Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, November 11, 2021 - Volume 832
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication
Top Tech Tidbits. The world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology.
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Join Us At Sight Tech Global To Learn About The Next Generation Of Accessible Navigation And Object Recognition Assistant
On December 1-2 at Sight Tech Global (a free, virtual event on advanced technology and accessibility for the blind and visually impaired), HumanWare's Vice President of Product Innovation will discuss our next generation of accessible navigation and object recognition assistants. We are currently developing a robust and accessible navigation and computer vision device, allowing users to plan trips, navigate in various environments, identify, and find objects. With its ease of use, advanced technology, satellite positioning systems, and artificial intelligence, the device will help users live more independently and participate more actively in today's world. It will be HumanWare's most powerful navigation device since the launch of the original Trekker pioneer in 2003. In this panel, Dr. Massé will present the features of the product as well as our long-term vision and the technology behind this exciting upcoming product. Be sure to join us at Sight Tech Global for this very important session:
Dear Tidbits Subscriber,
1) Top 5 Most Clicked Tidbits From Last WeekA.) The Secret Way to Easily Circumvent Most Internet Paywalls in a Pinch: (9.2% of all clicks.)
B.) 7 Best Free OCR Software Apps to Convert Images Into Text: (8.3% of all clicks.)
C.) With The "Artificial Retina", Blind People Can See Again Even Without Using Their Eyes: (5.7% of all clicks.)
D.) How to Start Voice Typing on Windows 11 | Makeuseof.com: (5.2% of all clicks.)
E.) Amazon Fire TV - Accessibility Features: (4.8% of all clicks.)
2) Top Tech Tidbits Says Thank You And Farewell To Sponsor Be My Eyes | One Sponsorship Package Currently AvailablePlease join all of us here at Tidbits in wishing a fine farewell to Be My Eyes who has so very graciously supported the distribution of Top Tech Tidbits for the last year. If you look forward to Tidbits every week, it is sponsors like Be My Eyes that make it possible. If you would like to join us in supporting Tidbits while enjoying some really incredible marketing benefits, please reach out to our publisher today at: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉. Or learn more at:
3) Top Tech Tidbits Approaches 7,000 Active Subscribers WorldwideThe Top Tech Tidbits subscriber list has always been a positive growth list. Meaning that the list has always experienced growth, week over week, since its inception in 2004. But something changed in June of 2020 as we transitioned the publication to a sponsorship model and began to make small changes to the format of the publication. Changes to the heading scheme to make jumping between Tidbits effortless. Breaking information out into sections in order to better focus the different types of information that Tidbits readers were searching for. And expanding the breadth of AT resources that Top Tech Tidbits covers. All of these changes together have seen the Top Tech Tidbits subscriber list grow faster than we have ever seen it grow before. Since the transition, on average, approximately 15-25 new subscribers have joined the list each week, and approximately 4-6 susbcribers have left the list each week. This positive gain, week over week, has the Top Tech Tidbits subscriber list currently sitting at 6,839 active subscribers. Should these gains continue we forecast that Top Tech Tidbits will reach 7,000 active subscribers worldwide within the next 3 months. We could not be more pleased that these changes have resulted in so many more people reading the publication each week. We will continue to listen to your feedback and use it to shape Tidbits well into the future. If you're interested to know from where in the world people are reading Tidbits you can now review Subscriber Location Data on the Top Tech Tidbits website at:
4) 3 Inspiring Audiobooks for People with Disabilities by Anna Cristina Carter, Guest Contributor, Top Tech TidbitsThis article was written exclusively for Top Tech Tidbits courtesy of Author Anna Cristina Carter. Please join us in sharing it far and wide. Technology has done wonders for accessibility. Thanks to the internet, people with disabilities can easily find platforms that suit their needs and interests. But the low-vision community isn't the only group that can benefit from audio-focused mediums, and the podcast isn't the only audio-focused medium out there. People who want their entertainment structured can listen to audiobooks, which are professionally recorded readings of existing texts, such as novels and non-fiction books. Below, we've listed 3 different audiobooks written for, by, or about people with disabilities:
5) Blind in the Metaverse — Making Web3.0 Accessible from the Beginning | Tidbit SubmissionThe argument that not everyone has to enter the metaverse or have a digital life still remains true but creating a digital world or universe that does not make it enjoyable for an entire community to enter is not right. The metaverse should be so accessible that a blind person has the right to refuse to enter because of personal choice not because of usability issues:
6) Introducing the NRTC Podcast | Employment InsightsThe National Research and Training Center on Blindness and Low Vision has launched a podcast series for individuals with blindness or who have low vision. The podcast series project, Employment Insights, is meant to contribute to the NRTC's mission to enhance employment outcomes for people with B/LV. Each episode focuses on encouraging, inspiring, and informing people about the skills they need for employment. On each episode, they invite a guest who is blind or has low vision to join them to talk about their achievements, challenges, and insights through their employment journey. Topics include lessons learned from failures on the job, job search tips, and success stories of how individuals have maintained and advanced in employment:
7) Chromebook Select-To-Speak Upgrade Adds More Human-Sounding VoicesThis feature is part of Chrome OS's built-in screen reader but with the added bonus of speaking out only the text that's currently selected. With this month's update, the voice that speaks out those words will sound more natural, complete with the various accents found in 25 currently supported languages. Google claims that it makes it easier to follow along and comprehend text, even for those with dyslexia:
8) The Complete Guide to Windows 11: New Features, Requirements, and Release DateMicrosoft recently announced the release of a much-anticipated update to their flagship operating system in the form of Windows 11. Six years after the release of Windows 10, the new update provides a visual update and adds a host of multitasking, gaming, and security features:
9) Writing Effective Image Descriptions or "Alt Text" by American Foundation for the BlindSo, you found the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines from the W3C and you're committed to making your website as accessible and user-friendly as possible. Fantastic! Let's talk about one of the most elementary aspects of a site that contributes to accessibility for users of assistive technology:
10) Apple and Amazon ML/AI Leads to Speak on Accessibility at Sight Tech Global 2021Sensors and data are proliferating. Whether it's from a phone, a car or smart home devices, astonishing amounts of data fuel the work of researchers and product developers conceiving new products and experiences. Among those who stand to benefit, even more than they already do, are people who are blind or visually disabled:
11) New Technique Could Enhance Films for Visually ImpairedResearchers at the University of York have developed a new way for visually impaired audiences to experience and enjoy films. Traditional Audio Description (AD) consists of an audio track in the third person that provides information on the visual layer of a film or television programme. The current use of traditional AD can sometimes overlap with other sound elements in the soundtrack, such as music and sound effects. Under the new format, verbal descriptions are minimised and sound design is used as the main vehicle for accessibility, through a combination of additional sound effects, 3D sound, and first-person narration:
12) NVDA 2021.3 Beta2 Available for TestingBeta2 of NVDA 2021.3 is now available for download and testing:
13) Open-Source Cane Borrows Autonomous Vehicle Tech for Visually-Impaired and Costs $400 to BuildA standard white cane remains an essential aid for getting out for a number of visually impaired people, but to date, it also has not really offered a lot of affordable modern updates, which is something that a number of researchers want to change. It was noted that a certain cane borrows autonomous vehicle tech for certain visually-impaired individuals but costs $400:
14) 40 Cells To Empowerment: A Comparison Of Five Braille Displays To Fortify Your Success | By Scott Davert, Coordinator: Technology, Research and Innovation Center, Helen Keller National Center for Deafblind Youths and AdultsThere are several 40 cell braille devices on the market providing different feature sets at varying price points. At the time of this writing, these displays range in price from $1,399 to $3,195. As the monetary investment is seldom trivial even on the lowest end, it is important to find the ideal device to fit a person's specific circumstances. To help decide which is best for your specific needs, this article will provide the following information for each device:
15) Mantis and Chameleon Software UpdatesSome major features that are coming to both displays include a global clipboard, bookmarks in the Editor, and a blinking cursor. Bluetooth fixes and enhancements, quicker Library navigation, improved Braille Profile configuration, improvements to auto scroll, and new benefits to the Online Libraries are among the other changes:
16) Upcoming Feature Spotlight: HID Braille SpecificationNVDA's In Process is out. It highlights the HID Braille Specification coming to NVDA. This should make plugging in a supported braille display and getting basic functionality possible for NVDA users:
17) Microsoft Announces Windows 11 SE, A New Chrome OS CompetitorThis version of Windows is specific for the primary education market. No word yet on whether it will support 3rd-party assistive technologies:
18) Google Is Taking Sign-Ups For Relate, A Voice Assistant That Recognizes Impaired SpeechGoogle launched a beta app today that people with speech impairments can use as a voice assistant while contributing to a multiyear research effort to improve Google's speech recognition. The goal is to make Google Assistant, as well as other features that use speech to text and speech to speech, more inclusive of users with neurological conditions that affect their speech:
19) Ask A Trainer: Getting Started With Accessibility For E-Learning | (Td.Org)Designing accessible online courses can be challenging. An experienced eLearning developer offers simple steps to get you started:
20) Apple MacOS 12 Monterey Review: The Best Is Yet To Come | The VergeMacOS Monterey has been out for a couple of weeks and the reviews are rolling in. The well-known team at the Verge talk about their experience so far:
21) 11 Essential Windows 11 Shortcuts You Need To Know | Tom's Guide (TomsGuide.com)Speed up your Windows 11 experience and become a true keyboard ninja with these must-know shortcuts:
➜ Press Releases and Other News
1) Why Automated Tools Alone Can't Make Your Website Accessible and Legally CompliantThis article reminds us that automated AI based solutions are not yet sufficient for ensure accessibility in the digital space:
2) How Companies Can Make Their Remote Working Inclusive For The Deaf And BlindThis article gives some tech tips for employers to make the workplace more inclusive for employees with sensory impairments:
3) In Living Color Audio Description Looks Past People of ColorThis article argues for more inclusive audio descriptions in movies and television:
4) Introducing Updates To Make It Easier For Guests With Disabilities To TravelAirbnb is now manually vetting accessibility features and, at the same time, making it easier to find accessible lodgings:
5) With Disability-Friendly Packaging, Olay Aims for Greater AccessibilityOlay North America said that it is rolling out a new easy-open lid featuring a winged cap that's simpler to grip. The package also includes a high-contrast label and Braille text:
6) Yahoo Sports' Documentary Short Features All Blind Fantasy LeagueYahoo Sports is proud to announce the debut of a short documentary produced by Yahoo about its All Blind Fantasy League (ABFL) — a group of sports fanatics who use assistive technology like screen readers with the Yahoo Fantasy app to connect with their passion for fantasy in a fully accessible way:
7) Teaching Visually Impaired Students - And Making Class Materials More Accessible For Everyone At The Same TimeHannah Thompson, a partially blind academic, offers six tips for ensuring an inclusive learning environment. If you're a screen reader user, please note that you may get a pop-up asking if you would like to register that is difficult to dismiss. This will depend on your browser's settings. The developers have been notified of the issue. In the meantime, you can avoid the registration prompt if necessary by opening the link below in a private / incognito window:
8) We're Reimagining Low Vision Technology | APHAPH has a long-term strategy for developing low vision devices that adapt to each user's needs — not the other way around:
9) The 9 Smart Devices You Should Have In Your RoomThe smart home is a reality today, specially oriented to the living room and kitchen with multiple devices that can help us to make these two rooms work in a much more functional way:
10) The World's First Needle-Free Diabetes TestAustralian researchers have developed a needle-free diabetes test that measures glucose levels from saliva — not blood. It could be ready for consumers as soon as 2023:
11) Visual Art For The Visually Impaired: Philly Museum Tests Out New Ways To Experience PaintingsTactile graphics are reproductions of paintings made on heavy cardstock embossed with different textures, representing various elements of the image composition. Those textures are meant to help visitors "see" the paintings through their fingertips:
12) Forza Horizon 5 Also Promoted For Accessibility, Playable Even By The BlindForza Horizon 5 is not only excellent from a technical and gameplay point of view, but also from an accessibility point of view, so much so that it received a very positive opinion from Steve Saylor, a blind player who specifically deals with accessibility problems in video games. The opinion of Saylor is quite clear: "Forza Horizon 5 is the first racing game where I was able to fulfill the dream of driving at 200mph, as I never could in reality. It's the most accessible chapter of the Forza Horizon franchise and XBox games in general." Saylor also posted a full review to explain the level of accessibility of Forza Horizon 5:
13) Olay Developed an Easy-Open Moisturizer Lid for People With Limited MobilityAfter receiving customer complaints about how difficult the Regenerist Moisturizer lids are to open, the brand is introducing a more accessible alternative:
14) Amazon Brings Alexa to Senior Living Communities and Healthcare Systems with Alexa Smart PropertiesSenior Living and Healthcare providers can now easily deploy Alexa experiences designed to keep residents and patients connected, informed, and entertained — and improve care team productivity:
15) Eyedaptic Launches EYE4, An All-New Version Of Its Augmented Reality (AR) Glasses To Address The Increasing Incidence Of Vision Loss In The USHands-free visual aid with integrated hand-held magnifier capability uses the power of Augmented Reality and cellular phone technology to address the growing unmet need within the low vision community:
➜ Featured Podcast Episodes
1) Mosen At Large 156November 6th 2021 Part 2 of our Chromebook tutorial, Amazon removes some email functionality from Alexa, a radio app for your Apple Watch and more:
2) Blind Android Users 48 | It's Shopping TimeNovember 6th 2021 | Checkout Part 1 of Pixel 6 Pro Review at: https://tinyurl.com/nwuhcpr8. Ccheck out Part 2 at: https://tinyurl.com/4wwrpzjc. As holiday season is approaching, we decided to talk all about shopping apps. We demoed Amazon and eBay apps. We answered the most asked question in the community, does Android have a good RSS reader? In Talkback highlights we show you how to find links or phone numbers in messages and activate them. To listen to the podcast, please visit:
3) Eyes on Success 2146 Running with Google Project GuidelineNovember 10th 2021
Google's "Project Guideline" is an early stage research project aimed at enabling those with vision loss to run independently. Hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey talk with Bill Ma, director of IT and operations and Jessy DiNapoli, manager of admissions at Guiding Eyes for the Blind about how their blind CEO, Thomas Panek, has used the app to run on his own:
➜ Featured Webinars and Training Courses
1) Meet the RUBY 10 Video Magnifier-A Versatile, Low Vision Solution for Everyday Living Activities | Freedom ScientificNovember 11th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 5PM GMT | Our RUBY video magnifiers have become some of the most popular low vision products on the market today, and we're so excited to announce the newest addition: the RUBY 10! The RUBY 10 video magnifier features a large, 10-inch touchscreen display and three dedicated cameras to help you with your everyday tasks. Use the RUBY to magnify magazines, photos, letters, labels, and other fine print. A swing-out arm allows you to view items in your hand and write. Enable full-page OCR on the speech model when the arm is extended. With a touch of a button, you can scan pages and have them read aloud to you. The third camera is dedicated to seeing objects at a short distance, such as signs and menus on a wall. Join Mike Wood and Michelle Williams as they introduce the RUBY 10 and demonstrate its ease of use and unique viewing modes. For example: ColorSight +TM is a feature that addresses color blindness by shifting specific colors to assist color differentiation in real-time. Glare GuardTM attempts to maximize comfort during long-term use by minimizing pain from light sensitivity. This feature reduces the wavelengths of light associated with such pain. EdgeScribeTM edge enhancement modes attempt to improve object recognition by removing visual clutter. AptiviewTM adjusts the contrast in different parts of the image, which could improve the viewing experience in more lighting conditions than previously possible:
2) Room to Grow: Progressing a Student Through MATT Connect's Interfaces | APHNovember 12th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 5PM GMT | Ready. Set. Grow! The MATT Connect has the capacity to evolve with your student through Basic, Standard and Advanced Interfaces. In this webinar, we'll compare the user interfaces and provide resources on when to advance a student through each interface:
3) Accessing Higher Ground Accessible Media, Web and Technology Conference by Association on Higher Education And Disability (AHEAD)November 15th 2021 Through November 19th 2021 | Presented and hosted by AHEAD, Accessing Higher Ground is conducted in collaboration with ATHEN:
4) Using Windows 11 with a Screen Reader by MicrosoftNovember 17th 2021 | 12PM PT, 1PM MT, 2PM CT, 3PM ET, 8PM GMT | Jeff Bishop, Program Manager, Windows Engineering. Anne Taylor, Program Manager, Accessibility Team. Brett Humphrey, Program Manager, Teams Engineering. We are excited to share how we are empowering screen reader users to achieve more with what's coming in Windows 11. This webinar will focus on a broad overview of accessibility experiences in Windows 11. This includes new Start Menu interactions, a new Windows Settings experience, an all-new chat experience with your friends and family and more. New Windows hotkeys will also be introduced for things like Quick Settings, Notifications and others. Many of these features will be demoed using Narrator and third-party screen readers to give you a feel for the all new Windows 11 after you upgrade:
5) New Braille Productivity Features While Working With Windows, JAWS, and the Focus Braille Displays | Access IngenuityNovember 17th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 6PM GMT | Join Ian Ramos and Zhi Huang from Access Ingenuity as they explain the advantages of the new firmware upgrade for the Focus 5th generation braille displays, and introduce the new ElEdit application to allow you to increase your productivity with braille and print files on Windows. Learning Outcomes: Explain the new features of the firmware upgrade for the Focus 5th generation braille displays including turning on and off word wrap, turning off the feature requiring a pin to connect to Bluetooth devices, one-handed mode, Etc. Demonstrate how to get the upgrade and how to perform the firmware upgrade itself. Introduce the new ElEdit app for Windows and JAWS allowing the user to finally read BRF files both in braille and speech while using Windows! Explore additional features of the ElEdit app including the ability to quickly translate from braille to print, print to braille, print the document, emboss a document, send a document to Microsoft Word, and more! | Meeting ID: 863 6137 8742 | Passcode: 881387 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,86361378742#,,,,*881387# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose) | Join Zoom Meeting:
6) Fusion Suite 2022 with Eric Damery and Ben Knolles | Freedom ScientificNovember 18th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 5PM GMT | Want to learn about all the new features and enhancements in Fusion Suite 2022? Join us Thursday, November 18th 2021 at 12:00 PM Eastern time for a live webinar, "Fusion Suite 2022 with Eric Damery and Ben Knolles":
7) Carroll Center For The Blind: 2021 Free Virtual Technology FairNovember 23rd 2021 | The Carroll Center for the Blind's Virtual Technology Fair is back! Supercharge your independence from the comfort of your living room, office or anywhere you can log on. Attend exciting and informative presentations, visit with assistive technology exhibitors in breakout rooms, and find the products and services you need to live as independently as possible. Don't miss this opportunity to explore the latest products for individuals who are visually impaired. Free and open to consumers, families, friends, and professionals — the Carroll Center for the Blind's Virtual Technology Fair is sure to impress! Have you registered yet? Register for the Virtual Technology Fair today:
8) 2nd Annual Sight Tech Global 2021December 1st & 2nd 2021 | 100% free. 100% virtual. Sight Tech Global is the first global, virtual conference dedicated to fostering discussion among technology pioneers on how rapid advances in AI and related technologies will fundamentally alter the landscape of assistive technology and accessibility. Registration is now open:
9) SenseAbility! Using the BrailleSense 6 | An 8 Lesson Course for $112.00 USD from Hartgen ConsultancyDecember 8th 2021 | 11AM PT, 12PM MT, 1PM CT, 2PM ET, 7PM GMT | The training course will be held over at least eight sessions starting in December 2021. Within each session, you will be able to ask questions relating to the topic being worked through. Broadly speaking, topics will include:
10) Structuring Accessible Forms | TPGiDecember 14th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 5PM GMT | Creating accessible forms is the science of constructing form fields that provide the correct name, role, and state through the data entry experience. In this webinar, we examine how to: Create and label form fields of different types. Group related form fields, like radio buttons. Mark form fields as required. Handle input errors. Verify data integrity. Through code examples and testing with a screen reader, you'll learn how to create form fields that work for all your users. Register today:
11) ATHEN (Access Technology Higher Education Network) 1st Annual "Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM) Accessibility: Starting with Math"February 10th 2022 and February 11th 2022 | This virtual conference will take place on February 10th and 11th 2022. We are striving to create a diverse conference where experts can share their best practices, solutions, techniques, etc. for accessing and creating accessible STEM content in higher education. Join us! | Call for Proposal (Google Form) (Open now!) | Brush up by taking a sneak peek into the complexities in creating accessible STEM content in the YouTube video "Factors Involved in Making STEM Content Accessible" (10-minutes). | Conference Details, Dates, Registration, Cost:.
12) Axe-Con 2022March 15th 2022 through March 17th 2022 | Axe-con is an open and inclusive digital accessibility conference that welcomes developers, designers, business users, and accessibility professionals of all experience levels to a new kind of accessibility conference focused on building, testing, and maintaining accessible digital experiences. Register for axe-con 2022, it's free! Join us for this three-day, multi-track conference to help further your digital accessibility efforts. Hear from the top experts in the field, for your area of interest with none of the noise. Learn more about why you should attend or get started by saving your seat by registering now:
1) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Listserv Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-listserv-directory.html
2) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Podcast Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-podcast-directory.html
3) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Game Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-game-directory.html
➜ Buy, Sell or Trade
1) FOR SALE: One Cyclone Braille Embosser for Text or GraphicsListing Date: 10/21/2021 | Price: $1,501.00 USD | Condition: Gently used. | Description: Lightweight, single-sided high quality embosser with speeds up to 60 characters per second. Includes Firebird Software Suite; Firebird Graphics Editor that allows you to produce Braille graphics in 12.5 and 17 DPI Flashdrive with manuals & setup guide. | Contact: Email email@example.com ✉ or (508) 854-1630 ☎. |
2) FOR SALE: One Dell G7 7500 LaptopListing Date: 10/21/2021 | Price: $855.00 USD | Condition: New. | Description: Lightning fast, current Windows 10 64 bit, Jaws 2021 installed with no authorization. NVDA upon request. 15.6 inch display, Intel Core i7 at 2.6 Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD & power adapter. Retails for $1200.00. | Contact: Email firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ or (508) 854-1630 ☎. |
3) FOR SALE: One Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Ad (Just like this one.)Price: $5.00 USD | Description: List your new, gently-used or refurbished item in FOUR (4) consecutive issues of Top Tech Tidbits for just $5.00 USD. | Buy an Ad: Fill out this short 10-step form ✔ to secure your Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Advertisement today. | Learn more at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/buy-sell-trade.html 🌐 |
Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor Classified Ads:
➜ Freedom Scientific Focus Blue 5th Generation Refreshable Braille Displays
Our world-class refreshable Braille displays deliver efficient Braille input and outstanding output for your PC or mobile device. The robust Bluetooth® connectivity provides seamless use with Windows®, Mac®, iPhones®, iPads®, and AndroidTM smartphones and tablets. Ergonomic navigation features allow quick, natural hand movements for greater productivity. When used with JAWS® screen reading software, they support our popular Braille Study Mode, an interactive tool for teaching and learning Braille. Learn more today:
Sponsor Since: April 15th 2021
Website: https://www.freedomscientific.com/ 🌐
Email: email@example.com ✉
Phone: (800) 444-4443 ☎
About: Freedom Scientific, a Vispero brand, is a leading worldwide brand of assistive technology products for those with vision impairments. We offer products designed to promote independence, allowing blind and low vision individuals the same access to information as their sighted peers. World-renowned JAWS (Job Access With Speech) screen reading software and ZoomText screen magnification software provide users the independence and ability to seek education and obtain or maintain a career after vision loss. Our expansive product line includes both low vision and blindness technology for all aspects of daily living. The wide range of RUBY, TOPAZ, and ONYX desktop and portable video magnifiers are designed for their ease of use and assist with daily activities. Our impressive line of blindness hardware products include refreshable Braille displays and scanning and reading devices, offering many options tailored to fit individual needs.
➜ APH ConnectCenter Resources: Holiday Gifts for Children and Adults Who are Blind and Visually Impaired
On Wednesday, November 19th APHConnectCenter and VisionAware are hosting Holiday Gifts for Children and Adults Who are Blind and Visually Impaired from 5:00pm - 6:30pm. For details and registration visit: https://aphconnectcenter.org/webinars/.
Sponsor Since: March 4th 2021
Website: https://aphconnectcenter.org/ 🌐
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
APH ConnectCenter Information and Referral Line:
Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM ET
About: The APH ConnectCenter offers curated advice and resources to assist children, parents, adults, and job seekers who are blind or visually impaired, and their associated professionals, leading to greater independence and success in their lives.
➜ BRAILLIANT Renewed! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series is here!
The wait is over! A redefined family of Brailliant refreshable Braille displays has arrived! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series will help you stay connected, download books from many participating online libraries and share information easily with your peers. You will enjoy the intuitive, seamless user experience of KeySoft Lite, the HumanWare flagship accessibility suite designed to make you more productive. Including the Brailliant BI 40X and the Brailliant BI 20X, this is the Brailliant idea you need!
Sponsor Since: February 4th 2021
Website: http://humanware.com/ 🌐
Phone (Asia): +61 2 9686 2600 ☎
YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRWVYiggn-w 🎥
About: HumanWare is the global leader in assistive technology for people who are blind or have low vision. HumanWare offers a wide range of innovative products, including the BrailleNote Touch, first Google certified braille tablet, the iOS compatible Brailliant braille displays, Victor Reader®, the world's leading family of digital audiobook players, the unique Prodigi® family of desktop and portable vision and reading systems, and the ultra-portable explore line of electronic handheld magnifier.
➜ Accessible Pharmacy Joins Be My Eyes
Accessible Pharmacy, the new, home delivery pharmacy with a blind founder, is bringing its full range of support and services to Be My Eyes. Users of the Be My Eyes app can now call Accessible Pharmacy directly to get support with medication, medical devices, and even home delivery COVID testing. With a fully trained and discreet pharmacy staff on call from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM Pacific, Accessible Pharmacy is the new way for blind and low vision consumers to get an easy, frictionless pharmacy experience. Call today — and you'll never have to take an Uber to the drugstore again.
Lead Contact: Will Butler, VP of Community
Sponsor Since: November 5th 2020
Website: https://www.bemyeyes.com/ 🌐
Download The App (iOS):
Download The App (Android):
About: Be My Eyes is a free mobile app that allows anyone who needs video support to get assistance from a dynamic range of volunteers and company customer support professionals from around the world. With more than 4 million volunteers and dozens of companies offering on-demand visual interpretation and support, Be My Eyes is a free, unlimited way to bridge gaps and get access to whatever information you need — 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in any language. Download the app today from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
➜ LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired Adaptations Online Store Featured Products
Revolution Cane Tip: Standard Roller Tip: $14.50 | Locator Dots: Small Pack of 6 (Clear or Orange): $2.00 | NFB Metal Cane Tip: $3.00 | TMAP - On Demand Tactile Street | Map (set of two maps): $25.00 | Ambutech Aluminum Folding Cane: $35.00 | NFB Chris Park Telescoping Cane: $45.00 | BoldWriter 20 Pen (Individual or 6-pack): $2.00 | Bump Dots: Mixed (50 count): $7.00 | Braille Apple Catalina VoiceOver Guide OSX 10.15 (3 volumes) - Latest Manual: $52.00 | SpeedDots iPhone Tactile Screen Protector, Phone Layout: $12.00 | NFB Chris Park 7-Piece Folding Cane: $50.00 | Visit https://adaptations.org/ to learn more today!
Sponsor Since: October 1, 2020
Website: https://adaptations.org/ 🌐
Toll Free: (888) 400-8933 ☎
Local: (415) 694-7301 ☎
About: Founded in 1902, San Francisco's LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired promotes the independence, equality and self-reliance of people who are blind or have low vision. Adaptations is your online go-to for tools, technology, and accessible solutions for blind and visually impaired people.
➜ Coding is Easy and Accessible with Colby the Code & Go Robot Mouse
Code & Go Mouse introduces coding concepts and tactile graphics as users program Colby to race through a maze toward the cheese. Colby lights-up, makes sounds, and features two speeds along with colorful buttons for easy programming and sequencing.
Sponsor Since: July 2nd 2020
Website: https://www.aph.org/ 🌐
Toll Free and Customer Support: (800) 223-1839 ☎
Phone: (512) 895-2405 ☎
Fax: (512) 899-2284 ░
YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/WENRlCNDsxQ 🎥
Free Apps & Actions from APH: https://www.aph.org/free-apps-from-aph/ 📱
About: Since 1858, the American Printing House for the Blind has operated in Louisville, Kentucky as the world's largest nonprofit organization, creating accessible learning experiences through educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are blind and visually impaired. APH believes that the future belongs to everyone. By offering innovative products and services, APH opens up a door of opportunities for lifelong independence and success.
➜ GuideLights And Gadgets
(1) Join Kae and my presentation at the Let's Go Shopping event this weekend. Our times are 3 PM Friday for Kae and 12 noon Saturday for Barry. Anyone purchasing through this event will receive 2 squeezy storage pouches or a dog choice as a thank you. For more info, send a blank email to email@example.com ✉ (2) Our 3 product Talking Medical Bundle is $130 plus shipping through the holidays. Get two of the three products for $100 with shipping. (3) Aluminum telescopic non-collapsing canes are still $50.00. (4) Our new air induction headphones are loud enough for outdoors, extremely comfortable, and stay on your head; $55. For more info, call Barry at (617) 969-7500 ☎ or Kae at (781) 286-1696 ☎ or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com ✉.
Sponsor Since: June 25th 2020
Website: http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/ 🌐
About: Our Scope of Products: We specialize in 3 lines of products, all intended to assist in access to adaptive electronics, enhance experiences for guide dog teams, and offer practical solutions for organization and travel with a variety of leather bags, pouches, and backpacks. Then there are the random products that are included, just for fun! We enjoy working with our customers 1-on-1 to their money is well spent and not wasted on something they may not use. In thinking about our customers and whether we will carry a product our guiding motto is that it must be: practical, affordable, simple, tested, and accessible (the pasta principle) and it seems to work very well.
What We Do: We bring our business either via zoom, phone, or to your conference or convention, to give each customer a chance for questions and where possible, "hands on" evaluation of the merchandise. Kae and I test and use each product as blind users before we put it in our catalog. In the case of products for guide and service dogs, our own three guides, Thor, Debra and Melody, are engaged in the process of evaluating the usefulness, durability, and/or fun of the product. We want each of our products to be useful, accessible, afforable, and, whenever possible, fun! Our inventory is constantly changing, so a visit to us is never the same experience twice!
➜ Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub
If you're like me, you probably have more things to plug into your computer than available ports. That's why we've now added the Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub. Plug it into your laptop and you will get 3 USB ports, SD and Micro SD card slots, a USBC charging port, and an HDMI video port. It's available now for just $29.95:
Sponsor Since: June 11th 2020
Website: https://www.atguys.com/ 🌐
Phone: (269) 216-4798 ☎
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
Skype: atguys ✆
Twitter: https://twitter.com/atguys (@atguys) ✍
Facebook: https://facebook.com/atguys ✍
About: ATGuys.com. Your access technology experts, home for cool gadgets, accessories, and more. Our products are all tested to work great for blind and visually impaired users but also work just as well for anyone. If there's an item you're looking for, or if you have a question, please don't hesitate to send us a message or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
➜ Order Now! Get The Most Powerful Android Notetaker Available, the BrailleSense 6 From HIMS. It's Simply The Best.
The time is now to get your all-new BrailleSense 6 notetaker, the most powerful and user-friendly notetaker on the market. Running Android 10, with 128 GB of Storage, 6 GB of Memory, and an 8-Core CPU, the BrailleSense 6 is the ultimate braille notetaker. Learn more today at:
Sponsor Since: September 30th 2021
Website: https://hims-inc.com/ 🌐
Shop All Products: https://hims-inc.com/shop-all-products/ 🛒
Phone: (512) 837-2000 ☎
About: HIMS, Inc. is a global manufacturer and distributor that has provided braille, magnification and accessible healthcare devices since 1999.
➜ Modified Talking Black & Decker Toaster Oven Factory Directfrom E T S! Save $50 & Free U.S. Shipping
Order by 11/14/2021 for delivery before Christmas. The Modified Black and Decker counter top talking toaster oven Allows persons with low or no vision to warm, toast, bake and broil foods confidently & independently. Toast Up to 9-Slices of bread or Bake Two 12 inch Pizzas at once. Cook all your favorite foods. Clear and easy to understand High quality male voice. Simple To Operate! Buttons are embossed & easy to locate. Now $399.99 & Free US Mainland Shipping:
Sponsor Since: September 23rd 2021
Website: https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/ 🌐
Blind Mice Order Center Phone: (866) 922-8877 ☎
Blind Mice Order Center Hours: 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM CST/CDT (GMT-5) Monday through Friday
Mall Directory of Stores: https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory 🛒
Join The Today's Cheese Newsletter: Join the Today's Cheese newsletter to get Members' Only sales & Unadvertised Specials from the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. You can save money with these unadvertised specials! Send an email to: TodaysCheese+Subscribe@Groups.io ✉
Blind Mice Swap Shop: Sell, Swap, and Buy. The Mice receive calls everyday asking if we buy or sell used or unwanted items. The Mice don't sell used products but to help our members, we created the Blind Mice Swap Shop! The Blind Mice Swap Shop is the place for Sellers, Traders, & Buyers to find each other! Do you ... have something you don't want anymore... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Got something you just don't use... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Got something new to sell... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Provide a service that might be helpful to other Blind and Visually Impaired folks... Post it to the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Have an announcement about an upcoming event beneficial to the Blind & Visually Impaired Community... Post it to the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Joining the Blind Mice Swap Shop is free and as easy as sending an email to: BlindMiceSwapShop+Subscribe@Groups.io ✉
About: Welcome to Blind Mice Mega Mall! The Mall with the Blind In Mind! Blind Mice Mega Mall is designed for use with a screen reader and low vision software for visually impaired shoppers. Each store is an independent business owned / managed by a member of the Blind / Low Vision Community. Please browse & shop the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. You will find great items and unique offerings from our merchants. You help the Blind Community every time you make a purchase from any of the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. Every purchase made at Blind Mice Mega Mall gives back to the Blind and Visually Impaired Community. Proceeds from sales fund the MouseHole Scholarship Program, the Cooking In The Dark Show and The Movie Vault. Blind Mice Mega Mall accepts American Express, Discover, Mastercard, Visa, PayPal, Checks, and Money Orders. Purchase Orders From State Agencies are also welcome.
➜ Don't Miss the Virtual Technology Fair for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
The Virtual Technology Fair, hosted by the Carroll Center for the Blind, is back to connect you with innovative technology that can transform the lives of people who are blind or have low vision. Supercharge your independence from the comfort of your living room, office, or anywhere you can log on. Attend exciting presentations, meet with exhibitors of cutting-edge assistive technology, and find the products and services you need to live as independently as possible. Register for free at:
Sponsor Since: August 5th 2021
Website: https://carroll.org/ 🌐
Phone: (617) 969-6200 ☎Fax: (617) 969-6204 ░
Shop: https://carroll.org/store/ 🛒
Donate: https://carroll.org/donate ❤
About: The Carroll Center for the Blind is the foremost leader in vision rehabilitation services for individuals confronted by the challenges of vision loss. Our mission is to empower those who are blind or visually impaired to achieve independence and to lead a fulfilling life. Established in 1936, the renowned Carroll Center for the Blind has been serving those with vision impairment for over eight decades; we are known nationally as a premier Vision Rehabilitation Center. Located just outside of Boston on a sprawling campus in Newton, Massachusetts, we proudly serve ALL ages and ALL stages of vision loss. With the ongoing promise of improving the lives of people with vision-related problems, The Carroll Center for the Blind has pioneered many innovative services allowing people who are blind or have low vision to learn the skills to be independent in their homes, in class settings, and in their work places. Our services include vision rehabilitation, vocational and transition programs, assistive technology training, educational support, and recreation opportunities for individuals who are visually impaired of all ages. For over 80 years, the expertise of Carroll Center staff has provided help for thousands of blind and visually impaired persons with diverse opportunities for success and independent living.
➜ The 50% Introductory Rate for Scribe for Meetings is Coming to a Close!
Sign up for your lifetime subscription at the discounted rate before October 15, and lock in your access to future features, including the recently unveiled functionality with Microsoft Teams. Robust accessibility at the price you want starts here:
Sponsor Since: June 3rd 2021
Website: https://pneumasolutions.com/ 🌐
Email Newsletter: Click here to receive periodic news via email concerning Pneuma Solutions products for business, consumers and education.
Sales: (866) 202-0520 ☎
Support: (650) 249-1000 ☎
About: Backed by two decades of creating award-winning accessible cloud technologies for people with visual impairments, Pneuma Solutions is the global leader in accessible cloud-based solutions. Pneuma Solutions was founded by long-time accessibility developers Mike Calvo and Matt Campbell. For more information on their individual profiles, click on their respective bio pages. We're proud to be the first company to develop cloud-based accessibility at the network level. Our tools provide organizations, like yours, a way to deliver secure, accessible information right from your network or from our secure servers. You can provide your print disabled consumers, students, employees, and citizens with a multitude of accessible options. Additionally, we offer a suite of cloud-based applications to blind and print disabled consumers directly from our website. Our consumer products are designed to make the day-to-day lives of blind and print disabled individuals more accessible and simpler to manage. Access to information is not a privilege, it's a right. It's also your right to obtain affordable, accessible cloud solutions to serve your end user. When organizations like yours implement our tools, together we help make it a more inclusive world for people with disabilities. Want to know more about how we can help you become more inclusive?
Contact us here. We'll be happy to discuss how our tools can help with your accessibility needs.
Top Tech Tidbits is a leading, not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 7,200 Adaptive Technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week.
Top Tech Tidbits offers a total of 12 Sponsorship Packages which are used to support the ongoing distribution of the publication.
There are 1 of 12 packages currently available.
If you would like to become a Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor, but there are no sponsorship packages currently available, we encourage you to join our waiting list by sending an email to: email@example.com ✉.
Once you have joined our waiting list we will notify you the next time a current sponsor decides not to renew. You will then have 72 hours to secure your sponsorship before it is offered to the next sponsor on the list.
When available you can secure one of these packages for just $325.00 USD for the next 3 months, or save $100.00 USD and join us for the year. All Sponsorship Packages are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Please help us to support the ongoing distribution of this publication. Consider showing your support for the world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology while enjoying these incredible benefits. Learn more today at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
Top Tech Tidbits Supporters:
We couldn't do it without you! Thank for your support!
Tidbits Supporters donate an amount of their choosing on an annual basis in order to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication.
If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support.
In tandem with Our Sponsors, these are the people that make the ongoing distribution of Tidbits possible:
1.) Gary Lee
2.) Anonymous Donation
3.) Pshon Barrett
1.) Howard Goldstein
2.) David Goldstein
3.) Katherine Crohan
1.) Your name here. Help support Tidbits today.
1.) Steven Wettlaufer
Top Tech Tidbits Subscription Information:
ABOUT:Founded in 2004, Top Tech Tidbits is a leading not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 7,000 assistive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week. Sign up here. Review the archive here. Adaptive Technology refers to items that are specifically designed for people with disabilities. Adaptive Technology is a subset of Assistive Technology. Adaptive Technology often refers specifically to electronic and information technology access. Top Tech Tidbits is a Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication. Publisher: Aaron Di Blasi. Contributing Editors: John Hanlin, Jenna Lang, Stephen (Alex) Marositz, and Ben Moxey. Top Tech Tidbits is a sponsor and reader supported publication.
RELEASE SCHEDULE:Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday is sent out every Thursday morning at 4:00 AM EST / EDT.
SUBSCRIBE:Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter on the Top Tech Tidbits Website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com or by (SMS) texting "TOPTECHTIDBITS" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter. It's that easy.
SPONSOR:If you would like to become 1 of only 12 Tidbits Sponsors whose annual support makes the distribution of Top Tech Tidbits possible, we offer you the following benefits, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
SUPPORT:If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/donate.html.
WEBSITE:Visit the Top Tech Tidbits website online at https://www.toptechtidbits.com.
FACEBOOK:Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Facebook News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/facebook.
TWITTER:Are you on Twitter? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Twitter News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/twitter.
LINKEDIN:Are you on LinkedIn? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your LinkedIn News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/linkedin.
YOUTUBE:Are you on YouTube? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your YouTube Video Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/youtube.
RSS:Do you prefer RSS? Follow Top Tech Tidbits via RSS today to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology using your choice of news aggregator: https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits.
QUESTIONS:Tidbits are intentionally concise. As a result we know that some readers may not always understand all of the items listed because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVEVisit the Top Tech Tidbits Archive at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/archive.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT CONTRIBUTORS:Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be submitted online via our Top Tech Tidbit Submission Form at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/submit-tidbit or directed to our Editors at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Home: Top Tech Tidbits||News: Top Tech Tidbits||Subscribe: Top Tech Tidbits||Donate: Top Tech Tidbits||Search: Top Tech Tidbits||Facebook: Top Tech Tidbits||Twitter: Top Tech Tidbits||LinkedIn: Top Tech Tidbits||YouTube: Top Tech Tidbits||RSS: Top Tech Tidbits||Back to Top|
Information provided by: