Top Tech Tidbits - Volume 258
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
Distributed by Flying Blind, LLC
This Issue's Featured Advertisement:
Povidi Announces the Availability of the SoundPost Orientation System For North American Customers
Povidi NZ LTD has announced the availability of the SoundPost Orientation System for customers who live in North America. SoundPost is the first orientation solution of its kind offering vision impaired customers an unparalleled means of safely identifying a desired location while traveling throughout their community. SoundPost consists of a hand controller that the user holds to locate strategically placed base stations which can be mounted to doorways, light posts, ambiguous bus stops, etc. For additional information, or to purchase a SoundPost Hand Controller (US$175), Base Station (US$195), or a Kit which includes 1 Hand Controller and 2 Base Stations (US$545), simply visit http://www.flying-blind.com/ and select the appropriate "Add to Cart" button.
1) Learn about new Open Book 9 OCR software and the nbew PEARL camera for fast scanning on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday, 25 May at 00:00.
2) A set of answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ) on the subject of software development by people who are blind or visually impaired is being compiled. The first version has been written by Jamal Mazrui and can be had here:
3) Non-Visual Desktop Access version 2010, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.44 and Accessible Pdf have been added to the Accesswatch review system
4) A visually impaired programmer who uses asp.net has prepared tutorials which can be had at
5) HumanWare offers trade-ins of other notetakers besides their own for people who want to acquire an Apex, at least in the US. For information, write to
6) This Fred's Head post is called "Shopping for unique gift items?" and contains many resources.
7) SeroTalk Tech Chat 62 is entitled "Viewing Tv Through Your Pc or Mac.
For questions and comments regarding Tidbits, please e-mail Dean Martineau at email@example.com. Dean Martineau provides adaptive technology training by phone, online, and in person, with flexible arrangements, and at affordable prices.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of the Top Tech Tidbits and Adaptech Insider Newsletters? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this newly-available option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (but make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and I will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the Tidbits archive at https://www.toptechtidbits.com/tidbits2010.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can come to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can subscribe to Top Tech Tidbits on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com. Here you will find an accessibly friendly and secure form into which you can enter your email address, click submit, and begin receiving Tidbits weekly. It's that easy.
| Flying Blind, LLC | 955 Pembrook Road | Cleveland Heights, Ohio 44121 |