Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, November 25, 2021 - Volume 834
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication
Top Tech Tidbits. The world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology.
This Week's Featured Advertisement: One Top Tech Tidbits Sponsorship Package Currently Available! Please Consider Giving Tidbits Readers The Gift of Free Weekly Technology Information While Reaching Over 6,800 Assistive Technology Professionals, Educators And Enthusiasts Each Week! All for Just $25 a Week!
This issue made possible by sponsorship support from: A.T. Guys, GuideLights And Gadgets, American Printing House, LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired Adaptations Online Store, HumanWare, APH ConnectCenter, Freedom Scientific, Pneuma Solutions, Carroll Center for the Blind, Blind Mice Mega Mall and HIMS, Inc..
Dear Tidbits Subscriber,
1) Top 5 Most Clicked Tidbits From Last WeekA.) JAWS Power Tip: Using the Word List Command | Freedom Scientific: (10.4% of all clicks.)
B.) 4 Awesome Shortcut Keys for Navigating Windows That Most People Don't Know | YouTube - Thee Quin: (9.1% of all clicks.)
C.) A Guide to the Accessibility Features in iOS 15: (5.6% of all clicks.)
D.) Bose, Apple, Jabra: Direct-To-Consumer Hearing Aids - Reviewed: (4.4% of all clicks.)
E.) What Should A Blind Person Know About Using A Smart Phone Or Tablet With Speech? | YouTube - Insight4blind: (4.2% of all clicks.)
2) One Top Tech Tidbits Sponsorship Package Currently AvailablePlease consider helping us to support the ongoing distribution of this publication. Join 11 other AT Industry Leaders in giving Tidbits readers the gift of free weekly technology information while reaching over 6,900 Assistive Technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week. All for just $25 a week! There's no value quite like it in the industry. If you would like to join us in supporting Tidbits while enjoying some really incredible marketing benefits, please reach out to our publisher today at: email@example.com ✉. Or learn more at:
3) Windows 11 Gets a Keyboard Shortcut to Mute Your MicMicrosoft has just announced a new Windows 11 Insider Preview build for the Dev channel. Version 22504 is not the most exciting update, but it does bring a keyboard shortcut to the new taskbar mute button:
4) How to Use VoiceOver Image Descriptions With Your iPhone PhotosApple introduced a new feature in iOS 15 that allows users to add image descriptions to their photos that can be read by VoiceOver:
5) Want to Use VoiceOver in a Different Language? Here's How to Change ItFollow this simple guide to switch VoiceOver to a different language on your iPhone:
6) Serviceplan and Dot Inc Develop First Customisable Object-Recognition Platform for the Visually ImpairedWith the Dot Go app, Dot Incorporation and Serviceplan Innovation have created a platform that can be used to recognise objects and distances, and connect these to actions:
7) From The W3C | For Review: Accessibility of Remote Meetings - First Public Working DraftThe Working Draft of Accessibility of Remote Meetings is available for review and comment. This potential resource relates to How to Make Your Presentations Accessible to All and Making Audio and Video Media Accessible. We welcome input on how this information can better help vendors, organizations, and individuals make remote meetings more accessible to people with disabilities:
8) Enhancements in JAWS 2022.2110.60 | November 2021The latest November Jaws enhancements were released on Wednesday. Enhancements include fixes for updating and migrating settings:
9) Mozilla Is Ending Support For Its Firefox Password Manager Sync AppIf you use Lockwise, the password manager from Mozilla, then you will need to look for something new shortly, and here is how you can export your data to another password manager:
10) Windows 11 Update Makes BSOD Blue Again and Fixes Major File Explorer BugsIf you have had trouble with Windows 11's file explorer, the latest update from Microsoft may help:
11) Accessibility In Gaming ReportMore accurate and more frequent representation of disabled people or characters within games were among the most frequent recommendations among gamers in this study out of the UK:
12) Google's 'Look To Speak' Accessibility App Now Works In 17 More LanguagesFor those with speech/language disabilities and those with some motor impairments, Look to Speak is an app that allows one to control their Android smartphone with their eyes by looking at predetermined and prewritten phrases, which the smartphone will then read aloud. It now works in more languages:
13) FCC to Host Video Programming Accessibility ForumCaptioning and other ways to enhance accessibility are on the agenda:
14) Announcing Emacspeak 55.0 - CalmDog!The latest audio desktop from T. V. Raman is out:
15) How To Change The Look And Feel Of Windows 11The Windows 11 appearance is highly customizable. Windows Central shows you how to adjust backgrounds, colors and themes to suit your visual needs. Oh, and did you know that you can put that Start button back on the bottom left if you're not a fan of its new position front and center?
16) Google Chrome Extension SignUp Offers Sign Language for Disney+ MoviesThis exciting Google Chrome extension brings sign language to many movies on Disney+, and it's set to come to other streaming platforms soon:
17) This Is 'Baldphone', The Launcher That Turns Any Android Smartphone Into A Simple PhoneThis free App, with a rather interesting name, promises to transform an Android smartphone into a simple user experience for those that struggle with technology:
18) Discord Now Lets You Send Up To 10 (Accessible) Memes At A TimeDiscord now allows users to add alt text to image attachments on its Mac and Windows platforms:
19) Clubhouse Adds Closed Captioning To Its iPhone AppThe popular audio chat platform adds long-awaited automatic closed captions to enhance accessibility for iPhone users:
➜ Press Releases and Other News
1) Leading Websites Rated For Accessibility For The Visually ImpairedAhead of United Nations' International Day for People with Disability on December 3rd, 2021, newly compiled data shows that over 40 percent of the most popular websites are inaccessible for users with visual impairments. The top 20 least accessible websites are:
2) American Council of the Blind Salutes Audio Descriptions Award WinnersThe AD Awards Gala categories recognized the best-of-the-best in the field of audio description in media. This year's award winners were selected by a diverse group of leaders from the audio description panel who have identified recipients as both audio description content leaders and media industry game changers! The evening began with honoring the legacy of the great Barry Cronin, Ph.D., Emmy Award Winner and creator of the Descriptive Video Service, WGBH-TV, 1994; for development of closed captioning and audio description:
3) 'I Am Not My Blindness': What The Blind Community Wishes You KnewIf you're a sighted person, you likely have misconceptions about blind people. That you can close your eyes and suddenly understand what it's like to be blind. That a blind person you see about to cross the street needs your help doing so. That a blind person knows nothing but darkness:
4) The Paralyzed Will Walk, the Blind Will See: The Bionics Revolution Is ComingElectronic eyes, robotic arms and exoskeletons? USC experts meld man (and woman) with machine:
5) 2022 Paralympic Winter Games: What You Need to KnowWhat may be the biggest Paralympic Winter Games in history is coming our way in March 2022. Get up to speed on when they're happening, what sports are being contested and more:
6) TD Bank Launches Aira Service for All StoresThe Bank will work with Aira to deliver real-time information to blind and low-vision customers at TD Bank locations:
7) Molly Burke's 10 Minute Blind Beauty Makeup Routine | YouTube - Allure"The fun part about being blind and doing your makeup is you don't need a mirror!" Molly Burke shares her entire 10 minute beauty routine — including her hacks for blending and ensuring some symmetry. Molly also gives us some of her go-to "blind girl beauty" hacks for perfect blush and how to apply eyeliner:
8) Xbox November Update Brings Colour Blindness Filters, Low Latency Xbox One Controller Firmware & Improved System StabilityThe Xbox November Update is out now for Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One, making more significant feature additions for accessibility, delivering a new firmware update for older Xbox One controllers, updating the audio settings and more. It might not affect every person's day-to-day usage of the console, but this is a pretty decent step forward for the system:
9) This Technology Can Improve The Eyesight of the Visually Impaired. Here's HowMore evidence for the efficacy of a groundbreaking new gene-editing medical procedure has emerged, deepening hope it will provide one-shot treatments or even cures for cancer, sickle cell anaemia and other conditions:
10) For Blind Photographer Brittany Severance, Everything is 'Illuminated'"For so long, I was striving to make everything look perfect in focus," says Severance, who has turned to making art about the way she sees. Her images are now on view at Worcester State University:
11) Smart HomesThe Pennsylvania Assistive Technology Foundation launches its new Smart Homes Made Simple website. Learn how to implement technology into the home for enhanced convenience and independence:
12) Nearly 240 million Children with Disabilities Around the World, UNICEF's Most Comprehensive Statistical Analysis FindsThe new global estimate for the number of children with disabilities is higher than previous estimates:
13) Xbox And Special Olympics Hold First 'Gaming For Inclusion' Esports EventThe Xbox Twitch channel and Special Olympics YouTube channel have the recorded events:
➜ Featured Podcast Episodes
1) Outdoors with Lawrence Gunther 38: Great Lakes Monsters and Prepping for DisastersNovember 13th 2021
Episode 38 of AMI Audio's Outdoors with Lawrence Gunther explores Great Lakes monsters and people who know them well like Mowhawk Elder Norm Peters, and Jeremy Wade of the Nat Geo Show "River Monsters". Our Tips and Tech section assesses emergency power packs for accessibility and value. Join Lilly, Lewis and me as we face our fears and prepare for the worst:
2) Mosen At Large 158November 13th 2021 New Realtek driver causes problems for some Dell owners, presenters describing themselves at meetings, and more on Chromebooks:
3) Blind Android Users 50 | Party Time!November 20th 2021 | This week we thank all our listeners for listening and supporting us for 50 weeks. We celebrate with our listeners. We talk about gaming on Android and talk about accessible ways to play Playstation games. We also talk about fixes to Google Assistant if there is no chime if you use the G word. To listen to the podcast, please visit:
4) Eyes on Success 2148 Description To MeNovember 24th 2021
J.J. Hunt is an audio describer and storyteller. Christine Malec is an inquisitive member of the blind and partially sighted community who's always wondering about something. Together they host and produce the "Talk Description to Me" podcast. Hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey talk with the pair about this innovative podcast geared to the visually impaired:
➜ Featured Webinars and Training Courses
1) Creating and Using Tactile Graphics | National Federation of the BlindNovember 30th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 6PM GMT | Learn to make and share graphs, maps, charts, icons, and more using a range of accessible tactile formats in the next boutique from the National Federation of the Blind. Tactile graphics are a critical component of information literacy for blind and low-vision people from early education to the workplace and everyday life. Join the National Federation of the Blind Center of Excellence in Nonvisual Accessibility on Tuesday, November 30, from 1:00 to 2:30 p.m., Eastern, to learn the basics of tactile graphics creation and why it matters. Topics to be covered include: High and low-tech approaches: What are accessible drawing tools, embossers, swellform and thermoform machines? How does 3D printing fit in? What expense, benefits, and limitations come with each format? What makes a tactile graphic meaningful, legible, and effective? Which approaches to graphics creation are most accessible to blind people? The NFB looks forward to bringing together blind professionals interested in creating tactile graphics, teachers of blind students, and colleagues, family members, and other allies of blind people for a lively exploration of tactile graphics, why they matter, and how to widen their adoption and availability. This boutique is presented by the National Federation of the Blind's Center for Excellence in Nonvisual Access in collaboration with Chancey Fleet. Chancey is president of the NFB's Assistive Technology Trainers' Division and directs the New York Public Library's Dimensions Lab, a free and open community space where blind and sighted people can come to access skill-building workshops, equipment, and mentorship for creating tactile graphics and 3D models. Register Now for Creating and Using Tactile Graphics:
2) Assistive Technology Assessment | Access IngenuityDecember 1st 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 6PM GMT | Join Mark Schafer and Ian Ramos from Access Ingenuity as they discuss the process of an assistive technology assessment and why it is necessary. Meeting ID: 825 6238 1644 | Passcode: 598447 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,82562381644#,,,,*598447# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose) | Join the Zoom Meeting:
3) 2nd Annual Sight Tech Global 2021December 1st & 2nd 2021 | 100% free. 100% virtual. Sight Tech Global is the first global, virtual conference dedicated to fostering discussion among technology pioneers on how rapid advances in AI and related technologies will fundamentally alter the landscape of assistive technology and accessibility. Registration is now open:
4) Bug Out at Alphapointe's Technology Camp! Ideas for STEAM Activities with Code Jumper | APHDecember 8th 2021 | 12PM PT, 1PM MT, 2PM CT, 3PM ET, 8PM GMT | Code Jumper is a STEM tool that builds critical thinking skills in students of all abilities. In this webinar, learn how Code Jumper can be used to grow students' confidence and interest in STEAM as we take a closer look at Alphapointe's summer Technology Camp for students 12-18 who have visual impairments. Join us for an exploration of Code Jumper Lesson 5: Debugging and exterminate your questions about Code Jumper. Register Here for Bug Out at Alphapointe's Technology Camp! Ideas for STEAM Activities with Code Jumper:
5) Managing Websites and Webpages With JAWS | Access IngenuityDecember 8th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 6PM GMT | Join Zhi Huang and Rachel Reeves from Access Ingenuity as they demonstrate ways to better manage your websites and webpages using your browser and JAWS. | Meeting ID: 817 5158 2526 | Passcode: 341540 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,81751582526#,,,,*341540# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose) | Join the Zoom Meeting:
6) SenseAbility! Using the BrailleSense 6 | An 8 Lesson Course for $112.00 USD from Hartgen ConsultancyDecember 8th 2021 | 11AM PT, 12PM MT, 1PM CT, 2PM ET, 7PM GMT | The training course will be held over at least eight sessions starting in December 2021. Within each session, you will be able to ask questions relating to the topic being worked through. Broadly speaking, topics will include:
7) Using Braille Commands with VoiceOver: "Apple"-ly Your Braille Skills to the Mantis and Chameleon | APHDecember 9th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 5PM GMT | It's beginning to look a lot like the end of the semester, so come join us for a refresher on using your braille display with VoiceOver. Our primary focus will be the Chameleon 20 braille display from APH but we'll also cover some tips relevant to the Mantis Q40 and all of our Perkins keyboard braille tips will be relevant for other braille displays. Check it out and by the end you will be zipping around your Apple device with braille at your fingertips! Register Here for Using Braille Commands with VoiceOver: "Apple"-ly Your Braille Skills to the Mantis and Chameleon:
8) Setting the Table for Accessibility: Creating Inclusive Experiences for QSR / Restaurant Customers | TPGiDecember 9th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 5PM GMT | An inclusive ordering process and restaurant environment are critical parts of designing a complete and inclusive customer dining experience. Consider incorporating accessibility into your dining experiences, from your website and mobile application to your in-person kiosk ordering experience to your on-site menu. Each connection builds upon the next when we are discussing your customers' dining experience. Join Laura Boniello-Miller and Matt Ater for this exciting webinar and learn the essential aspects of creating an inclusive QSR restaurant experience and making your customers with disabilities feel welcome at your table:
9) Five Best New Apps To Debut in 2021 | Technology User Group (TUG)December 11th 2021 | 7AM PT, 8AM MT, 9AM CT, 10AM ET, 3PM GMT | On Saturday, December 11th 2021 the Technology User Group will showcase the five best new apps to debut in 2021, as well as look forward into 2022 to highlight upcoming trends and the tech that will be disappearing. Have you discovered a smart phone app that you enjoy? Feel free to share information about the app with all of us. You do not have to RSVP for this event. The presentation will begin at 10 AM and last about 60 minutes. We look forward to meeting with you and hope that you will join us for other exciting events we have planned for 2022 and beyond. This presentation will be virtual and may be joined by calling:
(319) 527-4994 ☎
10) Structuring Accessible Forms | TPGiDecember 14th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 5PM GMT | Creating accessible forms is the science of constructing form fields that provide the correct name, role, and state through the data entry experience. In this webinar, we examine how to: Create and label form fields of different types. Group related form fields, like radio buttons. Mark form fields as required. Handle input errors. Verify data integrity. Through code examples and testing with a screen reader, you'll learn how to create form fields that work for all your users. Register today:
11) JAWS: Maximizing the Experience for You and Your Students Part 2 | Access IngenuityDecember 15th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 6PM GMT | Although the JAWS screen reader is a powerful program that provides many features and support for many applications, some individuals do not like JAWS. Unfortunately, a lot of the time, this is from not knowing some of the available tools and features and not having JAWS or Windows configured to utilize JAWS to the fullest. Join Ian Ramos, and Zhi Huang from Access Ingenuity as they explain some ideal settings and ways to access JAWS features to improve your experience. Although this is a Part 2, you can still benefit even if you did not attend the previous session. We will quickly summarize the main points in Part 1. | Meeting ID: 839 0370 2793 | Passcode: 356314 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,83903702793#,,,,*356314# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose) | Join the Zoom Meeting:
12) Shopping With JAWS and Windows | Access IngenuityDecember 22nd 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 6PM GMT | It's the holidays! You might still be looking for a last-minute gift. Perhaps you just want to know how a competent screen reader user would search for specific items. Join Ian Ramos and Zhi Huang from Access Ingenuity as they use many of the web browsing tips previously introduced to go shopping on a PC using JAWS. | Meeting ID: 832 9367 4055 | Passcode: 291237 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,83293674055#,,,,*291237# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose):
13) ATHEN (Access Technology Higher Education Network) 1st Annual "Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM) Accessibility: Starting with Math"February 10th 2022 and February 11th 2022 | This virtual conference will take place on February 10th and 11th 2022. We are striving to create a diverse conference where experts can share their best practices, solutions, techniques, etc. for accessing and creating accessible STEM content in higher education. Join us! | Call for Proposal (Google Form) (Open now!) | Brush up by taking a sneak peek into the complexities in creating accessible STEM content in the YouTube video "Factors Involved in Making STEM Content Accessible" (10-minutes). | Conference Details, Dates, Registration, Cost:.
14) Axe-Con 2022March 15th 2022 through March 17th 2022 | Axe-con is an open and inclusive digital accessibility conference that welcomes developers, designers, business users, and accessibility professionals of all experience levels to a new kind of accessibility conference focused on building, testing, and maintaining accessible digital experiences. Register for axe-con 2022, it's free! Join us for this three-day, multi-track conference to help further your digital accessibility efforts. Hear from the top experts in the field, for your area of interest with none of the noise. Learn more about why you should attend or get started by saving your seat by registering now:
1) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Listserv Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-listserv-directory.html
2) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Podcast Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-podcast-directory.html
3) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Game Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-game-directory.html
➜ Buy, Sell or Trade
1) FOR SALE: One Humanware Braillenote Touch Plus 32 + AccessoriesListing Date: 11/25/2021 | Price: $2750.00 USD | Condition: Gently used. | Description: Like new. This Humanware Braillenote Touch Plus 32 just hasn't been used much, so selling for half price to a good home. It has it's accessories and is probably the best known notetaker / computer for the blind that can also be used as a 32 cell Braille display. | Contact: Joe via Email JS5lio021@gmail.com ✉ or (425) 298-6834 ☎. |
2) FOR SALE: One Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Ad (Just like this one.)Price: $5.00 USD | Description: List your new, gently-used or refurbished item in FOUR (4) consecutive issues of Top Tech Tidbits for just $5.00 USD. | Buy an Ad: Fill out this short 10-step form ✔ to secure your Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Advertisement today. | Learn more at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/buy-sell-trade.html 🌐 |
Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor Classified Ads:
➜ Don't Miss the Virtual Technology Fair for People Who Are Blind or Visually Impaired
The Virtual Technology Fair, hosted by the Carroll Center for the Blind, is back to connect you with innovative technology that can transform the lives of people who are blind or have low vision. Supercharge your independence from the comfort of your living room, office, or anywhere you can log on. Attend exciting presentations, meet with exhibitors of cutting-edge assistive technology, and find the products and services you need to live as independently as possible. Register for free at:
Sponsor Since: August 5th 2021
Website: https://carroll.org/ 🌐
Phone: (617) 969-6200 ☎Fax: (617) 969-6204 ░
Shop: https://carroll.org/store/ 🛒
Donate: https://carroll.org/donate ❤
About: The Carroll Center for the Blind is the foremost leader in vision rehabilitation services for individuals confronted by the challenges of vision loss. Our mission is to empower those who are blind or visually impaired to achieve independence and to lead a fulfilling life. Established in 1936, the renowned Carroll Center for the Blind has been serving those with vision impairment for over eight decades; we are known nationally as a premier Vision Rehabilitation Center. Located just outside of Boston on a sprawling campus in Newton, Massachusetts, we proudly serve ALL ages and ALL stages of vision loss. With the ongoing promise of improving the lives of people with vision-related problems, The Carroll Center for the Blind has pioneered many innovative services allowing people who are blind or have low vision to learn the skills to be independent in their homes, in class settings, and in their work places. Our services include vision rehabilitation, vocational and transition programs, assistive technology training, educational support, and recreation opportunities for individuals who are visually impaired of all ages. For over 80 years, the expertise of Carroll Center staff has provided help for thousands of blind and visually impaired persons with diverse opportunities for success and independent living.
➜ The 50% Introductory Rate for Scribe for Meetings is Coming to a Close!
Sign up for your lifetime subscription at the discounted rate before October 15, and lock in your access to future features, including the recently unveiled functionality with Microsoft Teams. Robust accessibility at the price you want starts here:
Sponsor Since: June 3rd 2021
Website: https://pneumasolutions.com/ 🌐
Email Newsletter: Click here to receive periodic news via email concerning Pneuma Solutions products for business, consumers and education.
Sales: (866) 202-0520 ☎
Support: (650) 249-1000 ☎
About: Backed by two decades of creating award-winning accessible cloud technologies for people with visual impairments, Pneuma Solutions is the global leader in accessible cloud-based solutions. Pneuma Solutions was founded by long-time accessibility developers Mike Calvo and Matt Campbell. For more information on their individual profiles, click on their respective bio pages. We're proud to be the first company to develop cloud-based accessibility at the network level. Our tools provide organizations, like yours, a way to deliver secure, accessible information right from your network or from our secure servers. You can provide your print disabled consumers, students, employees, and citizens with a multitude of accessible options. Additionally, we offer a suite of cloud-based applications to blind and print disabled consumers directly from our website. Our consumer products are designed to make the day-to-day lives of blind and print disabled individuals more accessible and simpler to manage. Access to information is not a privilege, it's a right. It's also your right to obtain affordable, accessible cloud solutions to serve your end user. When organizations like yours implement our tools, together we help make it a more inclusive world for people with disabilities. Want to know more about how we can help you become more inclusive?
Contact us here. We'll be happy to discuss how our tools can help with your accessibility needs.
➜ Freedom Scientific Focus Blue 5th Generation Refreshable Braille Displays
Our world-class refreshable Braille displays deliver efficient Braille input and outstanding output for your PC or mobile device. The robust Bluetooth® connectivity provides seamless use with Windows®, Mac®, iPhones®, iPads®, and AndroidTM smartphones and tablets. Ergonomic navigation features allow quick, natural hand movements for greater productivity. When used with JAWS® screen reading software, they support our popular Braille Study Mode, an interactive tool for teaching and learning Braille. Learn more today:
Sponsor Since: April 15th 2021
Website: https://www.freedomscientific.com/ 🌐
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
Phone: (800) 444-4443 ☎
About: Freedom Scientific, a Vispero brand, is a leading worldwide brand of assistive technology products for those with vision impairments. We offer products designed to promote independence, allowing blind and low vision individuals the same access to information as their sighted peers. World-renowned JAWS (Job Access With Speech) screen reading software and ZoomText screen magnification software provide users the independence and ability to seek education and obtain or maintain a career after vision loss. Our expansive product line includes both low vision and blindness technology for all aspects of daily living. The wide range of RUBY, TOPAZ, and ONYX desktop and portable video magnifiers are designed for their ease of use and assist with daily activities. Our impressive line of blindness hardware products include refreshable Braille displays and scanning and reading devices, offering many options tailored to fit individual needs.
➜ VisionAware Resources Including the Directory of Services
APHConnectCenter has resources to help blind and low vision people thrive. In addition to the Reader's Digest Getting Started with Vision Loss Guide You can also check out the Directory of Services to locate resources in your community for living with blindness and low vision.
Sponsor Since: March 4th 2021
Website: https://aphconnectcenter.org/ 🌐
Email: email@example.com ✉
APH ConnectCenter Information and Referral Line:
Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM ET
About: The APH ConnectCenter offers curated advice and resources to assist children, parents, adults, and job seekers who are blind or visually impaired, and their associated professionals, leading to greater independence and success in their lives.
➜ BRAILLIANT Renewed! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series is here!
The wait is over! A redefined family of Brailliant refreshable Braille displays has arrived! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series will help you stay connected, download books from many participating online libraries and share information easily with your peers. You will enjoy the intuitive, seamless user experience of KeySoft Lite, the HumanWare flagship accessibility suite designed to make you more productive. Including the Brailliant BI 40X and the Brailliant BI 20X, this is the Brailliant idea you need!
Sponsor Since: February 4th 2021
Website: http://humanware.com/ 🌐
Phone (Asia): +61 2 9686 2600 ☎
YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRWVYiggn-w 🎥
About: HumanWare is the global leader in assistive technology for people who are blind or have low vision. HumanWare offers a wide range of innovative products, including the BrailleNote Touch, first Google certified braille tablet, the iOS compatible Brailliant braille displays, Victor Reader®, the world's leading family of digital audiobook players, the unique Prodigi® family of desktop and portable vision and reading systems, and the ultra-portable explore line of electronic handheld magnifier.
➜ LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired Adaptations Online Store Featured Products
Revolution Cane Tip: Standard Roller Tip: $14.50 | Locator Dots: Small Pack of 6 (Clear or Orange): $2.00 | NFB Metal Cane Tip: $3.00 | TMAP - On Demand Tactile Street | Map (set of two maps): $25.00 | Ambutech Aluminum Folding Cane: $35.00 | NFB Chris Park Telescoping Cane: $45.00 | BoldWriter 20 Pen (Individual or 6-pack): $2.00 | Bump Dots: Mixed (50 count): $7.00 | Braille Apple Catalina VoiceOver Guide OSX 10.15 (3 volumes) - Latest Manual: $52.00 | SpeedDots iPhone Tactile Screen Protector, Phone Layout: $12.00 | NFB Chris Park 7-Piece Folding Cane: $50.00 | Visit https://adaptations.org/ to learn more today!
Sponsor Since: October 1, 2020
Website: https://adaptations.org/ 🌐
Toll Free: (888) 400-8933 ☎
Local: (415) 694-7301 ☎
About: Founded in 1902, San Francisco's LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired promotes the independence, equality and self-reliance of people who are blind or have low vision. Adaptations is your online go-to for tools, technology, and accessible solutions for blind and visually impaired people.
➜ Coding is Easy and Accessible with Colby the Code & Go Robot Mouse
Code & Go Mouse introduces coding concepts and tactile graphics as users program Colby to race through a maze toward the cheese. Colby lights-up, makes sounds, and features two speeds along with colorful buttons for easy programming and sequencing.
Sponsor Since: July 2nd 2020
Website: https://www.aph.org/ 🌐
Toll Free and Customer Support: (800) 223-1839 ☎
Phone: (512) 895-2405 ☎
Fax: (512) 899-2284 ░
YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/WENRlCNDsxQ 🎥
Free Apps & Actions from APH: https://www.aph.org/free-apps-from-aph/ 📱
About: Since 1858, the American Printing House for the Blind has operated in Louisville, Kentucky as the world's largest nonprofit organization, creating accessible learning experiences through educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are blind and visually impaired. APH believes that the future belongs to everyone. By offering innovative products and services, APH opens up a door of opportunities for lifelong independence and success.
➜ GuideLights And Gadgets
(1) Join Kae and my presentation at the Let's Go Shopping event this weekend. Our times are 3 PM Friday for Kae and 12 noon Saturday for Barry. Anyone purchasing through this event will receive 2 squeezy storage pouches or a dog choice as a thank you. For more info, send a blank email to firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ (2) Our 3 product Talking Medical Bundle is $130 plus shipping through the holidays. Get two of the three products for $100 with shipping. (3) Aluminum telescopic non-collapsing canes are still $50.00. (4) Our new air induction headphones are loud enough for outdoors, extremely comfortable, and stay on your head; $55. For more info, call Barry at (617) 969-7500 ☎ or Kae at (781) 286-1696 ☎ or email us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org ✉.
Sponsor Since: June 25th 2020
Website: http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/ 🌐
About: Our Scope of Products: We specialize in 3 lines of products, all intended to assist in access to adaptive electronics, enhance experiences for guide dog teams, and offer practical solutions for organization and travel with a variety of leather bags, pouches, and backpacks. Then there are the random products that are included, just for fun! We enjoy working with our customers 1-on-1 to their money is well spent and not wasted on something they may not use. In thinking about our customers and whether we will carry a product our guiding motto is that it must be: practical, affordable, simple, tested, and accessible (the pasta principle) and it seems to work very well.
What We Do: We bring our business either via zoom, phone, or to your conference or convention, to give each customer a chance for questions and where possible, "hands on" evaluation of the merchandise. Kae and I test and use each product as blind users before we put it in our catalog. In the case of products for guide and service dogs, our own three guides, Thor, Debra and Melody, are engaged in the process of evaluating the usefulness, durability, and/or fun of the product. We want each of our products to be useful, accessible, afforable, and, whenever possible, fun! Our inventory is constantly changing, so a visit to us is never the same experience twice!
➜ Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub
If you're like me, you probably have more things to plug into your computer than available ports. That's why we've now added the Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub. Plug it into your laptop and you will get 3 USB ports, SD and Micro SD card slots, a USBC charging port, and an HDMI video port. It's available now for just $29.95:
Sponsor Since: June 11th 2020
Website: https://www.atguys.com/ 🌐
Phone: (269) 216-4798 ☎
Email: email@example.com ✉
Skype: atguys ✆
Twitter: https://twitter.com/atguys (@atguys) ✍
Facebook: https://facebook.com/atguys ✍
About: ATGuys.com. Your access technology experts, home for cool gadgets, accessories, and more. Our products are all tested to work great for blind and visually impaired users but also work just as well for anyone. If there's an item you're looking for, or if you have a question, please don't hesitate to send us a message or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
➜ Order Now! Get The Most Powerful Android Notetaker Available, the BrailleSense 6 From HIMS. It's Simply The Best.
The time is now to get your all-new BrailleSense 6 notetaker, the most powerful and user-friendly notetaker on the market. Running Android 10, with 128 GB of Storage, 6 GB of Memory, and an 8-Core CPU, the BrailleSense 6 is the ultimate braille notetaker. Learn more today at:
Sponsor Since: September 30th 2021
Website: https://hims-inc.com/ 🌐
Shop All Products: https://hims-inc.com/shop-all-products/ 🛒
Phone: (512) 837-2000 ☎
About: HIMS, Inc. is a global manufacturer and distributor that has provided braille, magnification and accessible healthcare devices since 1999.
➜ DannyBoy Portable Smart Phone & Device Stand Save 20% Now $39.99
The DannyBoy Portable Stand holds your Smart Phone stationary so it's camera can view items and documents clearly providing stability for excellent recognition & clarity. Take perfect pictures and scan images. Read documents quickly and easily. Great for anyone with motor disabilities, too! Made with the Blind In Mind! Lightweight & Portable. Ready To Use or Collapses In Seconds. Read All About the DannyBoy Portable Stand at DannyBoy.com in BlindMiceMegaMall.com at:
Sponsor Since: September 23rd 2021
Website: https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/ 🌐
Blind Mice Order Center Phone: (866) 922-8877 ☎
Blind Mice Order Center Hours: 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM CST/CDT (GMT-5) Monday through Friday
Mall Directory of Stores: https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory 🛒
Join The Today's Cheese Newsletter: Join the Today's Cheese newsletter to get Members' Only sales & Unadvertised Specials from the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. You can save money with these unadvertised specials! Send an email to: TodaysCheese+Subscribe@Groups.io ✉
Blind Mice Swap Shop: Sell, Swap, and Buy. The Mice receive calls everyday asking if we buy or sell used or unwanted items. The Mice don't sell used products but to help our members, we created the Blind Mice Swap Shop! The Blind Mice Swap Shop is the place for Sellers, Traders, & Buyers to find each other! Do you ... have something you don't want anymore... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Got something you just don't use... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Got something new to sell... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Provide a service that might be helpful to other Blind and Visually Impaired folks... Post it to the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Have an announcement about an upcoming event beneficial to the Blind & Visually Impaired Community... Post it to the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Joining the Blind Mice Swap Shop is free and as easy as sending an email to: BlindMiceSwapShop+Subscribe@Groups.io ✉
About: Welcome to Blind Mice Mega Mall! The Mall with the Blind In Mind! Blind Mice Mega Mall is designed for use with a screen reader and low vision software for visually impaired shoppers. Each store is an independent business owned / managed by a member of the Blind / Low Vision Community. Please browse & shop the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. You will find great items and unique offerings from our merchants. You help the Blind Community every time you make a purchase from any of the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. Every purchase made at Blind Mice Mega Mall gives back to the Blind and Visually Impaired Community. Proceeds from sales fund the MouseHole Scholarship Program, the Cooking In The Dark Show and The Movie Vault. Blind Mice Mega Mall accepts American Express, Discover, Mastercard, Visa, PayPal, Checks, and Money Orders. Purchase Orders From State Agencies are also welcome.
Top Tech Tidbits is a leading, not-for-profit adaptive technology publication that reaches over 7,100 adaptive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts, all over the world, each week.
Top Tech Tidbits offers a total of 12 Sponsorship Packages which are used to support the ongoing distribution of the publication.
There are 1 of 12 packages currently available.
If you would like to become a Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor, but there are no sponsorship packages currently available, we encourage you to join our waiting list by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉.
Once you have joined our waiting list we will notify you the next time a current sponsor decides not to renew. You will then have 72 hours to secure your sponsorship before it is offered to the next sponsor on the list.
When available you can secure one of these packages for just $325.00 USD for the next 3 months, or save $100.00 USD and join us for the year. All Sponsorship Packages are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Please help us to support the ongoing distribution of this publication. Consider showing your support for the world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology while enjoying these incredible benefits. Learn more today at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
Top Tech Tidbits Supporters:
We couldn't do it without you! Thank for your support!
Tidbits Supporters donate an amount of their choosing on an annual basis in order to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication.
If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support.
In tandem with Our Sponsors, these are the people that make the ongoing distribution of Tidbits possible:
1.) Gary Lee
2.) Anonymous Donation
3.) Pshon Barrett
1.) Howard Goldstein
2.) David Goldstein
3.) Katherine Crohan
1.) Your name here. Help support Tidbits today.
1.) Steven Wettlaufer
Top Tech Tidbits Subscription Information:
ABOUT:Founded in 2004, Top Tech Tidbits is a leading not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 7,000 assistive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week. Sign up here. Review the archive here. Adaptive Technology refers to items that are specifically designed for people with disabilities. Adaptive Technology is a subset of Assistive Technology. Adaptive Technology often refers specifically to electronic and information technology access. Top Tech Tidbits is a Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication. Publisher: Aaron Di Blasi. Contributing Editors: John Hanlin, Jenna Lang, Stephen (Alex) Marositz, and Ben Moxey. Top Tech Tidbits is a sponsor and reader supported publication.
RELEASE SCHEDULE:Top Tech Tidbits is released every Thursday morning at 4:00 AM ET.
SUBSCRIBE:Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter on the Top Tech Tidbits Website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com or by (SMS) texting "TOPTECHTIDBITS" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter. It's that easy.
SPONSOR:If you would like to become 1 of only 18 Top Tech Tidbits Sponsors whose annual support makes the distribution of Top Tech Tidbits possible, we offer you the following benefits, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
SUPPORT:If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/donate.html.
WEBSITE:Visit the Top Tech Tidbits website online at https://www.toptechtidbits.com.
FACEBOOK:Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Facebook News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/facebook.
TWITTER:Are you on Twitter? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Twitter News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/twitter.
LINKEDIN:Are you on LinkedIn? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your LinkedIn News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/linkedin.
YOUTUBE:Are you on YouTube? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your YouTube Video Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/youtube.
RSS:Do you prefer RSS? Follow Top Tech Tidbits via RSS today to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology using your choice of news aggregator: https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits.
QUESTIONS:Tidbits are intentionally concise. As a result we know that some readers may not always understand all of the items listed because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVEVisit the Top Tech Tidbits Archive at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/archive.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT CONTRIBUTORS:Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be submitted online via our Top Tech Tidbit Submission Form at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/submit-tidbit or directed to our Editors at: email@example.com.
|Home: Top Tech Tidbits||News: Top Tech Tidbits||Subscribe: Top Tech Tidbits||Donate: Top Tech Tidbits||Search: Top Tech Tidbits||Facebook: Top Tech Tidbits||Twitter: Top Tech Tidbits||LinkedIn: Top Tech Tidbits||YouTube: Top Tech Tidbits||RSS: Top Tech Tidbits||Back to Top|
Information provided by: