites.
Registration is free. Learn more and sign up for the Virtual Technology Fair at:
Dear Tidbits Subscriber,
1) Top 5 Most Clicked Tidbits From Last WeekA.) Windows 11 Tips And Tricks: 8 Hidden Settings You Need To Try: (9.1% of all clicks.)
B.) Simplenote, The Simplest Way To Keep Notes: (8.5% of all clicks.)
C.) Braille Jumble - BrailleBug: (5.8% of all clicks.)
D.) Enhancements in JAWS 2022 and Fusion 2022 Public Beta 3: (5.4% of all clicks.)
E.) 5 Easy Ways You Can Be An Ally To Disabled Travelers: (5.1% of all clicks.)
2) Apple Releases iOS 15.1 and iPadOS 15.1; Bringing Many Fixes for VoiceOver and Braille Users | ApplevisApple has released iOS 15.1 and iPadOS 15.1 to the public. Testing suggests that these releases resolve a number of the issues introduced for blind and low vision users with the initial releases of iOS and iPadOS 15:
3) Finding Things You've Dropped | Hadley WorkshopsLearn how to successfully find dropped items:
4) A Review of the Orbit Reader 40 by Scott Davert, Coordinator: Technology, Research and Innovation Center, Helen Keller National Center for DeafBlind Youths and AdultsIn January of 2018, I reviewed the original Orbit Reader 20 From Orbit Research. It was "intended primarily as a braille display for reading braille files and for connecting to external devices. With a much lower price point than other 20-cell displays, the Orbit Reader 20 does not have onboard translation options, Cursor Routing Buttons or many of the other features found in braille devices that cost thousands of dollars more." Fast forward to 2021 and Orbit Research has a new device that is a 40-cell display, featuring Cursor Routing Buttons, built in translation options, connectivity for up to 5 Bluetooth devices and much more. This was done while maintaining the idea of developing a solid braille device while still keeping the price far below other comparable options:
5) 6th Annual Let's Go Shopping Retail Therapy Extravaganza Set For Friday, November 5th and Saturday, November 6th 2021The next Let's Go Shopping Retail Therapy Extravaganza is set for Friday, November 5th and Saturday, November 6th 2021. This will be the 6th LGS event, and it promises to be the most fun and exciting yet! Get early access to the vendor list, event schedule, special sales, promotions, door prizes, news and updates. Spread the word use the tag #LetsGoShopping when tweeting about the event. Then, shop til you drop while enjoying some good retail therapy! Simply join our announce-only email list. Just send a blank email to:
6) Jaws, ZoomText and Fusion 2022 ReleasedFreedom Scientific has released 2022 versions of Jaws, ZoomText and Fusion. Some of the improvements include automatic importing of settings, improvements in Microsoft Office, a new "Sound Splitter," voice assistant, and braille language switching:
7) You Can Now Add Your COVID Vaccine Card To iPhone's Apple WalletEasier and more accessible than showing businesses and other venues your printed card, iPhone Users have several options for including their vaccine card to Apple Wallet. If using a QR code, iPhone owners scan it with their camera, tap the Health app notification, then add it to the Wallet and Health apps. You can also download a verifiable health record from your provider and add that to the Health and Wallet apps:
8) Zoom's Automatic Closed Captioning Rolls Out To All Free UsersZoom improves accessibility for users with hearing impairments, non-native speakers, and those with environmental limitations by adding automated transcription to its free accounts:
9) 2022 ATHEN Virtual STEM Accessibility Conference: Starting with MathThe Accessible Technology Higher Education Network (ATHEN) is hosting the first ever Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM) Accessibility: Starting with Math virtual conference on February 10th and 11th, 2022. ATHEN is striving for a diverse conference where experts can share their best practices, solutions, techniques, etc. for accessing and creating accessible STEM content in higher education. This is going to be exciting, novel, resourceful, and enlightening to all who care about accessible content in STEM fields in higher education. A call for proposals is now open:
10) How To Request Tax Information In Alternative Formatsthis author recently received this notice in braille from the IRS and thought it may be useful to some Tidbit readers in the United States. The IRS is developing a process to make it easier for visually impaired taxpayers to request post-filing tax notices-such as notices about additional taxes or penalties owed-in Braille, large print, audio, or electronic formats. The new process will be in place by January 31, 2022:
11) Android 12 New Features: Hands-On With 100+ Additions!Dive deep into the new features of Android 12 as it begins to roll-out to supported hardware:
12) 10 Great MacOS Monterey Features Worth Upgrading ForThe MacRumors team highlight ten reasons to upgrade to the latest MacOS Monterey:
13) The New Features, Changes, Improvements, and Bugs in macOS 12 Monterey for Blind and Low Vision Users | ApplevisApple has released macOS 12 Monterey to the public. As usual, we won't cover the mainstream features here, concentrating instead on what's new and changed for blind and low vision users:
14) Commentary Screen Reader FeaturesThe Commentary screen reader on Android is an alternative to Talkback. The Blind Android Users podcast has provided several segments covering Commentary's features:
15) Microsoft Edge Tips for JAWS: Downloads | Freedom Scientific Training YouTube ChannelLearn how to access and optimize your downloads in Microsoft Edge with JAWS:
➜ Press Releases and Other News
1) When Will Disney Update Classic Attractions for Accessibility?While these issues identified by the author primarily focus on physical access, readers should consider improving accessibility for other aspects as well. The author makes the point, "Bringing in guests with various disabilities to give feedback, test possible solutions, and refine would ultimately lead toward the best success for enhancing accessibility:"
2) Draft of Promoting Access to Voting: Recommendations for Addressing Barriers to Private and Independent Voting for People with DisabilitiesThe National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) requests public comments on the Draft of Promoting Access to Voting: Recommendations for Addressing Barriers to Private and Independent Voting for People with Disabilities. NIST is directed to identify barriers to private and independent voting for people with disabilities, make recommendations to remove these barriers, and evaluate the steps needed to ensure that the online Federal Voter Registration Form is accessible to people with disabilities. Public comment is open for the next month:
3) A Simple Change Makes This New Mastercard Easier To Use For Blind And Sight-Impaired PeopleIt may look like an inconsequential tweak, but it marks an important step in the company's quest for inclusivity:
4) Indoor Skydiving Thrills Visually Impaired Adventurists | YouTubeA group of thrill-seekers who are blind or visually impaired took to the air to try their hands at indoor skydiving in a Barcelona wind tunnel, Wednesday, October 20th 2021:
5) Students Can Learn With Their Mouths As Well As With Their Eyes And HandsThe finding is a win for education accessibility for blind and low-vision students:
6) With The "Artificial Retina", Blind People Can See Again Even Without Using Their EyesA study conducted by Miguel Hernandez University (Spain) and published in the Journal of Clinical Investigation found an alternative way to restore sight for blind patients: through glasses that directly stimulate the cortex. In practice, the invention uses an "artificial retina" and detects light in front of its user:
7) Visually-Impaired Athlete's Wholesome Video Revealing How He Tackles Every Day Tasks Goes Viral, Wins HeartsBut are his activities limited to only basic things? Of course not. Anthony is an avid skateboarder, a motivational speaker, and a guitarist. He even takes his dog out for walks on the main roads of New York and public areas:
➜ Featured Podcast Episodes
1) Mosen At Large 154October 23rd 2021 New tech from Apple and Google, what games can a blind person play with their sighted kids, and a review of the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 3 5G:
2) Blind Android Users 46 | It's News Time!October 23rd 2021 | In this episode we talk about the release of Pixel 6 and 6 Pro and Android 12 stable. Then we talk about news readers, we demo google news and pocket news reader. We have an interview with Scott Adams from Lookout scanning and OCR app by Google. We then show how to use physical keyboard with Talkback:
3) DM81 - Who's That?October 26th 2021
In this podcast Damashe and Michael discuss our thoughts on the iPhone 13 Mini Damashe has been using, the simply safe security system. A discussion of the soundcraft signature 12MTK and how we are getting people in from clubhouse to the Cleanfeed tool we use to record. We talk about the Apple unleashed event and Michael's podcast switching. A discussion about Calendar on Windows and Mac and closing the episode out with a discussion about the new BlindShell 2 phone:
4) Eyes on Success 2144 Accessibility Features Introduced in iOS 15October 27th 2021
Every year Apple releases a new and improved operating system for iOS devices. Each release also often comes with new accessibility features, and this year is no exception. Hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey talk with Dean Hudson, Apple's Accessibility Evangelist, about some of the new features that are expected to benefit visually impaired users in iOS 15:
➜ Featured Webinars and Training Courses
1) Blast Off to More Braille with PageBlaster | Access Academy | APH ConnectCenterNovember 3rd 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | Blast off to more braille with PageBlaster, one of the first embossers available on quota. Along with our partners from HumanWare, APH will present on how to use the PageBlaster to print high-quality, interpoint braille. We'll explore ways to create tactile graphics and produce math with BrailleBlaster:
2) Browsing the Web With JAWS Part 2 | Access IngenuityNovember 3rd 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | Join Zhi Huang and Rachel Reeves from Access Ingenuity to explore the various methods to use JAWS to help increase your effectiveness when browsing the web. Even if you did not participate in part 1, you can still benefit from this presentation. Learning Outcomes: Review the JAWS Screen sensitive help to find out about general web page information, along with help with the element in focus. Use JAWS navigation quick keys and lists to navigate by forms, headings, links, regions, graphics, lists, list items, and tables. Introduce the Surf's Up tutorial from Freedom Scientific to help you practice navigating the web with JAWS. Better understand forms including different form fields and the Forms modes of JAWS. Meeting ID: 832 4240 0330 | Passcode: 372805 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,83242400330#,,,,*372805# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose) | Join Zoom Meeting:
3) 6th Annual Let's Go Shopping Retail Therapy ExtravaganzaNovember 5th 2021 and November 6th 2021| The next Let's Go Shopping Retail Therapy Extravaganza is set for Friday, November 5th and Saturday, November 6th 2021. This will be the 6th LGS event, and it promises to be the most fun and exciting yet! Get early access to the vendor list, event schedule, special sales, promotions, door prizes, news and updates. Spread the word use the tag #LetsGoShopping when tweeting about the event. Then, shop til you drop while enjoying some good retail therapy! Simply join our announce-only email list. Just send a blank email to:
4) What's New With ZoomText? | Access Academy | APH ConnectCenterNovember 5th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | Get ready for ZoomText 2022! Join Ben Knolles for more information about the Quick Access toolbar, learn how to get the most out of the voice assistant, and review the features that make ZoomText a must-have:
5) Technology User Group (TUG) Annual Look at Assistive Technology Gadgets, Gizmos and ThingamajigsNovember 6th 2021 | 7AM PT, 8AM MT, 9AM CT, 10AM ET, 2PM GMT | On Saturday, November 6, the Technology User Group proudly presents our annual look at assistive technology gadgets, gizmos and thingamajigs. This showcase will help you select the perfect gift for the most important person in your life ... You! All items presented will cost $100 or less. You do not need to RSVP for this event. The presentation will begin at 10 AM and last about an hour. All Technology User Group meetings are virtual and may be joined by calling:
(319) 527-4994 ☎
6) ATHEN (Access Technology Higher Education Network) 2021 Annual MeetingNovember 9th 2021 | 11AM PT, 12PM MT, 1PM CT, 2PM ET, 6PM GMT | All are welcome to attend the ATHEN Annual Meeting. Real-Time Captioning will be provided. If you would like to request any additional disability-related accommodations, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ | Zoom meeting:
7) JAWS, Fusion, and ZoomText 2022 New Features | Access IngenuityNovember 10th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | Join Ian Ramos and Zhi Huang from Access Ingenuity to explore what's new in JAWS, Fusion, and ZoomText 2022! Learning Outcomes: Explain how to pin favorite commands when using ZoomText or Fusion. Demonstrate the modified ability to use both the ZoomText and JAWS assistance when using Fusion in 2022. Introduce the ability to split your screen reader speech and computer sound when using stereo headphones, great for Zoom meetings or other videoconferences. Explore additional features when available. Meeting ID: 825 7780 4526 | Passcode: 145893 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,82577804526#,,,,*145893# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose) | Join Zoom Meeting:
8) Accessing Higher Ground Accessible Media, Web and Technology Conference by Association on Higher Education And Disability (AHEAD)November 15th 2021 Through November 19th 2021 | Presented and hosted by AHEAD, Accessing Higher Ground is conducted in collaboration with ATHEN:
9) Using Windows 11 with a Screen Reader by MicrosoftNovember 17th 2021 | 12PM PT, 1PM MT, 2PM CT, 3PM ET, 7PM GMT | Jeff Bishop, Program Manager, Windows Engineering. Anne Taylor, Program Manager, Accessibility Team. Brett Humphrey, Program Manager, Teams Engineering. We are excited to share how we are empowering screen reader users to achieve more with what's coming in Windows 11. This webinar will focus on a broad overview of accessibility experiences in Windows 11. This includes new Start Menu interactions, a new Windows Settings experience, an all-new chat experience with your friends and family and more. New Windows hotkeys will also be introduced for things like Quick Settings, Notifications and others. Many of these features will be demoed using Narrator and third-party screen readers to give you a feel for the all new Windows 11 after you upgrade:
10) New Braille Productivity Features While Working With Windows, JAWS, and the Focus Braille Displays | Access IngenuityNovember 17th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | Join Ian Ramos and Zhi Huang from Access Ingenuity as they explain the advantages of the new firmware upgrade for the Focus 5th generation braille displays, and introduce the new ElEdit application to allow you to increase your productivity with braille and print files on Windows. Learning Outcomes: Explain the new features of the firmware upgrade for the Focus 5th generation braille displays including turning on and off word wrap, turning off the feature requiring a pin to connect to Bluetooth devices, one-handed mode, Etc. Demonstrate how to get the upgrade and how to perform the firmware upgrade itself. Introduce the new ElEdit app for Windows and JAWS allowing the user to finally read BRF files both in braille and speech while using Windows! Explore additional features of the ElEdit app including the ability to quickly translate from braille to print, print to braille, print the document, emboss a document, send a document to Microsoft Word, and more! | Meeting ID: 863 6137 8742 | Passcode: 881387 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,86361378742#,,,,*881387# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose) | Join Zoom Meeting:
11) Carroll Center For The Blind: 2021 Free Virtual Technology FairNovember 23rd 2021 | The Carroll Center for the Blind's Virtual Technology Fair is back! Supercharge your independence from the comfort of your living room, office or anywhere you can log on. Attend exciting and informative presentations, visit with assistive technology exhibitors in breakout rooms, and find the products and services you need to live as independently as possible. Don't miss this opportunity to explore the latest products for individuals who are visually impaired. Free and open to consumers, families, friends, and professionals — the Carroll Center for the Blind's Virtual Technology Fair is sure to impress! Have you registered yet? Register for the Virtual Technology Fair today:
12) 2nd Annual Sight Tech Global 2021December 1st & 2nd 2021 | 100% free. 100% virtual. Sight Tech Global is the first global, virtual conference dedicated to fostering discussion among technology pioneers on how rapid advances in AI and related technologies will fundamentally alter the landscape of assistive technology and accessibility. Registration is now open:
13) ATHEN (Access Technology Higher Education Network) 1st Annual "Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM) Accessibility: Starting with Math"February 10th 2022 and February 11th 2022 | This virtual conference will take place on February 10th and 11th 2022. We are striving to create a diverse conference where experts can share their best practices, solutions, techniques, etc. for accessing and creating accessible STEM content in higher education. Join us! | Call for Proposal (Google Form) (Open now!) | Brush up by taking a sneak peek into the complexities in creating accessible STEM content in the YouTube video "Factors Involved in Making STEM Content Accessible" (10-minutes). | Conference Details, Dates, Registration, Cost:.
14) Axe-Con 2022March 15th 2022 through March 17th 2022 | Axe-con is an open and inclusive digital accessibility conference that welcomes developers, designers, business users, and accessibility professionals of all experience levels to a new kind of accessibility conference focused on building, testing, and maintaining accessible digital experiences. Register for axe-con 2022, it's free! Join us for this three-day, multi-track conference to help further your digital accessibility efforts. Hear from the top experts in the field, for your area of interest with none of the noise. Learn more about why you should attend or get started by saving your seat by registering now:
1) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Listserv Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-listserv-directory.html
2) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Podcast Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-podcast-directory.html
3) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Game Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-game-directory.html
➜ Buy, Sell or Trade
1) FOR SALE: One Cyclone Braille Embosser for Text or GraphicsListing Date: 10/21/2021 | Price: $1,501.00 USD | Condition: Gently used. | Description: Lightweight, single-sided high quality embosser with speeds up to 60 characters per second. Includes Firebird Software Suite; Firebird Graphics Editor that allows you to produce Braille graphics in 12.5 and 17 DPI Flashdrive with manuals & setup guide. | Contact: Email email@example.com ✉ or (508) 854-1630 ☎. |
2) FOR SALE: One Dell G7 7500 LaptopListing Date: 10/21/2021 | Price: $855.00 USD | Condition: New. | Description: Lightning fast, current Windows 10 64 bit, Jaws 2021 installed with no authorization. NVDA upon request. 15.6 inch display, Intel Core i7 at 2.6 Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD & power adapter. Retails for $1200.00. | Contact: Email firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ or (508) 854-1630 ☎. |
3) FOR SALE: One Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Ad (Just like this one.)Price: $5.00 USD | Description: List your new, gently-used or refurbished item in FOUR (4) consecutive issues of Top Tech Tidbits for just $5.00 USD. | Buy an Ad: Fill out this short 10-step form ✔ to secure your Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Advertisement today. | Learn more at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/buy-sell-trade.html 🌐 |
Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor Classified Ads:
➜ BRAILLIANT Renewed! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series is here!
The wait is over! A redefined family of Brailliant refreshable Braille displays has arrived! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series will help you stay connected, download books from many participating online libraries and share information easily with your peers. You will enjoy the intuitive, seamless user experience of KeySoft Lite, the HumanWare flagship accessibility suite designed to make you more productive. Including the Brailliant BI 40X and the Brailliant BI 20X, this is the Brailliant idea you need!
Sponsor Since: February 4th 2021
Website: http://humanware.com/ 🌐
Phone (Asia): +61 2 9686 2600 ☎
YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRWVYiggn-w 🎥
About: HumanWare is the global leader in assistive technology for people who are blind or have low vision. HumanWare offers a wide range of innovative products, including the BrailleNote Touch, first Google certified braille tablet, the iOS compatible Brailliant braille displays, Victor Reader®, the world's leading family of digital audiobook players, the unique Prodigi® family of desktop and portable vision and reading systems, and the ultra-portable explore line of electronic handheld magnifier.
➜ Accessible Pharmacy Joins Be My Eyes
Accessible Pharmacy, the new, home delivery pharmacy with a blind founder, is bringing its full range of support and services to Be My Eyes. Users of the Be My Eyes app can now call Accessible Pharmacy directly to get support with medication, medical devices, and even home delivery COVID testing. With a fully trained and discreet pharmacy staff on call from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM Pacific, Accessible Pharmacy is the new way for blind and low vision consumers to get an easy, frictionless pharmacy experience. Call today — and you'll never have to take an Uber to the drugstore again.
Lead Contact: Will Butler, VP of Community
Sponsor Since: November 5th 2020
Website: https://www.bemyeyes.com/ 🌐
Download The App (iOS):
Download The App (Android):
About: Be My Eyes is a free mobile app that allows anyone who needs video support to get assistance from a dynamic range of volunteers and company customer support professionals from around the world. With more than 4 million volunteers and dozens of companies offering on-demand visual interpretation and support, Be My Eyes is a free, unlimited way to bridge gaps and get access to whatever information you need — 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in any language. Download the app today from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
➜ LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired Adaptations Online Store Featured Products
Revolution Cane Tip: Standard Roller Tip: $14.50 | Locator Dots: Small Pack of 6 (Clear or Orange): $2.00 | NFB Metal Cane Tip: $3.00 | TMAP - On Demand Tactile Street | Map (set of two maps): $25.00 | Ambutech Aluminum Folding Cane: $35.00 | NFB Chris Park Telescoping Cane: $45.00 | BoldWriter 20 Pen (Individual or 6-pack): $2.00 | Bump Dots: Mixed (50 count): $7.00 | Braille Apple Catalina VoiceOver Guide OSX 10.15 (3 volumes) - Latest Manual: $52.00 | SpeedDots iPhone Tactile Screen Protector, Phone Layout: $12.00 | NFB Chris Park 7-Piece Folding Cane: $50.00 | Visit https://adaptations.org/ to learn more today!
Sponsor Since: October 1, 2020
Website: https://adaptations.org/ 🌐
Toll Free: (888) 400-8933 ☎
Local: (415) 694-7301 ☎
About: Founded in 1902, San Francisco's LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired promotes the independence, equality and self-reliance of people who are blind or have low vision. Adaptations is your online go-to for tools, technology, and accessible solutions for blind and visually impaired people.
➜ Coding is Easy and Accessible with Colby the Code & Go Robot Mouse
Code & Go Mouse introduces coding concepts and tactile graphics as users program Colby to race through a maze toward the cheese. Colby lights-up, makes sounds, and features two speeds along with colorful buttons for easy programming and sequencing.
Sponsor Since: July 2nd 2020
Website: https://www.aph.org/ 🌐
Toll Free and Customer Support: (800) 223-1839 ☎
Phone: (512) 895-2405 ☎
Fax: (512) 899-2284 ░
YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/WENRlCNDsxQ 🎥
Free Apps & Actions from APH: https://www.aph.org/free-apps-from-aph/ 📱
About: Since 1858, the American Printing House for the Blind has operated in Louisville, Kentucky as the world's largest nonprofit organization, creating accessible learning experiences through educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are blind and visually impaired. APH believes that the future belongs to everyone. By offering innovative products and services, APH opens up a door of opportunities for lifelong independence and success.
➜ GuideLights And Gadgets: New For Fall
GuideLights and Gadgets: (1) Talking Medical Bundle; $130, includes infrared thermometer, BP meter, and oximeter, or any 2 of the 3 for $90, plus shipping. (2) Our non-collapsing 48 and 59 inch telescopic canes; you have to use one to believe it; $50. (3) The most protective leather case for your 20 cell Braille display; the re-purposed gun case that opens like a book for either carrying or using your machine on the road; $80.00, including shipping. (4) Our new air induction lightweight BT headphones that sound good, have sufficient volume, and stay where you put them on your head; $55. Call Barry (617) 969-7500 ☎ | email@example.com ✉ for info about these and our other gadgets, tech, leather, or dog team products.
Sponsor Since: June 25th 2020
Website: http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/ 🌐
About: Our Scope of Products: We specialize in 3 lines of products, all intended to assist in access to adaptive electronics, enhance experiences for guide dog teams, and offer practical solutions for organization and travel with a variety of leather bags, pouches, and backpacks. Then there are the random products that are included, just for fun! We enjoy working with our customers 1-on-1 to their money is well spent and not wasted on something they may not use. In thinking about our customers and whether we will carry a product our guiding motto is that it must be: practical, affordable, simple, tested, and accessible (the pasta principle) and it seems to work very well.
What We Do: We bring our business either via zoom, phone, or to your conference or convention, to give each customer a chance for questions and where possible, "hands on" evaluation of the merchandise. Kae and I test and use each product as blind users before we put it in our catalog. In the case of products for guide and service dogs, our own three guides, Thor, Debra and Melody, are engaged in the process of evaluating the usefulness, durability, and/or fun of the product. We want each of our products to be useful, accessible, afforable, and, whenever possible, fun! Our inventory is constantly changing, so a visit to us is never the same experience twice!
➜ Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub
If you're like me, you probably have more things to plug into your computer than available ports. That's why we've now added the Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub. Plug it into your laptop and you will get 3 USB ports, SD and Micro SD card slots, a USBC charging port, and an HDMI video port. It's available now for just $29.95:
Sponsor Since: June 11th 2020
Website: https://www.atguys.com/ 🌐
Phone: (269) 216-4798 ☎
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
Skype: atguys ✆
Twitter: https://twitter.com/atguys (@atguys) ✍
Facebook: https://facebook.com/atguys ✍
About: ATGuys.com. Your access technology experts, home for cool gadgets, accessories, and more. Our products are all tested to work great for blind and visually impaired users but also work just as well for anyone. If there's an item you're looking for, or if you have a question, please don't hesitate to send us a message or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
➜ Order Now! Get The Most Powerful Android Notetaker Available, the BrailleSense 6 From HIMS. It's Simply The Best.
The time is now to get your all-new BrailleSense 6 notetaker, the most powerful and user-friendly notetaker on the market. Running Android 10, with 128 GB of Storage, 6 GB of Memory, and an 8-Core CPU, the BrailleSense 6 is the ultimate braille notetaker. Learn more today at:
Sponsor Since: September 30th 2021
Website: https://hims-inc.com/ 🌐
Shop All Products: https://hims-inc.com/shop-all-products/ 🛒
Phone: (512) 837-2000 ☎
About: HIMS, Inc. is a global manufacturer and distributor that has provided braille, magnification and accessible healthcare devices since 1999.
➜ Modified Talking Black & Decker Toaster Oven Factory Directfrom E T S! Save $50 & Free U.S. Shipping
Order by 11/14/2021 for delivery before Christmas. The Modified Black and Decker counter top talking toaster oven Allows persons with low or no vision to warm, toast, bake and broil foods confidently & independently. Toast Up to 9-Slices of bread or Bake Two 12 inch Pizzas at once. Cook all your favorite foods. Clear and easy to understand High quality male voice. Simple To Operate! Buttons are embossed & easy to locate. Now $399.99 & Free US Mainland Shipping:
Sponsor Since: September 23rd 2021
Website: https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/ 🌐
Blind Mice Order Center Phone: (866) 922-8877 ☎
Blind Mice Order Center Hours: 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM CST/CDT (GMT-5) Monday through Friday
Mall Directory of Stores: https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory 🛒
Join The Today's Cheese Newsletter: Join the Today's Cheese newsletter to get Members' Only sales & Unadvertised Specials from the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. You can save money with these unadvertised specials! Send an email to: TodaysCheese+Subscribe@Groups.io ✉
Blind Mice Swap Shop: Sell, Swap, and Buy. The Mice receive calls everyday asking if we buy or sell used or unwanted items. The Mice don't sell used products but to help our members, we created the Blind Mice Swap Shop! The Blind Mice Swap Shop is the place for Sellers, Traders, & Buyers to find each other! Do you ... have something you don't want anymore... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Got something you just don't use... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Got something new to sell... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Provide a service that might be helpful to other Blind and Visually Impaired folks... Post it to the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Have an announcement about an upcoming event beneficial to the Blind & Visually Impaired Community... Post it to the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Joining the Blind Mice Swap Shop is free and as easy as sending an email to: BlindMiceSwapShop+Subscribe@Groups.io ✉
About: Welcome to Blind Mice Mega Mall! The Mall with the Blind In Mind! Blind Mice Mega Mall is designed for use with a screen reader and low vision software for visually impaired shoppers. Each store is an independent business owned / managed by a member of the Blind / Low Vision Community. Please browse & shop the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. You will find great items and unique offerings from our merchants. You help the Blind Community every time you make a purchase from any of the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. Every purchase made at Blind Mice Mega Mall gives back to the Blind and Visually Impaired Community. Proceeds from sales fund the MouseHole Scholarship Program, the Cooking In The Dark Show and The Movie Vault. Blind Mice Mega Mall accepts American Express, Discover, Mastercard, Visa, PayPal, Checks, and Money Orders. Purchase Orders From State Agencies are also welcome.
➜ Screen Reader User Tester Training Program at the Carroll Center for the Blind
Want to break into the digital accessibility field as a screen reader user tester? Through the Carroll Center for the Blind's all new 6-week intensive Screen Reader User Tester Training program, participants can learn and grow their ability to professionally explore, test, and report findings regarding the accessibility of websites, mobile applications, and digital document files using screen readers. To learn more about the User Tester program, visit:
Sponsor Since: August 5th 2021
Website: https://carroll.org/ 🌐
Phone: (617) 969-6200 ☎Fax: (617) 969-6204 ░
Shop: https://carroll.org/store/ 🛒
Donate: https://carroll.org/donate ❤
About: The Carroll Center for the Blind is the foremost leader in vision rehabilitation services for individuals confronted by the challenges of vision loss. Our mission is to empower those who are blind or visually impaired to achieve independence and to lead a fulfilling life. Established in 1936, the renowned Carroll Center for the Blind has been serving those with vision impairment for over eight decades; we are known nationally as a premier Vision Rehabilitation Center. Located just outside of Boston on a sprawling campus in Newton, Massachusetts, we proudly serve ALL ages and ALL stages of vision loss. With the ongoing promise of improving the lives of people with vision-related problems, The Carroll Center for the Blind has pioneered many innovative services allowing people who are blind or have low vision to learn the skills to be independent in their homes, in class settings, and in their work places. Our services include vision rehabilitation, vocational and transition programs, assistive technology training, educational support, and recreation opportunities for individuals who are visually impaired of all ages. For over 80 years, the expertise of Carroll Center staff has provided help for thousands of blind and visually impaired persons with diverse opportunities for success and independent living.
➜ The 50% Introductory Rate for Scribe for Meetings is Coming to a Close!
Sign up for your lifetime subscription at the discounted rate before October 15, and lock in your access to future features, including the recently unveiled functionality with Microsoft Teams. Robust accessibility at the price you want starts here:
Sponsor Since: June 3rd 2021
Website: https://pneumasolutions.com/ 🌐
Email Newsletter: Click here to receive periodic news via email concerning Pneuma Solutions products for business, consumers and education.
Sales: (866) 202-0520 ☎
Support: (650) 249-1000 ☎
About: Backed by two decades of creating award-winning accessible cloud technologies for people with visual impairments, Pneuma Solutions is the global leader in accessible cloud-based solutions. Pneuma Solutions was founded by long-time accessibility developers Mike Calvo and Matt Campbell. For more information on their individual profiles, click on their respective bio pages. We're proud to be the first company to develop cloud-based accessibility at the network level. Our tools provide organizations, like yours, a way to deliver secure, accessible information right from your network or from our secure servers. You can provide your print disabled consumers, students, employees, and citizens with a multitude of accessible options. Additionally, we offer a suite of cloud-based applications to blind and print disabled consumers directly from our website. Our consumer products are designed to make the day-to-day lives of blind and print disabled individuals more accessible and simpler to manage. Access to information is not a privilege, it's a right. It's also your right to obtain affordable, accessible cloud solutions to serve your end user. When organizations like yours implement our tools, together we help make it a more inclusive world for people with disabilities. Want to know more about how we can help you become more inclusive?
Contact us here. We'll be happy to discuss how our tools can help with your accessibility needs.
➜ Freedom Scientific Focus Blue 5th Generation Refreshable Braille Displays
Our world-class refreshable Braille displays deliver efficient Braille input and outstanding output for your PC or mobile device. The robust Bluetooth® connectivity provides seamless use with Windows®, Mac®, iPhones®, iPads®, and AndroidTM smartphones and tablets. Ergonomic navigation features allow quick, natural hand movements for greater productivity. When used with JAWS® screen reading software, they support our popular Braille Study Mode, an interactive tool for teaching and learning Braille. Learn more today:
Sponsor Since: April 15th 2021
Website: https://www.freedomscientific.com/ 🌐
Email: email@example.com ✉
Phone: (800) 444-4443 ☎
About: Freedom Scientific, a Vispero brand, is a leading worldwide brand of assistive technology products for those with vision impairments. We offer products designed to promote independence, allowing blind and low vision individuals the same access to information as their sighted peers. World-renowned JAWS (Job Access With Speech) screen reading software and ZoomText screen magnification software provide users the independence and ability to seek education and obtain or maintain a career after vision loss. Our expansive product line includes both low vision and blindness technology for all aspects of daily living. The wide range of RUBY, TOPAZ, and ONYX desktop and portable video magnifiers are designed for their ease of use and assist with daily activities. Our impressive line of blindness hardware products include refreshable Braille displays and scanning and reading devices, offering many options tailored to fit individual needs.
➜ The Reader's Digest Getting Started Guide to Vision Loss?
APHConnectCenter has resources to help blind and low vision people thrive.?Share the Reader's Digest Getting Started with Vision Loss Guide with people who need to know about living with vision loss. https://visionaware.org/
Sponsor Since: March 4th 2021
Website: https://aphconnectcenter.org/ 🌐
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
APH ConnectCenter Information and Referral Line:
Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM ET
About: The APH ConnectCenter offers curated advice and resources to assist children, parents, adults, and job seekers who are blind or visually impaired, and their associated professionals, leading to greater independence and success in their lives.
Top Tech Tidbits is a leading, not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 7,200 Adaptive Technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week.
Top Tech Tidbits offers a total of 12 Sponsorship Packages which are used to support the ongoing distribution of the publication.
There are 0 of 12 packages currently available.
If you would like to become a Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor, but there are no sponsorship packages currently available, we encourage you to join our waiting list by sending an email to: email@example.com ✉.
Once you have joined our waiting list we will notify you the next time a current sponsor decides not to renew. You will then have 72 hours to secure your sponsorship before it is offered to the next sponsor on the list.
When available you can secure one of these packages for just $325.00 USD for the next 3 months, or save $100.00 USD and join us for the year. All Sponsorship Packages are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Please help us to support the ongoing distribution of this publication. Consider showing your support for the world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology while enjoying these incredible benefits. Learn more today at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
Top Tech Tidbits Supporters:
We couldn't do it without you! Thank for your support!
Tidbits Supporters donate an amount of their choosing on an annual basis in order to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication.
If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support.
In tandem with Our Sponsors, these are the people that make the ongoing distribution of Tidbits possible:
1.) Gary Lee
2.) Anonymous Donation
3.) Pshon Barrett
1.) Howard Goldstein
2.) David Goldstein
3.) Katherine Crohan
1.) Your name here. Help support Tidbits today.
1.) Steven Wettlaufer
Top Tech Tidbits Subscription Information:
ABOUT:Founded in 2004, Top Tech Tidbits is a leading not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 7,000 assistive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week. Sign up here. Review the archive here. Adaptive Technology refers to items that are specifically designed for people with disabilities. Adaptive Technology is a subset of Assistive Technology. Adaptive Technology often refers specifically to electronic and information technology access. Top Tech Tidbits is a Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication. Publisher: Aaron Di Blasi. Contributing Editors: John Hanlin, Jenna Lang, Stephen (Alex) Marositz, and Ben Moxey. Top Tech Tidbits is a sponsor and reader supported publication.
RELEASE SCHEDULE:Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday is sent out every Thursday morning at 4:00 AM EST / EDT.
SUBSCRIBE:Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter on the Top Tech Tidbits Website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com or by (SMS) texting "TOPTECHTIDBITS" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter. It's that easy.
SPONSOR:If you would like to become 1 of only 12 Tidbits Sponsors whose annual support makes the distribution of Top Tech Tidbits possible, we offer you the following benefits, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
SUPPORT:If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/donate.html.
WEBSITE:Visit the Top Tech Tidbits website online at https://www.toptechtidbits.com.
FACEBOOK:Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Facebook News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/facebook.
TWITTER:Are you on Twitter? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Twitter News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/twitter.
LINKEDIN:Are you on LinkedIn? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your LinkedIn News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/linkedin.
YOUTUBE:Are you on YouTube? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your YouTube Video Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/youtube.
RSS:Do you prefer RSS? Follow Top Tech Tidbits via RSS today to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology using your choice of news aggregator: https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits.
QUESTIONS:Tidbits are intentionally concise. As a result we know that some readers may not always understand all of the items listed because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVEVisit the Top Tech Tidbits Archive at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/archive.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT CONTRIBUTORS:Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be submitted online via our Top Tech Tidbit Submission Form at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/submit-tidbit or directed to our Editors at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Home: Top Tech Tidbits||News: Top Tech Tidbits||Subscribe: Top Tech Tidbits||Donate: Top Tech Tidbits||Search: Top Tech Tidbits||Facebook: Top Tech Tidbits||Twitter: Top Tech Tidbits||LinkedIn: Top Tech Tidbits||YouTube: Top Tech Tidbits||RSS: Top Tech Tidbits||Back to Top|
Information provided by: