Top Tech Tidbits - Volume 274
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
Distributed by Flying Blind, LLC
This Issue's Featured Advertisement: E-Blink Showcase Presents One BrailleNote PK for USD $2,000.00!
This refurbished, smallest member of the BrailleNote Family has 18 cells, and packs a lot of power within a tiny package. This BrailleNote PK is in great condition and needs a great home. Price includes shipping & handling within the continental (48 contiguous) United States. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call +1 (216) 381-8107 for additional details. This is a single unit that will be sold on a first come, first serve basis.
1) The Gizmo site now has a Tips section which seems to be receiving lots of new material
2) Submitting Comments to the FCC on Cell Phone Accessibility is the topic for SeroTalk Tech Chat 67:
3) SeroTalk Podcast 49 dealt with New Apple Products, Amazon Kindle 3 and Talking Android Phone
4) The crew at SerotTalk will enlarge on the theme of accessible Android phones in Tech Chat 68 on GMT Friday, 10 September at 01:00.
5) Speaking of accessible phones, a considerable breakthrough seems to have occurred at Verizon, where they have come out with the Samsung Heaven with full speech for all the phone's capabilities except e-mail and the web. It reads text messages, and can be had quite affordably. this is the link for a lengthy podcast demonstrating all the phone's features:
6) The public beta of JAWS version 12 is out, featuring contracted braille input, a new way of organizing JAWS settings, and a simplified and clarified ribbon bar for Microsoft Office.
7) Learn about what is new with Apple IOS4, and new things keep coming all the time, on Tek Talk on GMT Tuesday, 13 September at 00:00.
8) Shaun Everiss is preparing a podcast on the history of the talking book from its inception to the present. He is looking for information about players that have existed. If you have information or links to share with him, write to
9) A reader suggests that those looking for mobile phones for seniors and people with low vision check out Consumer Cellular, which resells Doro phones, said to be large-button, easy-to-use phones from Sweden.
For questions and comments regarding Tidbits, please e-mail Dean Martineau at email@example.com. Dean Martineau provides adaptive technology training by phone, online, and in person, with flexible arrangements, and at affordable prices.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of the Top Tech Tidbits and Adaptech Insider Newsletters? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this newly-available option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (but make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and I will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the Tidbits archive at https://www.toptechtidbits.com/tidbits2010.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can come to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can subscribe to Top Tech Tidbits on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com. Here you will find an accessibly friendly and secure form into which you can enter your email address, click submit, and begin receiving Tidbits weekly. It's that easy.
| Flying Blind, LLC | 955 Pembrook Road | Cleveland Heights, Ohio 44121 |