Home: Top Tech Tidbtits News: Top Tech Tidbtits Sign Up: Top Tech Tidbits Donate: Top Tech Tidbtits Search: Top Tech Tidbtits Facebook: Top Tech Tidbits Twitter: Top Tech Tidbits LinkedIn: Top Tech Tidbits YouTube: Top Tech Tidbits RSS: Top Tech Tidbits Back to Top
Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, November 18, 2021 - Volume 833
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication
Top Tech Tidbits. The world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology.
This Week's Featured Advertisement: A. T. Guys has the Tech Gadgets You Need for the Holidays; BlindShell 2, Versa Slate, Aftershokx, and More!
It's not too early to begin your holiday shopping for you or your loved ones, and we have the tech toys to fill those stockings. Plus, use coupon tidbits to get free shipping on orders of $79 or more through November 25th 2021. Introducing the BlindShell 2, an upgraded simple phone with tactile buttons, a headphone jack, and louder speaker. Powerful, yet simple to use. Get a free beep item locator with coupon 'tidbits'. Featuring the Versa Slates, paperless, braille slates great for taking quick notes or practicing braille. Check out the latest Aftershokz headset, the OpenComm featuring an improved noise-canceling microphone. Or our loudest Bluetooth speaker, the Stormbox Pro. Tag your everything with stickers, buttons, magnets, and clips from WayAround. We've also added wireless ear buds & braided charging cables. Check out our travel charger, USBC hub, or our folding Bluetooth keyboard. Visit atguys.com for all of the latest gadgets, and don't forget that coupon. Free shipping for U.S. customers. Visit:
Dear Tidbits Subscriber,
1) Top 5 Most Clicked Tidbits From Last WeekA.) 40 Cells To Empowerment: A Comparison Of Five Braille Displays To Fortify Your Success | By Scott Davert, Coordinator: Technology, Research and Innovation Center, Helen Keller National Center for Deafblind Youths and Adults: (6.4% of all clicks.)
B.) 11 Essential Windows 11 Shortcuts You Need To Know | Tom's Guide (TomsGuide.com): (5.6% of all clicks.)
C.) Open-Source Cane Borrows Autonomous Vehicle Tech for Visually-Impaired and Costs $400 to Build: (5.5% of all clicks.)
D.) The 9 Smart Devices You Should Have In Your Room: (5.0% of all clicks.)
E.) 3 Inspiring Audiobooks for People with Disabilities by Anna Cristina Carter, Guest Contributor, Top Tech Tidbits: (4.3% of all clicks.)
2) One Top Tech Tidbits Sponsorship Package Currently AvailablePlease consider helping us to support the ongoing distribution of this publication. Join 11 other AT Industry Leaders in giving Tidbits readers the gift of free weekly technology information while reaching over 6,800 Assistive Technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week. All for just $25 a week! There's no value quite like it in the industry. If you would like to join us in supporting Tidbits while enjoying some really incredible marketing benefits, please reach out to our publisher today at: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉. Or learn more at:
3) Sight Tech Global Agenda AnnouncedWe're excited to roll out the main stage agenda. These 10 expertly moderated fireside and panel sessions capture a remarkable cross section of the work going on today at Apple, Microsoft, Google and Amazon, to name just four of the giants in the field. We will announce another half dozen breakout sessions in the coming days. Please register today. It's free, virtual and very screen-reader friendly:
4) JAWS Tip: Using the Word List Command | Freedom ScientificYou have all kinds of options to find something on a webpage or in a document. You can use JAWS Find, you could create PlaceMarkers on a webpage or in a document, but something I have grown to love is the Word List command:
5) Enterprise Cloud-driven Document Remediation Now Available to ConsumersPneuma Solutions uses its Augmented Remediation platform to get one step closer to equal access to information, communication, and entertainment for everyone with a print disability:
6) Windows 11 Training - dSurfThe JAWS training legend, Dan Clark, kicks off his own series of free training videos for Windows 11:
7) 4 Awesome Shortcut Keys for Navigating Windows That Most People Don't Know | YouTube - Thee QuinIn this video, I show you 4 awesome keyboard shortcuts that make navigating on Windows much faster:
8) What Should A Blind Person Know About Using A Smart Phone Or Tablet With Speech? | YouTube - Insight4blindHave you ever felt out-smarted by your smart phone? No worries. You're not alone. The phone seems to be the simplest thing that these little modern miracles can do. The power and the independence that you can enjoy with a smart phone or tablet is unlimited, especially for people with vision loss. However, if you need your mobile device to talk to you in order to use it, you need to understand the difference between artificial intelligence, screen-reader technology, and dictation. These are 3 very different features of your smart device that might get confusing when you're just getting started. Watch and share this video to learn how accessible mobile devices can be for people with all degrees of vision loss. No vision required:
9) Game Accessibility Feature Tags are now Available on Microsoft Store for XboxMicrosoft's Store on Xbox and Xbox.com now include accessibility tags for its games. Game publishers can also include links to additional accessibility information for their titles:
10) A Guide to the Accessibility Features in iOS 15Janet Ingber covers all the accessibility improvements in iOS 15. She ultimately recommends upgrading:
11) Introduction to RoboBrailleUpon hearing of the new Scribe for Personal Documents, we at Tidbits wanted to confirm that RoboBraille is still active. It is:
12) Facebook And Oculus Detail How They'll Focus On Accessibility And VRCan I Play That details accessibility features under consideration at Oculus:
13) Bose, Apple, Jabra: Direct-To-Consumer Hearing Aids - ReviewedWell known mainstream tech companies are releasing hearing aids for those with mild to moderate hearing loss that are available straight over the counter. Read about this exciting innovation that promises to increase competition and lower prices:
14) How To Use Assistive Touch On The Apple WatchThe new Assistive Touch feature in watchOS 8 is attracting a lot of attention, and with good reason. It's designed to enable access to Apple Watch features for those who can't use the touchscreen, or simply have their hands full. Check out this how-to:
15) macOS Monterey Has A Serious Memory Leak Problem, And The Cause Has Been FoundMany macOS Monterey users have reported running out of memory and needing to restart frequently. While Apple has yet to release a fix, setting your mouse cursor back to the default may fix the issue:
16) Samsung Launches Stable One UI 4 (Android 12) Starting With The Galaxy S21Hot off the heels of Google, the smartphone giant has started releasing Android 12 to eligible devices, starting with the S21:
17) Airbnb Improves Accessibility Search Filters for its AccommodationsAirbnb makes positive changes to its platform to help customers find more accessible accommodations:
18) Top 3 Ways to Turn Off Animations in Windows 11Those fancy animations in Windows may be visually distracting or unnecessary. Find out how to easily disable them for an increase in performance and battery life:
19) How to Run Your Own Secure, Portable PC From a USB Stick | WiredBuild a super-safe computer you can take anywhere:
20) Some Echo Speakers Can Now Detect PeopleUltrasound tech to detect motion comes to fourth-gen Echos and Echo Dot devices:
21) Mantis Q40 and Chameleon 20 Extended WarrantiesAPH, in partnership with HumanWare, is pleased to offer one and two-year extended warranties on the Mantis Q40TM and Chameleon 20TM! Through December 10th 2021 all Mantis Q40 and Chameleon 20 owners have the option to purchase an extended warranty for their braille display, even if the unit is already out of warranty. After December 10th 2021, extended warranties must be bought within 30 days of purchase of the unit which they are covering:
22) Google Unveils New AI App to Help People with Speech ImpairmentsNew Google Project Relate app provides AI-powered speech synthesis for people with speech impairments:
23) Squinting Over A Small Font? 7 Ways To Magnify Your iPhone, iPad Or Mac ScreenThis zoom magnification tool on iPhone and iPad puts an end to headaches from trying to read the small print on your device:
24) A New iPad Accessory Adds Assistive Eye TrackingTobii Dynavox's TD Pilot turns iPads with iPadOS 15 into a hands-free device controlled by eye movements:
25) Pin and Arrange Apps on the Taskbar in Windows 11 with JAWS | YouTube - dSurfDid you know you can rearrange the buttons pinned on the Taskbar in Windows 11 using the keyboard? Why does it matter which apps are pinned to the Taskbar, and what difference does it make which one is first, second, etc.? Apps pinned to the Taskbar can be launched by pressing the WINDOWS key in combination with the numbers 1, 2, 3, etc. on the numbers row that represent the position of that app from left to right on the Taskbar:
➜ Press Releases and Other News
1) Hadley Provides Access to Practical Help for Visually Impaired Residents Across Rural AmericaMore than 60 million people, or one in five Americans, live in rural areas of the country. Residents of rural communities face different challenges than those in urban areas, including lack of public transportation, making it difficult to access needed social services, assistance and in-person help. For those with low vision or blindness living in small town America, these challenges are compounded by their already vulnerable circumstances, with added restrictions brought about by the pandemic:
2) Concerns Arise for the Development of Smart Cane to Assist the Blind | Stanford DailyStanford researchers developed a smart cane to help the visually impaired navigate their surroundings. While the cane was designed to offer improvements over traditional white canes, questions surrounding its usability have surfaced:
3) Roots Food Group Launches Nonprofit To Bring Food Security To Visually Impaired Community"Feeding the Blind" Promotes Vision Nutrition by Subsidizing Medically Tailored Meals for Blind and Low Vision Individuals:
4) DOJ Files Lawsuit Against Uber for Charging Wait Time Fees to Passengers with DisabilitiesThis suit is for when riders need more time to get in an Uber vehicle, and presumably locate a vehicle as well because of a disability:
5) Ableism Is Embedded in Our Language. We Can Dismantle It.Here is a good article with tips and examples on how to avoid using ableist language:
6) Self-Driving Cars for Blind and Visually Impaired People Could Radically Increase Their IndependenceRight now, many automakers have projects to develop self-driving cars, with the "assumption that passengers will have full sight abilities." However, for blind and visually impaired people to benefit more from self-driving cars, modifications will need to be made:
7) Goodmaps Makes Acquisition, Launches Outdoor CapabilitiesUsing mobile scanner technology and digital maps, GoodMaps has developed an accessible smartphone application, GoodMaps Explorer, that helps blind and visually-impaired people navigate indoor spaces. Those navigation capabilities have now been extended to the outdoors after the company acquired the Sendero GPS mobile apps from Aira and relaunched them under the name GoodMaps Outdoors:
8) Instagram Adds TikTok-like Text-to-Speech and Voice Effects Tools to Reels | TechCrunchInstagram added two features to Reels recently: text-to-speech and voice effects. These features are popular already on TikTok, but now, creators can use them on Instagram too. This marks yet another effort from Instagram to keep up with TikTok when it comes to short-form video, as Instagram offers big reels bonuses to incentivize creators:
9) The Pixel 6's Accessibility Features Make Me Hopeful for the Future of Smartphones | GizmodoWith a faster processor and new software features, Google's new flagship phones are more accessible than ever — but still not perfect:
10) This Inventor from Goa is Helping Visually-Impaired Read, Draw and Understand GeometryPaul Dsouza, who has been building assistive devices and technologies for the visually impaired for 11 years, won the 'National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (NCPEDP)-Mphasis Universal Design Award' recently:
11) Is Love is Blind Season 2 Coming in 2022?It's about time for one of our favorite reality shows to come back to Netflix. Yes, we're talking about Love is Blind. It's been over a year since we saw singles mingling and getting to know one another from their pods. So, where is Love is Blind season 2?
➜ Featured Podcast Episodes
1) Hadley Presents: A Conversation with the Experts | 12 Favorite Tech Apps and GadgetsNovember 12th 2021
We sat down with several Hadley staff members and asked them about their favorite tech tips, apps, and gadgets. Whether you consider yourself a tech expert or novice, the group recommends a variety of high-tech and low-tech options that fit your comfort level and interests.:
2) Blind Android Users 49 | Hardware ScanningNovember 13th 2021 | In episode 32, we had spoken about using a network printer with your phone. This week we talk about using a flatbed or automatic document feeder or any hardware network scanner with your phone. We review the Braillesense 6 a Braille notetaker running Android from HIMS. We demo the app Eyecan, an all in 1 navigation / text scanning / many more features still to be added in the app. To listen to the podcast, please visit:
3) Mosen At Large 157November 13th 2021 Is visual description a step too far, changes to JAWS Tandem, and the big reveal of Scribe from Pneuma Solutions:
4) Eyes on Success 2147 Unexpected PathNovember 17th 2021
"Guiding Emily" was written by Barbara Hinske and describes the journey of a newly blinded woman with her first guide dog. Emily's story is continued in the newly released sequel "The Unexpected Path". Hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey talk with Barbara about her new book, its inspiration, and what she learned when researching and writing both books:
➜ Featured Webinars and Training Courses
1) Workshop on NFB-NEWSLINE | Florida Outreach Center for the BlindNovember 18th 2021 | On Thursday, November 18th 2021, the Florida Outreach Center for the Blind will host a workshop on NFB-NEWSLINE, a free audio news service for anyone who is blind or visually impaired. Imagine a service where you can read hundreds of local and national newspapers, magazines, local store adds along with other daily publications. In addition, imagine a place where you can get tv listings for your TV provider? This is NFB Newsline sponsored by The National Federation of The Blind. The service is free and offers access to more than 500 publications, emergency weather alerts, job listings, and more via your telephone or electronic device. Please join The Florida Outreach Center for The Blind and our guest speaker, Russ Davis, who will tell you how to Sign Up for NFB-NEWSLINE and demonstrate this wonderful service. Participants will also have a chance to win a $25 door prize, but you must be present to win. | One tap mobile: +13126266799,,5616420005# | Dial Manually: +1 312 626 6799 | Meeting ID: 561 642 0005 | Join by clicking on:
2) Fusion Suite 2022 with Eric Damery and Ben Knolles | Freedom ScientificNovember 18th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 5PM GMT | Want to learn about all the new features and enhancements in Fusion Suite 2022? Join us Thursday, November 18th 2021 at 12:00 PM Eastern time for a live webinar, "Fusion Suite 2022 with Eric Damery and Ben Knolles":
3) Proctoring with Read & Write | The Network of Assistive TechnologistsNovember 19th 2021 | 12:30AM PT, 11:30 AM MT, 12:30PM CT, 1:30PM ET, 6:30PM GMT | Lisa Horner, Testing Specialist & Adaptive Technology Assistant at the Owen Sound Campus of Georgian College will be joined by Dan Shannon, Education Account Manager and Matthew Brown, Regional Sales Director - Canada, both from Texthelp. Join us as a Testing Specialist & Adaptive Technologist, along with the experts at Texthelp discuss and demo using Texthelp Read & Write for proctoring online and "paper" tests. Time for demonstrations and to learn about pairing Read & Write with Lanschool, and, of course there will be time for Q & A:
4) Carroll Center For The Blind: 2021 Free Virtual Technology FairNovember 23rd 2021 | The Carroll Center for the Blind's Virtual Technology Fair is back! Supercharge your independence from the comfort of your living room, office or anywhere you can log on. Attend exciting and informative presentations, visit with assistive technology exhibitors in breakout rooms, and find the products and services you need to live as independently as possible. Don't miss this opportunity to explore the latest products for individuals who are visually impaired. Free and open to consumers, families, friends, and professionals — the Carroll Center for the Blind's Virtual Technology Fair is sure to impress! Have you registered yet? Register for the Virtual Technology Fair today:
5) Assistive Technology Assessment | Access IngenuityDecember 1st 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 6PM GMT | Join Mark Schafer and Ian Ramos from Access Ingenuity as they discuss the process of an assistive technology assessment and why it is necessary. Meeting ID: 825 6238 1644 | Passcode: 598447 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,82562381644#,,,,*598447# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose) | Join the Zoom Meeting:
6) 2nd Annual Sight Tech Global 2021December 1st & 2nd 2021 | 100% free. 100% virtual. Sight Tech Global is the first global, virtual conference dedicated to fostering discussion among technology pioneers on how rapid advances in AI and related technologies will fundamentally alter the landscape of assistive technology and accessibility. Registration is now open:
7) Managing Websites and Webpages With JAWS | Access IngenuityDecember 8th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 6PM GMT | Join Zhi Huang and Rachel Reeves from Access Ingenuity as they demonstrate ways to better manage your websites and webpages using your browser and JAWS. | Meeting ID: 817 5158 2526 | Passcode: 341540 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,81751582526#,,,,*341540# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose) | Join the Zoom Meeting:
8) SenseAbility! Using the BrailleSense 6 | An 8 Lesson Course for $112.00 USD from Hartgen ConsultancyDecember 8th 2021 | 11AM PT, 12PM MT, 1PM CT, 2PM ET, 7PM GMT | The training course will be held over at least eight sessions starting in December 2021. Within each session, you will be able to ask questions relating to the topic being worked through. Broadly speaking, topics will include:
9) Structuring Accessible Forms | TPGiDecember 14th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 5PM GMT | Creating accessible forms is the science of constructing form fields that provide the correct name, role, and state through the data entry experience. In this webinar, we examine how to: Create and label form fields of different types. Group related form fields, like radio buttons. Mark form fields as required. Handle input errors. Verify data integrity. Through code examples and testing with a screen reader, you'll learn how to create form fields that work for all your users. Register today:
10) JAWS: Maximizing the Experience for You and Your Students Part 2 | Access IngenuityDecember 15th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 6PM GMT | Although the JAWS screen reader is a powerful program that provides many features and support for many applications, some individuals do not like JAWS. Unfortunately, a lot of the time, this is from not knowing some of the available tools and features and not having JAWS or Windows configured to utilize JAWS to the fullest. Join Ian Ramos, and Zhi Huang from Access Ingenuity as they explain some ideal settings and ways to access JAWS features to improve your experience. Although this is a Part 2, you can still benefit even if you did not attend the previous session. We will quickly summarize the main points in Part 1. | Meeting ID: 839 0370 2793 | Passcode: 356314 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,83903702793#,,,,*356314# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose) | Join the Zoom Meeting:
11) Shopping With JAWS and Windows | Access IngenuityDecember 22nd 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 6PM GMT | It's the holidays! You might still be looking for a last-minute gift. Perhaps you just want to know how a competent screen reader user would search for specific items. Join Ian Ramos and Zhi Huang from Access Ingenuity as they use many of the web browsing tips previously introduced to go shopping on a PC using JAWS. | Meeting ID: 832 9367 4055 | Passcode: 291237 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,83293674055#,,,,*291237# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose):
12) ATHEN (Access Technology Higher Education Network) 1st Annual "Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM) Accessibility: Starting with Math"February 10th 2022 and February 11th 2022 | This virtual conference will take place on February 10th and 11th 2022. We are striving to create a diverse conference where experts can share their best practices, solutions, techniques, etc. for accessing and creating accessible STEM content in higher education. Join us! | Call for Proposal (Google Form) (Open now!) | Brush up by taking a sneak peek into the complexities in creating accessible STEM content in the YouTube video "Factors Involved in Making STEM Content Accessible" (10-minutes). | Conference Details, Dates, Registration, Cost:.
13) Axe-Con 2022March 15th 2022 through March 17th 2022 | Axe-con is an open and inclusive digital accessibility conference that welcomes developers, designers, business users, and accessibility professionals of all experience levels to a new kind of accessibility conference focused on building, testing, and maintaining accessible digital experiences. Register for axe-con 2022, it's free! Join us for this three-day, multi-track conference to help further your digital accessibility efforts. Hear from the top experts in the field, for your area of interest with none of the noise. Learn more about why you should attend or get started by saving your seat by registering now:
1) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Listserv Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-listserv-directory.html
2) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Podcast Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-podcast-directory.html
3) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Game Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-game-directory.html
➜ Buy, Sell or Trade
1) FOR SALE: One Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Ad (Just like this one.)Price: $5.00 USD | Description: List your new, gently-used or refurbished item in FOUR (4) consecutive issues of Top Tech Tidbits for just $5.00 USD. | Buy an Ad: Fill out this short 10-step form ✔ to secure your Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Advertisement today. | Learn more at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/buy-sell-trade.html 🌐 |
Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor Classified Ads:
➜ The 50% Introductory Rate for Scribe for Meetings is Coming to a Close!
Sign up for your lifetime subscription at the discounted rate before October 15, and lock in your access to future features, including the recently unveiled functionality with Microsoft Teams. Robust accessibility at the price you want starts here:
Sponsor Since: June 3rd 2021
Website: https://pneumasolutions.com/ 🌐
Email Newsletter: Click here to receive periodic news via email concerning Pneuma Solutions products for business, consumers and education.
Sales: (866) 202-0520 ☎
Support: (650) 249-1000 ☎
About: Backed by two decades of creating award-winning accessible cloud technologies for people with visual impairments, Pneuma Solutions is the global leader in accessible cloud-based solutions. Pneuma Solutions was founded by long-time accessibility developers Mike Calvo and Matt Campbell. For more information on their individual profiles, click on their respective bio pages. We're proud to be the first company to develop cloud-based accessibility at the network level. Our tools provide organizations, like yours, a way to deliver secure, accessible information right from your network or from our secure servers. You can provide your print disabled consumers, students, employees, and citizens with a multitude of accessible options. Additionally, we offer a suite of cloud-based applications to blind and print disabled consumers directly from our website. Our consumer products are designed to make the day-to-day lives of blind and print disabled individuals more accessible and simpler to manage. Access to information is not a privilege, it's a right. It's also your right to obtain affordable, accessible cloud solutions to serve your end user. When organizations like yours implement our tools, together we help make it a more inclusive world for people with disabilities. Want to know more about how we can help you become more inclusive?
Contact us here. We'll be happy to discuss how our tools can help with your accessibility needs.
➜ Freedom Scientific Focus Blue 5th Generation Refreshable Braille Displays
Our world-class refreshable Braille displays deliver efficient Braille input and outstanding output for your PC or mobile device. The robust Bluetooth® connectivity provides seamless use with Windows®, Mac®, iPhones®, iPads®, and AndroidTM smartphones and tablets. Ergonomic navigation features allow quick, natural hand movements for greater productivity. When used with JAWS® screen reading software, they support our popular Braille Study Mode, an interactive tool for teaching and learning Braille. Learn more today:
Sponsor Since: April 15th 2021
Website: https://www.freedomscientific.com/ 🌐
Email: email@example.com ✉
Phone: (800) 444-4443 ☎
About: Freedom Scientific, a Vispero brand, is a leading worldwide brand of assistive technology products for those with vision impairments. We offer products designed to promote independence, allowing blind and low vision individuals the same access to information as their sighted peers. World-renowned JAWS (Job Access With Speech) screen reading software and ZoomText screen magnification software provide users the independence and ability to seek education and obtain or maintain a career after vision loss. Our expansive product line includes both low vision and blindness technology for all aspects of daily living. The wide range of RUBY, TOPAZ, and ONYX desktop and portable video magnifiers are designed for their ease of use and assist with daily activities. Our impressive line of blindness hardware products include refreshable Braille displays and scanning and reading devices, offering many options tailored to fit individual needs.
➜ VisionAware Resources Including the Information and Referral Line
APH ConnectCenter has resources to help blind and low vision people thrive. In addition to the Reader's Digest Getting Started with Vision Loss Guide You can also call the Information and Referral Line with your questions about resources and living with blindness and low vision.
Sponsor Since: March 4th 2021
Website: https://aphconnectcenter.org/ 🌐
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
APH ConnectCenter Information and Referral Line:
Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM ET
About: The APH ConnectCenter offers curated advice and resources to assist children, parents, adults, and job seekers who are blind or visually impaired, and their associated professionals, leading to greater independence and success in their lives.
➜ BRAILLIANT Renewed! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series is here!
The wait is over! A redefined family of Brailliant refreshable Braille displays has arrived! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series will help you stay connected, download books from many participating online libraries and share information easily with your peers. You will enjoy the intuitive, seamless user experience of KeySoft Lite, the HumanWare flagship accessibility suite designed to make you more productive. Including the Brailliant BI 40X and the Brailliant BI 20X, this is the Brailliant idea you need!
Sponsor Since: February 4th 2021
Website: http://humanware.com/ 🌐
Phone (Asia): +61 2 9686 2600 ☎
YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRWVYiggn-w 🎥
About: HumanWare is the global leader in assistive technology for people who are blind or have low vision. HumanWare offers a wide range of innovative products, including the BrailleNote Touch, first Google certified braille tablet, the iOS compatible Brailliant braille displays, Victor Reader®, the world's leading family of digital audiobook players, the unique Prodigi® family of desktop and portable vision and reading systems, and the ultra-portable explore line of electronic handheld magnifier.
➜ LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired Adaptations Online Store Featured Products
Revolution Cane Tip: Standard Roller Tip: $14.50 | Locator Dots: Small Pack of 6 (Clear or Orange): $2.00 | NFB Metal Cane Tip: $3.00 | TMAP - On Demand Tactile Street | Map (set of two maps): $25.00 | Ambutech Aluminum Folding Cane: $35.00 | NFB Chris Park Telescoping Cane: $45.00 | BoldWriter 20 Pen (Individual or 6-pack): $2.00 | Bump Dots: Mixed (50 count): $7.00 | Braille Apple Catalina VoiceOver Guide OSX 10.15 (3 volumes) - Latest Manual: $52.00 | SpeedDots iPhone Tactile Screen Protector, Phone Layout: $12.00 | NFB Chris Park 7-Piece Folding Cane: $50.00 | Visit https://adaptations.org/ to learn more today!
Sponsor Since: October 1, 2020
Website: https://adaptations.org/ 🌐
Toll Free: (888) 400-8933 ☎
Local: (415) 694-7301 ☎
About: Founded in 1902, San Francisco's LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired promotes the independence, equality and self-reliance of people who are blind or have low vision. Adaptations is your online go-to for tools, technology, and accessible solutions for blind and visually impaired people.
➜ Coding is Easy and Accessible with Colby the Code & Go Robot Mouse
Code & Go Mouse introduces coding concepts and tactile graphics as users program Colby to race through a maze toward the cheese. Colby lights-up, makes sounds, and features two speeds along with colorful buttons for easy programming and sequencing.
Sponsor Since: July 2nd 2020
Website: https://www.aph.org/ 🌐
Toll Free and Customer Support: (800) 223-1839 ☎
Phone: (512) 895-2405 ☎
Fax: (512) 899-2284 ░
YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/WENRlCNDsxQ 🎥
Free Apps & Actions from APH: https://www.aph.org/free-apps-from-aph/ 📱
About: Since 1858, the American Printing House for the Blind has operated in Louisville, Kentucky as the world's largest nonprofit organization, creating accessible learning experiences through educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are blind and visually impaired. APH believes that the future belongs to everyone. By offering innovative products and services, APH opens up a door of opportunities for lifelong independence and success.
➜ GuideLights And Gadgets
(1) Join Kae and my presentation at the Let's Go Shopping event this weekend. Our times are 3 PM Friday for Kae and 12 noon Saturday for Barry. Anyone purchasing through this event will receive 2 squeezy storage pouches or a dog choice as a thank you. For more info, send a blank email to email@example.com ✉ (2) Our 3 product Talking Medical Bundle is $130 plus shipping through the holidays. Get two of the three products for $100 with shipping. (3) Aluminum telescopic non-collapsing canes are still $50.00. (4) Our new air induction headphones are loud enough for outdoors, extremely comfortable, and stay on your head; $55. For more info, call Barry at (617) 969-7500 ☎ or Kae at (781) 286-1696 ☎ or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com ✉.
Sponsor Since: June 25th 2020
Website: http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/ 🌐
About: Our Scope of Products: We specialize in 3 lines of products, all intended to assist in access to adaptive electronics, enhance experiences for guide dog teams, and offer practical solutions for organization and travel with a variety of leather bags, pouches, and backpacks. Then there are the random products that are included, just for fun! We enjoy working with our customers 1-on-1 to their money is well spent and not wasted on something they may not use. In thinking about our customers and whether we will carry a product our guiding motto is that it must be: practical, affordable, simple, tested, and accessible (the pasta principle) and it seems to work very well.
What We Do: We bring our business either via zoom, phone, or to your conference or convention, to give each customer a chance for questions and where possible, "hands on" evaluation of the merchandise. Kae and I test and use each product as blind users before we put it in our catalog. In the case of products for guide and service dogs, our own three guides, Thor, Debra and Melody, are engaged in the process of evaluating the usefulness, durability, and/or fun of the product. We want each of our products to be useful, accessible, afforable, and, whenever possible, fun! Our inventory is constantly changing, so a visit to us is never the same experience twice!
➜ Plugable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub
If you're like me, you probably have more things to plug into your computer than available ports. That's why we've now added the Plugable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub. Plug it into your laptop and you will get 3 USB ports, SD and Micro SD card slots, a USBC charging port, and an HDMI video port. It's available now for just $29.95:
Sponsor Since: June 11th 2020
Website: https://www.atguys.com/ 🌐
Phone: (269) 216-4798 ☎
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
Skype: atguys ✆
Twitter: https://twitter.com/atguys (@atguys) ✍
Facebook: https://facebook.com/atguys ✍
About: ATGuys.com. Your access technology experts, home for cool gadgets, accessories, and more. Our products are all tested to work great for blind and visually impaired users but also work just as well for anyone. If there's an item you're looking for, or if you have a question, please don't hesitate to send us a message or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
➜ Order Now! Get The Most Powerful Android Notetaker Available, the BrailleSense 6 From HIMS. It's Simply The Best.
The time is now to get your all-new BrailleSense 6 notetaker, the most powerful and user-friendly notetaker on the market. Running Android 10, with 128 GB of Storage, 6 GB of Memory, and an 8-Core CPU, the BrailleSense 6 is the ultimate braille notetaker. Learn more today at:
Sponsor Since: September 30th 2021
Website: https://hims-inc.com/ 🌐
Shop All Products: https://hims-inc.com/shop-all-products/ 🛒
Phone: (512) 837-2000 ☎
About: HIMS, Inc. is a global manufacturer and distributor that has provided braille, magnification and accessible healthcare devices since 1999.
➜ Dannyboy Portable Smart Phone & Device Stand Save 20% Now $39.99
The DannyBoy Portable Stand holds your Smart Phone stationary so it's camera can view items and documents clearly providing stability for excellent recognition & clarity. Take perfect pictures and scan images. Read documents quickly and easily. Great for anyone with motor disabilities, too! Made with the Blind In Mind! Lightweight & Portable. Ready To Use or Collapses In Seconds. Read All About the DannyBoy Portable Stand at Dannyboy.com in BlindMiceMegaMall.com at:
Sponsor Since: September 23rd 2021
Website: https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/ 🌐
Blind Mice Order Center Phone: (866) 922-8877 ☎
Blind Mice Order Center Hours: 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM CST/CDT (GMT-5) Monday through Friday
Mall Directory of Stores: https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory 🛒
Join The Today's Cheese Newsletter: Join the Today's Cheese newsletter to get Members' Only sales & Unadvertised Specials from the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. You can save money with these unadvertised specials! Send an email to: TodaysCheese+Subscribe@Groups.io ✉
Blind Mice Swap Shop: Sell, Swap, and Buy. The Mice receive calls everyday asking if we buy or sell used or unwanted items. The Mice don't sell used products but to help our members, we created the Blind Mice Swap Shop! The Blind Mice Swap Shop is the place for Sellers, Traders, & Buyers to find each other! Do you ... have something you don't want anymore... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Got something you just don't use... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Got something new to sell... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Provide a service that might be helpful to other Blind and Visually Impaired folks... Post it to the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Have an announcement about an upcoming event beneficial to the Blind & Visually Impaired Community... Post it to the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Joining the Blind Mice Swap Shop is free and as easy as sending an email to: BlindMiceSwapShop+Subscribe@Groups.io ✉
About: Welcome to Blind Mice Mega Mall! The Mall with the Blind In Mind! Blind Mice Mega Mall is designed for use with a screen reader and low vision software for visually impaired shoppers. Each store is an independent business owned / managed by a member of the Blind / Low Vision Community. Please browse & shop the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. You will find great items and unique offerings from our merchants. You help the Blind Community every time you make a purchase from any of the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. Every purchase made at Blind Mice Mega Mall gives back to the Blind and Visually Impaired Community. Proceeds from sales fund the MouseHole Scholarship Program, the Cooking In The Dark Show and The Movie Vault. Blind Mice Mega Mall accepts American Express, Discover, Mastercard, Visa, PayPal, Checks, and Money Orders. Purchase Orders From State Agencies are also welcome.
➜ Don't Miss the Virtual Technology Fair for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
The Virtual Technology Fair, hosted by the Carroll Center for the Blind, is back to connect you with innovative technology that can transform the lives of people who are blind or have low vision. Supercharge your independence from the comfort of your living room, office, or anywhere you can log on. Attend exciting presentations, meet with exhibitors of cutting-edge assistive technology, and find the products and services you need to live as independently as possible. Register for free at:
Sponsor Since: August 5th 2021
Website: https://carroll.org/ 🌐
Phone: (617) 969-6200 ☎Fax: (617) 969-6204 ░
Shop: https://carroll.org/store/ 🛒
Donate: https://carroll.org/donate ❤
About: The Carroll Center for the Blind is the foremost leader in vision rehabilitation services for individuals confronted by the challenges of vision loss. Our mission is to empower those who are blind or visually impaired to achieve independence and to lead a fulfilling life. Established in 1936, the renowned Carroll Center for the Blind has been serving those with vision impairment for over eight decades; we are known nationally as a premier Vision Rehabilitation Center. Located just outside of Boston on a sprawling campus in Newton, Massachusetts, we proudly serve ALL ages and ALL stages of vision loss. With the ongoing promise of improving the lives of people with vision-related problems, The Carroll Center for the Blind has pioneered many innovative services allowing people who are blind or have low vision to learn the skills to be independent in their homes, in class settings, and in their work places. Our services include vision rehabilitation, vocational and transition programs, assistive technology training, educational support, and recreation opportunities for individuals who are visually impaired of all ages. For over 80 years, the expertise of Carroll Center staff has provided help for thousands of blind and visually impaired persons with diverse opportunities for success and independent living.
Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday is a leading, not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 6,500 Adaptive Technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week.
Top Tech Tidbits offers a total of 12 Sponsorship Packages which are used to support the ongoing distribution of the publication.
There are 1 of 12 packages currently available.
If you would like to become a Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor, but there are no sponsorship packages currently available, we encourage you to join our waiting list by sending an email to: email@example.com ✉.
Once you have joined our waiting list we will notify you the next time a current sponsor decides not to renew. You will then have 72 hours to secure your sponsorship before it is offered to the next sponsor on the list.
When available you can secure one of these packages for just $325.00 USD for the next 3 months, or save $100.00 USD and join us for the year. All Sponsorship Packages are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Please help us to support the ongoing distribution of this publication. Consider showing your support for the world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology while enjoying these incredible benefits. Learn more today at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
Top Tech Tidbits Supporters:
We couldn't do it without you! Thank for your support!
Tidbits Supporters donate an amount of their choosing on an annual basis in order to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication.
If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support.
In tandem with Our Sponsors, these are the people that make the ongoing distribution of Tidbits possible:
1.) Gary Lee
2.) Anonymous Donation
3.) Pshon Barrett
1.) Howard Goldstein
2.) David Goldstein
3.) Katherine Crohan
1.) Your name here. Help support Tidbits today.
1.) Steven Wettlaufer
Top Tech Tidbits Subscription Information:
ABOUT:Founded in 2004, Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday is a leading not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 6,800 assistive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week. Sign up here. Review the archive here. Adaptive Technology refers to items that are specifically designed for people with disabilities. Adaptive Technology is a subset of Assistive Technology. Adaptive Technology often refers specifically to electronic and information technology access. Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday is a Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication. Publisher: Aaron Di Blasi. Contributing Editors: John Hanlin, Jenna Lang, Stephen (Alex) Marositz, and Ben Moxey. Top Tech Tidbits is a sponsor and reader supported publication.
RELEASE SCHEDULE:Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday is sent out every Thursday morning at 4:00 AM EST / EDT.
SUBSCRIBE:Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter on the Top Tech Tidbits Website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com or by (SMS) texting "TOPTECHTIDBITS" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter. It's that easy.
SPONSOR:If you would like to become 1 of only 12 Tidbits Sponsors whose annual support makes the distribution of Top Tech Tidbits possible, we offer you the following benefits, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
SUPPORT:If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/donate.html.
WEBSITE:Visit the Top Tech Tidbits website online at https://www.toptechtidbits.com.
FACEBOOK:Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Facebook News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/facebook.
TWITTER:Are you on Twitter? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Twitter News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/twitter.
LINKEDIN:Are you on LinkedIn? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your LinkedIn News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/linkedin.
YOUTUBE:Are you on YouTube? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your YouTube Video Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/youtube.
RSS:Do you prefer RSS? Follow Top Tech Tidbits via RSS today to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology using your choice of news aggregator: https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits.
QUESTIONS:Tidbits are intentionally concise. As a result we know that some readers may not always understand all of the items listed because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVEVisit the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter Archive at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/archive.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT CONTRIBUTORS:Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be submitted online via our Top Tech Tidbit Submission Form at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/submit-tidbit or directed to our Editors at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Information provided by: