Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, December 16, 2021 - Volume 837
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication
Top Tech Tidbits. The world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology.
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Our Customers Independence And Joy From Our Efforts To Find Unique/Useful Products Motivates Us To Do Better!
New hands free phone pouches; you now have 6 choices from $15 to dis40; Talking Medical Bundle $130 extended through January 31. Lots of new bags for laptops, tablets, ipads, and all sizes of Braille displays, from $35 to $70; Ú styles of leather waist packs, including our end of year $25 bargain 6 pocket 18 inch model; a medium sized pack for daily use; and the colossal pack for 32 cell displays, $25 to $60. New bt single ear over ear headset with boom mic easy controls, and speech; dis40; The only cable you'll need: 10ft, lightning, usb micro, usbc, $20.00; Dog products for grooming; safety, and convience: bowls, lights; compact resting aids, audible harness lights, Ruffware products. Call Barry | (617) 969-7500 ☎ | firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ | email@example.com ✉ | Kae: (781) 286-1696 ☎ | firstname.lastname@example.org ✉. Or go to our website:
Dear Tidbits Subscriber,
1) Top 5 Most Clicked Tidbits From Last WeekA.) Audible Launches 100 Audiobooks For Free On Alexa: Here's How To Access: (9.8% of all clicks.)
B.) JAWS Power Tip: Reversing Last Setting: (6.4% of all clicks.)
C.) Apple Still Hasn't Fixed Siri Issue That Nixed Call, Email, and Voicemail Features Used by Low Vision and Blind Users [Updated]: (5.8% of all clicks.)
D.) Live Text, New In iOS 15 Is Amazing, But It Took Us 45 Years Of Technical Advancements To Get There: (5.6% of all clicks.)
E.) Best Apps For Hearing Loss: (5.3% of all clicks.)
2) Top Tech Tidbits Welcomes Aboard Double Tap TV | No More Sponsorship Packages Currently AvailablePlease join all of us here at Tidbits in welcoming aboard Double Tap TV, who has so very graciously agreed to support the ongoing distribution of Top Tech Tidbits by becoming a sponsor. If you look forward to Tidbits every week, it is sponsors like Double Tap TV that make it possible. Double Tap TV is a weekly tech show on AMI-tv, (also available on CBC Gem in Canada and YouTube). Each week join hosts Steven Scott (@blindguytech) and Marc Aflalo (@marcaflalo) as they help viewers better understand how technology can assist in everyday life. Its tech from an accessible point of view! The show features interviews with some of the biggest names in consumer tech and features up and coming companies and services:
3) Critical Log4J Vulnerability Leaves Much of the Internet at RiskThe Apache Software Foundation has released fixes to contain an actively exploited zero-day vulnerability affecting the widely-used Apache Log4j Java-based logging library that could be weaponized to execute malicious code and allow a complete takeover of vulnerable systems:
4) JAWS Power Tip: Copy Speech History to the ClipboardCourtesy of Freedom Scientific:
5) How to Use Alexa to Get Help in an EmergencyFind out more about the Emergency Contact feature and how to get it set up:
6) Guide to Beginning on Twitch as a Blind StreamerWhether you want to stream yourself playing video games, arts and crafts, or just chatting, compared to YouTube gaming, Twitch is currently the best place for a blind person to begin. Knowing what software to use is critical, but can also be intimidating to learn because of the wide spectrum of inaccessible products in the industry. Fortunately for you, I've been streaming content for a few years now and I want to pass on what I've learned. No matter if you have a gaming PC or just a console, this guide will provide solutions to make your stream more accessible. In this article you'll learn how to use OBS with a screen reader, how to use Stream Elements or Firebot to control your stream, and tips to improve your streaming experience:
7) NVDA 2021.3.1 RC1 Now AvailableThis version comes with 2 fixes: Braille display auto detection for Humanware & APH displays and Landmark is again abbreviated in braille. If no issues are found, this will be identical to the final NVDA 2021.3.1 release. Full info & download from:
8) Navigating Your Browser Faster and More Efficiently with NVDA Single Letter Navigation | YouTube - Thee QuinnLearn the different ways you can use NVDA single letter navigation to navigate your webpage even faster than persons who are sighted:
9) Niagara-Made Audio Game Nominated for Accessibility Game AwardA made-in-Niagara video game has been nominated for a Game Award in the category of innovation in accessibility. The Vale: Shadow of the Crown was created by Niagara's Falling Squirrel, an independent game studio. Dave Evans, founder of Falling Squirrel and creative director of the game, said they started making it five years ago:
10) Bookshare Reader for Amazon Alexa Beta | Setting Up The Bookshare SkillStep-by-step instructions for installing the Beta skill on the Alexa app, linking the skill to your Bookshare account and getting audiobooks for Alexa to read:
11) Sight Tech Global 2021 Highlights and YouTube ChannelThere were many presentations worth highlighting from Sight Tech Global 2021. Recordings of breakout sessions will be posted soon. Videos of main stage sessions are now available on the Sight Tech Global agenda page at:
You can subscribe via their Youtube channel at:
12) Your Feedback Is Important To Us At GoogleGoogle is looking for participant's who use assistive technology to participate in user research. Google says most participants will get a small thank you gift:
13) PlayStation and AccessibilitySony has a new website dedicated to its PlayStation's accessibility features. Some games are also covered:
14) Can I Play That? Accessibility Awards 2021 - The WinnersCan I Play That has announced their 2021 accessibility awards winners:
15) Introducing Bookshare Reader (Beta) for Smart SpeakersYou can now listen to Bookshare books using Amazon Alexa with Bookshare Reader. Bookshare Reader is currently in beta release and only available for Bookshare Individual Members at this time. Future releases will provide access to students and educators on school organizational accounts:
16) For Low-Vision People Like Me, Autonomous Driving Could Change EverythingA thought provoking piece on autonomous driving from a blindness and low vision perspective:
17) Facetime Client App 'Navi' Adds Subtitles And Live Translations Through SharePlayWith Apple releasing macOS 12.1 with SharePlay support, developer Jordi Bruin launched Navi, a universal app that helps people with hearing impairment and other disabilities to easily engage in a FaceTime call using subtitles and live translations:
18) Israeli Company Says Novel AI Device Could Help Prevent Adult BlindnessA Modi'in Illit-based start-up has recently unveiled what they say is the world's first AI-based contactless intraocular pressure (IOP) measuring device that allows individuals with glaucoma to measure their eye pressure anytime and anywhere and communicate the results to their doctor:
19) The Ultimate Guide To Keyboard Shortcuts In Windows 11Navigating Windows 11 can be a whole lot faster with keyboard commands. This guide provides a great overview:
20) Twitter Is Rolling Out Automatic Captions For VideosTwitter receives a much needed accessibility enhancement with automatic captions for videos being rolled out for most languages:
21) Apple Releases iOS 15.2 With Communication Safety In Messages, Macro Photo Control, App Privacy Reports, And MoreApple releases a software update for iPhone and iPad users with significant new features. Plus, Siri's call history and voicemail functionality are finally restored:
22) How To Easily Insert Images, Tables, Charts, And More Into Google DocsGoogle Docs has added an "@" menu that makes it easier than ever to add content to your documents:
23) WatchOS 8.3 Release Candidate Expands AssistiveTouch To Older Apple Watch ModelsThe WatchOS 8.3 update is set to bring AssistiveTouch features to older Apple Watch models, including the 4 and 5:
24) Samsung Bixby Is Available for Windows: What You Need to KnowGoogle Assistant and Amazon's Alexa are the biggest names in the virtual assistant market, but Samsung's Bixby has proven to be a good contender. Now, it will become more accessible with its release on the Microsoft Store:
25) The 13 Best Windows 11 Tips and Tricks That Everybody Should KnowWindows 11 comes with a ton of changes. A new UI, Android app compatibility, improved resources management, and so much more are all packed into Microsoft's new operating system. However, it is still the same OS underneath, and that's a good thing:
26) Windows 11 Voice Access Will Let You Control A PC By Talking To It, Available Now In PreviewMicrosoft has been including speech recognition software in Windows for years, but historically it's been designed as an accessibility setting that allows you to input text by talking instead of typing. Soon you'll also be able to launch and switch between apps, browse the web, and generally control your computer by voice thanks to a new Voice Access feature coming to Windows 11. A pre-release version of the feature is rolling out now to members of the Windows Insider program on the Windows 11 dev channel:
➜ Press Releases and Other News
1) First-Of-Its-Kind Box Uses Braille To Make Finding Your Favourite Chocolate Accessible To The Blind CommunityThe Holiday Braille Box is an accessible box of Purdys chocolates designed specifically for, and with consultation from, the blind and partially sighted community:
2) 12 of the Best Job Search Sites for Remote WorkIf the pandemic taught us anything about the workforce, it's that working remotely is not the horrible scenario most employers fear. While COVID-19 forced many companies to quickly change their tune on remote work, the reality is that momentum was already starting to swing in that direction, and there is no shortage of companies looking for new team members. The only question is how do you locate these coveted work-from-home roles. Keep reading to find some of the best job search sites for remote work:
3) Bringing Accessible Tourism to the WorldProfessor Yaniv Poria's recent master's degree course is giving future travel industry leaders the tools to improve travel and recreational experiences for people with a wide range of disabilities:
4) Streaming Subtitles Should Not Be This Tricky to ReadAs a visually impaired cinephile, my nemesis is a white subtitle with no drop shadow, sheared of an outline — the words onscreen blend into the background too easily. There have been countless times when I was watching a film at Angelika Film Center or Lincoln Center and had to give up on reading the dialogue text altogether. No understanding of the plot, just vibes:
5) A 17-Year-Old Created A Free App That Makes Disney+ Films More Accessible For Deaf ChildrenSubtitles and closed captions make it possible for deaf people to enjoy films and television shows — but what about little kids who can't read yet, or whose reading isn't fast enough to keep up with the captions? How does a deaf child fully appreciate a children's movie if they can't understand what any of the characters are saying and can't read the captions?
6) Smart Cane Offering Mobility for Visually ImpairedResearchers have open-sourced their technology, which will allow developers to build smart canes at home using their own parts:
7) Art Exhibit For The Blind Allows People To See With Their HandsA museum in Casselberry is breaking a long-held rule at most museums; NO TOUCHING:
8) This Conference Puts Accessibility in Gaming Front and Center | WiredThe Game Accessibility Conference brings developers, advocates, and government officials together to imagine and work toward a more inclusive games industry:
9) Legally Blind Canadian Using Electronic Glasses To Develop More Accessible Apps39-year-old Jaclyn Pope of Oshawa, Ontario wants to make the kinds of apps for others that have been lacking in her own life:
10) Why Cannabis Companies Should Care About Their Online AccessibilityCannabis companies should understand that selling goods on a website that is not broadly accessible is an invitation to be sued:
11) Smart Tech Aims To Improve Transit Accessibility For The Visually ImpairedTransit data firm Moovit and UK startup WeWALK have partnered on technology that will offer transit navigation and scheduling information to visually impaired riders through WeWALK's electronic cane:
12) 4 Inclusive Beauty Brands That Are Catering To Those Who Are Differently AbledThe beauty industry isn't a very inclusive space. For the longest time there were no foundations catering to very dark skin or extremely fair skin tones. Imagery for brands was mainly Euro-centric and natural hair texture was not even featured in campaigns. However, some brands are switching things up to cater to those who are differently abled and visually impaired. Let's take a look at some of them:
➜ Featured Podcast Episodes
1) Blind Android Users 53 | It's time to Eat!December 11th 2021 | This week, as the festive season is nearing its climax, we demo food ordering apps on Android. We demo Deliveroo and Just Eat, and the UK grocery shopping app Tesco. In our talkback highlights we show how to explore notifications, quick setting and customise on screen and physical keyboards. To listen to the podcast, please visit:
2) Mosen At Large 161December 1th 2021 Review of the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 carbon, more on mainstream vs blindness tech, and a new book designed to give hope to newly blind people and their families.
3) Hadley Presents Using Workout Equipment at HomeDecember 12th 2021
Working on your health and fitness always makes sense — but sometimes, going to the gym doesn't. Luckily, there's plenty you can do to build your strength and stay in shape at home — so working out doesn't have to mean going out:
4) Eyes on Success 2151 The Intracortical Visual Prosthesis ProjectDecember 15th 2021
The goal of the Intracortical Visual Prosthesis (ICVP) project is to develop a device and system that will compensate for blindness by directly stimulating the visual centers within the brain. Hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey talk with principal investigators Philip Troyk and Frank Lane about how the system works and their search for research volunteers:
➜ Featured Webinars and Training Courses
1) Accessible Pharmacy Virtual Workshop by Florida Outreach Center For The BlindDecember 16th 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 6PM GMT | Come join The Florida Outreach Center For The Blind for our next virtual workshop. This months workshop will be with Accessible Pharmacy. This exciting presentation will be held on Thursday, December 16, 2021 at 1:00 PM ET. In addition a door prize of a $25.00 gift card will be given out to one lucky winner! Below you will find information about our presenters along with the Zoom information. We look forward to having you join us for this informative and innovative event! Accessible Pharmacy Services for the Blind is a comprehensive, home delivery pharmacy service specializing in the needs of the blind and low vision community. They are the only provider of its kind and the largest blind-owned healthcare company in the United States. We will be joined by one of the co-founders of the company, Andy Burstein. Web: https://www.accessiblepharmacy.com/. Phone: (215) 799-9900 ☎. If you want to use the one-touch method, you can use: +13126266799, 5616420005#. If you wish to call in directly please call: +1 312 626 6799. You will then have to enter the following meeting ID number: 561 642 0005. Join with the following link:
2) Eyedaptic - Enhancing Vision to Revitalize Life | Free Training Webinars by VisperoDecember 16th 2021 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 5PM GMT | Join Mike Wood and Brian Schleiger, Eyedaptic Sales Manager, on Thursday, December 16, 2021, for an introduction to the Eyedaptic EYE3 glasses for AMD and other retinal disorders. The EYE3 glasses are fully self-contained Augmented Reality glasses that simulate natural vision and optimizes the user's functional peripheral vision. These state-of-the-art glasses can revitalize a user's quality of life. They are customized and adapt to users' needs as their vision changes. Key Features: Autonomous user interface with multiple viewing modes including auto-zoom and automatic image stabilization. Contrast modes plus Britext edge enhancement. Hot swappable batteries for extended run time. Magnification up to 10x. Patented Hybrid See Through system. Light weight and more comfortable than the EYE2. Register for this webinar to learn more about the Eyedaptic EYE3:
3) BlindShell Cell Phone DemonstrationDecember 18th 2021 | 7AM PT, 8AM MT, 9AM CT, 10AM ET, 3PM GMT | On Saturday, December 18, 2021 at 10:00 AM Eastern the Computer Science & Technology Division of the NFB of SC will have representatives from Matapo to give us a demonstration on the BlindShell cell phone! This presentation will take place on the Federation Zoom platform. | Meeting ID: 803 254 3777 | Passcode: 124578 | One tap mobile: +19292056099,,8032543777# US (New York). Join at:
4) Shopping With JAWS and Windows | Access IngenuityDecember 22nd 2021 | 10AM PT, 11AM MT, 12PM CT, 1PM ET, 6PM GMT | It's the holidays! You might still be looking for a last-minute gift. Perhaps you just want to know how a competent screen reader user would search for specific items. Join Ian Ramos and Zhi Huang from Access Ingenuity as they use many of the web browsing tips previously introduced to go shopping on a PC using JAWS. | Meeting ID: 832 9367 4055 | Passcode: 291237 | One tap mobile: +16699009128,,83293674055#,,,,*291237# US (San Jose) | Dial by your location: +1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose):
5) ATHEN (Access Technology Higher Education Network) 1st Annual "Science, Technology, Engineering, Math (STEM) Accessibility: Starting with Math"February 10th 2022 and February 11th 2022 | This virtual conference will take place on February 10th and 11th 2022. We are striving to create a diverse conference where experts can share their best practices, solutions, techniques, etc. for accessing and creating accessible STEM content in higher education. Join us! | Call for Proposal (Google Form) (Open now!) | Brush up by taking a sneak peek into the complexities in creating accessible STEM content in the YouTube video "Factors Involved in Making STEM Content Accessible" (10-minutes). | Conference Details, Dates, Registration, Cost:.
6) Axe-Con 2022March 15th 2022 through March 17th 2022 | Axe-con is an open and inclusive digital accessibility conference that welcomes developers, designers, business users, and accessibility professionals of all experience levels to a new kind of accessibility conference focused on building, testing, and maintaining accessible digital experiences. Register for Axe-Con 2022, it's free! Join us for this three-day, multi-track conference to help further your digital accessibility efforts. Hear from the top experts in the field, for your area of interest with none of the noise. Learn more about why you should attend or get started by saving your seat by registering now:
1) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Listserv Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-listserv-directory.html
2) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Podcast Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-podcast-directory.html
3) Top Tech Tidbits Blind And Visually Impaired Game Directoryhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/blind-and-visually-impaired-technology-game-directory.html
➜ Buy, Sell or Trade
1) FOR SALE: One Humanware Braillenote Touch Plus 32 + AccessoriesListing Date: 11/25/2021 | Price: $2750.00 USD | Condition: Gently used. | Description: Like new. This Humanware Braillenote Touch Plus 32 just hasn't been used much, so selling for half price to a good home. It has it's accessories and is probably the best known notetaker / computer for the blind that can also be used as a 32 cell Braille display. | Contact: Joe via Email JS5lio021@gmail.com ✉ or (425) 298-6834 ☎. |
2) FOR SALE: One Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Ad (Just like this one.)Price: $5.00 USD | Description: List your new, gently-used or refurbished item in FOUR (4) consecutive issues of Top Tech Tidbits for just $5.00 USD. | Buy an Ad: Fill out this short 10-step form ✔ to secure your Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Advertisement today. | Learn more at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/buy-sell-trade.html 🌐 |
Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor Classified Ads:
➜ Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub
If you're like me, you probably have more things to plug into your computer than available ports. That's why we've now added the Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub. Plug it into your laptop and you will get 3 USB ports, SD and Micro SD card slots, a USBC charging port, and an HDMI video port. It's available now for just $29.95:
Sponsor Since: June 11th 2020
Website: https://www.atguys.com/ 🌐
Phone: (269) 216-4798 ☎
Email: email@example.com ✉
Skype: atguys ✆
Twitter: https://twitter.com/atguys (@atguys) ✍
Facebook: https://facebook.com/atguys ✍
About: ATGuys.com. Your access technology experts, home for cool gadgets, accessories, and more. Our products are all tested to work great for blind and visually impaired users but also work just as well for anyone. If there's an item you're looking for, or if you have a question, please don't hesitate to send us a message or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
➜ Subscribe to the Double Tap TV YouTube Channel
Double Tap TV is a weekly tech show on AMI-tv, (also available on CBC Gem in Canada and YouTube). Each week join hosts Steven Scott (@blindguytech) and Marc Aflalo (@marcaflalo) as they help viewers better understand how technology can assist in everyday life. Its tech from an accessible point of view! The show features interviews with some of the biggest names in consumer tech and features up and coming companies and services. Subscribe to the Double Tap TV YouTube Channel today at:
Sponsor Since: December 23rd 2021
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
About: Double Tap TV is a weekly tech show on AMI-tv, (also available on CBC Gem in Canada and YouTube). Each week join hosts Steven Scott (@blindguytech) and Marc Aflalo (@marcaflalo) as they help viewers better understand how technology can assist in everyday life. Its tech from an accessible point of view! The show features interviews with some of the biggest names in consumer tech and features up and coming companies and services.
➜ Order Now! Get The Most Powerful Android Notetaker Available, the BrailleSense 6 From HIMS. It's Simply The Best.
The time is now to get your all-new BrailleSense 6 notetaker, the most powerful and user-friendly notetaker on the market. Running Android 10, with 128 GB of Storage, 6 GB of Memory, and an 8-Core CPU, the BrailleSense 6 is the ultimate braille notetaker. Learn more today at:
Sponsor Since: September 30th 2021
Website: https://hims-inc.com/ 🌐
Shop All Products: https://hims-inc.com/shop-all-products/ 🛒
Phone: (512) 837-2000 ☎
About: HIMS, Inc. is a global manufacturer and distributor that has provided braille, magnification and accessible healthcare devices since 1999.
➜ DannyBoy Portable Smart Phone & Device Stand Save 20% Now $39.99
The DannyBoy Portable Stand holds your Smart Phone stationary so it's camera can view items and documents clearly providing stability for excellent recognition & clarity. Take perfect pictures and scan images. Read documents quickly and easily. Great for anyone with motor disabilities, too! Made with the Blind In Mind! Lightweight & Portable. Ready To Use or Collapses In Seconds. Read All About the DannyBoy Portable Stand at DannyBoy.com in BlindMiceMegaMall.com at:
Sponsor Since: September 23rd 2021
Website: https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/ 🌐
Blind Mice Order Center Phone: (866) 922-8877 ☎
Blind Mice Order Center Hours: 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM CST/CDT (GMT-5) Monday through Friday
Mall Directory of Stores: https://www.blindmicemegamall.com/bmm/shop/Directory 🛒
Join The Today's Cheese Newsletter: Join the Today's Cheese newsletter to get Members' Only sales & Unadvertised Specials from the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. You can save money with these unadvertised specials! Send an email to: TodaysCheese+Subscribe@Groups.io ✉
Blind Mice Swap Shop: Sell, Swap, and Buy. The Mice receive calls everyday asking if we buy or sell used or unwanted items. The Mice don't sell used products but to help our members, we created the Blind Mice Swap Shop! The Blind Mice Swap Shop is the place for Sellers, Traders, & Buyers to find each other! Do you ... have something you don't want anymore... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Got something you just don't use... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Got something new to sell... Post it for sale on the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Provide a service that might be helpful to other Blind and Visually Impaired folks... Post it to the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Have an announcement about an upcoming event beneficial to the Blind & Visually Impaired Community... Post it to the Blind Mice Swap Shop. Joining the Blind Mice Swap Shop is free and as easy as sending an email to: BlindMiceSwapShop+Subscribe@Groups.io ✉
About: Welcome to Blind Mice Mega Mall! The Mall with the Blind In Mind! Blind Mice Mega Mall is designed for use with a screen reader and low vision software for visually impaired shoppers. Each store is an independent business owned / managed by a member of the Blind / Low Vision Community. Please browse & shop the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. You will find great items and unique offerings from our merchants. You help the Blind Community every time you make a purchase from any of the merchants at Blind Mice Mega Mall. Every purchase made at Blind Mice Mega Mall gives back to the Blind and Visually Impaired Community. Proceeds from sales fund the MouseHole Scholarship Program, the Cooking In The Dark Show and The Movie Vault. Blind Mice Mega Mall accepts American Express, Discover, Mastercard, Visa, PayPal, Checks, and Money Orders. Purchase Orders From State Agencies are also welcome.
➜ New Spring Session of Screen Reader User Tester Training Program at the Carroll Center for the Blind
Launch your career in the digital accessibility field! The Carroll Center for the Blind's new 7-week intensive Screen Reader User Tester Training program allows participants to learn and grow their ability to professionally explore, test, and report findings regarding the accessibility of websites, mobile applications, and digital document files using screen readers. Want to learn more? Start your journey to becoming a Screen Reader User Tester by visiting:
Sponsor Since: August 5th 2021
Website: https://carroll.org/ 🌐
Phone: (617) 969-6200 ☎Fax: (617) 969-6204 ░
Shop: https://carroll.org/store/ 🛒
Donate: https://carroll.org/donate ❤
About: The Carroll Center for the Blind is the foremost leader in vision rehabilitation services for individuals confronted by the challenges of vision loss. Our mission is to empower those who are blind or visually impaired to achieve independence and to lead a fulfilling life. Established in 1936, the renowned Carroll Center for the Blind has been serving those with vision impairment for over eight decades; we are known nationally as a premier Vision Rehabilitation Center. Located just outside of Boston on a sprawling campus in Newton, Massachusetts, we proudly serve ALL ages and ALL stages of vision loss. With the ongoing promise of improving the lives of people with vision-related problems, The Carroll Center for the Blind has pioneered many innovative services allowing people who are blind or have low vision to learn the skills to be independent in their homes, in class settings, and in their work places. Our services include vision rehabilitation, vocational and transition programs, assistive technology training, educational support, and recreation opportunities for individuals who are visually impaired of all ages. For over 80 years, the expertise of Carroll Center staff has provided help for thousands of blind and visually impaired persons with diverse opportunities for success and independent living.
➜ Give the Gift of Equal Access!
This holiday season, give the gift of access to the world's most fundamental right, the right to information. Scribe for Personal Documents is a cloud based service that takes previously inaccessible digital material and renders it into accessible formats in seconds. Help out someone in your life whom you know could use the access, or secure the access for yourself here:
Sponsor Since: June 3rd 2021
Website: https://pneumasolutions.com/ 🌐
Email Newsletter: Click here to receive periodic news via email concerning Pneuma Solutions products for business, consumers and education.
Sales: (866) 202-0520 ☎
Support: (650) 249-1000 ☎
About: Backed by two decades of creating award-winning accessible cloud technologies for people with visual impairments, Pneuma Solutions is the global leader in accessible cloud-based solutions. Pneuma Solutions was founded by long-time accessibility developers Mike Calvo and Matt Campbell. For more information on their individual profiles, click on their respective bio pages. We're proud to be the first company to develop cloud-based accessibility at the network level. Our tools provide organizations, like yours, a way to deliver secure, accessible information right from your network or from our secure servers. You can provide your print disabled consumers, students, employees, and citizens with a multitude of accessible options. Additionally, we offer a suite of cloud-based applications to blind and print disabled consumers directly from our website. Our consumer products are designed to make the day-to-day lives of blind and print disabled individuals more accessible and simpler to manage. Access to information is not a privilege, it's a right. It's also your right to obtain affordable, accessible cloud solutions to serve your end user. When organizations like yours implement our tools, together we help make it a more inclusive world for people with disabilities. Want to know more about how we can help you become more inclusive?
Contact us here. We'll be happy to discuss how our tools can help with your accessibility needs.
➜ Freedom Scientific Focus Blue 5th Generation Refreshable Braille Displays
Our world-class refreshable Braille displays deliver efficient Braille input and outstanding output for your PC or mobile device. The robust Bluetooth® connectivity provides seamless use with Windows®, Mac®, iPhones®, iPads®, and AndroidTM smartphones and tablets. Ergonomic navigation features allow quick, natural hand movements for greater productivity. When used with JAWS® screen reading software, they support our popular Braille Study Mode, an interactive tool for teaching and learning Braille. Learn more today:
Sponsor Since: April 15th 2021
Website: https://www.freedomscientific.com/ 🌐
Email: email@example.com ✉
Phone: (800) 444-4443 ☎
About: Freedom Scientific, a Vispero brand, is a leading worldwide brand of assistive technology products for those with vision impairments. We offer products designed to promote independence, allowing blind and low vision individuals the same access to information as their sighted peers. World-renowned JAWS (Job Access With Speech) screen reading software and ZoomText screen magnification software provide users the independence and ability to seek education and obtain or maintain a career after vision loss. Our expansive product line includes both low vision and blindness technology for all aspects of daily living. The wide range of RUBY, TOPAZ, and ONYX desktop and portable video magnifiers are designed for their ease of use and assist with daily activities. Our impressive line of blindness hardware products include refreshable Braille displays and scanning and reading devices, offering many options tailored to fit individual needs.
➜ VisionAware Resources: VisionAware Resources Including the Information and Referral Line?
APH ConnectCenter has resources to help blind and low vision people thrive. In addition to the Reader's Digest Getting Started with Vision Loss Guide You can also call the Information and Referral Line with your questions about resources and living with blindness and low vision.
Sponsor Since: March 4th 2021
Website: https://aphconnectcenter.org/ 🌐
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
APH ConnectCenter Information and Referral Line:
Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM ET
About: The APH ConnectCenter offers curated advice and resources to assist children, parents, adults, and job seekers who are blind or visually impaired, and their associated professionals, leading to greater independence and success in their lives.
➜ BRAILLIANT Renewed! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series is here!
The wait is over! A redefined family of Brailliant refreshable Braille displays has arrived! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series will help you stay connected, download books from many participating online libraries and share information easily with your peers. You will enjoy the intuitive, seamless user experience of KeySoft Lite, the HumanWare flagship accessibility suite designed to make you more productive. Including the Brailliant BI 40X and the Brailliant BI 20X, this is the Brailliant idea you need!
Sponsor Since: February 4th 2021
Website: http://humanware.com/ 🌐
Phone (Asia): +61 2 9686 2600 ☎
YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRWVYiggn-w 🎥
About: HumanWare is the global leader in assistive technology for people who are blind or have low vision. HumanWare offers a wide range of innovative products, including the BrailleNote Touch, first Google certified braille tablet, the iOS compatible Brailliant braille displays, Victor Reader®, the world's leading family of digital audiobook players, the unique Prodigi® family of desktop and portable vision and reading systems, and the ultra-portable explore line of electronic handheld magnifier.
➜ LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired Adaptations Online Store Featured Products
Revolution Cane Tip: Standard Roller Tip: $14.50 | Locator Dots: Small Pack of 6 (Clear or Orange): $2.00 | NFB Metal Cane Tip: $3.00 | TMAP - On Demand Tactile Street | Map (set of two maps): $25.00 | Ambutech Aluminum Folding Cane: $35.00 | NFB Chris Park Telescoping Cane: $45.00 | BoldWriter 20 Pen (Individual or 6-pack): $2.00 | Bump Dots: Mixed (50 count): $7.00 | Braille Apple Catalina VoiceOver Guide OSX 10.15 (3 volumes) - Latest Manual: $52.00 | SpeedDots iPhone Tactile Screen Protector, Phone Layout: $12.00 | NFB Chris Park 7-Piece Folding Cane: $50.00 | Visit https://adaptations.org/ to learn more today!
Sponsor Since: October 1, 2020
Website: https://adaptations.org/ 🌐
Toll Free: (888) 400-8933 ☎
Local: (415) 694-7301 ☎
About: Founded in 1902, San Francisco's LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired promotes the independence, equality and self-reliance of people who are blind or have low vision. Adaptations is your online go-to for tools, technology, and accessible solutions for blind and visually impaired people.
➜ Coding is Easy and Accessible with Colby the Code & Go Robot Mouse
Code & Go Mouse introduces coding concepts and tactile graphics as users program Colby to race through a maze toward the cheese. Colby lights-up, makes sounds, and features two speeds along with colorful buttons for easy programming and sequencing.
Sponsor Since: July 2nd 2020
Website: https://www.aph.org/ 🌐
Toll Free and Customer Support: (800) 223-1839 ☎
Phone: (512) 895-2405 ☎
Fax: (512) 899-2284 ░
YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/WENRlCNDsxQ 🎥
Free Apps & Actions from APH: https://www.aph.org/free-apps-from-aph/ 📱
About: Since 1858, the American Printing House for the Blind has operated in Louisville, Kentucky as the world's largest nonprofit organization, creating accessible learning experiences through educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are blind and visually impaired. APH believes that the future belongs to everyone. By offering innovative products and services, APH opens up a door of opportunities for lifelong independence and success.
➜ GuideLights And Gadgets
(1) Talking medical bundles through end of the year; $150 for 3 items; $100 for two items - incl. shipping. Mystic Access now carries these. (2) New rugged leather 20 cell protective Braille cases for any unit2 easy and comfortable for work when it's in the case; gun case for which we found a better use; why pay over $100 instead of $80 9cl. shipping. (3) RFID full zip around wallet $20 through year end. (4) Buy a 10 pack of our leather squeezy storage pouches for $35.00, great for stocking stuffers. (5) Lots of new hand free neck pouch styles, $20- $40. (6) Air induction and other exciting new headphone choices. For more info, call Barry at (617) 969-7500 ☎ or email him at email@example.com ✉.
Sponsor Since: June 25th 2020
Website: http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/ 🌐
About: Our Scope of Products: We specialize in 3 lines of products, all intended to assist in access to adaptive electronics, enhance experiences for guide dog teams, and offer practical solutions for organization and travel with a variety of leather bags, pouches, and backpacks. Then there are the random products that are included, just for fun! We enjoy working with our customers 1-on-1 to their money is well spent and not wasted on something they may not use. In thinking about our customers and whether we will carry a product our guiding motto is that it must be: practical, affordable, simple, tested, and accessible (the pasta principle) and it seems to work very well.
What We Do: We bring our business either via zoom, phone, or to your conference or convention, to give each customer a chance for questions and where possible, "hands on" evaluation of the merchandise. Kae and I test and use each product as blind users before we put it in our catalog. In the case of products for guide and service dogs, our own three guides, Thor, Debra and Melody, are engaged in the process of evaluating the usefulness, durability, and/or fun of the product. We want each of our products to be useful, accessible, afforable, and, whenever possible, fun! Our inventory is constantly changing, so a visit to us is never the same experience twice!
Top Tech Tidbits is a leading, not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 7,200 Adaptive Technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week.
Top Tech Tidbits offers a total of 12 Sponsorship Packages which are used to support the ongoing distribution of the publication.
There are 0 of 12 packages currently available.
If you would like to become a Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor, but there are no sponsorship packages currently available, we encourage you to join our waiting list by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉.
Once you have joined our waiting list we will notify you the next time a current sponsor decides not to renew. You will then have 72 hours to secure your sponsorship before it is offered to the next sponsor on the list.
When available you can secure one of these packages for just $325.00 USD for the next 3 months, or save $100.00 USD and join us for the year. All Sponsorship Packages are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Please help us to support the ongoing distribution of this publication. Consider showing your support for the world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology while enjoying these incredible benefits. Learn more today at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
Top Tech Tidbits Supporters:
We couldn't do it without you! Thank for your support!
Tidbits Supporters donate an amount of their choosing on an annual basis in order to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication.
If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support.
In tandem with Our Sponsors, these are the people that make the ongoing distribution of Tidbits possible:
1.) Gary Lee
2.) Anonymous Donation
3.) Pshon Barrett
1.) Howard Goldstein
2.) David Goldstein
3.) Katherine Crohan
1.) Your name here. Help support Tidbits today.
1.) Steven Wettlaufer
Top Tech Tidbits Subscription Information:
ABOUT:Founded in 2004, Top Tech Tidbits is a leading not-for-profit Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 7,000 assistive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week. Sign up here. Review the archive here. Adaptive Technology refers to items that are specifically designed for people with disabilities. Adaptive Technology is a subset of Assistive Technology. Adaptive Technology often refers specifically to electronic and information technology access. Top Tech Tidbits is a Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication. Publisher: Aaron Di Blasi. Contributing Editors: John Hanlin, Jenna Lang, Stephen (Alex) Marositz, and Ben Moxey. Top Tech Tidbits is a sponsor and reader supported publication.
RELEASE SCHEDULE:Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday is sent out every Thursday morning at 4:00 AM EST / EDT.
SUBSCRIBE:Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to receive the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter on the Top Tech Tidbits Website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com or by (SMS) texting "TOPTECHTIDBITS" to 22828. Any of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving the Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday Email Newsletter. It's that easy.
SPONSOR:If you would like to become 1 of only 12 Tidbits Sponsors whose annual support makes the distribution of Top Tech Tidbits possible, we offer you the following benefits, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html.
SUPPORT:If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/donate.html.
WEBSITE:Visit the Top Tech Tidbits website online at https://www.toptechtidbits.com.
FACEBOOK:Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Facebook News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/facebook.
TWITTER:Are you on Twitter? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Twitter News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/twitter.
LINKEDIN:Are you on LinkedIn? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your LinkedIn News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/linkedin.
YOUTUBE:Are you on YouTube? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your YouTube Video Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/youtube.
RSS:Do you prefer RSS? Follow Top Tech Tidbits via RSS today to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology using your choice of news aggregator: https://feeds.feedblitz.com/toptechtidbits.
QUESTIONS:Tidbits are intentionally concise. As a result we know that some readers may not always understand all of the items listed because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVEVisit the Top Tech Tidbits Archive at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/archive.html where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT CONTRIBUTORS:Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be submitted online via our Top Tech Tidbit Submission Form at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/submit-tidbit or directed to our Editors at: email@example.com.
|Home: Top Tech Tidbits||News: Top Tech Tidbits||Subscribe: Top Tech Tidbits||Donate: Top Tech Tidbits||Search: Top Tech Tidbits||Facebook: Top Tech Tidbits||Twitter: Top Tech Tidbits||LinkedIn: Top Tech Tidbits||YouTube: Top Tech Tidbits||RSS: Top Tech Tidbits||Back to Top|
Information provided by: