Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, November 4, 2021 - Volume 831
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication
Top Tech Tidbits. The world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology.
This Week's Featured Advertisement: BlindMiceMegaMall.com! The Mall with the Blind In Mind! Don't Lose Your Tail - Save $$$!
BlindMiceMegaMall.com is designed for use with screen reading & ZoomText software. Every store is owned by visually impaired / blind folks. Interested in opening a store? For details call (866) 922-8877 ☎. Our Merchants | Blind Mice Mart. Adaptive Products. Great Cookware & more. | Blind BookStop. Braille & Digital books for you. Save 35% til Dec 7th. | On The Go. Be the best dog guide user you can be. | Talking Thermostats. VIP 3000 Talking Thermostats! Free Shipping. | Ultimate Tech Mods. Increase internal memory in your 2nd Gen Stream. | Your Photo! Custom Gifts. Turn your photo into a cherished keepsake! | DannyBoy Stands. Make scanning & imaging easy. | MiceILA. Adaptive products for the Low Vision & Blind. | E T S. Talking Toaster Oven and Talking Microwaves. | Journeys Eternal Essence. Brighten your Day. | Safety Tech. Personal Safety products. Alarms. Stun Guns & more. | Body Scentz. Name Brand Designer Colognes & Perfumes. Discount Prices! | Access Solutions. DecTalk & TripleTalk External Speech Synthesizers. | Have a MICE Day!
Dear Tidbits Subscriber,
1) Top 5 Most Clicked Tidbits From Last WeekA.) A Simple Change Makes This New Mastercard Easier To Use For Blind And Sight-Impaired People: (8.5% of all clicks.)
B.) Apple Releases iOS 15.1 and iPadOS 15.1; Bringing Many Fixes for VoiceOver and Braille Users | Applevis: (8.4% of all clicks.)
C.) With The "Artificial Retina", Blind People Can See Again Even Without Using Their Eyes: (6.9% of all clicks.)
D.) A Review of the Orbit Reader 40 by Scott Davert, Coordinator: Technology, Research and Innovation Center, Helen Keller National Center for DeafBlind Youths and Adults: (6.6% of all clicks.)
E.) You Can Now Add Your COVID Vaccine Card To iPhone's Apple Wallet: (6.0% of all clicks.)
2) How The Facebook Facial Recognition Shutdown Will Impact Automatic Alt Text (AAT) Which Creates Image Descriptions for the Blind and Visually ImpairedFacebook is shutting down their Facial Recognition system. People who've opted in will no longer be automatically recognized in photos and videos and they will delete more than a billion people's individual facial recognition templates:
3) The Secret Way to Easily Circumvent Most Internet Paywalls in a PinchThis Tidbit comes to us from our Publisher. It is important to note here that this practice is in no way illegal. It is however very obviously frowned upon by those that wish to make money from their online content. While we do not, in any way, wish to prevent creators from making money from their creations, we do above all wish to empower those that are blind and/or vision impaired to reach information that they might not otherwise be able to reach. And so, in this vein, we share this Tidbit. It is also important to note here that a simple clearing of your browser's Cookies will often allow you to reset the number of free articles that you can read on a site before you are required to subscribe. Here's to access:
4) 6th Annual Let's Go Shopping Retail Therapy Extravaganza | Friday, November 5th and Saturday, November 6th 2021The 6th Annual Let's Go Shopping Retail Therapy Extravaganza is set for Friday, November 5th and Saturday, November 6th 2021. This will be the 6th LGS event, and it promises to be the most fun and exciting yet! Get early access to the vendor list, event schedule, special sales, promotions, door prizes, news and updates. Spread the word using the tag #LetsGoShopping when tweeting about the event. Then, shop til you drop while enjoying some good retail therapy! Simply join our announce-only email list. Just send a blank email to:
5) What Do The Accessibility Symbols In Apple TV And TV Apps Mean?This article explains the three different accessibility symbols in Apple's media content, captions, subtitles, and audio description:
6) New Chromebook Accessibility Feature Aims To Help People With DyslexiaBetter text-to-speech (TTS) voices are coming to Chromebooks. While for "Select-to-speak" was designed for users with learning disabilities like dyslexia, all users can benefit:
7) Razer's Latest Productivity Keyboard And Mouse Have 'Silent' Mechanical SwitchesThis author is in love with mechanical keyboards but cannot use them in this remote work environment with all its Zoom and Teams calls and in audio recording situations because of the noise they make. This keyboard tries to solve this problem:
8) How to Start Voice Typing on Windows 11 | Makeuseof.comDictation has never worked better in Windows. You can even choose to have punctuation added automatically. Discover how to turn on and use this enhancement:
9) Quadriplegic Apple User Rates iOS 15 and WatchOS 8 | 9to5MacThis article provides some effective ways to interact with an iPhone and Apple Watch if you cannot use the touch screen or controls:
10) Android Users Need to Uninstall These 151 Apps Immediately | PCMag.com150 Apps have been removed from the Google Play Store due to malware. PC Mag recommends you check your Android phone ASAP and remove any Apps from this list:
11) Android 12 Update: Full List, Update for Xiaomi, Realme, OnePlus, Samsung, Oppo, Vivo | Trak.in - Indian Business of Tech, Mobile & StartupsAll of these smartphones are set to receive Android 12. Is yours on the list?
12) Amazon Fire TV - Accessibility FeaturesThe Amazon Fire TV can turn your television into an affordable and accessible streaming solution. This official site offers an overview of the accessibility features that can be activated right from the remote control:
13) Change This One Setting On Your New MacBook Immediately | CNet.comThis setting may make the trackpad easier and more intuitive to use:
14) MacOS Monterey: Is Your Computer Compatible With Apple's New OS? Find Out Now | CNet.comNot sure if your Mac can run the latest MacOS Monterey? CNET provide a full list of compatible computers:
15) How to Turn on and Use Live Captions on Android | Makeuseof.comLive captions are just a tap away on Android 11 and 12. Learn how to enable on-device captions for your next video, podcast and more:
16) AppleVis Unlimited: What's New and Noteworthy for October 2021https://www.applevis.com/newsletter/applevis-unlimited-whats-new-and-noteworthy-october-2021
17) 7 Ways to Customize iOS 15's Focus Mode for Work and Play | WiredThis new feature can help with more than just being productive. Use it to enjoy the moment in all kinds of activities:
18) 7 Best Free OCR Software Apps to Convert Images Into TextWant OCR software for free? This article collects the seven best programs that turn images into text:
19) NVDA 2021.3 Beta1 Available for TestingBeta1 of NVDA 2021.3 is now available for download and testing. For anyone who is interested in trying out what the next version of NVDA has to offer before it is officially released, you are welcome to download the beta and provide feedback:
20) SenseAbility! Using the BrailleSense 6 | An 8 Lesson Course for $112.00 USD from Hartgen Consultancy Commencing December 8th 2021The training course will be held over at least eight sessions starting in December 2021. Within each session, you will be able to ask questions relating to the topic being worked through. Broadly speaking, topics will include:
➜ Press Releases and Other News
1) Creating Opportunities For People With Disabilities In STEM CareersThis article from the Forbes Business Council proposes some new ideas and strategies for including employees with disabilities in STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math):
2) GPS App Guides Visually Impaired Navigate Trails Of City ParkThe BlindSquare app assists users in navigating parks and trails. It's part of a pilot project by Alberta Parks with CNIB Frontier Accessibility and Trans Canada Trail to make hiking more accessible to people of all abilities:
3) Voters With Disabilities Gain Political Clout As Ballots Become More Accessible, Study FindsIn this article, The researchers, who analyzed data from the federal government's Current Population Survey Voting and Registration Supplement for November 2020, found that 62% of people with disabilities voted in 2020, up from 56% in 2016 in the United States:
4) Mastercard Introduces Accessible Card For People With Sight LossHere is a new standard for identifying different types of cards, credit, debit, and prepaid:
5) Flying Blind: Taking Flight Simulation To A New Level In AccessibilitySoftware developers [Andy Borka] and [Jason Fayre] have a love for aviation. They are also both totally blind. They've developed software called Talking Flight Monitor, and it has made flight simulation possible for anyone with impaired vision or blindness. What draws them to aviation and flight simulators:
6) Travel Hands To Launch Uber-style App For Blind People To Get Guided Assistance From PublicThis November, London-based startup Travel Hands intends to launch an Uber-style app to help individuals with sight loss living in or visiting urban environments receive guided assistance from volunteers:
7) Legal Update: Accessibility Overlay EditionThis page is an article about web accessibility overlays and the law. An overlay is a type of software that can be installed on a website. Companies selling overlays say they will protect a company from being sued. But lawsuits still happen when companies use overlays. Six hundred people have signed a statement about the problems with overlays. This article talks about 4 legal developments about overlays:
8) How to Hear Images and See SoundsArtists Shannon Finnegan and Andy Slater talk accessibility, transdimensional hearing, alt-text as poetry, sound descriptions, and Instagram captions for McSweeney's Audio Issue:
9) Blind People Won the Right to Break Ebook DRM. In 3 Years, They'll Have to Do It AgainAdvocates will once again be granted a DMCA exception to make accessible versions of texts. They argue that it's far past time to make it permanent:
10) The Internet Archive Transforms Access to Books in a Digital WorldIn honor of Open Access Week, and particularly this year's theme of structural equity, we wanted to highlight a project from the Internet Archive that is doing extraordinary work promoting access to knowledge. The bad news: that project is also under legal threat. The good news: the Archive is fighting back:
11) For A Legally Blind Player, Far Cry 6's Accessibility Options Are EmpoweringDespite stagnant open-world tropes, Far Cry continues to improve its accessibility options:
12) Love is Blind Season 2 is Not Coming to Netflix in November 2021Love is Blind season 2 has been high in demand by millions of Netflix users ever since the show aired its first season in 2020. Waiting for the second season certainly wasn't made any easier when the popular dating series dropped a follow-up special earlier this year titled Love is Blind: After the Altar, which showcased the lives of these couples two years after the unprecedented success of the show:
➜ Featured Podcast Episodes
1) Access Tech Watch-360 Podcast | Google Lookout versus Microsoft Seeing AI, plus the first Audio Described Dancehall / Hip-Hop Music VideoOctober 26th 2021 We give a comparison between Lookout on the Galaxy S21 Ultra/ Android and the Microsoft Seeing Ai, using a iPhone 10X (latest operating system), the pod looks at several products and goes over basic functions with both devices and applications; Additionally, we cover the first audio described modern Dancehall/Hip-Hop Video with Jamaica's Trophy Sniper and the Eloheem Team (Silent Killa):
2) Blind Android Users 47 | Count That MoneyOctober 30th 2021 | In this episode we talk about currency readers / recognisers. We demo the currency recognising features in Lookout and Supersense. We demo Cash Reader and an app launched by Reserve Bank of India, MANI. We unbox the Pixel 6 Pro and review it which can be found at: https://www.youtube.com/blindandroidusers. In the next episode of Commentary screen reader we see multi finger gestures and focus monitor. To listen to this and all previous episodes, please visit:
3) Mosen At Large 155October 31st 2021 Apple SharePlay, JAWS 2022, part 1 of our Chromebook review and more:
4) Eyes on Success 2145 Accessibility of Android Devices Past and PresentNovember 3rd 2021
The accessibility of Android devices has continued to improve over the years and is now a viable option for those who are visually impaired. Hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey talk with Austin Pinto, Warren Carr and Mariam Mohsen from the Blind Android Users team about how Android has evolved over time as well as about recently introduced accessibility features:
➜ Featured Webinars and Training Courses
1) 6th Annual Let's Go Shopping Retail Therapy ExtravaganzaNovember 5th 2021 and November 6th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | What follows is the complete schedule for the Let's Go Shopping event. Please note that all times below are Pacific time. Be sure to adjust for your time zone accordingly. FRIDAY: 9:00 AM PT to 5:00 PM PT | 09AM: Welcome and introduction | 09:15: EZ2See® Products LLC - Gifts to keep you organized | 10AM: Scentsy with Nini - Festive Fragrances for your Holiday Home | 11AM: A. T. Guys, Featuring the Blindshell Classic 2 and Other Cool Stuff | 11:30: The Unseen Bean - It's a coffee Christmas | 12N: Guidelight Dogs - Going To The Dogs (and more!) with KaeAnn, Debra and Thor at GuideLight Dog Products! | 01PM: Patti and Ricky - Adaptive fashion and accessories for men, women, and kids | 02PM: Stocking Stuffers: Gifts under $20! | 03PM: Elegant Insights - Ten years of braille jewelry and accessories! Celebrate with us! | 3:30: Elegant Insights - Sparkle On with The Sparkle Squad | 04PM: Wright Turn Only - Unique handcrafted gifts | 05PM: End of day. | SATURDAY: November 6 9:00 AM PT to 5:00 PM PT | 09AM: Guidelights and Gadgets - It Talks, It's Soft, and You Can Walk with It: Unique Holiday Gifts and More from GuideLights and Gadgets | 10AM: EZ2See® Products LLC - Give the gift of organization | 10:30: Angela's Awesome Jerky - A very tasty Christmas | 11AM: Scenic Made - Artisinal gourmet | 12N: Blind Girl Designs - Fun Holiday Wear by Blind Girl Designs. | 01PM: Elegant Insights - For the person who has everything | 1:30: Elegant Insights - Deck the halls with a tactile touch: Holiday ornaments! | 02PM: On The Go Dog Gear - Bandannas, bells, bling, and other gifts for the dog lover on your list | 03PM: Mama Otter's Tidbits - Handcrafted Gemstone and Seasonal Jewelry Gifts | 3:30PM A. T. Guys Tech and Gadgets for the Holidays | 04PM: Happy Hour Q and A - Pop a cork, crack open a cold one, find something fizzy, and get your questions answered! | 05PM End of day. | The 'Stocking Stuffers' segment is an opportunity for any of the vendors with well-priced, small items to present their products in a fast-paced format to help you find those little gifts perfect for stockings or secret Santa gift exchanges. The "Happy Hour" session at the end of Saturday is meant to provide a bit of extra time for any of the vendors to make themselves available for anyone who was unable to get their questions answered during the scheduled time slot. All-comers welcome! Be sure to use the hashtag #LetsGoShopping when tweeting or posting about the event. Ready for a little retail therapy? Let's go shopping! This will be the 6th LGS event, and it promises to be the most fun and exciting yet! Get early access to the vendor list, event schedule, special sales, promotions, door prizes, news and updates. Spread the word use the tag #LetsGoShopping when tweeting about the event. Then, shop til you drop while enjoying some good retail therapy! Simply join our announce-only email list. Just send a blank email to:
2) What's New With ZoomText? | Access Academy | APH ConnectCenterNovember 5th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | Get ready for ZoomText 2022! Join Ben Knolles for more information about the Quick Access toolbar, learn how to get the most out of the voice assistant, and review the features that make ZoomText a must-have:
3) Technology User Group (TUG) Annual Look at Assistive Technology Gadgets, Gizmos and ThingamajigsNovember 6th 2021 | 7AM PT, 8AM MT, 9AM CT, 10AM ET, 2PM GMT | On Saturday, November 6, the Technology User Group proudly presents our annual look at assistive technology gadgets, gizmos and thingamajigs. This showcase will help you select the perfect gift for the most important person in your life ... You! All items presented will cost $100 or less. You do not need to RSVP for this event. The presentation will begin at 10 AM and last about an hour. All Technology User Group meetings are virtual and may be joined by calling:
(319) 527-4994 ☎
4) ATHEN (Access Technology Higher Education Network) 2021 Annual MeetingNovember 9th 2021 | 11AM PT, 12PM MT, 1PM CT, 2PM ET, 6PM GMT | All are welcome to attend the ATHEN Annual Meeting. Real-Time Captioning will be provided. If you would like to request any additional disability-related accommodations, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ | Zoom meeting:
5) JAWS, Fusion, and ZoomText 2022 New Features | Access IngenuityNovember 10th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | Join Ian Ramos and Zhi Huang from Access Ingenuity to explore what's new in JAWS, Fusion, and ZoomText 2022! Learning Outcomes: Explain how to pin favorite commands when using ZoomText or Fusion. Demonstrate the modified ability to use both the ZoomText and JAWS assistance when using Fusion in 2022. Introduce the ability to split your screen reader speech and computer sound when using stereo headphones, great for Zoom meetings or other videoconferences. Explore additional features when available. Meeting ID: 825 7780 4526 | Passcode: 145893 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,82577804526#,,,,*145893# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose) | Join Zoom Meeting:
6) Meet the RUBY 10 Video Magnifier-A Versatile, Low Vision Solution for Everyday Living ActivitiesNovember 11th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | Our RUBY video magnifiers have become some of the most popular low vision products on the market today, and we're so excited to announce the newest addition: the RUBY 10! The RUBY 10 video magnifier features a large, 10-inch touchscreen display and three dedicated cameras to help you with your everyday tasks. Use the RUBY to magnify magazines, photos, letters, labels, and other fine print. A swing-out arm allows you to view items in your hand and write. Enable full-page OCR on the speech model when the arm is extended. With a touch of a button, you can scan pages and have them read aloud to you. The third camera is dedicated to seeing objects at a short distance, such as signs and menus on a wall. Join Mike Wood and Michelle Williams as they introduce the RUBY 10 and demonstrate its ease of use and unique viewing modes. For example: ColorSight +TM is a feature that addresses color blindness by shifting specific colors to assist color differentiation in real-time. Glare GuardTM attempts to maximize comfort during long-term use by minimizing pain from light sensitivity. This feature reduces the wavelengths of light associated with such pain. EdgeScribeTM edge enhancement modes attempt to improve object recognition by removing visual clutter. AptiviewTM adjusts the contrast in different parts of the image, which could improve the viewing experience in more lighting conditions than previously possible:
7) Room to Grow: Progressing a Student Through MATT Connect's Interfaces | APHNovember 12th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | Ready. Set. Grow! The MATT Connect has the capacity to evolve with your student through Basic, Standard and Advanced Interfaces. In this webinar, we'll compare the user interfaces and provide resources on when to advance a student through each interface:
8) Accessing Higher Ground Accessible Media, Web and Technology Conference by Association on Higher Education And Disability (AHEAD)November 15th 2021 Through November 19th 2021 | Presented and hosted by AHEAD, Accessing Higher Ground is conducted in collaboration with ATHEN:
9) Using Windows 11 with a Screen Reader by MicrosoftNovember 17th 2021 | 12PM PT, 1PM MT, 2PM CT, 3PM ET, 7PM GMT | Jeff Bishop, Program Manager, Windows Engineering. Anne Taylor, Program Manager, Accessibility Team. Brett Humphrey, Program Manager, Teams Engineering. We are excited to share how we are empowering screen reader users to achieve more with what's coming in Windows 11. This webinar will focus on a broad overview of accessibility experiences in Windows 11. This includes new Start Menu interactions, a new Windows Settings experience, an all-new chat experience with your friends and family and more. New Windows hotkeys will also be introduced for things like Quick Settings, Notifications and others. Many of these features will be demoed using Narrator and third-party screen readers to give you a feel for the all new Windows 11 after you upgrade:
10) New Braille Productivity Features While Working With Windows, JAWS, and the Focus Braille Displays | Access IngenuityNovember 17th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 5PM GMT | Join Ian Ramos and Zhi Huang from Access Ingenuity as they explain the advantages of the new firmware upgrade for the Focus 5th generation braille displays, and introduce the new ElEdit application to allow you to increase your productivity with braille and print files on Windows. Learning Outcomes: Explain the new features of the firmware upgrade for the Focus 5th generation braille displays including turning on and off word wrap, turning off the feature requiring a pin to connect to Bluetooth devices, one-handed mode, Etc. Demonstrate how to get the upgrade and how to perform the firmware upgrade itself. Introduce the new ElEdit app for Windows and JAWS allowing the user to finally read BRF files both in braille and speech while using Windows! Explore additional features of the ElEdit app including the ability to quickly translate from braille to print, print to braille, print the document, emboss a document, send a document to Microsoft Word, and more! | Meeting ID: 863 6137 8742 | Passcode: 881387 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,86361378742#,,,,*881387# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose) | Join Zoom Meeting:
11) Carroll Center For The Blind: 2021 Free Virtual Technology FairNovember 23rd 2021 | The Carroll Center for the Blind's Virtual Technology Fair is back! Supercharge your independence from the comfort of your living room, office or anywhere you can log on. Attend exciting and informative presentations, visit with assistive technology exhibitors in breakout rooms, and find the products and services you need to live as independently as possible. Don't miss this opportunity to explore the latest products for individuals who are visually impaired. Free and open to consumers, families, friends, and professionals — the Carroll Center for the Blind's Virtual Technology Fair is sure to impress! Have you registered yet? Register for the Virtual Technology Fair today:
12) 2nd Annual Sight Tech Global 2021December 1st & 2nd 2021 | 100% free. 100% virtual. Sight Tech Global is the first global, virtual conference dedicated to fostering discussion among technology pioneers on how rapid advances in AI and related technologies will fundamentally alter the landscape of assistive technology and accessibility. Registration is now open:
13) SenseAbility! Using the BrailleSense 6 | An 8 Lesson Course for $112.00 USD from Hartgen ConsultancyDecember 8th 2021 | 11AM PT, 12PM MT, 1PM CT, 2PM ET, 6PM GMT | The training course will be held over at least eight sessions starting in December 2021. Within each session, you will be able to ask questions relating to the topic being worked through. Broadly speaking, topics will include:
14) Structuring Accessible Forms | TPGiDecember 14th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, XXX GMT | Creating accessible forms is the science of constructing form fields that provide the correct name, role, and state through the data entry experience. In this webinar, we examine how to: Create and label form fields of different types. Group related form fields, like radio buttons. Mark form fields as required. Handle input errors. Verify data integrity. Through code examples and testing with a screen reader, you'll learn how to create form fields that work for all your users. Register today:
15) ATHEN (Access Technology Higher Education Network) 1st Annual "Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM) Accessibility: Starting with Math"February 10th 2022 and February 11th 2022 | This virtual conference will take place on February 10th and 11th 2022. We are striving to create a diverse conference where experts can share their best practices, solutions, techniques, etc. for accessing and creating accessible STEM content in higher education. Join us! | Call for Proposal (Google Form) (Open now!) | Brush up by taking a sneak peek into the complexities in creating accessible STEM content in the YouTube video "Factors Involved in Making STEM Content Accessible" (10-minutes). | Conference Details, Dates, Registration, Cost:.
16) Axe-Con 2022March 15th 2022 through March 17th 2022 | Axe-con is an open and inclusive digital accessibility conference that welcomes developers, designers, business users, and accessibility professionals of all experience levels to a new kind of accessibility conference focused on building, testing, and maintaining accessible digital experiences. Register for axe-con 2022, it's free! Join us for this three-day, multi-track conference to help further your digital accessibility efforts. Hear from the top experts in the field, for your area of interest with none of the noise. Learn more about why you should attend or get started by saving your seat by registering now:
1) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Listserv Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-listserv-directory.html
2) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Podcast Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-podcast-directory.html
3) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Game Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-game-directory.html
➜ Buy, Sell or Trade
1) FOR SALE: One Cyclone Braille Embosser for Text or GraphicsListing Date: 10/21/2021 | Price: $1,501.00 USD | Condition: Gently used. | Description: Lightweight, single-sided high quality embosser with speeds up to 60 characters per second. Includes Firebird Software Suite; Firebird Graphics Editor that allows you to produce Braille graphics in 12.5 and 17 DPI Flashdrive with manuals & setup guide. | Contact: Email email@example.com ✉ or (508) 854-1630 ☎. |
2) FOR SALE: One Dell G7 7500 LaptopListing Date: 10/21/2021 | Price: $855.00 USD | Condition: New. | Description: Lightning fast, current Windows 10 64 bit, Jaws 2021 installed with no authorization. NVDA upon request. 15.6 inch display, Intel Core i7 at 2.6 Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD & power adapter. Retails for $1200.00. | Contact: Email firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ or (508) 854-1630 ☎. |
3) FOR SALE: One Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Ad (Just like this one.)Price: $5.00 USD | Description: List your new, gently-used or refurbished item in FOUR (4) consecutive issues of Top Tech Tidbits for just $5.00 USD. | Buy an Ad: Fill out this short 10-step form ✔ to secure your Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Advertisement today. | Learn more at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/buy-sell-trade.html 🌐 |
Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor Classified Ads:
➜ APH ConnectCenter Resources: Webinars
On Wednesday, November 10th APHConnectCenter APH CareerConnect are hosting Inclusive Mentoring and Employment Policy Summit 2021 from 10:00 am - 1:30 pm Eastern and The Benefits of Working: Navigating SSI/SSDI While Seeking Employment from 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm Eastern. Visit https://aphconnectcenter.org/webinars/ for details and registration.
Sponsor Since: March 4th 2021
Website: https://aphconnectcenter.org/ 🌐
Email: email@example.com ✉
APH ConnectCenter Information and Referral Line:
Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM ET
About: The APH ConnectCenter offers curated advice and resources to assist children, parents, adults, and job seekers who are blind or visually impaired, and their associated professionals, leading to greater independence and success in their lives.
➜ BRAILLIANT Renewed! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series is here!
The wait is over! A redefined family of Brailliant refreshable Braille displays has arrived! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series will help you stay connected, download books from many participating online libraries and share information easily with your peers. You will enjoy the intuitive, seamless user experience of KeySoft Lite, the HumanWare flagship accessibility suite designed to make you more productive. Including the Brailliant BI 40X and the Brailliant BI 20X, this is the Brailliant idea you need!
Sponsor Since: February 4th 2021
Website: http://humanware.com/ 🌐
Phone (Asia): +61 2 9686 2600 ☎
YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRWVYiggn-w 🎥
About: HumanWare is the global leader in assistive technology for people who are blind or have low vision. HumanWare offers a wide range of innovative products, including the BrailleNote Touch, first Google certified braille tablet, the iOS compatible Brailliant braille displays, Victor Reader®, the world's leading family of digital audiobook players, the unique Prodigi® family of desktop and portable vision and reading systems, and the ultra-portable explore line of electronic handheld magnifier.
➜ Accessible Pharmacy Joins Be My Eyes
Accessible Pharmacy, the new, home delivery pharmacy with a blind founder, is bringing its full range of support and services to Be My Eyes. Users of the Be My Eyes app can now call Accessible Pharmacy directly to get support with medication, medical devices, and even home delivery COVID testing. With a fully trained and discreet pharmacy staff on call from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM Pacific, Accessible Pharmacy is the new way for blind and low vision consumers to get an easy, frictionless pharmacy experience. Call today — and you'll never have to take an Uber to the drugstore again.
Lead Contact: Will Butler, VP of Community
Sponsor Since: November 5th 2020
Website: https://www.bemyeyes.com/ 🌐
Download The App (iOS):
Download The App (Android):
About: Be My Eyes is a free mobile app that allows anyone who needs video support to get assistance from a dynamic range of volunteers and company customer support professionals from around the world. With more than 4 million volunteers and dozens of companies offering on-demand visual interpretation and support, Be My Eyes is a free, unlimited way to bridge gaps and get access to whatever information you need — 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in any language. Download the app today from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
➜ LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired Adaptations Online Store Featured Products
Revolution Cane Tip: Standard Roller Tip: $14.50 | Locator Dots: Small Pack of 6 (Clear or Orange): $2.00 | NFB Metal Cane Tip: $3.00 | TMAP - On Demand Tactile Street | Map (set of two maps): $25.00 | Ambutech Aluminum Folding Cane: $35.00 | NFB Chris Park Telescoping Cane: $45.00 | BoldWriter 20 Pen (Individual or 6-pack): $2.00 | Bump Dots: Mixed (50 count): $7.00 | Braille Apple Catalina VoiceOver Guide OSX 10.15 (3 volumes) - Latest Manual: $52.00 | SpeedDots iPhone Tactile Screen Protector, Phone Layout: $12.00 | NFB Chris Park 7-Piece Folding Cane: $50.00 | Visit https://adaptations.org/ to learn more today!
Sponsor Since: October 1, 2020
Website: https://adaptations.org/ 🌐
Toll Free: (888) 400-8933 ☎
Local: (415) 694-7301 ☎
About: Founded in 1902, San Francisco's LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired promotes the independence, equality and self-reliance of people who are blind or have low vision. Adaptations is your online go-to for tools, technology, and accessible solutions for blind and visually impaired people.
➜ Coding is Easy and Accessible with Colby the Code & Go Robot Mouse
Code & Go Mouse introduces coding concepts and tactile graphics as users program Colby to race through a maze toward the cheese. Colby lights-up, makes sounds, and features two speeds along with colorful buttons for easy programming and sequencing.
Sponsor Since: July 2nd 2020
Website: https://www.aph.org/ 🌐
Toll Free and Customer Support: (800) 223-1839 ☎
Phone: (512) 895-2405 ☎
Fax: (512) 899-2284 ░
YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/WENRlCNDsxQ 🎥
Free Apps & Actions from APH: https://www.aph.org/free-apps-from-aph/ 📱
About: Since 1858, the American Printing House for the Blind has operated in Louisville, Kentucky as the world's largest nonprofit organization, creating accessible learning experiences through educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are blind and visually impaired. APH believes that the future belongs to everyone. By offering innovative products and services, APH opens up a door of opportunities for lifelong independence and success.
➜ GuideLights And Gadgets
(1) Join Kae and my presentation at the Let's Go Shopping event this weekend. Our times are 3 PM Friday for Kae and 12 noon Saturday for Barry. Anyone purchasing through this event will receive 2 squeezy storage pouches or a dog choice as a thank you. For more info, send a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ (2) Our 3 product Talking Medical Bundle is $130 plus shipping through the holidays. Get two of the three products for $100 with shipping. (3) Aluminum telescopic non-collapsing canes are still $50.00. (4) Our new air induction headphones are loud enough for outdoors, extremely comfortable, and stay on your head; $55. For more info, call Barry at (617) 969-7500 ☎ or Kae at (781) 286-1696 ☎ or email us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org ✉.
Sponsor Since: June 25th 2020
Website: http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/ 🌐
About: Our Scope of Products: We specialize in 3 lines of products, all intended to assist in access to adaptive electronics, enhance experiences for guide dog teams, and offer practical solutions for organization and travel with a variety of leather bags, pouches, and backpacks. Then there are the random products that are included, just for fun! We enjoy working with our customers 1-on-1 to their money is well spent and not wasted on something they may not use. In thinking about our customers and whether we will carry a product our guiding motto is that it must be: practical, affordable, simple, tested, and accessible (the pasta principle) and it seems to work very well.
What We Do: We bring our business either via zoom, phone, or to your conference or convention, to give each customer a chance for questions and where possible, "hands on" evaluation of the merchandise. Kae and I test and use each product as blind users before we put it in our catalog. In the case of products for guide and service dogs, our own three guides, Thor, Debra and Melody, are engaged in the process of evaluating the usefulness, durability, and/or fun of the product. We want each of our products to be useful, accessible, afforable, and, whenever possible, fun! Our inventory is constantly changing, so a visit to us is never the same experience twice!
➜ Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub
If you're like me, you probably have more things to plug into your computer than available ports. That's why we've now added the Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub. Plug it into your laptop and you will get 3 USB ports, SD and Micro SD card slots, a USBC charging port, and an HDMI video port. It's available now for just $29.95:
Sponsor Since: June 11th 2020
Website: https://www.atguys.com/ 🌐
Phone: (269) 216-4798 ☎
Email: email@example.com ✉
Skype: atguys ✆
Twitter: https://twitter.com/atguys (@atguys) ✍
Facebook: https://facebook.com/atguys ✍
About: ATGuys.com. Your access technology experts, home for cool gadgets, accessories, and more. Our products are all tested to work great for blind and visually impaired users but also work just as well for anyone. If there's an item you're looking for, or if you have a question, please don't hesitate to send us a message or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
➜ Order Now! Get The Most Powerful Android Notetaker Available, the BrailleSense 6 From HIMS. It's Simply The Best.
The time is now to get your all-new BrailleSense 6 notetaker, the most powerful and user-friendly notetaker on the market. Running Android 10, with 128 GB of Storage, 6 GB of Memory, and an 8-Core CPU, the BrailleSense 6 is the ultimate braille notetaker. Learn more today at:
Sponsor Since: September 30th 2021
Website: https://hims-inc.com/ 🌐
Shop All Products: https://hims-inc.com/shop-all-products/ 🛒
Phone: (512) 837-2000 ☎
About: HIMS, Inc. is a global manufacturer and distributor that has provided braille, magnification and accessible healthcare devices since 1999.
➜ Modified Talking Black & Decker Toaster Oven Factory Directfrom E T S! Save $50 & Free U.S. Shipping
Order by 11/14/2021 for delivery before Christmas. The Modified Black and Decker counter top talking toaster oven Allows persons with low or no vision to warm, toast, bake and broil foods confidently & independently. Toast Up to 9-Slices of bread or Bake Two 12 inch Pizzas at once. Cook all your favorite foods. Clear and easy to understand High quality male voice. Simple To Operate! Buttons are embossed & easy to locate. Now $399.99 & Free US Mainland Shipping:
Sponsor Since: September 23rd 2021
Website: https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/ 🌐
Blind Mice Order Center Phone: (866) 922-8877 ☎
Blind Mice Order Center Hours: 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM CST/CDT (GMT-5) Monday through Friday
Mall Directory of Stores: https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory 🛒
Join The Today's Cheese Newsletter: Join the Today's Cheese newsletter to get Members' Only sales & Unadvertised Specials from the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. You can save money with these unadvertised specials! Send an email to: TodaysCheese+Subscribe@Groups.io ✉
Blind Mice Swap Shop: Sell, Swap, and Buy. The Mice receive calls everyday asking if we buy or sell used or unwanted items. The Mice don't sell used products but to help our members, we created the Blind Mice Swap Shop! The Blind Mice Swap Shop is the place for Sellers, Traders, & Buyers to find each other! Do you ... have something you don't want anymore... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Got something you just don't use... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Got something new to sell... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Provide a service that might be helpful to other Blind and Visually Impaired folks... Post it to the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Have an announcement about an upcoming event beneficial to the Blind & Visually Impaired Community... Post it to the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Joining the Blind Mice Swap Shop is free and as easy as sending an email to: BlindMiceSwapShop+Subscribe@Groups.io ✉
About: Welcome to Blind Mice Mega Mall! The Mall with the Blind In Mind! Blind Mice Mega Mall is designed for use with a screen reader and low vision software for visually impaired shoppers. Each store is an independent business owned / managed by a member of the Blind / Low Vision Community. Please browse & shop the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. You will find great items and unique offerings from our merchants. You help the Blind Community every time you make a purchase from any of the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. Every purchase made at Blind Mice Mega Mall gives back to the Blind and Visually Impaired Community. Proceeds from sales fund the MouseHole Scholarship Program, the Cooking In The Dark Show and The Movie Vault. Blind Mice Mega Mall accepts American Express, Discover, Mastercard, Visa, PayPal, Checks, and Money Orders. Purchase Orders From State Agencies are also welcome.
➜ Screen Reader User Tester Training Program at the Carroll Center for the Blind
Want to break into the digital accessibility field as a screen reader user tester? Through the Carroll Center for the Blind's all new 6-week intensive Screen Reader User Tester Training program, participants can learn and grow their ability to professionally explore, test, and report findings regarding the accessibility of websites, mobile applications, and digital document files using screen readers. To learn more about the User Tester program, visit:
Sponsor Since: August 5th 2021
Website: https://carroll.org/ 🌐
Phone: (617) 969-6200 ☎Fax: (617) 969-6204 ░
Shop: https://carroll.org/store/ 🛒
Donate: https://carroll.org/donate ❤
About: The Carroll Center for the Blind is the foremost leader in vision rehabilitation services for individuals confronted by the challenges of vision loss. Our mission is to empower those who are blind or visually impaired to achieve independence and to lead a fulfilling life. Established in 1936, the renowned Carroll Center for the Blind has been serving those with vision impairment for over eight decades; we are known nationally as a premier Vision Rehabilitation Center. Located just outside of Boston on a sprawling campus in Newton, Massachusetts, we proudly serve ALL ages and ALL stages of vision loss. With the ongoing promise of improving the lives of people with vision-related problems, The Carroll Center for the Blind has pioneered many innovative services allowing people who are blind or have low vision to learn the skills to be independent in their homes, in class settings, and in their work places. Our services include vision rehabilitation, vocational and transition programs, assistive technology training, educational support, and recreation opportunities for individuals who are visually impaired of all ages. For over 80 years, the expertise of Carroll Center staff has provided help for thousands of blind and visually impaired persons with diverse opportunities for success and independent living.
➜ The 50% Introductory Rate for Scribe for Meetings is Coming to a Close!
Sign up for your lifetime subscription at the discounted rate before October 15, and lock in your access to future features, including the recently unveiled functionality with Microsoft Teams. Robust accessibility at the price you want starts here:
Sponsor Since: June 3rd 2021
Website: https://pneumasolutions.com/ 🌐
Email Newsletter: Click here to receive periodic news via email concerning Pneuma Solutions products for business, consumers and education.
Sales: (866) 202-0520 ☎
Support: (650) 249-1000 ☎
About: Backed by two decades of creating award-winning accessible cloud technologies for people with visual impairments, Pneuma Solutions is the global leader in accessible cloud-based solutions. Pneuma Solutions was founded by long-time accessibility developers Mike Calvo and Matt Campbell. For more information on their individual profiles, click on their respective bio pages. We're proud to be the first company to develop cloud-based accessibility at the network level. Our tools provide organizations, like yours, a way to deliver secure, accessible information right from your network or from our secure servers. You can provide your print disabled consumers, students, employees, and citizens with a multitude of accessible options. Additionally, we offer a suite of cloud-based applications to blind and print disabled consumers directly from our website. Our consumer products are designed to make the day-to-day lives of blind and print disabled individuals more accessible and simpler to manage. Access to information is not a privilege, it's a right. It's also your right to obtain affordable, accessible cloud solutions to serve your end user. When organizations like yours implement our tools, together we help make it a more inclusive world for people with disabilities. Want to know more about how we can help you become more inclusive?
Contact us here. We'll be happy to discuss how our tools can help with your accessibility needs.
➜ Freedom Scientific Focus Blue 5th Generation Refreshable Braille Displays
Our world-class refreshable Braille displays deliver efficient Braille input and outstanding output for your PC or mobile device. The robust Bluetooth® connectivity provides seamless use with Windows®, Mac®, iPhones®, iPads®, and AndroidTM smartphones and tablets. Ergonomic navigation features allow quick, natural hand movements for greater productivity. When used with JAWS® screen reading software, they support our popular Braille Study Mode, an interactive tool for teaching and learning Braille. Learn more today:
Sponsor Since: April 15th 2021
Website: https://www.freedomscientific.com/ 🌐
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
Phone: (800) 444-4443 ☎
About: Freedom Scientific, a Vispero brand, is a leading worldwide brand of assistive technology products for those with vision impairments. We offer products designed to promote independence, allowing blind and low vision individuals the same access to information as their sighted peers. World-renowned JAWS (Job Access With Speech) screen reading software and ZoomText screen magnification software provide users the independence and ability to seek education and obtain or maintain a career after vision loss. Our expansive product line includes both low vision and blindness technology for all aspects of daily living. The wide range of RUBY, TOPAZ, and ONYX desktop and portable video magnifiers are designed for their ease of use and assist with daily activities. Our impressive line of blindness hardware products include refreshable Braille displays and scanning and reading devices, offering many options tailored to fit individual needs.
Top Tech Tidbits is a leading, not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 7,200 Adaptive Technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week.
Top Tech Tidbits offers a total of 12 Sponsorship Packages which are used to support the ongoing distribution of the publication.
There are 0 of 12 packages currently available.
If you would like to become a Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor, but there are no sponsorship packages currently available, we encourage you to join our waiting list by sending an email to: email@example.com ✉.
Once you have joined our waiting list we will notify you the next time a current sponsor decides not to renew. You will then have 72 hours to secure your sponsorship before it is offered to the next sponsor on the list.
When available you can secure one of these packages for just $325.00 USD for the next 3 months, or save $100.00 USD and join us for the year. All Sponsorship Packages are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Please help us to support the ongoing distribution of this publication. Consider showing your support for the world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology while enjoying these incredible benefits. Learn more today at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
Top Tech Tidbits Supporters:
We couldn't do it without you! Thank for your support!
Tidbits Supporters donate an amount of their choosing on an annual basis in order to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication.
If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support.
In tandem with Our Sponsors, these are the people that make the ongoing distribution of Tidbits possible:
1.) Gary Lee
2.) Anonymous Donation
3.) Pshon Barrett
1.) Howard Goldstein
2.) David Goldstein
3.) Katherine Crohan
1.) Your name here. Help support Tidbits today.
1.) Steven Wettlaufer
Top Tech Tidbits Subscription Information:
ABOUT:Founded in 2004, Top Tech Tidbits is a leading not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 7,000 assistive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week. Sign up here. Review the archive here. Adaptive Technology refers to items that are specifically designed for people with disabilities. Adaptive Technology is a subset of Assistive Technology. Adaptive Technology often refers specifically to electronic and information technology access. Top Tech Tidbits is a Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication. Publisher: Aaron Di Blasi. Contributing Editors: John Hanlin, Jenna Lang, Stephen (Alex) Marositz, and Ben Moxey. Top Tech Tidbits is a sponsor and reader supported publication.
RELEASE SCHEDULE:Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday is sent out every Thursday morning at 4:00 AM EST / EDT.
SUBSCRIBE:Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter on the Top Tech Tidbits Website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com or by (SMS) texting "TOPTECHTIDBITS" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter. It's that easy.
SPONSOR:If you would like to become 1 of only 12 Tidbits Sponsors whose annual support makes the distribution of Top Tech Tidbits possible, we offer you the following benefits, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
SUPPORT:If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/donate.html.
WEBSITE:Visit the Top Tech Tidbits website online at https://www.toptechtidbits.com.
FACEBOOK:Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Facebook News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/facebook.
TWITTER:Are you on Twitter? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Twitter News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/twitter.
LINKEDIN:Are you on LinkedIn? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your LinkedIn News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/linkedin.
YOUTUBE:Are you on YouTube? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your YouTube Video Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/youtube.
RSS:Do you prefer RSS? Follow Top Tech Tidbits via RSS today to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology using your choice of news aggregator: https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits.
QUESTIONS:Tidbits are intentionally concise. As a result we know that some readers may not always understand all of the items listed because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVEVisit the Top Tech Tidbits Archive at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/archive.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT CONTRIBUTORS:Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be submitted online via our Top Tech Tidbit Submission Form at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/submit-tidbit or directed to our Editors at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Home: Top Tech Tidbits||News: Top Tech Tidbits||Subscribe: Top Tech Tidbits||Donate: Top Tech Tidbits||Search: Top Tech Tidbits||Facebook: Top Tech Tidbits||Twitter: Top Tech Tidbits||LinkedIn: Top Tech Tidbits||YouTube: Top Tech Tidbits||RSS: Top Tech Tidbits||Back to Top|
Information provided by: