Top Tech Tidbits for Thursday, April 8, 2021 - Volume 801The Week's News in Adaptive Technology
A Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication
Top Tech Tidbits. The world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology.
This Week's Featured Advertisement: Top Tech Tidbits. The World's #1 Adaptive Technology Publication. Become A Future Sponsor By Joining Our Waiting List Today!
This issue made possible by sponsorship support from: Dean Martineau @ TopTechTidbits.com, John Panarese @ MacForTheBlind.com, A.T. Guys @ ATGuys.com, Barry Scheur @ GuideLightsAndGadgets.us, American Printing House @ APH.org, LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired Adaptations Online Store @ Adaptations.org, Be My Eyes @ BeMyEyes.com, Vorail @ Vorail.com, Dolphin Computer Access @ YourDolphin.com, HumanWare @ HumanWare.com, and APH ConnectCenter @ APHConnectCenter.org.
Dear Tidbits Subscriber,
1) Top 5 Most Clicked Tidbits From Last WeekA.) CNET Brings Us "Every Alexa Command You Can Give Your Amazon Echo Smart Speaker or Display": (7.4% of all clicks.)
B.) Neuroscientists Unveil Tech for the Vision Impaired: Bionic Eyes, Textured Tablets and More: (7.4% of all clicks.)
C.) The Ultimate List of Mac Keyboard Shortcuts: (5.6% of all clicks.)
D.) March 2021 Issue of AccessWorld: (5.4% of all clicks.)
E.) A Complete Guide To Accessible Front-End Components: (4.1% of all clicks.)
2) No Tidbits Last Week :( So We're A Little Beefy This Week :)No, it wasn't your imagination. Or your spam filter. For a change. Due to the overwhelmingly positive response to the new Tidbits format there has been an absolute explosion of content being submitted each week. This new content, in turn, created an over 500% increase in the amount of traffic to the Top Tech Tidbits website. We therefore had to perform some upgrades that would allow the Tidbits website to continue serving up Tidbits without so much as a cough. We were supposed to have completed these upgrades in time to get the April 1st 2021 issue out, but it just did not work out that way. So we made the decision to hold last week's issue, and return this week with the upgrades complete. Which they now are. We sincerely appreciate your patience and hope you enjoy this week's somewhat beefier than usual edition. Now on to Tidbits!
3) Ask Alexa | How To Adjust The Alexa Sound Equalizer Using Direct Voice CommandsThe Alexa Equalizer allows you to adjust the treble (higher frequencies), midrange (frequencies associated with voices), and bass (lower frequencies) to tailor the sound to suit your room and listening preferences. While music plays on a compatible Echo device you can use the Alexa voice assistant to adjust various settings. For example, you can say: Alexa, turn up the bass. Alexa, set the base to 6. Alexa, increase treble. Or Alexa, set midrange to 6. If you want to adjust the settings using a specific number, which we recommend, the range goes from -6 to +6 decibels.
4) Top Tech Tidbits Says Thank You and Wishes Farewell to Sponsor Donna JodhanFrom all of us here at Top Tech Tidbits we would like to extend our sincerest thanks to Author and Sight Loss Coach Donna Jodhan for her generous support of Tidbits over the last year. We are also excited to announce that Donna's former Sponsorship Package has been secured by a new sponsor from our waiting list and their name will be announced next week. If you would like to become a Tidbits Sponsor in the future we encourage you to join our waiting list today by sending an email to:
5) JAWS Power Tip: Finding Running Spaces and Font Changeshttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/18.html
6) ZoomText Power Tip: Save and Restore a View with Hotkeyshttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/19.html
7) JAWS with Microsoft Office Power Tip: Turning Off the Backstage Menuhttps://www.toptechtidbits.com/20.html
8) Introducing The All New Top Tech Tidbits Blind and Visually Impaired Technology Podcast DirectoryThis new BVI directory, akin to our recent addition of the BVI Listserv Directory, is intended to provide readers with a list of podcasts related to blindness and/or visual impairment technology, both old and new, that they might find useful. You may only submit your podcast to this directory once. Individual episodes of recent podcasts will still be chosen by Tidbits Editors for inclusion within the Podcasts section of the newsletter each week. If you are the administrator of a Podcast dedicated to the discussion of Assistive Technology and would like to have your Podcast included in this directory please fill out and submit this short form today:
9) 5 Useful Terminal Tricks for Mac UsersTurns out you can do a lot of things faster, easier, and with more room for customization - just by peeking under the hood:
10) The Best Gmail Settings You Might Not Have Used YetAlmost all of us have an account. Most of us use it every day. But if you peel back the curtain a little, you'll find some powerful tools buried underneath:
11) You Definitely Need These 11 Essential Apple Watch AppsWhile this article is not accessibility-specific, each of these tools will supercharge the capabilities of your Apple wearable:
12) HIMS BrailleSense 6 OverviewA recent video from the company about this forthcoming Android device has been described as well-done:
13) Siri Shortcuts iOS Power Users Will LoveHere are some shortcuts, both from Apple and otherwise, that you might want to consider implementing:
14) Controlling Windows With a Braille Entry Keyboard:This is a new power capability of Leasey:
15) Hartgen Consultancy JAWS Tips and Tricks PageThere are only five here now but the number will apparently grow, so have a look:
16) AppleVis Unlimited: What's New and Noteworthy for March 2021The best way to keep abreast:
17) The Blind PodMakerA mailing list, a podcast and weekly chats on a new and increasingly popular social medium: Clubhouse, all about helping blind people create podcasts:
18) Free 2021 National Coding SymposiumThis event targets middle and high-school students, parents, teachers and adaptive technology instructors. Co-sponsored by American Printing House and the California School for the Blind, it runs from May 11th 2021 to May 14th 2021. Emphasis is on accessibility of the coding process. Recordings will be posted to the APH YouTube Channel afterwards. This site has details and registration information:
19) Scribe for Meetings Is Out Of Beta And Now Available WorldwideRead about it here:
20) Text Transcripts from Braillists FoundationTranscripts of six "masterclasses" are now available, with more to follow:
21) Excel with Microsoft ExcelThis insightful post comes to us from Web Friendly Help:
22) GoodMaps Has Great Plans for 2021Read about the present and future of this free navigation app for iOS and Android:
23) Windows 10 Spring 2021 Update: Every New Feature, When to Download and MoreCourtesy of CNET:
24) The Fast Food Approach To Web AccessibilityThere has been much discussion of late about "Accessibility Overlays" and the companies that provide and promote them. In addition to being the Publisher of Tidbits I (Aaron Di Blasi) am also a web developer. I have come across these overlays "in-code" and my experience with them was the very same as reported here in this very well written prospectus on the issue from Pneuma Solutions:
25) JAWS, ZoomText and Fusion April 2021 UpdatesYou can now review the April 2021 updates for JAWS, ZoomText or Fusion on each of their respective product release pages.
26) Freedom Scientific JAWS Speech and Sound Schemes ContestJAWS and Fusion users can enter to create a speech and sound scheme that willl appear in the next version of JAWS. Quality submissions will be considered for integration into the JAWS 2022 release later this year. Winners will receive a $100 Amazon gift card and will be announced on their blog sometime during the last week of June 2021. Submissions must be received no later than May 15th 2021. Everyone will have an opportunity to try each submission and vote on their favorite scheme at that time. Visit the Speech and Sounds Contest page below for all the details and to fill out the form to submit a scheme. Please note that only U.S. participants are eligible to win. And Vispero employees are not eligible to win:
27) AMI Launches Fully Accessible Android AMI-TV App for the Blind and Partially Sighted CommunityAccessible Media, Inc. has announced the launch of the accessible Android version of the AMI-TV App, created especially for the blind and partially sighted community. It is available now for download on the Google Play Store:
1) Hadley Presents: A Conversation With The Experts | Back in the Kitchen After Vision LossApril 2nd 2021 Classically trained chef Regina Mitchell shares how vision loss shaped her life. Regina worked her way back into the kitchen and is now helping others cook with confidence, no matter their vision:
2) Outdoors with Lawrence Gunther 22 | Maple Syrup and the World Wide WebApril 2nd 2021 Spring has sprung, and in eastern Canada this means maple syrup season! Ms. Lilly schools us on how trees are way more like animals than we ever imagined. The Vanier Sugar Shack is our bucket list destination where we learn all about the indigenous and francophone connections to maple syrup. Learn tips on how to tell exactly when sap becomes syrup during the cooking process, and reflect on what trees can teach us about embracing diversity. It's all in episode 22 of Outdoors with Lawrence Gunther – starting with facts about the "wood wide web".:
3) Mosen At Large 110April 3rd 2021 New Siri voices, ableist use of the word "blind" in the media, cochlea implants, iOS hints and more:
4) Blind Android Users 17 | Fun With Android Keyboards and TaskerApril 4th 2021
5) Say My Meme | GIF Me A BreakApril 5th 2021 | Whether it's casually dropped in a text or mispronounced like the peanut butter, the GIF can be an elusive animal. This week on the podcast, Caroline and Will discuss GIF accessibility, and describe five popular GIFs ranging from The Rock to the girl who jumps like a horse:
6) Blind Tech Guys 80 | Lean Crew Talks DocsApril 6th 2021 | On this week's episode, Nimer continues our current series on web apps accessibility by running through Google Docs, and in our Did You Know Section, we continue exploring settings on both Android and iPhone:
7) Be My Eyes Podcast | Inside The Mind of a Blind PsychologistApril 6th 2021
8) Eyes on Success 2115 | Coping with Vision LossApril 7th 2021 | Paul Wallis is a low vision optometrist whose treatment relies on dealing with the psychological adjustment to vision loss before engaging patients in the use of adaptive aids. Hosts Nancy and Peter Torpey talk with him about types of vision loss, his methods, as well as about his book "Macular Degeneration: A guide to help someone you love":
➜ Webinars and Training Courses (Upcoming)
1) Free Training Webinars by Enhanced Vision | Merlin Ultra, Full HD Video MagnifierApril 8th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 5PM GMT | Are you looking for an affordable desktop magnifier with crystal clear images and vibrant color? Want a wide field of view with amazing detail? If so, we'd like to introduce you to the Merlin ultra on Thursday, April 8 at noon Eastern time. We'll demo a Merlin ultra and show you how to make the most of its features:
2) NOAT (Network of Assistive Technologists) Webinar | Part 1 of 3 CNIB Frontier Accessibility Vision ShowcaseApril 9th 2021 | 10:30AM PT, 11:30AM MT, 12:30PM CT, 1:30PM ET, 6:30 PM GMT | Meet the key players and learn about available products and services for Canadians who are blind or partially sighted. join Andrea Voss from CNIB Frontier Accessibility as she leads a three part series showcasing CNIB Frontier Accessibility and their various programs, plus their partnerships with Eschenbach, Humanware, and Vispero:
3) Technology User Group (TUG) Voice Dream Suite DemonstrationApril 10th 2021 | 7AM PT, 8AM MT, 9AM CT, 10AM ET, 3PM GMT | Voice Dream Suite is a suite of products that work with your smart devices and offer a scanner for OCR, a reader for many types of documentation, and a writer for creating documents and letters. What sets the Voice Dream Suite apart from similar apps is ease of use. Voice Dream Suite is not free, so you will need to decide if the cost is worth the benefit. You do not have to RSVP for this event. The presentation will last about 90 minutes and may be joined by calling:
(319) 527-4994 ☎
4) Virtual Event | Retail Therapy? Let's Go Shopping!April 10th 2021 | 8AM PT, 9AM MT, 10AM CT, 11AM ET, 4PM GMT | It's time for new things for Spring! Ready for a little retail therapy? Let's Go Shopping! We invite you to join us for an all-day, online, accessible, virtual mall crawl like no other. Zoom in to our virtual shopping mall and discover small businesses offering everything from food to fashion, gadgets to gifts, beauty to subscription boxes, tech to treasures for Mother's Day, birthdays, graduation, Father's Day, and just for you! Save the date! 8AM to 5PM Pacific Time. Where: Our Zoom virtual mall. How to join us: Get on our announce list by sending a blank email to: email@example.com ✉ and you will be subscribed to the email list. Why subscribe to the list? It's the only way to get your Zoom room login link and password. Not comfortable with using Zoom? No problem! We'll provide you with phone numbers you can use to call in to listen to our fabulous vendors present their products. Plus, by adding your name to the group email announce list, you'll get access to special promotions, discounts, and even door prizes! Want more info? Go to the Let's Go Shopping main information page at:
https://accessibleinsights.info/blog/lets-go-shopping/ for more details
5) Tek Talk Webinar (Zoom) | ChromebookApril 13th 2021 | 5PM PT, 6PM MT, 7PM CT, 8PM ET, 12AM GMT | Learn about Chromebooks and tutorials to use them. Join here:
6) Cracking the Code, Tips for Reading PDFs with JAWS (Zoom)April 15th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 4PM GMT | This is a Freedom Scientific webinar. Register here:
7) NOAT (Network of Assistive Technologists) Webinar | Part 2 of 3 CNIB Frontier Accessibility Vision ShowcaseApril 16th 2021 | 10:30AM PT, 11:30AM MT, 12:30PM CT, 1:30PM ET, 6:30 PM GMT | Meet the key players and learn about available products and services for Canadians who are blind or partially sighted. join Andrea Voss from CNIB Frontier Accessibility as she leads a three part series showcasing CNIB Frontier Accessibility and their various programs, plus their partnerships with Eschenbach, Humanware, and Vispero:
8) TPGi Webinar | ARC Test Initiatives & the API: Aligning Accessibility Goals with DevOps to Achieve MoreApril 20th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 5PM GMT | Are you fed up with remediating accessibility issues after they crop up during integration testing? Have you found it difficult to prevent and resolve accessibility issues at the earliest stages of software development? Join Kurt Mattes, Senior Accessibility Engineer with TPGi's ARC Platform, to learn about ARC's Test Initiatives and API.
9) NOAT (Network of Assistive Technologists) Webinar | Part 3 of 3 CNIB Frontier Accessibility Vision ShowcaseApril 23rd 2021 | 10:30AM PT, 11:30AM MT, 12:30PM CT, 1:30PM ET, 6:30 PM GMT | Meet the key players and learn about available products and services for Canadians who are blind or partially sighted. join Andrea Voss from CNIB Frontier Accessibility as she leads a three part series showcasing CNIB Frontier Accessibility and their various programs, plus their partnerships with Eschenbach, Humanware, and Vispero:
10) TPGi Webinar | Crystal Ball 2021: Predictions for the ADA Title III Digital Accessibility LandscapeApril 27th 2021 | 9AM PT, 10AM MT, 11AM CT, 12PM ET, 5PM GMT | In this webinar, Seyfarth's ADA Title III Team leaders will address how the pandemic has affected the ADA Title III landscape, how the Biden Administration will likely approach ADA Title III enforcement, and what we expect in 2021 and beyond for legal actions over digital accessibility:
11) Microsoft 2021 Ability SummitMay 5th & 6th 2021 | The Microsoft Ability Summit is a two-day, free digital event experience that brings together people with disabilities, allies, and accessibility professionals to Imagine, Build, Include, and Empower the future of disability inclusion and accessibility. We encourage all to join and spread the word. Registration will open in March. In the meantime, learn more and check out the Ability Summit 2021 announcement video here:
12) Free 2021 National Coding SymposiumMay 11th 2021 to May 14th 2021 | This event targets middle and high-school students, parents, teachers and adaptive technology instructors. Co-sponsored by American Printing House and the California School for the Blind, emphasis is on accessibility of the coding process. Recordings will be posted to the APH YouTube Channel afterwards. Details and registration information here:
13) National Federation of the Blind 2021 National ConventionJuly 6th 2021 through July 10th 2021 | Register for free to attend the largest gathering of blind people and take advantage of the opportunity to network with thousands of blind role models, connect with leaders in the field of blindness, attend presentations on a variety of empowering topics, and learn about the latest in technology and innovation. Learn more and register here:
1) Access Technology in the WorkplaceClose Date: May 1st 2021 | Open Date: Now Open | Survey Information: a. The NRTC is recruiting people with blindness or low vision (age 21+) who are working or interested in working to be part of a 5-year study about access technology (AT) use, particularly in the workplace. Some questions we will seek answers to are: i. What AT do you most commonly use? ii. How do you decide whether to use a specific AT? iii. What are your AT challenges? iv. What AT do you need that isn't currently available? b. We want to know YOUR thoughts and experiences! Participation will involve completing multiple surveys to help us determine how AT use is changing over time. Fill out the online pre-screening survey to see if you qualify! 5. Survey Rewards Offered: a. if selected from this pre-screening survey, you'll receive a small gift card after completing each survey. Additionally, the NRTC will share study results with participants:
➜ Press Releases and Other News
1) March 2021 Freedom Scientific Student of the MonthThe Freedom Scientific Student of the Month Program features K-12 students living in the U.S. who are blind or visually impaired and use Freedom Scientific technology to achieve educational goals. The Student of the Month for March 2021 is Kai, a second grader from California:
2) Uber Ordered to Pay $1.1M After Denying Blind Passenger Rides 14 TimesUber has been ordered to pay $1.1 million to a blind passenger after an independent arbitrator ruled that the company's drivers discriminated against her after refusing her rides on 14 separate occasions:
3) Blind and Visually Impaired Teens Adapt to Zoom for Social ActivitiesWhen nearly everything went virtual and the term "lockdown" was newly abuzz last spring, Stephanie Hurd and Ryan Menter began asking how they would modify their teen programming for Future in Sight, a nonprofit that provides education, rehabilitation and social services to those who are blind or visually impaired:
4) 'Our Hands Are Part of Our Vision': Nevada Mother Describes Living Visually Impaired During PandemicRemember when you first went to the grocery store at the start of the pandemic and all the aisles were turned into one-way only? Now imagine doing that as a person who is visually impaired:
➜ Buy, Sell or Trade
1) FOR SALE: One Humanware Braillenote Touch+ 32Listing Date: 3/25/2021 | Price: $4,850.00 USD | Condition: Gently used. | Description: Rarely used like new. Proprietary keysoft and Android software. Braille keyboard, touch screen & speech output. Wireless and Bluetooth capability. Google Playstore. Original packaging with charger, earbuds & quick reference manual. Free US shipping. | Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉ or (781) 883-1076 ☎ |
1) FOR SALE: One Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Ad (Just like this one.)Price: $5.00 USD | Description: List your new, gently-used or refurbished item in FOUR (4) consecutive issues of Top Tech Tidbits for just $5.00 USD. | Buy an Ad: Fill out this short 10-step form ✔ to secure your Buy, Sell or Trade Classified Advertisement today. | Learn more at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/buy-sell-trade.html 🌐 |
Top Tech Tidbits Sponsor Classified Ads:
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
John Panarese, Apple Certified Support Professional, Apple Certified Trainer
High profile Apple trainer and consultant John Panarese is teaming up with Apple Certified Support Professional Donna Jodhan to offer you a very rare and unique opportunity! Yes! An opportunity for you to say what is on your mind! Coming on May 22nd 2021! Your chance to provide feedback to Apple about their iOS devices and Mac Computers! Stay tuned for more info! To learn more about John and his incredible work visit him at:
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
Website: https://www.macfortheblind.com/ 🌐
Donate Course Time: https://donorbox.org/macfortheblind ❤
Email: email@example.com ✉
About: Macfortheblind.com is a place specifically for blind people who are either users or potential users of Macintosh computers or iOS devices, such as the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, iPod Nano, Apple Watch and Apple TV. I am a blind individual who has used the Mac ever since VoiceOver became available in OS 10.4 Tiger, and I own an iMac, Mac Mini, Mac Book Pro laptop computer, an iPhone 6S, an iPad Air, an Apple Watch and an Apple TV 4th Generation. In addition, I am an Authorized Apple Business Affiliate, and as an Apple Certified Support Professional and an Apple Certified Trainer, I offer training and technical support for individuals, agencies and organizations on the mac and all iDevices, as well as offering assistive technology consulting.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Would you like to learn to control your computer with your voice, or to create documents using your voice rather than the keyboard? There are several tools to accomplish these objectives. I can provide training in their use. Write to me if interested at:
Editor, Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter
Sponsor Since: June 4th 2020
Website: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/ 🌐
About: Dean Martineau is the Founder and a Contributing Editor to the Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
VisionAware Resources Including the Information and Referral LineAPH ConnectCenter has resources to help blind and low vision people thrive. In addition to the Reader's Digest Getting Started with Vision Loss Guide You can also call the Information and Referral Line at 1-800-232-5463 ☎ with your questions about resources and living with blindness and low vision:
Sponsor Since: March 4th 2021
Website: https://aphconnectcenter.org/ 🌐
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
APH ConnectCenter Information and Referral Line:
Hours: Monday - Friday from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM ET
About: The APH ConnectCenter offers curated advice and resources to assist children, parents, adults, and job seekers who are blind or visually impaired, and their associated professionals, leading to greater independence and success in their lives.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
BRAILLIANT Renewed! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series is here!
The wait is over! A redefined family of Brailliant refreshable Braille displays has arrived! The NEW Brailliant BI X Series will help you stay connected, download books from many participating online libraries and share information easily with your peers. You will enjoy the intuitive, seamless user experience of KeySoft Lite, the HumanWare flagship accessibility suite designed to make you more productive. Including the Brailliant BI 40X and the Brailliant BI 20X, this is the Brailliant idea you need!
Sponsor Since: February 4th 2021
Website: http://humanware.com/ 🌐
Phone (Asia): +61 2 9686 2600 ☎
YouTube Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRWVYiggn-w 🎥
About: HumanWare is the global leader in assistive technology for people who are blind or have low vision. HumanWare offers a wide range of innovative products, including the BrailleNote Touch, first Google certified braille tablet, the iOS compatible Brailliant braille displays, Victor Reader®, the world's leading family of digital audiobook players, the unique Prodigi® family of desktop and portable vision and reading systems, and the ultra-portable explore line of electronic handheld magnifier.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
SuperNova — It's Magnification and So Much More
The SuperNova family of tools meet the needs of anyone with a visual impairment because you can get the version that's right for you-should your needs change, you won't need to change your tool. Plus, they include features you can't find anywhere else; true touchscreen functionality, interactive whiteboard compatibility, bold font and image sharpening, low computer resource requirements and remote access for Citrix and other desktop services! Try a FREE Download for 30 days!
Sponsor Since: January 28th 2021
Website: https://yourdolphin.com/ 🌐
Phone (USA & Canada): +1 (866) 797-5921 ☎
Phone (UK, Europe & Asia): +44 01905 754577 ☎
Phone (Nordic & Baltic Contries): +46 0515 82175 ☎
Download a FREE 30-Day Trial of GuideConnect
Download a FREE 30-Day Trial of SuperNova
About: Dolphin Computer Access offers a wide array of solutions for students, people in the workforce, and at home who are blind, visually impaired or have dyslexia. Each product is purposefully designed to help users, with varying levels of technology experience, do everyday things EASILY on computers and tablets. Founded in 1986 and located in Worcester England, Dolphin has grown to become a global market leader worldwide.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
The true beauty of a person lies within and if you hear our voices, you'll quickly understand.
24-hour peer-to-peer tech support in voice, and much more. Get answers to just about anything you need to know, whether it is blindness related or not, and make incredible friends. Follow who you like, mute those you don't. We're not alone in this blindness thing. Ask-alls range from "How to do X from an accessibility standpoint?" to "What do you keep in your bed other than yourself?" to "What word would you use to describe 2020? to "What word to describe your hopes for 2021?". Vorail is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.
Sponsor Since: January 21st 2021
Website: https://www.vorail.com/toptechtidbits/ 🌐
Download The App (iOS):
Download The App (Android):
Mission: Vorail is the only platform in the world for the low vision and blind community where everybody can join conversations by voice on equal footing. Every day members of the Vorail community create ask-alls (questions) about life (news, health, technology, religion, sports and more) that allow us to see the world differently, and connect in a way that is deeper than 'liking' a photo. Vorail is an audio-only experience, voice is the window into a human soul. It does not matter if you are tall, short, wide, thin, white, or black when nobody sees your picture. Without the visuals, what counts is who you are, the person inside. That is the mission of Vorail, to create an extended family where we are judged for who we are, not what we look like.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Accessible Pharmacy Joins Be My Eyes
Accessible Pharmacy, the new, home delivery pharmacy with a blind founder, is bringing its full range of support and services to Be My Eyes. Users of the Be My Eyes app can now call Accessible Pharmacy directly to get support with medication, medical devices, and even home delivery COVID testing. With a fully trained and discreet pharmacy staff on call from 10:00 AM to 3:00 PM Pacific, Accessible Pharmacy is the new way for blind and low vision consumers to get an easy, frictionless pharmacy experience. Call today — and you'll never have to take an Uber to the drugstore again.
Lead Contact: Will Butler, VP of Community
Sponsor Since: November 5th 2020
Website: https://www.bemyeyes.com/ 🌐
Download The App (iOS):
Download The App (Android):
About: Be My Eyes is a free mobile app that allows anyone who needs video support to get assistance from a dynamic range of volunteers and company customer support professionals from around the world. With more than 4 million volunteers and dozens of companies offering on-demand visual interpretation and support, Be My Eyes is a free, unlimited way to bridge gaps and get access to whatever information you need — 24 hours a day, seven days a week, in any language. Download the app today from the Apple App Store or Google Play.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired Adaptations Online Store Featured Products
Revolution Cane Tip: Standard Roller Tip: $14.50 | Locator Dots: Small Pack of 6 (Clear or Orange): $2.00 | NFB Metal Cane Tip: $3.00 | TMAP - On Demand Tactile Street | Map (set of two maps): $25.00 | Ambutech Aluminum Folding Cane: $35.00 | NFB Chris Park Telescoping Cane: $45.00 | BoldWriter 20 Pen (Individual or 6-pack): $2.00 | Bump Dots: Mixed (50 count): $7.00 | Braille Apple Catalina VoiceOver Guide OSX 10.15 (3 volumes) - Latest Manual: $52.00 | SpeedDots iPhone Tactile Screen Protector, Phone Layout: $12.00 | NFB Chris Park 7-Piece Folding Cane: $50.00 | Visit https://adaptations.org/ to learn more today!
Sponsor Since: October 1, 2020
Website: https://adaptations.org/ 🌐
Toll Free: (888) 400-8933 ☎
Local: (415) 694-7301 ☎
About: Founded in 1902, San Francisco's LightHouse for the Blind and Visually Impaired promotes the independence, equality and self-reliance of people who are blind or have low vision. Adaptations is your online go-to for tools, technology, and accessible solutions for blind and visually impaired people.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Where does your imagination take you? Embark on an audio adventure with APH and Audiojack - an app for iOS and Android devices, comprised only of sound designs that tell a story for your imagination!
Perfect for all ages, Audiojack's sound-based movies promote fun and creativity in educational, medical, and therapeutic settings. Choose from a variety of categories and activities to suit your needs. Learn more at:
Sponsor Since: July 2nd 2020
Website: https://www.aph.org/ 🌐
Toll Free and Customer Support: (800) 223-1839 ☎
Phone: (512) 895-2405 ☎
Fax: (512) 899-2284 ░
YouTube Video: https://youtu.be/WENRlCNDsxQ 🎥
Free Apps & Actions from APH: https://www.aph.org/free-apps-from-aph/ 📱
About: Since 1858, the American Printing House for the Blind has operated in Louisville, Kentucky as the world's largest nonprofit organization, creating accessible learning experiences through educational, workplace, and independent living products and services for people who are blind and visually impaired. APH believes that the future belongs to everyone. By offering innovative products and services, APH opens up a door of opportunities for lifelong independence and success.
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
GuideLights And Gadgets
Listen from 4 to 5 PM EDT on April 10th 2021 for Barry on LGS5 with some exciting new products: a telescopic cane you can trust! Our first leather "Gadbag" or "Crap Carrier" (Your choice of name.) Cases to fit every Braille display; Our accurate non-contact talking infrared thermometer, $50, also cuff and wrist talking blood pressure models; demos at: https://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/. Our new loaded Evo 10 Daisy Player with Internet and FM Radio, Podcatcher, audio editor, Ivona voices, and lots more; $230 with Mystic Access 10 hour tutorial; New adjustable size phone case. | Call Barry: (617) 969-7500 ☎; email@example.com ✉
Sponsor Since: June 25th 2020
Website: http://www.guidelightsandgadgets.us/ 🌐
About: Our Scope of Products: We specialize in 3 lines of products, all intended to assist in access to adaptive electronics, enhance experiences for guide dog teams, and offer practical solutions for organization and travel with a variety of leather bags, pouches, and backpacks. Then there are the random products that are included, just for fun! We enjoy working with our customers 1-on-1 to their money is well spent and not wasted on something they may not use. In thinking about our customers and whether we will carry a product our guiding motto is that it must be: practical, affordable, simple, tested, and accessible (the pasta principle) and it seems to work very well.
What We Do: We bring our business either via zoom, phone, or to your conference or convention, to give each customer a chance for questions and where possible, "hands on" evaluation of the merchandise. Kae and I test and use each product as blind users before we put it in our catalog. In the case of products for guide and service dogs, our own three guides, Thor, Debra and Melody, are engaged in the process of evaluating the usefulness, durability, and/or fun of the product. We want each of our products to be useful, accessible, afforable, and, whenever possible, fun! Our inventory is constantly changing, so a visit to us is never the same experience twice!
➜ This Week's Classified Ad:
Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub
If you're like me, you probably have more things to plug into your computer than available ports. That's why we've now added the Pluggable USB-C 7-in-1 Hub. Plug it into your laptop and you will get 3 USB ports, SD and Micro SD card slots, a USBC charging port, and an HDMI video port. It's available now for just $29.95:
Sponsor Since: June 11th 2020
Website: https://www.atguys.com/ 🌐
Phone: (269) 216-4798 ☎
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org ✉
Skype: atguys ✆
Twitter: https://twitter.com/atguys (@atguys) ✍
Facebook: https://facebook.com/atguys ✍
About: ATGuys.com. Your access technology experts, home for cool gadgets, accessories, and more. Our products are all tested to work great for blind and visually impaired users but also work just as well for anyone. If there's an item you're looking for, or if you have a question, please don't hesitate to send us a message or call (269) 216-4798 ☎.
Top Tech Tidbits is the world's leading adaptive technology publication that reaches over 10,000 adaptive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts, all over the world, each week.
Top Tech Tidbits offers a total of 12 Sponsorship Packages which are used to support the ongoing distribution of the publication.
There are currently 0 of these 12 packages available.
If you are interested in becoming a Top Tech Tidbits sponsor we encourage you to join our waiting list by sending an email to: email@example.com ✉.
Once you have joined our waiting list we will notify you the next time a current sponsor decides not to renew. You will then be given 72 hours to secure your sponsorship before it is offered to the next sponsor on the list.
When available you can secure one of these packages for just $325.00 USD for the next 3 months, or save $100.00 USD and join us for the year. All Sponsorship Packages are offered on a first-come, first serve basis. Please help us to support the ongoing distribution of this publication. Consider showing your support for the world's #1 online resource for current news and trends in adaptive technology, and enjoy these incredible benefits. Learn more today at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com/sponsorship-information.html
Top Tech Tidbits Supporters:
We couldn't do it without you! Thank you for your support!
Tidbits Supporters donate an amount of their choosing on an annual basis in order to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication.
If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support.
In tandem with Our Sponsors, these are the people that make the ongoing distribution of Tidbits possible:
1.) Gary Lee
2.) Anonymous Donation
3.) Pshon Barrett
1.) Howard Goldstein
2.) David Goldstein
3.) Katherine Crohan
1.) Your name here. Help support Tidbits today.
1.) Steven Wettlaufer
2.) Shaun Everiss
Top Tech Tidbits Subscription Information:
ABOUT:Founded in 2004, Top Tech Tidbits is a leading Adaptive Technology publication that reaches over 10,000 assistive technology professionals, educators and enthusiasts each week. Sign up here. Review the archive here. Adaptive Technology refers to items that are specifically designed for people with disabilities. Adaptive Technology is a subset of Assistive Technology. Adaptive Technology often refers specifically to electronic and information technology access. Top Tech Tidbits is a Mind Vault Solutions, Ltd. Publication. Publisher: Aaron Di Blasi. Contributing Editors: John Hanlin, Jenna Lang. Top Tech Tidbits is a sponsor and reader supported publication.
RELEASE SCHEDULE:Top Tech Tidbits is released every Thursday morning at 4:00 AM ET.
SUBSCRIBE:Do you, a friend, or colleague wish to receive the Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter? If so, please use or pass along our CAPTCHA-free sign-up link, which is: https://toptechtidbits.com/subscribe. You can also subscribe to receive the Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter on the Top Tech Tidbits Website at: https://www.toptechtidbits.com. Either of these methods will provide you with an accessibly friendly and secure medium through which you can subscribe to our mailing list. Just enter your email address, click send, and begin receiving the Top Tech Tidbits Newsletter. It's that easy.
SPONSOR:If you would like to become 1 of only 18 Top Tech Tidbits Sponsors whose annual support makes the distribution of Top Tech Tidbits possible, we offer you the following benefits, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://toptechtidbits.com/sponsor.
SUPPORT:If you would like to become a Tidbits Supporter by making a small annual donation to assist with the ongoing distribution of the Top Tech Tidbits publication, we offer the following options, with our sincerest thanks, and most heartfelt gratitude for your ongoing support: https://toptechtidbits.com/donate.
WEBSITE:Visit the Top Tech Tidbits website online at https://www.toptechtidbits.com.
FACEBOOK:Are you on Facebook? Stop by and "Like" Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your Facebook News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/facebook.
X (FORMERLY TWITTER):Are you on X? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your X News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/x.
LINKEDIN:Are you on LinkedIn? Follow Top Tech Tidbits to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology as part of your LinkedIn News Feed: https://toptechtidbits.com/linkedin.
RSS:Do you prefer RSS? Follow Top Tech Tidbits via RSS today to begin receiving current news and trends in Adaptive Technology using your choice of news aggregator: https://toptechtidbits.com/rss.
QUESTIONS:Tidbits are intentionally concise. As a result we know that some readers may not always understand all of the items listed because little explanation is given. If a particular Tidbit brings up a question in your mind, feel free to ask, and we will try to answer as time and knowledge permit.
ARCHIVEVisit the Top Tech Tidbits Archive at: https://toptechtidbits.com/archive where you can grab back issues.
CONTENT CONTRIBUTORS:Any information for future issues of Top Tech Tidbits may be submitted online via our Top Tech Tidbit Submission Form at: https://toptechtidbits.com/submit-tidbit or directed to our Editors at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Home: Top Tech Tidbits||News: Top Tech Tidbits||Podcast: Top Tech Tidbits||Subscribe: Top Tech Tidbits||Donate: Top Tech Tidbits||Facebook: Top Tech Tidbits||X: Top Tech Tidbits||Mastodon: Top Tech Tidbits||LinkedIn: Top Tech Tidbits||YouTube: Top Tech Tidbits||RSS: Top Tech Tidbits||Back to Top|
Information provided by: