Top Tech Tidbits - Volume 283
The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
Distributed by Flying Blind, LLC
This Issue's Featured Advertisement: E-Blink Showcase Presents One Voice Sense Accessible PDA for only USD $1,595.00!
This notetaking solution is the smallest accessible PDA option with speech output on the market to date. Effortlessly use this device to take notes, surf the internet, send and receive e-mails, and connect to wireless networks and Bluetooth devices while using a Perkins-style Braille keyboard. Unit is only a few months old, has the latest VoiceSense software and operating system, and has been hardly used. So take advantage of this 20% savings off the suggested list price. Please e-mail email@example.com or call +1 (216) 381-8107 for additional details. This is a single unit that will be sold on a first come, first serve basis.
I may be interested in procuring working legacy notetakers with braille displays. Write to firstname.lastname@example.org if you might want to part with one.
1) NVDA 2010.2 is now released, Includes Improved reviewing capability from number pad, Better support for adobe flash content, Support for reading table headers in Firefox, And other miscellaneous fixes and improvements
2) On the Blind Bargains App page, you can find a window-Eyes script and a JAWS Research-it script, both of us give users of those screen readers easy access to search for bargains.
3) AccessWorld from American Foundation for the Blind is now published monthly. The November, 2010 issue features lots of gift ideas and reviews of shopping web sites for people with impaired vision, accessibility reviews of the Samsung Haven from Verizon and of the Kindle 3, and more.
4) AFB is seeking participants for 2 important focus groups on the accessibility of Conference Calls and Webinars. A November 30 conference call is scheduled for individuals who use screen readers and a December first conference call is scheduled for those who use screen magnification. Each 2 hour session is scheduled for 8:00 Eastern Time, (01:00 GMT the following day. a $30 honorarium is provided. to learn more and participate visit
5) There is a new Mac-cessibility Round Table podcast, discussing FaceTime for the Mac, iLife 11 accessibility enhancements, (including GarageBand), and more.
6) SeroTalk Podcast 54 discusses Speeding Up Screen Readers with Antivirus Software, lots of miscellaneous tech news and system Access on a U3 Drive
7) The topic for Tech chat 76 was Computer Security
8) Users or potential users of Blackberries with the Oratio screen reader can get information and resources from this site:
or join the Google Group on the topic
9) The Lighthouse for the Blind in Seattle seeks a Computer Training Program supervisor.
For questions and comments regarding Tidbits, please e-mail Dean Martineau at email@example.com. Dean Martineau provides adaptive technology training by phone, online, and in person, with flexible arrangements, and at affordable prices.
Would you like to receive text-only versions of the Top Tech Tidbits and Adaptech Insider Newsletters? If so, find the link at the bottom of each Newsletter titled "Update Profile/E-Mail Address", and check this newly-available option.
Feel free to forward individual Tidbits, or the entire tidbits issue, to interested people (but make sure they don't already receive it; a lot do!) When doing this, please have the courtesy to cite your source, perhaps directing them to the Tidbits archive (see below.)
Tidbits is intentionally concise, and we know a lot of people may not understand some items because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and I will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
Visit the Tidbits archive at https://www.toptechtidbits.com/tidbits2010.html where you can grab back issues. All that welcome information for future issues can come to me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You can subscribe to Top Tech Tidbits on the Flying Blind, LLC Website at: http://www.flying-blind.com. Here you will find an accessibly friendly and secure form into which you can enter your email address, click submit, and begin receiving Tidbits weekly. It's that easy.
| Flying Blind, LLC | 955 Pembrook Road | Cleveland Heights, Ohio 44121 |